View Full Version : Things I miss growing up in OKC

Pages : [1] 2

biznesschic1959
01-03-2014, 11:50 PM
I now live in Virginia, however, this site brings up memories of growing up in OKC:

The Easter egg hunt at Springlake park on Easter Sunday
Getting a ticket and a day off from school to attend the Fair
The hotdogs at Coney Island on the southside
The sales clerk at the Sears on NW 23rd, calling the Sears on the southside, to see if the item my mother wanted was in stock there.
Dinner at Adairs Cafeteria after Mass.
The local telethon that cut in between Jerry Lewis national telethon. How my mother would cry and have me call in a pledge.
The BC Clark jingle
Hanging out at Sheppard Mall
Riding horses at Draper lake, on weekends that we didn't visit my Grandma's farm in Durant, to ride horses
Picking up my older brother from Central State college, when Edmond was mainly farm land
When there were no cars on the road, because OU was playing Texas, and everyone was glued to the TV
Going to Cattleman's Cafe, because we had "company" in town
The old GEX on Eastern Ave
Our old phone number started with GA
Al's Ice cream
Stepping over dogs and goats to get to Pullums barbeque
Dunns Dairy Queen
Playing kick ball in the street, and moving out of the way when someone yelled "car"
Dad bringing his bottle to the restaurant, because of liquor by the drink
Split T hamburgers

Please add your memories, as I am now a big city girl.

Pete
01-04-2014, 03:47 PM
^

I remember the get-out-of-school fair day and I always loved going on that day because there were tons of other kids.

Here is my list:

A rare restaurant meal for our family, usually at Nicolosi's
Double R burgers at Roy Rogers
Choosing from the dozens of restaurant options at lunch on 39th street between Meridian & McArthur
Walking to the Braum's near 63rd & Meridian for a hot fudge sundae (building is now Casa Perico)
Browsing through TG&Y as a kid; it seemed to have everything a kid could want: candy, toys, sporting goods, 45's and albums
Our phone number on the harvest gold rotary phone hanging on the kitchen wall stared with PArkside
Skating at Comet with tons of other kids my age
Having a blast at Wedgewood, both the amusement park and huge pool
Walking down to the new library at 63rd & McArthur
Walking to Rollingwood Elementary
Being able to see the movie at Cinema 70 from our neighborhood
My mom popping grocery bags full of popcorn and the whole family going to the movies at Cinema 70
Swimming at Twilight Beach when I was very little
Fourth of July block parties with homemade ice cream
$1 would buy tons of candy and an Icee at 7/11
We knew everyone on our block and most the people in our neighborhood
I went 12 straight years of public school with a lot of the same kids
The ice cream truck bringing push-ups (orange sherbet)
Playing little league baseball at 50th west of Council (right by Ho-Ho's old house)
Watching Foreman Scotty on TV (and going once to see it live)
Channel 5 was located very nearby at 63rd & Portland
Driving by the old Baptist Children's Home on 63rd (now Waterford) and think it was cool and scary at the same time
Going to McDonald's -- maybe twice a year -- was a HUGE deal
Throwing papers on my stingray bike -- both the Oklahoman and OKC Times (afternoon)
James Bond movies and variious musicals at the Continental
We had to be outside all the time in the summer; we were never allowed in and could only watch some TV at night
I cut the grass for my neighbors when they were out of town or ill (the idea of my parents) and never expected to be paid
Most of my parents' "couple friends" lived on our block
Going to Putnam City football and basketball games, even when I was in elementary and junior high, as I had older siblings
89er games at All Sports Stadium
Blazers hockey at the Fairgrounds Arena
Meeting my grandmother at the Santa Fe Train Station; she visited from Milwaukee about once a year
When the Cox Center first opened as the "Incomparable Myriad"
Christopher's Restaurant near Will Rogers Park
Molly Murphy's was an absolute sensation for several years
Buying our Christmas tree at Coits and getting a root beer in a frosty mug

zookeeper
01-04-2014, 04:16 PM
Wow. Two great lists that have me strolling down memory lane. There's so much I forget until I see it mentioned again and it all comes rolling back. Pete, like you, I also threw the Oklahoman and Times - what great fun I had doing that (until I had to go "collect for the paper" from the stragglers who never seemed caught up). I ended up at Channel 5 at 63rd and Portland several times for kids birthday parties at The Ho-Ho Show, and then Foreman Scotty and the Golden Horseshoe and the lasso to win it. The trips to 7/11 for baseball cards in the summer. Oh, the memories.

Pete
01-04-2014, 04:21 PM
Yes, collecting for a paper route was a nightmare. Strange that we had to do that at all... Why didn't they just get a bill?

And on Sundays, you had to go to a specific place to pick up the papers; on other days they would be dropped on your curb.

Many days in the freezing cold getting up a 5AM to roll the papers, then go throw them on my bike.

