View Full Version : Power House

Pages : 1 [2]

turnpup
01-06-2015, 06:37 PM
We're not far from there. We're going to try to head down there for a drink or two sometime this weekend. Everybody needs to get the word out. These people were brave enough to be one of the first of their kind (if not *the* first of their kind) down there, and it'd be great to be able to help them succeed. This area has such huge potential!

Pete
01-06-2015, 06:43 PM
Will be very interesting to see how the Farmer's Market area connects with west downtown / Film Row.

I'm afraid the Boulevard is going to create a barrier that may serve to keep the Market area somewhat isolated

Pete
01-06-2015, 06:48 PM
BTW, I love the trend with these smaller, casual, local bars: Skinny Slims, WKSY, Slaughter's Hall, this place and soon-to-open Sidecar are all places where you can see yourself just coming to hang out and where you'd get to know people very easily.

I already feel that way about Skinny's and I have only been there a few times.

As they say in England, I could see any of these places becoming my 'local' and I've always loved the home pub aspect of the British/Irish/Scottish culture.

Motley
01-06-2015, 07:05 PM
Couldn't they add an overhead walkway for crossing the Boulevard? I wouldn't think they are that expensive to build in one or two in strategic places.

shavethewhales
01-06-2015, 07:58 PM
Nice. This is exactly the kind of place that would be my new usual hang-out. Too bad I'm two hours away, but I'll definitely drop in there on my next trip through the city.

IanMcDermid
01-07-2015, 01:20 AM
Shheeeeit. I'll be there all the time I'm free. This is my kind of place. And im more than willing to go out of the way to scratch my itch.

LakeEffect
01-07-2015, 07:12 AM
Couldn't they add an overhead walkway for crossing the Boulevard? I wouldn't think they are that expensive to build in one or two in strategic places.

They're more expensive than you think, due to ADA ramp/elevator requirements. I don't have any actual statistics, but my feeling has always been that an overhead walkway never gets used much... it just signifies separation. Making the street a place and ensuring that it's an easy walk across the street would make the area much more vibrant.

Urbanized
01-07-2015, 08:16 AM
The fact that we're even talking about overhead walkways over A FREAKING BOULEVARD (ostensibly NOT a controlled-access highway) only underscores what an abomination the existing design and proposed connection is on that section.

betts
01-07-2015, 08:48 AM
The fact that we're even talking about overhead walkways over A FREAKING BOULEVARD (ostensibly NOT a controlled-access highway) only underscores what an abomination the existing design and proposed connection is on that section.

I don't think we'll be much happier with what is left to come. What a massive abuse of taxpayer money the "boulevard" is.

metro
01-07-2015, 01:54 PM
The fact that we're even talking about overhead walkways over A FREAKING BOULEVARD (ostensibly NOT a controlled-access highway) only underscores what an abomination the existing design and proposed connection is on that section. So true, but alas look at our city leaders.

Motley
01-07-2015, 02:35 PM
In San Diego, we have overhead crosswalks on lots of boulevards as well as I-15. They don't have elevators but use ramps. I don't see them as an abomination as they are heavily used by joggers and walkers who would rather keep going than stop for a long light change. They also help around schools. I'll see if I can determine the cost for crossing a 6 lane boulevard as they just put one in near my development.

shawnw
01-07-2015, 06:01 PM
Will be very interesting to see how the Farmer's Market area connects with west downtown / Film Row.

I'm afraid the Boulevard is going to create a barrier that may serve to keep the Market area somewhat isolated

At the last boulevard meeting, in a direct conversation, I asked Eric Wenger about this specifically and he promised there would be nice wide sidewalks connecting Film Row with FM. He said something to the effect of, it can't be represented in the drawings yet because that's a city role and the drawings are still ODOT, but that the city is definitely mindful of that connectivity need.

turnpup
01-10-2015, 07:17 PM
We went tonight about 7:00. When we walked in the door, the place was pretty crowded. There were at least 25 people inside, filling almost all of the chairs, tables and barstools. It was a nice, homey type of atmosphere. People were clearly there to congregate with friends, as opposed to "picking up" strangers. The staff consisted of three ladies and one guy. All were exceptionally friendly and attentive, despite being quite busy.

Outside in the covered patio area is a nice fireplace. While it was a tad too cold tonight to hang out there, I could see lots of people taking advantage of it when the temperature is maybe in the 40s. It's a convenient place for the smokers to head out to as well. Tons of potential out there during the nice weather months.

The OU basketball game was being broadcast on the TV, and they had some music playing. Mostly, though, people were engaged in conversations with their friends.

