View Full Version : Prairie Kitchen on West Main is No More

kevinpate
01-02-2014, 01:14 PM
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/s403x403/1503336_261919353961204_584013582_n.jpg

Spent a lot of time there studying (and cutting up) with friends, along with many late night reading and paperwork sessions after leaving school.
Paul and Phil hired good people.

I haven't been in for a while and yet, I still feel a sense of loss.

Roger S
01-02-2014, 01:32 PM
Sure glad to see they aren't closing the one in Ardmore.... It's about the only decent option for breakfast on Sunday mornings since Ponder's closed.

Martin
01-02-2014, 01:34 PM
since Ponder's closed

wait... what? didn't know ponder's had closed. -M

Roger S
01-02-2014, 02:04 PM

Yep... Been about 2 years now and I sure do miss the fried chicken they served for Sunday brunch.

There is a Jimmy's Egg there now.

zookeeper
01-02-2014, 04:03 PM

I didn't know that either. Ponder's was an Ardmore institution! (sometimes I hate change.)

Roger S
01-02-2014, 04:32 PM
I hate to totally throw this thread off track but......

Ardmore is going through some growing pains in the restaurant business. There was a renaissance of sorts downtown and a lot of really good locally owned restaurants opened up. And when I say really good I mean there were several that were good enough I would have driven down there to eat if I didn't have reason to be going down there.

Unfortunately the chains are starting to move in and I think the local places are feeling the effects.

Hamburger Inn, another Ardmore institution, is still standing room only around lunch time. There were several good Q-raunts down there when we bought property there and only one remains and <shudder> a Rib Crib recently opened and is always packed as are Santa Fe Steakhouse and Cotton Patch Cafe.

Sadly I don't think the locals realize what a unique dining experience they had going on down there and they clamor to the chains that are arriving because they are the places they go when they travel to OKC or DFW not having them in small town Ardmore.

Cafe Alley is still going strong but we lost The Cellar recently. The kid that was the chef there was putting out stuff you find in major cities. Definitely not the type of meal you would expect to find in Ardmore.