PennyQuilts
01-04-2014, 04:55 PM
Biznesschic, where in Virginia? I was raised here but lived in Northern Virginia for ten years before coming home four years ago.

These are great lists that take me back.

Mel
01-04-2014, 06:00 PM
Yes, collecting for a paper route was a nightmare. Strange that we had to do that at all... Why didn't they just get a bill?

And on Sundays, you had to go to a specific place to pick up the papers; on other days they would be dropped on your curb.

Many days in the freezing cold getting up a 5AM to roll the papers, then go throw them on my bike.

Don't forget that wonderful little sting from a rubber band breaking on those cold days.

OKCRT
01-04-2014, 06:38 PM
I now live in Virginia, however, this site brings up memories of growing up in OKC:

The Easter egg hunt at Springlake park on Easter Sunday
Getting a ticket and a day off from school to attend the Fair
The hotdogs at Coney Island on the southside
The sales clerk at the Sears on NW 23rd, calling the Sears on the southside, to see if the item my mother wanted was in stock there.
Dinner at Adairs Cafeteria after Mass.
The local telethon that cut in between Jerry Lewis national telethon. How my mother would cry and have me call in a pledge.
The BC Clark jingle
Hanging out at Sheppard Mall
Riding horses at Draper lake, on weekends that we didn't visit my Grandma's farm in Durant, to ride horses
Picking up my older brother from Central State college, when Edmond was mainly farm land
When there were no cars on the road, because OU was playing Texas, and everyone was glued to the TV
Going to Cattleman's Cafe, because we had "company" in town
The old GEX on Eastern Ave
Our old phone number started with GA
Al's Ice cream
Stepping over dogs and goats to get to Pullums barbeque
Dunns Dairy Queen
Playing kick ball in the street, and moving out of the way when someone yelled "car"
Dad bringing his bottle to the restaurant, because of liquor by the drink
Split T hamburgers

Please add your memories, as I am now a big city girl.

Great list. Surprised to not see OTASCO on there. Jiffy Pop

gjl
01-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Pete, except for just a couple of items, that could very easily be my list. You must have grown up very close to where I did at around the same time. Although our phone hanging on the kitchen wall was yellow and we has a WIndsor phone number. Do you remember dollar days at Wedgewood?

Pete
01-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Pete, except for just a couple of items, that could very easily be my list. You must have grown up very close to where I did at around the same time. Although our phone hanging on the kitchen wall was yellow and we has a WIndsor phone number. Do you remember dollar days at Wedgewood?

I grew up on 64th Street, almost halfway between Meridian and McArthur. Moved into that house when I was 3 and we didn't sell it until I was 29.

I was born in 1960 and we moved into what was new construction in 1963.

My whole world was really in the one square mile around my house and now that I look at my list, there was quite a bit for a kid in that small area. Later, when they opened WestPark Mall, there was even a movie theater we could walk to. And Godfather's opened in the same area and that became a great hangout and a source of unlimited free pizza for me when I was home from college, as my younger sister worked there. There was a great Pizza Planet at 63rd & Meridian, too. And a nice park with tennis courts just down the street. I became a competitive tennis player due to this proximity, something that has served me well all through adulthood.

I don't remember dollar days because Wedgewood closed when I was still quite young. But I have great video my dad took from one trip there about 1966, which includes the pool as well.

mugofbeer
01-04-2014, 07:17 PM
You probably knew my ex-wife! LOL

gjl
01-04-2014, 07:22 PM
Skating after the Blazer hockey games and renting the skates for 50 cents.
My dad's company (Western Electric) picnics at Wedgewood
Seeing Hermans Hermits and Gary Lewis and the Playboys at Wedgewood.
Being on A schedule my Sr year in HS, starting an hour earlier than everyone else (0 Hour) and being done for the day after 3rd hour. Going home for a quick lunch then going to work at Browns Lawn Equipment.
Driving through the Classen Traffic Circle
Having to go shopping with my parents at AMC, GEX and Gibsons downtown on I think 6th st.
Eating at Adairs Cafateria on 23rd and Drexel
Eating at Val Genes Cafeteria at Penn Square.
Shopping at Penn Square before it was enclosed.
Buying fireworks on NW Highway and Macarthur every 4th of July
Having pop bottle rocket fights with my friends.
Going to the Haunted House at night somewhere around 36th or 30th and Council.
Parking with my girlfriends at Lake Overholser.
Trying to win prizes on the crane games at the fair.
Shakeys Pizza on 39th
Shotgun Sams Pizza on May
Eating at Big Boy on 50th and May and getting the Big Boy comic book.
Buying parts for my car at Save Auto.
Recording 8 track tapes at a stereo shop on 36th and May by picking the songs you wanted on it off a juke box looking machine.
Hanging out on 39th st every night in the summer once I was old enough to drive.
Having classes in the T (temporary) Buildings at Putnam City HS.
Riding my mini bike at the Dolese sand pit.
Collecting for the paper in Dec. Almost everyone would give you a nice tip.
Car hopping at Coits on 39th and Penn for 35 cents an hour plus tips. (my first job)
Playing Jr Golf at Hefner GC.
Buying gas for between 22 and 32 cents a gallon. Cheapest I ever bought gas was 19.9 cents a gallon.
DX gas stations with the dial on the pump with either 6 or 8 octane choices.
Hans BBQ on I think 10th st.
Neptune Submarine sandwiches. 16th and Rockwell. Their roast beef subs were great.