We didn't order any food, but my husband got a bag of peanuts. It was a pretty big bag, and only cost $2. The people next to us at the bar got a meat, cheese, grapes and cracker sampler. It looked really good.

This little place is going to be a hit, I suspect. We will definitely go there again.

Snowman
01-10-2015, 09:57 PM

It is not like this is a depressed freeway, where a bridge over lanes that never stop could at least be a convenience. That is asking pedestrians to clime up and back down around twenty feet of stairs or the equivalent ramp, most would rather cross at a stoplight (which it has several of), mid block crossing (probably not given who is designing it) or j-walking (which the spreading of stoplights encourages). It would have been better to just tie the west end into California ave, the east end into 3rd, keep the grid and do some work updating those two streetscapes.

John Knight
01-12-2015, 07:16 AM
My wife and I stopped by around 8pm on Saturday night for a couple drinks. Most every seat was filled when we arrived so we sat at the bar. The staff was really attentive and friendly. I introduced myself to Clay Berkes (the owner) to let him know how good of a job he has done. He is really nice and seems like he knows what he's doing. He was walking around conversing with most everyone in the building when he was not backing up his bar staff. I look forward to going back.

Here is a picture I snapped of part of their patio. Can't wait until it warms up!

warreng88
01-12-2015, 07:44 AM
From the JR:

Power up: Bar brings energy to Farmers Market district

By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record January 9, 2015

OKLAHOMA CITY – The small structure west of the historic Oklahoma City Farmers Public Market Building once held the district’s power sources. Now, it could provide the energy the area needs to further its revitalization.

Clay Berkes has spent the last year renovating the building into The Power House bar on 1228 SW Second St. He wasn’t just writing checks to contractors. He was stripping paint, staining wood and pouring concrete.

“I inhaled this building’s dust,” he said. “I cultivated the ground. I planted the trees. As this point, me and this building are one. I ruined my hands. They healed, and I would ruin them again. This building is inside me.”

He said he wanted to do the build himself to make sure the place’s integrity was preserved. Also, it was more financially feasible to do the work himself.

“By the time you tell someone what your vision is, and go behind them to tell them that, you might as well do it yourself,” he said.

The 900-square-foot building has been transformed into a dimly lit, cozy bar with Victorian and steam punk design elements. Yet it still has Oklahoma flair, with burned wood tables, a repurposed maple bar top and leather-backed chairs. The bar top was previously the floor in a boxcar. Even the front doors are historic. They are 100 years old and hail from an old Oklahoma City office.

Berkes secured his permits Tuesday and held a soft opening that night. The bar serves specialty cocktails, local beers and some small-plate food. It will start serving lunch in mid-January, opening at 11 a.m. for diners. It will open daily until 2 a.m. Since opening, Berkes said he’s been able to introduce people to the district.

“(Berkes and other area business owners) think it’s the first domino for the district,” he said. “But I wouldn’t be here without Urban Agrarian owner Matt Burch.”

Urban Agrarian has been in the area since 2011. Burch said the new spot will be a positive change, and the upgrades started with the renovation.

“They really nailed the aesthetic and the vibe,” Burch said. “He did a lot of reclamation when he built it out. He really had it fit the area. For me and mine – we have a watering hole. I think it will help with all the folks in the district getting together and seeing what we’re all doing. Right now, that mostly happens over the phone or via email.”

He was at Tuesday’s opening, where people filled the small building. Burch said people who come to the area will not only find a good bar, they will see his business and other opportunities in the area. Also, people going to the Farmers Market building will be able to get a drink before an event.

“I am pro all of those things,” he said. “Plus, Clay’s a really awesome dude.”

Burch said another positive improvement the bar has brought to the district is greenery. Berkes tore up some concrete and put in landscaping.

“Come spring, summer, fall – it’s going to be a great place to hang out,” he said.

The more folks that come to hang out at The Power House, the better it could potentially be for the district, said Cathy O’Connor, president of The Alliance for Economic Development of Oklahoma City.

“A business that helps create positive, economic gains for the area is a good thing,” she said. “We need more of them down there.”

From what Berkes has heard, his work has earned nothing but uplifting reviews. He plans to someday spread that energy further in the city with a tree-planting program or music instrument drives for underprivileged students. First, however, he’s focusing on The Power House.

“When people come down here, they feel like they’re getting lost, but they’ve found something great at the same time,” he said. “And they just love that."

Plutonic Panda
02-08-2015, 06:51 PM
I'm about to upload a ton of pictures I took all over downtown today. Here is the first part.

