View Full Version : Charlie Strong to Texas

venture
01-03-2014, 10:37 PM
$25 mil for 5 years.

Report: Louisville's Charlie Strong 'expected' to accept Texas job - CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24397274/report-louisvilles-charlie-strong-expected-to-accept-texas-job)

Jake
01-03-2014, 10:39 PM
That's.....unexpected.

SoonerDave
01-03-2014, 10:39 PM
$25 mil for 5 years.

Report: Louisville's Charlie Strong 'expected' to accept Texas job - CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24397274/report-louisvilles-charlie-strong-expected-to-accept-texas-job)

Huh.

I mean, okay, that's a decent hire. Nothing wrong with it. But it sure isn't the *splash* hire I was thinking they'd go for. And tossing him $5M a year is rather...aggressive.

Guess we'll see.

ljbab728
01-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Huh.

I mean, okay, that's a decent hire. Nothing wrong with it. But it sure isn't the *splash* hire I was thinking they'd go for. And tossing him $5M a year is rather...aggressive.

Guess we'll see.

Keep in mind that they couldn't get the "splash" hire that they wanted and he wasn't near the top of their wish list.

ThomPaine
01-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Doesn't strike fear in me as an OU fan. He's more of a defensive guy, but he's still got to deal with those prima donna athletes in Austin. Plus he'll have to learn how to deal with real donors (aside from the Papa John's guy).

Edit- BTW, the last former Louisville coach who came to the Big XII didn't last long.

soonerguru
01-03-2014, 10:51 PM
nm

soonerguru
01-03-2014, 10:53 PM
It's actually a very good hire. Texas will play offense and defense. He will recruit well (but they always recruit well). I was hoping they would bungle this hire. Too bad.

OKCRT
01-03-2014, 10:53 PM
Doesn't strike fear in me as an OU fan. He's more of a defensive guy, but he's still got to deal with those prima donna athletes in Austin. Plus he'll have to learn how to deal with real donors (aside from the Papa John's guy).

This is good news for the BigXII. Be glad they didn't choose James Franklin. He's a much better coach IMO. I think Franklin might already have a deal with PSU in place but they will wait till after this weekend to announce.

Pete
01-03-2014, 11:37 PM
He was about their 12th choice.

Seems solid but much of his success was directly tied to Teddy Bridgewater.

Not exactly the type of hire that will strike terror in the hearts of conference opponents.

ljbab728
01-03-2014, 11:53 PM
I have to wonder, as one consideration, they might have been looking at trying to offset any perceived advantages that A&M could have gained with Sumlin.

soonerguru
01-04-2014, 12:30 AM
He was about their 12th choice.

Seems solid but much of his success was directly tied to Teddy Bridgewater.

Not exactly the type of hire that will strike terror in the hearts of conference opponents.

He's won everywhere, and his defenses at Florida were terrors. Nobody was afraid of Stoops either. He could be a Stoopsesque hire.

Stew
01-04-2014, 08:48 AM
I'm not sure coach Strong has the skills required to deal with the insane Tejas BS. I don't see this as a good fit but time will tell.

bhawes
01-04-2014, 09:42 AM
Its a pretty good hire. Charlie Strong was a defensive cord. for Florida and South Carolina just like Bob Stoops was at Florida. But Charlies has shown at Louisville that he a better recruiter than Stoops. And his defence has play better than Mike Stoops Defence when he was a horrible head coach at Arizona.

bhawes
01-04-2014, 09:47 AM
I have to wonder, as one consideration, they might have been looking at trying to offset any perceived advantages that A&M could have gained with Sumlin.

That wont help since joining Big 12 both Texas A&M and Missouri has been out recruiting Texas and OU big time.

Just the facts
01-04-2014, 10:02 AM
I think you mean SEC. Funny how Texas A&M and Missouri players recruited as part of the Big XII make the rest of the SEC teams look like they are running in slow motion.

Perennial Big XII 'also rans' are dominating the SEC.