Pete
01-04-2014, 07:26 PM
^

Great list. Forgot about that fireworks stand!

What year did you graduate from PC?

gjl
01-04-2014, 07:26 PM
I grew up on 64th Street, almost halfway between Meridian and McArthur. Moved into that house when I was 3 and we didn't sell it until I was 29.

I was born in 1960 and we moved into what was new construction in 1963.

My whole world was really in the one square mile around my house and now that I look at my list, there was quite a bit for a kid in that small area. Later, when they opened WestPark Mall, there was even a movie theater we could walk to. And Godfather's opened in the same area and that became a great hangout and a source of unlimited free pizza for me when I was home from college, as my younger sister worked there. There was a great Pizza Planet at 63rd & Meridian, too. And a nice park with tennis courts just down the street. I became a competitive tennis player due to this proximity, something that has served me well all through adulthood.

I don't remember dollar days because Wedgewood closed when I was still quite young. But I have great video my dad took from one trip there about 1966, which includes the pool as well.

You are 5 yrs younger than me and I was on 61st st about 1 mile east of you between Tulsa and Vermont. Ours was a new neighborhood built between 1958 and 1960. It was settled by a lot of management people who transfered to OKC when the Western Electric plant opened in June 1960. Graduated PCHS in 73.

Jim Kyle
01-04-2014, 09:10 PM
I grew up on 64th Street, almost halfway between Meridian and McArthur. Moved into that house when I was 3 and we didn't sell it until I was 29.So you were north of 63rd. Do you remember Little Silver Lake, just to the north of NW 57 and Ann Arbor? My best man lived there and I have fond memories of swimming in that little lake. Sometime in the mid-60s the whole area got bought up by an apartment developer, Ann Arbor got closed off, and I've never had the heart to explore NW 57 west of Meridian to see if it still runs over to Bart's house (it was literally on the north, northwest, and west sides of the intersection, since both streets dead-ended right there).

gjl
01-04-2014, 09:38 PM
That lake is still there. Accessing it and the houses on it from on 57th going west from Meridian, I believe it is a secured gated access now. In 1972-73, I was working for an attorney who was building a house there. His name was Dick Tourtelotte. When I wasn't busy at his office he would have me go to his house under construction there and do clean up work. Things like sweeping the floor and picking up trash from the construction. I remember working on a retaining wall that was supposed to keep sand he had trucked in from washing into the lake. I also remember thinking the house was so cool because it had a 4 car garage with 4 separate doors.
And when I was in grade school in the 60s, I went to school with Ray Ackerman whose father was the Ackerman Advertising Ray Ackerman. I'm pretty sure they lived on that lake but on the west side of it that you accessed off of Grove. I can remember going to Ray's house to play and it being on that lake.

gjl
01-04-2014, 10:19 PM
And right there where 57th st dead ended is where we would get into the Dolese Sand Pits just to the south.

There is a bigger lake to the south of that one that they built apartments on. It is closer to 50th and Grove.

biznesschic1959
01-10-2014, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=PennyQuilts;727446]Biznesschic, where in Virginia? I was raised here but lived in Northern Virginia for ten years before coming home four years ago.

These are great lists that take me back.[/QUOTEV

Arlington VA. However, not the same. I envy when I meet the people I grew up with. So simple and peaceful.

biznesschic1959
01-10-2014, 07:47 PM
So you were north of 63rd. Do you remember Little Silver Lake, just to the north of NW 57 and Ann Arbor? My best man lived there and I have fond memories of swimming in that little lake. Sometime in the mid-60s the whole area got bought up by an apartment developer, Ann Arbor got closed off, and I've never had the heart to explore NW 57 west of Meridian to see if it still runs over to Bart's house (it was literally on the north, northwest, and west sides of the intersection, since both streets dead-ended right there).

I think it is now an apt complex.

biznesschic1959
01-10-2014, 07:50 PM
^

I remember the get-out-of-school fair day and I always loved going on that day because there were tons of other kids.

