View Full Version : Stoops To The NFL?

zookeeper
01-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Wow - right in the middle of the Sugar Bowl, reports out of Cleveland that Stoops is interested in Brown's job. As Ian Rappaport said in his Twitter feed, tonight is quite the resume tape!

http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/articles/bob_stoops_may_have_inside_track_on_cleveland_brow ns_job_per_espn_insider/15448457

zookeeper
01-02-2014, 09:49 PM
I wouldn't blame him. If he ever wanted to give it a try - why not coach the team you idolized as a kid? That's a rare opportunity for any coach.

Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, the Youngstown native, might have inside track for Cleveland Browns' job, report says | cleveland.com
(http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/oklahomas_bob_stoops_the_young.html)
Rapp doesn't blow smoke. I think he's on to something, he knows the NFL as well as anybody.

OKCRT
01-02-2014, 09:58 PM
I wouldn't blame him. If he ever wanted to give it a try - why not coach the team you idolized as a kid? That's a rare opportunity for any coach.

Oklahoma's Bob Stoops, the Youngstown native, might have inside track for Cleveland Browns' job, report says | cleveland.com

Rapp doesn't blow smoke. I think he's on to something, he knows the NFL as well as anybody.

Yes that's his home. If he was ever going to go now would be the time. BigXII has really been losing it's luster after all the teams left and most predict that the conference will not last. Not a bad time for Stoops to leave. I think there might be something to this.

Laramie
01-02-2014, 10:40 PM
UNBELIEVEABLE!

Oklahoma Defeats Alabama 45-31

I'll awake tomorrow morning and discover that it was all a dream...

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/187/files/2014/01/8059384-590x367.jpg

P.S. Zookeeper, thanks for keeping the faith!

http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif "Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty... ... as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole. http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif

kevinpate
01-03-2014, 12:36 AM
If he goes, this bowl is not a bad exit game.
If he stays, and if he goes for that matter, I hope he and the fams are spared any more break-ins.

venture
01-03-2014, 02:19 AM
I can't see him going to Browns. The ownership is a mess right now and the franchise is dysfunctional. I can't see Bob giving up the quality of life he has in Norman with a leadership team that supports him and works well together. Just because he is from Y-Town doesn't mean he is going to want to go coach the Browns. Too many headaches and BS to deal with.

SoonerDave
01-03-2014, 08:20 AM
I can't see him going to Browns. The ownership is a mess right now and the franchise is dysfunctional. I can't see Bob giving up the quality of life he has in Norman with a leadership team that supports him and works well together. Just because he is from Y-Town doesn't mean he is going to want to go coach the Browns. Too many headaches and BS to deal with.

Yeah, I think there's at least a romantic/hometown notion for Stoops and the idea of the Browns' job, but he's also shrewd/smart enough to realize just how bad the Browns organization is right now. That's a setup for failure - especially considering the rather interesting list of college coaches that just haven't made the transition to the pro game, Schiano most recent (although I always kinda thought he was a smoke-and-mirrors success story to a degree).

I've held that since about the 2005/6 season that if Stoops could win one more national title, or make a really hard run at one, that would be when he'd shut it down. I think had he won the '08 title against Florida he would have retired then, because the kind and combination of talent OU had that year was/is very unlikely to be repeated.

Given what he now know he has at quarterback, with a good chunk of the offense returning, and a good nucleus on defense getting rebuilt under his brother, I figure he'll stick around for one more shot.

The one and only thing that gave me just a bit of pause during the postgame was a comment Stoops made at the ESPN desk, where he said "I'm thankful I've had the chance to work with these guys," (and that's as close to a verbatim quote as I can recall), with the point being that it was clearly said in the past tense (well, past perfect, but you get the idea). Okay, okay, that's a hyper nitpick from an admitted grammar nazi, but Stoops has always chosen his words pretty carefully with the media, but it just jumped out at me when he said it.

Obviously, I hope he stays. He's got a huge potential in his lap for one more title run. I think he'd love to give it another try.

warreng88
01-03-2014, 08:56 AM
He has been linked to the Florida head coaching job twice, Ohio State, K-state, Notre Dame, Washington Redskins and I think the Cleveland Browns once before. He has seen first hand that great college coaches sometimes cannot be great in the NFL (i.e. Saban and Spurrier). His oldest is 17 and his twins are around 14 or 15. I think he would like to stay in Norman for at least the time they are in high school and possibly through college. Oh and he owns a castle in Norman that you can see from I-35. If he was going to leave, he would have done so already.

Laramie
01-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Bob Stoops?

Tyler Perry's "Meet the Cleveland Browns."

Dysfunctional no brainer.

Stan Silliman
01-03-2014, 10:09 AM
I don't see it. Probably just a hint to Joe for more dough.

Their owner got caught in a business scandal which might have financial implications.
Being from a place is no guarantee you have a desire to go back. Even if you were
a fan of the Jim Brown days.

Snowman
01-03-2014, 03:09 PM
If I remember correctly the contract he signed with OU already extended past when he said he planned to retire, his plan was not to go out like his father (having a heart attack on the sideline during a game at only one year older than bob is now).

zookeeper
01-03-2014, 03:37 PM
Stoops is always good about knocking down rumors with definitive statements, so this worries me.