Easy180
01-04-2014, 10:18 AM
That wont help since joining Big 12 both Texas A&M and Missouri has been out recruiting Texas and OU big time.

A&M maybe Mizzou not so much...Rivals had OU 15 Texas 24 last year while Mizzou was way down at 41

Be interesting to see what happens to A&M when Manziel moves on...Me thinks they fall back on hard times

Pete
01-04-2014, 10:25 AM
He's won everywhere, and his defenses at Florida were terrors. Nobody was afraid of Stoops either. He could be a Stoopsesque hire.

Yet, there are dozens and dozens of coaches with a similar profile that fail once they move into the bright spotlight of big program.

Bob Stoops is an extreme exception.

bluedogok
01-04-2014, 01:20 PM
Keep in mind that they couldn't get the "splash" hire that they wanted and he wasn't near the top of their wish list.
All of their big name candidates were unrealistic even for Texas. Big name or not anyone "worthy" of coaching Texas was going to get $5,000,000 as a base salary, Strong was making 3.75 million at Louisville.

I'm not sure coach Strong has the skills required to deal with the insane Tejas BS. I don't see this as a good fit but time will tell.
With this hire the new AD may be sending a message that the way that Dodds, Mack and Powers (who will be retiring soon even though he survived the BoR fiasco) is changing. Mack playing the politics and donors the way he did becoming the face of the athletic department is something I think the new AD will try to move away from. I guess they will have to get a new domain name changing it from mackbrown-texasfootball.com or just migrate it like they already have under the TexasSports.com banner.

I think Strong will be good at UT, he is a good recruiter with Florida connections getting Bridgewater out of Miami to Louisville after Bridgewater de-committed from Miami after Randy Shannon was fired. Strong did well at Louisville after inheriting the mess that was left when Kragthorpe was fired.

bhawes
01-04-2014, 05:38 PM
Only reason Stoop was a extreme exception he did not have start from scratch rebuilding the program the talent when he got here was better than most coach have when starting at a high profile school.

Snowman
01-04-2014, 06:17 PM
Only reason Stoop was a extreme exception he did not have start from scratch rebuilding the program the talent when he got here was better than most coach have when starting at a high profile school.

It still had been a mess the four years before he got here, the three years under Blake and the one under Schnellenberger are our worst records since before WWII (I guess that got some of the underclassmen that would be starting under Stoops more time on the field after games were lost and the starters out)

ljbab728
01-04-2014, 09:44 PM

That would be true except it isn't.

ThomPaine
01-05-2014, 07:46 AM
Louisville's Charlie Strong accepts Texas coaching job | Louisville Cardinals | Kentucky.com (http://www.kentucky.com/2014/01/04/3018698/john-clay-pros-and-cons-of-louisvilles.html)

Ah yes, another man of Texas character:

Given the frantic timeline, Strong did not have time to tell his Louisville players he's leaving himself. The Cardinals were not scheduled to be back on campus until 5 p.m. Sunday for a previously scheduled team meeting. Louisville will start school again Monday.

Strong had been scheduled to fly to Bristol, Conn., to participate in ESPN's coverage of the BCS national championship game. It's unclear whether that will still happen, although Texas officials would want Strong on TV to promote the Longhorns instead of the Cardinals.

Read more here: Louisville's Charlie Strong accepts Texas coaching job | Louisville Cardinals | Kentucky.com (http://www.kentucky.com/2014/01/04/3018698/john-clay-pros-and-cons-of-louisvilles.html#storylink=cp)
Given the frantic timeline, Strong did not have time to tell his Louisville players he's leaving himself. The Cardinals were not scheduled to be back on campus until 5 p.m. Sunday for a previously scheduled team meeting. Louisville will start school again Monday.

Strong had been scheduled to fly to Bristol, Conn., to participate in ESPN's coverage of the BCS national championship game. It's unclear whether that will still happen, although Texas officials would want Strong on TV to promote the Longhorns instead of the Cardinals.

bhawes
01-05-2014, 09:03 AM
That would be true except it isn't.