Here is my list:

A rare restaurant meal for our family, usually at Nicolosi's
Double R burgers at Roy Rogers
Choosing from the dozens of restaurant options at lunch on 39th street between Meridian & McArthur
Walking to the Braum's near 63rd & Meridian for a hot fudge sundae (building is now Casa Perico)
Browsing through TG&Y as a kid; it seemed to have everything a kid could want: candy, toys, sporting goods, 45's and albums
Our phone number on the harvest gold rotary phone hanging on the kitchen wall stared with PArkside
Skating at Comet with tons of other kids my age
Having a blast at Wedgewood, both the amusement park and huge pool
Walking down to the new library at 63rd & McArthur
Walking to Rollingwood Elementary
Being able to see the movie at Cinema 70 from our neighborhood
My mom popping grocery bags full of popcorn and the whole family going to the movies at Cinema 70
Swimming at Twilight Beach when I was very little
Fourth of July block parties with homemade ice cream
$1 would buy tons of candy and an Icee at 7/11
We knew everyone on our block and most the people in our neighborhood
I went 12 straight years of public school with a lot of the same kids
The ice cream truck bringing push-ups (orange sherbet)
Playing little league baseball at 50th west of Council (right by Ho-Ho's old house)
Watching Foreman Scotty on TV (and going once to see it live)
Channel 5 was located very nearby at 63rd & Portland
Driving by the old Baptist Children's Home on 63rd (now Waterford) and think it was cool and scary at the same time
Going to McDonald's -- maybe twice a year -- was a HUGE deal
Throwing papers on my stingray bike -- both the Oklahoman and OKC Times (afternoon)
James Bond movies and variious musicals at the Continental
We had to be outside all the time in the summer; we were never allowed in and could only watch some TV at night
I cut the grass for my neighbors when they were out of town or ill (the idea of my parents) and never expected to be paid
Most of my parents' "couple friends" lived on our block
Going to Putnam City football and basketball games, even when I was in elementary and junior high, as I had older siblings
89er games at All Sports Stadium
Blazers hockey at the Fairgrounds Arena
Meeting my grandmother at the Santa Fe Train Station; she visited from Milwaukee about once a year
When the Cox Center first opened as the "Incomparable Myriad"
Christopher's Restaurant near Will Rogers Park
Molly Murphy's was an absolute sensation for several years
Buying our Christmas tree at Coits and getting a root beer in a frosty mug

Oh my God, if you remember the old Baptist home, you are a true Oklahoman.

biznesschic1959
01-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Great list. Surprised to not see OTASCO on there. Jiffy Pop
Otasco always had the smell of bicycle tires!

biznesschic1959
01-10-2014, 07:54 PM
You are 5 yrs younger than me and I was on 61st st about 1 mile east of you between Tulsa and Vermont. Ours was a new neighborhood built between 1958 and 1960. It was settled by a lot of management people who transfered to OKC when the Western Electric plant opened in June 1960. Graduated PCHS in 73.

Mom worked at that plant on Council RD. Graduated Bishop McGuinness HS 1977.

biznesschic1959
01-10-2014, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys. More memories:

Mom buying dinner at Kimberly's IGA in Sheppard Mall, after a hard day of "shopping".
Lunch at Shotgun Sams after groceries at Tinker Field commissary. Queen of hearts, your order is ready.
School trip to the Planetarium, when it was located at the fair grounds.
School trips to the OKC symphony.
Watching the movie Shaft at the Centre theater, and eating at Kips big boy afterwards.
Graduating from Bishop McGuinness, and painting over the bridge on Western, from John Marshall.
Watching Springlake park burn, for the third time that year.
McMahans Hamburgers and onion rings, on NW 36th street
Patience Latting, the awesome female mayor
Shoe shopping at John A brown, downtown.
Implosion of the Biltmore hotel
Birthday cakes from Browns bakery
Winning the lucky penny on Foreman Scotty
Dad negotiating a house full of furniture from Jude and Jody
The fried chicken and all the fixins from Sleepy Hollow restaurant.

zookeeper
01-10-2014, 08:40 PM

Mom buying dinner at Kimberly's IGA in Sheppard Mall, after a hard day of "shopping".
Lunch at Shotgun Sams after groceries at Tinker Field commissary. Queen of hearts, your order is ready.
Watching the movie Shaft at the Centre theater, and eating at Kips big boy afterwards.
Graduating from Bishop McGuinness, and painting over the bridge on Western, from John Marshall.

Another great list. I bolded the implosion of the old Biltmore/Sheraton Hotel. That was a sad day. I met former Senator and Vice-President Hubert Humphrey when he was running for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1972 (losing to McGovern) in the lobby of that hotel. The Democratic Party had their offices there for quite a few years too.