Stoops: "You never know" when discussing all the Browns speculation.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops on Cleveland Browns rumors: 'You never know' | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-coach-bob-stoops-on-cleveland-browns-rumors-you-never-know/article/3920298)

Bellaboo
01-03-2014, 03:50 PM
I read a story on ESPN today and he said he was very happy at OU, enjoys his bosses, players and the program.

I know this doesn't mean much, but it's what he said.

kevinpate
01-03-2014, 04:01 PM
I read a story on ESPN today and he said he was very happy at OU, enjoys his bosses, players and the program.

I know this doesn't mean much, but it's what he said.

Not to contribute to rumors, but isn't that what most coaches say shortly before a press conference in the new location gets announced?

SoonerDave
01-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Not to contribute to rumors, but isn't that what most coaches say shortly before a press conference in the new location gets announced?

Yeah, the one thing I heard Stoops say that bugged me just a bit about his future status was while he was at the post-game ESPN desk - "I'm very blessed to have been able to work with these guys...." It sounded, well, kinda past-tense (well, past-perfect tense) for a guy who typically chooses his words with the media relatively carefully. Probably reading too much into it, and I personally think Stoops realizes he may have the core to make another title run. And I think that's really important to him - give it one more shot before hanging it up (at least here).

Snowman
01-03-2014, 05:48 PM

Only because unless they have another deal is done, they all tend give a pretty generic but positive answer that would fit anywhere from the period shortly after being hired to their last day.

adaniel
01-03-2014, 05:57 PM
He may have very well considered it in the past, but I don't see him leaving. Especially now with the "Oklahoma is back" narrative that seems to be taking hold in light of their victory last night.

And, my god, its Cleveland. Remember they fired their coach after one year. A mess like that will take at least 3 or 4 to straighten out, which may not be possible with their dreadful front office. And you would be leaving a college team that is primed to make a nice run after a rebuilding season and backed up with a supportive admin. Oh, and you would be taking a pay cut as well. Yeah, not happening.

mugofbeer
01-04-2014, 07:38 PM
I hope not considering OU just got a commitment fom the #1 high school running back prospect. He'd probably drop his commitment if Stools left.

Dustin
01-04-2014, 07:45 PM
Reports that the Cleveland Browns will interview Oklahoma's Bob Stoops are false | cleveland.com (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/reports_that_the_cleveland_bro.html?utm_source=dlv r.it&utm_medium=twitter)

Pete
01-04-2014, 07:46 PM
I stopped worrying about Stoops going to the pros after his mentor Steve Spurrier spent two disastrous years with the Redskins before voluntarily walking away from $15 million he was still owed, just to get out of there.

Bob knows how good he has it, particularly with his bosses: Joe Castiglione and David Boren.

Midtowner
01-04-2014, 09:16 PM
I don't see him going anywhere, although this game does give him a nice excuse to renegotiate some compensation issues.

adaniel
01-04-2014, 10:07 PM
I stopped worrying about Stoops going to the pros after his mentor Steve Spurrier spent two disastrous years with the Redskins before voluntarily walking away from $15 million he was still owed, just to get out of there.

Bob knows how good he has it, particularly with his bosses: Joe Castiglione and David Boren.

Outside of Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh, you'd be hard pressed to find a lot of success of college coaches at the pro level. And both the Seahawks and 49ers are far and above better clubs than the perpetual dumpster fire that is the Cleveland Browns.

Given the track record of college coaches, I am really surprised why so many ballteams still pursue college coaches so aggressively. After tonight, it wouldn't shock me if Stoops got a call from Kansas City...

ou48A
01-05-2014, 04:21 PM
At this point the folks who have been taking the Stoops to wherever talk seriously are pretty much guilty of wishful thinking.

zookeeper
01-05-2014, 04:25 PM
At this point the folks who have been taking the Stoops to wherever talk seriously are pretty much guilty of wishful thinking.

I sure don't want Bob going anywhere!

ou48A
01-05-2014, 05:45 PM
I sure don't want Bob going anywhere!
That's good

SoonerDave
01-06-2014, 07:38 AM
I don't see him going anywhere, although this game does give him a nice excuse to renegotiate some compensation issues.

Bingo - especially if the rumors are true and UT ends up writing an annual check to Charlie Strong - who hasn't yet done a thing for UT - for $5M.

zookeeper
01-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Bingo - especially if the rumors are true and UT ends up writing an annual check to Charlie Strong - who hasn't yet done a thing for UT - for $5M.

It's getting out of control, if it isn't already.

SoonerDave
01-06-2014, 02:00 PM
It's getting out of control, if it isn't already.

Oh, yeah, have to agree. At some point, somehow, it'll stop. Not quite sure how or when, but it can't go on spiraling like this forever.

BTW, Cleveland announced today they were not interviewing Stoops for their HC job. So much for the rumors from Ian Rappoport (sp).

Bellaboo
01-06-2014, 02:35 PM
Stoops isn't going anywhere, he built too big of a house, let's just face it, the only one who can afford it is Toby Keith and he already has one. lol

ljbab728
01-06-2014, 04:08 PM
You're right.

Bob Stoops of Oklahoma Sooners not a candidate to coach Cleveland Browns - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10250648/bob-stoops-oklahoma-sooners-not-candidate-coach-cleveland-browns)

Bob Stoops is not a candidate to coach the Cleveland Browns.

A league source close to the Browns confirmed that Stoops has never been on Cleveland's radar and that the team will not interview the longtime Oklahoma coach.