The team Stoops inherit he has not had a defence as good as that since he been at OU. That team Stoops inherit had Rocky Calmus, Roy Williams, Brandon Everage, Torrance Marshall, Teddy Lehman, Jimmy Wilkerson, Brandon Moore, Derrick Strait anchoring the defence all these guys were drafted in pros. Since that time Stoops has never had a defence with that much talent on Defence.

Easy180
01-05-2014, 09:55 AM
The team Stoops inherit he has not had a defence as good as that since he been at OU. That team Stoops inherit had Rocky Calmus, Roy Williams, Brandon Everage, Torrance Marshall, Teddy Lehman, Jimmy Wilkerson, Brandon Moore, Derrick Strait anchoring the defence all these guys were drafted in pros. Since that time Stoops has never had a defence with that much talent on Defence.

We also need to keep in mind that was before the age of empty backfield, 5 WR, hurry up offenses that are the norm these days

OKCRT
01-05-2014, 11:22 AM

When Stoops took over he had a team full of good talent. Blake was a great recruiter but didn't have a clue as to how to run a program as a head coach. Talent was not a problem for Stoops. He won with Blake's players.

bluedogok
01-05-2014, 12:52 PM
Ah yes, another man of Texas character:
Some times the media forces things out of sequence, Jurich was in Steamboat Springs and with the weather was having a hard time getting back to Louisville. I am sure they had hoped the lid could stay on the story until after Strong met with the players and administration. I don't put it on Strong as much as the media and people inside the situation leaking the story.

When Stoops took over he had a team full of good talent. Blake was a great recruiter but didn't have a clue as to how to run a program as a head coach. Talent was not a problem for Stoops. He won with Blake's players.
He won with some of Blake's players which is something Blake couldn't do because he had no clue as you stated. Without a QB like Huepel (or similar) they would have been better but floundered offensively just like they under Blake except they would have not had a different offensive scheme every week.

Wasn't Torrance Marshall a JC transfer after Stoops was hired?

bhawes
01-05-2014, 01:28 PM

That what I been sailing how many coaches can get a new job and have that kind of talent already there most coaches has to rebuild from bottle up before they reach that talent level.

bhawes
01-05-2014, 01:32 PM
Some times the media forces things out of sequence, Jurich was in Steamboat Springs and with the weather was having a hard time getting back to Louisville. I am sure they had hoped the lid could stay on the story until after Strong met with the players and administration. I don't put it on Strong as much as the media and people inside the situation leaking the story.

He won with some of Blake's players which is something Blake couldn't do because he had no clue as you stated. Without a QB like Huepel (or similar) they would have been better but floundered offensively just like they under Blake except they would have not had a different offensive scheme every week.

Wasn't Torrance Marshall a JC transfer after Stoops was hired?

Marshall was going to come any way because he was already being recruited before Stoops got there.

bhawes
01-05-2014, 01:33 PM

That what I been sailing how many coaches can get a new job and have that kind of talent already there most coaches has to rebuild from bottle up before they reach that talent level.

ljbab728
01-05-2014, 08:52 PM
I guess the problem is that they are trying to rebuild from the "bottle" up. LOL

Your point is only hit and miss. USC has had plenty of talent with new coaches and failed. Urban Meyer and Nick Saban have come in and had instant success with the talent already there.

Zuplar
01-06-2014, 10:04 AM
Saw this on another forum, had to share.

http://imageshack.com/a/img11/2139/xcsc.gif

dankrutka
01-06-2014, 01:28 PM

This is revisionist history in my opinion. NO ONE was talking about OU as having one of the most talented programs in the country during the three straight losing seasons prior to Stoops arrival. Stoops immediately brought in his own key players (e.g., Heupel, Torrance Marshall), moved a number of players into different positions who were not considered talented by recruiting services or the NFL, and brought in an offensive innovator in Mike Leach who created an offense for a team that had less talent on the line (Stoops just said this in a recent interview). It was great that Rocky Calmus (who barely played in the NFL) and Roy Williams were already on the roster, but let's not pretend that a lot of the other key players (e.g., the WRs, Seth Littrell, the entire offensive and defensive lines) were incredibly talented. Few even were invited to a NFL camp after their careers. What Stoops and his staff did with his first couple teams was tremendous.