OKCRT
01-10-2014, 09:52 PM

Did you know that there was a pool hall above Kips Big Boy downtown? I think I watched Shaft at the old Centre also.

jdcf
01-10-2014, 10:25 PM
Watermelon stand on N May and 39th, east side of street
Drive up milk stand on N May and about 65th, west side of street
Downtown John A Brown and Rothschilds with elevator operators
Ate out a lot: Kips, Split T, Beef n Bun, Anna Maude, Sussy's, House of Chan on Western, Kaiser's ice cream parlor, lots of other cafeterias
Beautiful old YWCA bldg downtown
Former will rogers airport terminal, without concourses
Thanks all for great memories.

jmpokc1957
01-11-2014, 11:41 AM
So you were north of 63rd. Do you remember Little Silver Lake, just to the north of NW 57 and Ann Arbor? My best man lived there and I have fond memories of swimming in that little lake. Sometime in the mid-60s the whole area got bought up by an apartment developer, Ann Arbor got closed off, and I've never had the heart to explore NW 57 west of Meridian to see if it still runs over to Bart's house (it was literally on the north, northwest, and west sides of the intersection, since both streets dead-ended right there).

I had a friend that lived on that lake at the intersection of NW 57th and Anne Arbor. There's a private drive that juts into the lake there( Broadlawn, I think ) and
he lived off that street. All this at the NW corner of the Dolese sand pit where we would find lots of petrified wood pieces.

jmpokc1957
01-11-2014, 11:47 AM
Pete,

Ditto for me on all that. I lived about two streets to the east of you on Sterling drive. I would walk to Braums for a hamburger and a limeade. I went to PC schools for all 12 years, Rollingwood Elementary, Hefner Jr. High( what a nightmare! ) and PCHS( 1975). One of the things I miss most about moving away from OKC is following the lives of people I grew up with for so many years. Oh well, that's the way it goes.

Pete
01-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Some others:

The Santa house in the middle of Penn Square before it was enclosed
Movies at Shepherd Mall -- you could wait in line INSIDE which was a big deal
Same with French Market Cinema and later West Park and Northpark
Buying all my school clothes at Anthony's
50 Penn was a thriving, high-end mall
Hanging out at Pizza Planet, Shotgun Sams and Shakeys after PC football games
Cruising 39th
Playing Putt-Putt on 39th
The OKC Zoo with the old money ship, wishing well, etc.
School field trips to the "Cowboy Hall of Fame" and state capitol
The wonder of Crossroads Mall when it opened with Le Mans and Farrells and everything else
John A. Browns seemed to be soooo upscale
Ice cream at J.B. Nimbles
Collecting the stickers off Icee cups to get free Icees
Getting/giving "books" of lifesavers at school Christmas parties
We would get an absolute crush of kids on Halloween and I could fill up my sack on just two or three streets in my neighborhood
Those horrible plastic masks and nylon smocks that passed as Halloween costumes
Moms would make pencil holders out of hand towels (sewed them together then they hung from the arm of the desk to the seatback)
Everybody shopped at Safeway or IGA
Going to Candlewood restaurant for Mother's Day

biznesschic1959
01-11-2014, 03:22 PM
Arlington Va. Not the same.

biznesschic1959
01-11-2014, 03:30 PM
[QUOTE=zookeeper;731048]Another great list. I bolded the implosion of the old Biltmore/Sheraton Hotel. That was a sad day. I met former Senator and Vice-President Hubert Humphrey when he was running for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1972 (losing to McGovern) in the lobby of that hotel. The Democratic Party had their offices there for quite a few years too.[/QUOhe]

I know. My mother has the original brick from the demolition.

soonerguru
01-12-2014, 03:11 PM
Anyone remember Pick's Fine Foods on Britton Road? That used to be a very good restaurant.

ctchandler
01-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Soonerguru,
I ate there several times. It was not far from Hertz (104th and Penn). I discovered them too late to eat there on a regular basis.
C. T.
Anyone remember Pick's Fine Foods on Britton Road? That used to be a very good restaurant.

whorton
06-19-2014, 03:35 AM
My personal list. Consider, I was born in mid '59, grew up around 21st and Agnew until 71, then moved to Del City. I made this list back in the early 80's and had stashed it in the first "Vanished Splendor" book.