2/6/2015

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7330/16458763621_931ba6e67f_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7433/16272810748_1528c8813d_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7414/16273074700_812cb99e6e_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7406/15840430793_ff56fc2e5f_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7354/16434500936_93acc87855_b.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8679/16274268589_2e66d23de6_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7325/16460498405_16d6751d99_b.jpg

Pete
02-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Very nice!

Are you old enough to be in there?? ;)

Plutonic Panda
02-08-2015, 07:15 PM
Very nice!

Are you old enough to be in there?? ;)
Get ready, because I took over 100 photos of various projects and cityscapes!

Yes, Pete, this time, I am old enough! lol :)

Pete
02-13-2015, 06:01 PM
They are starting Saturday brunch:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B9w-FZ8CUAAQZnF.jpg

Plutonic Panda
02-13-2015, 06:49 PM
I'm here right now. This place is awesome!

DoctorTaco
02-27-2015, 08:31 AM
First time there last night. Best green chile I've had outside of New Mexico/Colorado. Also a great overall vibe. Definitely a cool place.

PhiAlpha
02-27-2015, 11:22 AM
First time there last night. Best green chile I've had outside of New Mexico/Colorado. Also a great overall vibe. Definitely a cool place.

And now I have a reason to go!

DoctorTaco
02-27-2015, 11:59 AM
And now I have a reason to go!

Please do keep your expectations in check. We are still in Oklahoma after all...

Rover
02-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Yes, nothing good happens in Oklahoma, right?

Glad to see this place do well.

bchris02
02-27-2015, 07:00 PM
Power House is a great bar with a unique atmosphere. It is actually one of my favorite in OKC. I hope they continue to be successful.

gopokes88
03-13-2015, 04:03 PM
This place is fantastic. Great atmosphere, great local unique to okc feel. Employees are very friendly and warm. Spicy New Mexico peanuts are delicious.

Pete
04-21-2015, 08:33 AM
Went last night and agree, this place is extremely cool.

Completely unique inside and out and great, friendly vibe.

I had the green chili (big chunks of pork in a spicy green chili w/ tortillas) and it was fantastic.

Really, really impressed. If I lived in OKC I could see myself spending lots of time here.

gopokes88
04-21-2015, 12:57 PM
Went last night and agree, this place is extremely cool.

Completely unique inside and out and great, friendly vibe.

I had the green chile* (big chunks of pork in a spicy green chile* w/ tortillas) and it was fantastic.

Really, really impressed. If I lived in OKC I could see myself spending lots of time here.

Pro-tip, spell it chile. As a New Mexican, I can tell you it'll really bother people there if you spell it wrong. It's kinda like the one thing we have that is awesome and deeply unique to us, besides bombs. Hell our governor got into fight with Colorado last year when they started to claim it as their own. Denver Mayor's Super Bowl Bet Sparks Feud With New Mexico - The Wire (http://www.thewire.com/national/2014/02/denver-mayors-super-bowl-bet-sparks-feud-new-mexico/357624/)

And if you don't believe me on the spelling

"A headline this week on Denver’s Channel 4 website proclaimed: “Mayor Hancock Once Again Putting Up Famous Green Chili In Super Bowl Wager.”

Note the spelling. Any green chile aficionado worth his pork knows it is not spelled “chili.” That’s the wimpy Texas stuff. I call fraud on Denver."

Seeing red over Denver?s green chile wager | Albuquerque Journal News (http://www.abqjournal.com/345610/news/nm-is-seeing-red-over-denvers-green-chile-bet.html)

It's like calling a sooner a longhorn type stuff.

DoctorTaco
04-21-2015, 01:08 PM
As a one-time New Mexico resident, I can corroborate Pete's impression. Power House had the best green chile I've had outside of New Mexico (and Colorado). Outside of those two states I don't think I've even encountered anything even in the same ballpark as Power House's green chile.

gopokes88
04-21-2015, 01:15 PM
As a one-time New Mexico resident, I can corroborate Pete's impression. Power House had the best green chile I've had outside of New Mexico (and Colorado). Outside of those two states I don't think I've even encountered anything even in the same ballpark as Power House's green chile.

It's pretty good, they have to have some New Mexico ties. No one out here just figures out how to make it that good.

DoctorTaco
04-21-2015, 02:19 PM
It's pretty good, they have to have some New Mexico ties. No one out here just figures out how to make it that good.

Agreed.

Pete
04-21-2015, 02:25 PM
It was certainly unique and darn good.

It also had a bit of heat; I'm glad they didn't bland it out for fear of offending the delicate constitution.