The narrative that Blake was an amazing recruiter who left the cupboard full for Stoops is simply not true. OU had mediocre talent when Stoops arrived, he brought in key players, and got the most out of a bunch of other guys.

dankrutka
01-06-2014, 01:32 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Stoops inherited all those players. Stoops arrived in 1999 and recruited several of the players you mentioned including Derrick Strait, Jimmy Wilkerson, and Teddy Lehman.

The best Stoops defense was in 2001 and it was dominated by Stoops-recruited players.

dankrutka
01-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Anyway, back on topic, I think Strong is a great hire for Texas. If the culture truly changes with their new AD then Strong is a perfect fit. He's a tough-nosed disciplinarian who has succeeded everywhere he's been. As an OU fan, I wish they'd hired someone else because I think he'll be more successful than some of their supposed other topic picks (e.g., Jim Mora).

ou48A
01-06-2014, 01:39 PM
This is revisionist history in my opinion. NO ONE was talking about OU as having one of the most talented programs in the country during the three straight losing seasons prior to Stoops arrival. Stoops immediately brought in his own key players (e.g., Heupel, Torrance Marshall), moved a number of players into different positions who were not considered talented by recruiting services or the NFL, and brought in an offensive innovator in Mike Leach who created an offense for a team that had less talent on the line (Stoops just said this in a recent interview). It was great that Rocky Calmus (who barely played in the NFL) and Roy Williams were already on the roster, but let's not pretend that a lot of the other key players (e.g., the WRs, Seth Littrell, the entire offensive and defensive lines) were incredibly talented. Few even were invited to a NFL camp after their careers. What Stoops and his staff did with his first couple teams was tremendous.

The narrative that Blake was an amazing recruiter who left the cupboard full for Stoops is simply not true. OU had mediocre talent when Stoops arrived, he brought in key players, and got the most out of a bunch of other guys.

This^ is correct

ou48A
01-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Strong is already having acceptance problems with major UT benefactors

This is an indication of the depth of the problems at UT
http://collegespun.com/big-12/texas-big-12/texas-benefactor-red-mccombs-not-happy-with-strong-hire-would-be-a-good-position-coach#

Red McCombs: "I think they went about it wrong, and I think they made the selection wrong." @ESPN1250

Red McCombs: "I don't have any doubt Charlie is a fine coach. I think he'd probably make a fine position coach, maybe a coordinator." 5:36 PM - 6 Jan 2014

bluedogok
01-06-2014, 10:13 PM
That is because McCombs (and Jamail) is used to running the program and didn't like the fact that Patterson didn't include them like Dodds did in years past. Just an 86 year old throwing a temper tantrum for not going after the guy he wanted (Gruden).

Dallas News - Texas booster Red McCombs calls it ‘kick in the face’ that he, other supporters weren’t involved in coaching search (http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/01/texas-booster-red-mccombs-calls-it-kick-in-the-face-that-he-other-supporters-werent-involved-in-coaching-search.html/)

dankrutka
01-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Red McCombs: "I don't have any doubt Charlie is a fine coach. I think he'd probably make a fine position coach, maybe a coordinator." 5:36 PM - 6 Jan 2014

To suggest that an incredibly successful coordinator, coach, and your new head coach should maybe instead be a position coach is beyond foolish. What a moran. If this new AD can distance decision-making from these types of boosters then Texas has a much brighter future.

ou48A
01-07-2014, 11:13 AM
There are many different very powerful factions at UT who have fought each other for influence going back for decades.
In some cases the descendents of of these powerful factions are likely to continue the infighting, to some degree, for another generation. Which can't do anything but help UT underachieve relative to their tremendous resources.