-Hickory House BBQ (On 25th street West of Capitol Hill)
-The small Root Beer Stand that was near 44th and Villa
-The golden point restaurant 29th
-Der Wienerschnitzel
-The original Mcdonalds on SE 29th
-Humpty Dumpty on SW 29th (Remembering it burned in the 60's)
-John A. Browns Downtown
-John A. Browns Capitol hill. . especially the soda fountain on the Mezzanine.
-Langstons Capitol Hill
-Capitol Hill Bakery
-Capitol Hill Ice cream
-Knights grocery (Neighborhood store at 20th and Youngs They don't make em like that anymore.)
-Dynamites gas station at 20th and Agnew
-Inland Machine at 21st and Agnew (My grandfather owned it. )
-Shakeys Pizza Across from the old Park Terrace Theater
-any TG&Y Especially economy square and 74th and Penn
-Wedgewood amusement park
-Springlake amusement park
-Twilight Beach swimming
-Capitol Hill Record Store (Bought my first album there about '67)
-Safeway at about 46th and Shields
-Arlans
-GEX AND American Mutual Corporation
-Minnie Pearls fried Chicken (How many remember that short lived adventure)
-Hollies Drive in (The REAL and original!)
-Full Service Gas stations, especially TEXACO and DX (Remember DX Super boron, drive a car thats alive!)
-Dennis Donuts (on 29th)
-Docs Grocery store (25th and Agnew)
-Burger Chef
-Spartan Atlantic
-Scotties Barber shop at 20th and Agnew (1st Hair cut I remember)
-Brothertons Garage and auto parts
-Trademart
-Real lumber yards
-Trade winds motor hotel on I 40 (I would love a picture of that neon sign. . .still remember when they put it up. . so colorful and exotic at the time.)
-Beverleys at 29th and May
-"Robo car wash" at Penn and Grand
-Dunn's Dairy queen at 26th and May
-Joe Esco tires (there jingle still hangs in my memory!)
-B Betas gift and poster store at Shepherd mall. . (posters were quite in style in the late 60's)
-Abextra
-Jenkins (Shepherd mall parents bought a piano there)
-Katz Drug
-Davis & Irion (Grand parents sold furniture there.)
-Capitol Hill Bank (my first account)
-Hermans Sea food
-Hickory Pit on N. May (10th IIRC)
-Odom Motel on S. Shields (Well at least the sign with the diving girl)
-Elmwood Swimming pool
-Oil Derricks around town
-The Oklahoma city times (absorbed by OPUBCO but they continue to make the archives of the paper available!)
-The Oklahoma Journal (thanks for all the efforts to get it scanned!)
-The Biltmore
-Veazey's Drugs
-the Classen Cafeteria
-Mrs. Botts antique store that was on south Shields
-Blazers Hockey at the Fair grounds
-Stock car races at the Fair grounds
-The following theatres. . some I attended and a few that I did not
*Airline Drive-in (many movies as a child)
*77 Drive-in (Many)
*Hillcrest Drive-in (was a projectionist there)
*14 Flags Drive-in (was a projectionist there near the sordid end)
*Riveria Drive-in (was a projectionist there also)
*Soldier Creek Drive-in
*Tinker Drive-in (Its remains sparked my interest in drive-in theaters.)
*Twilight Gardens Drive-in
*Northwest Highway Drive-in
*Circle Drive-in
*Lake Air Drive-in
*Lake Aire Drive-in
*Del Drive in (have to admit, it was gone and I never went there)
*North Penn Twin Drive-in
*Sooner Twin Drive-in
-66 Drive-in theatre
*Redskin Theatre (filled in as projectionist in the early 80s before it closed.)
*Knob Hill Theatre
*SkyTrain Theatre
*Yale Theatre
*Park Terrace Theatre
*Almonte theatre (man was I getting old when it opened!)
*Reding 4 Theatre.

Television Sign offs (Thanks to Mike Ransom of Tulsa TV memories for that one. Those just sort of faded from memory (like lunch in a memory unit.) with the advent of cable TV. ..

Radio stations like KWHP, KXXY when it was still a rock format. . the OLD KOMA, WKY and KTOK (My mom listened everywhere we went! )

Columbus school, where I attended K-6, will soon be torn down. . .

My old house at 2331 SW 21.

I really understand those feelings of loss as the things of your youth are taken away, never to be seen again. The places where you lived, worked, played, existed. . . ripped out like copper wire in a crack house!

Lastly, I totally agree with the idea that I.M. Pei for his destruction of OKC, along with that idiot who tore down the "aging grand stand" at the fair grounds. . both should have been slapped around like a cheap mosquito on the 4th of July!

I know, some of these things are in Del City and Midwest city. . but still parts of my memory!

bchris02
06-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Radio stations like KWHP, KXXY when it was still a rock format. . the OLD KOMA, WKY and KTOK (My mom listened everywhere we went! )

I miss KKWD Wild 97.9 in its prime, prior to the purchase by Cumulus. That station was very high-energy and edgy back in the day, especially prior to their move to the 104.9 frequency. Even after I moved away from OKC I listened to the station online. Today they sound like a small town radio station playing mostly dated hip-hop and Top 40 that nobody wants to hear in 2014.

PennyQuilts
06-19-2014, 01:42 PM
Mom worked at that plant on Council RD. Graduated Bishop McGuinness HS 1977.

I was there at the same time. Supposed to graduate in 1976 but graduated a year early.

gjl
06-19-2014, 11:35 PM
whorton, I remember KWHP. That is a good one. And Burger Chef, or Mustard Burger as we called them. And you left off Cinema 70 Drive in on NW Highway between Meridian and MacArthur.

My sister graduated from McGuinness in 1970. She went to school with Linda Cavanaugh who who I think graduated in 1969.

whorton
06-19-2014, 11:52 PM
. And you left off Cinema 70 Drive in on NW Highway between Meridian and MacArthur.