As i was leaving after 11PM last night, they had music playing outside quite loud and it reinforced what I have said about that place before: They can blast music and have bands and even a DJ in their outdoor space or adjoining parking lot and there isn't a home anywhere close in any direction.

I suspect once the food truck court gets going they'll do things like that and it would create a really cool atmosphere. Bleu Garten has to be careful due to all the surrounding housing.

Urbanized
04-21-2015, 04:54 PM
Hoping the green chile didn't turn the corner on you too fast. It's not what I would consider "hot" (meaning "too hot") and tastes absolutely delicious, but when I tried it a few weeks ago it headed south in a hurry LOL.

John
04-22-2015, 12:28 AM
Hoping the green chile didn't turn the corner on you too fast. It's not what I would consider "hot" (meaning "too hot") and tastes absolutely delicious, but when I tried it a few weeks ago it headed south in a hurry LOL.

+1

okatty
04-25-2015, 09:34 PM

Will be testing this out as had a nice bowl on patio tonight with couple of brews then topped it off with a closing time Strawberry Newport at Arts Fest. RUMBLE RUMBLE......

Powerhouse is a REALLY unique fun, cool place! Really like it.

soonerguru
04-25-2015, 11:38 PM
Their green chile stew is awesome, but not exactly traditional New Mexican. The cheese just weighs it down needlessly and adds no flavor. Still, it's very good.

okatty
04-26-2015, 08:09 AM
Their green chile stew is awesome, but not exactly traditional New Mexican. The cheese just weighs it down needlessly and adds no flavor. Still, it's very good.

And no aftershocks so far - all is good!:wink:

kevinpate
04-26-2015, 08:21 AM
And no aftershocks so far - all is good!:wink:

Good to know. A place should be known for its food, not named for it. :)

Pete
04-27-2015, 07:30 AM
Before I left town, I went back for another round of their green chile.

This was just the cup; the bowl is about twice the size. It has some cheese and two grilled serrano peppers on top, with warm tortillas.

You can also see a small paper bag and bucket for the New Mexico spicy peanuts, served in the shell also quite good.

I loved the green chile just as much the second time. I talked to the owner Clay who said he hopes it will be there signature dish, even though it's not authentic New Mexican. He said he got the starting recipe in Austin.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/powerhouse042515.jpg

Pete
06-07-2015, 07:06 AM
Power House has started spinning Motown sounds on their patio on Saturday nights.

They posted a couple of short videos on their Instagram account and it looks like there were a lot of people dancing it up.

Glad to see them incorporating music and I be they'll start doing more of this kind of thing... They have oceans of parking and can crank up the music as loud as they want with no one anyone near to complain.

John Knight
10-01-2015, 07:05 AM
Grabbed a quick drink here last night before heading to Flashback Retropub. It looks like they extended their patio to the north side of the building since I was here last.

One of my favorite bars in OKC.

Pete
10-01-2015, 07:06 AM
They did add that new area to the north. Thanks for the photo.

And agree... This is one of my favorite bars in town.

AP
10-01-2015, 07:10 AM
I love this place and their Jalapeno margarita.

Pete
05-18-2016, 11:24 AM
They are expanding their kitchen to the east and adding a rooftop deck:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/powerhouse051716.jpg

PhiAlpha
05-18-2016, 11:41 AM
Not sure if any one has mentioned it, but they also either bought or rented a space out in the building to the west and have been using it as a music venue. It's a pretty creative setup. I think they're calling it the Substation

OKCisOK4me
05-18-2016, 03:39 PM
Still never been here but I'd like to go sometime.

Pete
05-18-2016, 03:41 PM
It's in my Top 5 favorite OKC bars.

Love the place.

edcrunk
06-13-2016, 09:34 PM
Not sure if any one has mentioned it, but they also either bought or rented a space out in the building to the west and have been using it as a music venue. It's a pretty creative setup. I think they're calling it the Substation
interesting (strokes chin)

edcrunk
06-26-2016, 08:56 PM
Okay, so my friend Brent, that tends bar there, said they were adding on a shipping container. The rooftop patio will be in top of that. Sounds pretty sweet.

Bluejay
06-26-2016, 10:30 PM
That sounds awesome. This area has so much potential. Does anyone have a quick overview of the plans for all the abandoned (or seem to be abandoned) properties in that area?

Anonymous.
09-06-2016, 12:58 PM
I was here the other night and asked about the expansion/rooftop. General summary was they are waiting to get a feel for how the area comes up before actually putting additional investment into the place.

Pete
09-06-2016, 01:25 PM
^

They are operating the bar at Delmar Gardens (food truck park) and I think it's been pretty slow over there.