Eegads Man!. . . you are absolutely correct, I did infact omit the Cinema 70. When composing the list, at first I just intended to list the Drive in Theatres that I had actually attended. But, as I thought about it, I certainly would have liked to have attended them all. More importantly, Take pictures.

Fate seems to have intervened though. I had taken a set of the old Penn Twin and NW Highway with an old style 35mm camera. Sadly, the film did not advance. . At least I did get a decent set of the the Hillcrest about a week before they demolished it. My biggest regret however, is not having taken a set of the 14 Flags when I worked there. I also visited it before the tore it down and someone had horribly vandalized the whole of the concession stand.

But then, I wish I had started much younger and gotten film of the neon signs at the drive-ins and around the city. Hindsight is always 20-20!

soonergeezer
08-05-2014, 01:42 AM
I grew up in the Village, and for some reason I never ate at Picks. I also went to John Marshall in the late 60s.

soonergeezer
08-05-2014, 02:20 AM
whorton, I remember KWHP. That is a good one. And Burger Chef, or Mustard Burger as we called them. And you left off Cinema 70 Drive in on NW Highway between Meridian and MacArthur.

My sister graduated from McGuinness in 1970. She went to school with Linda Cavanaugh who who I think graduated in 1969.

I had a friend that worked at Roy Rogers at nw 59th and May and Linda Cavanaugh worked there also, she was a pain in the ass to be around. Always telling on my friend if he had any fun while on the clock. The managers name was Vonda, and she and Cavanaugh were always harassing my friend. I think the term in those days was "goody 2 shoes", never exactly new what that meant but that was what she was called.

soonergeezer
08-05-2014, 10:26 PM
This is not something I actually miss, but something really cool that happened to me when I was pretty young growing up in the Village. Do you remember Bob Genni(not sure about the spelling)? He was, I believe the director at the zoo. Anyway he lived in the Village on the corner of Penn and I think Carlisle. One morning I was throwing my paper route and passed by Mr. Genni's house and there were 2 baby white tigers playing in his yard. He saw me out in front of his house and was probably a little concerned I might mess with his tigers. He called out and told me to not touch them(he had a small wooden fence around his yard), so they couldn't get out. After a few minutes he came out and picked one of the tigers up and walked over to the fence and let me pet it. We talked for a few minutes and then I remembered I needed to finish my paper route. This happened in the early 60s, but I still remember clearly how cool it was and how nice Mr Genni was.

Tritone
08-05-2014, 10:42 PM
Saw many of Bob Jenni's presentations, mostly on TV. Glad you were able to see him and his tigers in person. He was part of that great era of local television programming for kids (and grown-up kids) that is long gone.

ljbab728
08-05-2014, 10:43 PM
His name was Bob Jenni, He was never a director at the zoo but did have some connections there.

James Robert "Bob Jenni | News OK (http://newsok.com/james-robert-bob-jenni/article/2886726)

soonergeezer
08-05-2014, 10:55 PM
A few places no one has mentioned, there was a walk-in theatre just north of 39th and Macarthur, also the North Penn Twin drive-in out around 122nd and n. Penn, Orange Julious(not sure about the spelling) in Casady square, Godfathers Pizza, Panchos Mexican food, Serapios Mexican food before they moved to El Reno(just north of May and Hefner), Ramones mex. food (North Park Mall), there was a great audio store also just north of hefner(can't remember the name) maybe the Gramophone, Gaslight theatre, anyone remember the Jolly Roger ice cream truck? Also Kinneys shoe stores, I also remember a bowling alley on the south side that had poles near the lanes(support poles floor to ceiling) never seen that again. There was a swimming pool in the Village on Penn, I think it called Mike Bumpass pool, It seems as though it was the name of a kid that had drowned in a pond where the pool was built years earlier. There's more but I falling asleep, finally.

soonergeezer
08-05-2014, 11:04 PM
Saw many of Bob Jenni's presentations, mostly on TV. Glad you were able to see him and his tigers in person. He was part of that great era of local television programming for kids (and grown-up kids) that is long gone.

Yes, sadly that era is pretty much gone. Danny Williams passing brought back many of those great memories. Another neat thing that happened to me and the class of 1969 John Marshall, Steve Powell(Foreman Scotty) gave our commencement. I really miss all the great things that were happening in the 50s and 60s in OKC.

ljbab728
08-05-2014, 11:24 PM
A few places no one has mentioned, there was a walk-in theatre just north of 39th and Macarthur, also the North Penn Twin drive-in out around 122nd and n. Penn, Orange Julious(not sure about the spelling) in Casady square, Godfathers Pizza, Panchos Mexican food, Serapios Mexican food before they moved to El Reno(just north of May and Hefner), Ramones mex. food (North Park Mall), there was a great audio store also just north of hefner(can't remember the name) maybe the Gramophone, Gaslight theatre, anyone remember the Jolly Roger ice cream truck? Also Kinneys shoe stores, I also remember a bowling alley on the south side that had poles near the lanes(support poles floor to ceiling) never seen that again. There was a swimming pool in the Village on Penn, I think it called Mike Bumpass pool, It seems as though it was the name of a kid that had drowned in a pond where the pool was built years earlier. There's more but I falling asleep, finally.
Actually a few of those things have been discussed in the nostalgia threads. As an example, probably every bowling alley ever built in OKC was discussed in the old bowling alley thread and most old movie theaters have been talked about in one thread or another.

ctchandler
08-06-2014, 10:04 AM
ljbab728,
Mr. Jenni was a "curator" at the OKC zoo. He was in charge of the reptile exhibit(s).
C. T.
His name was Bob Jenni, He was never a director at the zoo but did have some connections there.

James Robert "Bob Jenni | News OK (http://newsok.com/james-robert-bob-jenni/article/2886726)

Bellaboo
08-06-2014, 10:59 AM

Parents were good friends of Mr Pickens. I remember it opened in the summer of 1965 or 1966. We went a few times that summer.

Bullbear
08-06-2014, 11:02 AM
I remember there being a Go Kart track on McArthur I believe just south of Reno. and it had a Huge slide you could go down on a Burlap sack. me and my brothers and sisters would BEG to stop all the time!.

I also remember there use to be a Water Park off of I-35 called Family Fun park. the water slide was called the wet banana. after white Water opened it was a ghost town which made it PERFECT to not wait in lines!.

Achilleslastand
08-06-2014, 01:22 PM
I remember there being a Go Kart track on McArthur I believe just south of Reno. and it had a Huge slide you could go down on a Burlap sack. me and my brothers and sisters would BEG to stop all the time!.

I also remember there use to be a Water Park off of I-35 called Family Fun park. the water slide was called the wet banana. after white Water opened it was a ghost town which made it PERFECT to not wait in lines!.

If I am not mistaken the Go Kart track was on a road that ran west off of MacArthur{Sw 15th I think}where currently there is an auto salvage joint.

SomeGuy
08-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Eating at Coits at least once a week and enjoying one of their root beers in a frosty mug.
Blowing allowance money at the Lemans Arcade at Crossroads.
Eating Breakfast at the old IGA on NW 23rd and meridian.
Going bowling at 66 bowl.
Riding the giant tower and Monorail at the State Fair.
Back to school shopping at Crossroads.

Mel
08-06-2014, 08:40 PM
Shooting my own fireworks legally while living in OKC.

Tritone
08-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Riverside Salvage was the place (post 49). The man who worked there (ran it, whatever) could tell you where to find anything. "Third row, ninth car," for instance. I did not know his name but he had tanned, leathery skin and a long, dark beard.

At one time there was a rifle range on fifteenth. We could hear them shooting in the evenings. I think it was called Winchester Range or something like that.

ljbab728
08-06-2014, 09:01 PM
ljbab728,
Mr. Jenni was a "curator" at the OKC zoo. He was in charge of the reptile exhibit(s).
C. T.

Yes, that's exactly what the article I posted stated. He was never a zoo director, however.

ctchandler
08-07-2014, 08:39 AM
ljbab728,
Thanks, I obviously missed the article.
C. T.
Yes, that's exactly what the article I posted stated. He was never a zoo director, however.

BlackmoreRulz
08-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Riverside Salvage was the place (post 49). The man who worked there (ran it, whatever) could tell you where to find anything. "Third row, ninth car," for instance. I did not know his name but he had tanned, leathery skin and a long, dark beard.

At one time there was a rifle range on fifteenth. We could hear them shooting in the evenings. I think it was called Winchester Range or something like that.

There was also a drag strip south of McArthur Park Raceway that had bracket racing for awhile

hewi
10-20-2014, 09:54 PM
Huge Downtown Christmas Parades.933793369335

Mel
10-20-2014, 10:07 PM
I remember when I was in the AF when ever I had leave I would always hit a Del Rancho.

ctchandler
10-21-2014, 01:30 PM
I remember when I was in the AF when ever I had leave I would always hit a Del Rancho.

Mel,
You do know that there are still a few here don't you? I think there are six. I used to eat lunch once in a while (I was about 16 then) at the Ranch House on about 33 and South Western on the East side of Western. The lady that owned that started the Del Rancho restaurants.
C. T.

bchris02
10-21-2014, 09:29 PM
Huge Downtown Christmas Parades.933793369335

I think something like this could work if brought back today with the downtown resurgence. Does anybody agree?

ljbab728
10-21-2014, 09:42 PM
I think something like this could work if brought back today with the downtown resurgence. Does anybody agree?

Possibly, but there really is a ton of things going on downtown already at that time of the year.
Downtown OKC - Downtown in December > Downtown in December 2014 (http://www.downtownindecember.com/)