View Full Version : From the WSJ & Rasmussen. OU fans #1 most loyal

ou48A
01-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Oklahoma Ousts Auburn with the Most Die-Hard Fans (Discover Fan Loyalty Poll)
While SEC fans showed the most loyalty of the major conferences, the school with the most loyal fans hails from the Big 12, as
the Oklahoma Sooners have the most loyal fans this year.:D

The Top 20 loyalty standings are as follows:
1. Oklahoma
2. Nebraska
3. Ohio State University
4. Texas, Florida, Auburn (tie)
7. Georgia, Wisconsin (tie)
9. Florida State
10. Tennessee
11. Notre Dame
12. Alabama
13. LSU
14. Iowa, Michigan (tie)
16. Penn State, Michigan State (tie)
18. Missouri
19. Oregon
20. Minnesota

Women Shut Out Men for Second Year as Most Loyal
Among all those surveyed throughout the season, women surpassed men by a small margin for the second year in a row as the most loyal college football fans. When their team is having a bad season, 89 percent of women still follow their games every week, compared to 86 percent of men. Additionally, 84 percent of women's family and friends know which team is their favorite, compared to 81 percent of men's.
The 2013 Discover Fan Loyalty Poll was conducted twice a month by Rasmussen Reports, a nationally recognized leader in polling, who gathered sentiment by phone from 1,500 college football fans who follow games at least once per week on television, radio, in person or online.
Discover Fan Loyalty Poll: SEC Fans Crowned Most Loyal College Football Fans for Second Year - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20131230-903141.html)

blangtang
01-01-2014, 01:22 PM
The Wall Street Journal news department was not involved in the creation of this content.
---
But...

I don't know there's all that much distinction in that group, I'd say all of those top 15 or 20 are pretty dang loyal. Maybe not Minnesota, maybe if hockey is included.

SoonerDave
01-02-2014, 07:59 AM
Well, the fun thing about a poll like this is that both the creators and the readers know that measuring "loyalty" is a great deal like measuring "happiness." Makes for fun water cooler talk, and it gets tossed around message boards, but that's about it. Fun that OU made the top of the heap in a rather marginal year on the field.

soonerguru
01-02-2014, 08:21 AM
It's a lot easier to be loyal to a team that is the winningest in the last 60+ years.

Stan Silliman
01-03-2014, 10:40 AM
Here's how loyal OU fans are:

Check here for the cartoon: Third Down and Forever (http://www.sillimanonsports.com/ThirdDown.html)

Silliman on Sports
By Stan Silliman

Long Rests for the Sports Fan

During the 2005 football season, Oklahoma University was number one… in casket sales.

“I can rest in peace,” say Ernie Sempleton, “knowing $ 400 of my casket purchase (about $ 5000) supports my favorite school. There’s even a button to push whenever I want to play Boomer Sooner.”

Collegiate Memorials, from Forsyth, Georgia, said 50 Sooner fans were buried last year in OU logo, red and white caskets. Of the 46 schools for which Collegiate Memorial produced caskets, OU bought the most, followed closely by Alabama, Kentucky and Auburn.

“We’re number one in sales because we got our own burial song. ‘I’m Sooner born and Sooner bred and when I die, I’ll be Sooner dead. Go Oklahoma.’” sings Ernie, “Wouldn’t you rather have that song playing than Alabama’s ‘Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer’ and a big ol’ elephant staring you in the face?”

Collegiate Memorials sold it’s first “school logo” casket to the University of Nebraska in May of 2001. That year, Nebraska, using a big red “N” and the word “Huskers” in script embroidered on the top fabric led the country with 19 caskets. “We intended holding onto number one,” says Richard Colachek of Omaha’s Hillcrest Funeral Home, “but our fans quit dying. I don’t think they realized there’s a lot of state pride at stake but for whatever reason they refused to kick the bucket. This wouldn’t happen if Tom Osborne was still coaching.”

No it wouldn’t. If Dr. Tom were still in charge, Nebraska fans would be more loyal. We’re sure of it. But if they want to catch up, Nebraska needs to improve their heat stroke fatality statistics … or the Southern states are just going to keep whipping them.

You know we’re kidding here, folks, right?

But we’re not kidding when we’ve always said sports fans are goofy and that’s why we love writing about them. Lovers of college sports are not the only fans dying to be buried in custom sports related caskets. F & F Metal Products of North Carolina says the most popular of their “Art Casket” line is a checkered-flag-covered coffin called “The Race is Over.” Golfers can choose “Fairway to Heaven.” Tennis players can choose “Love, Set, Match.” There’s even a hook for an extra can of tennis balls. All the caskets are beautifully painted.

If I were a fisherman I might want their “Gone Fishing” casket. It has a wide-mouth bass painted on the side and inside on the white crepe interior is a sailfish facing the departed. F & F’s website touts “The peace of being on the water and the thrill of the catch are captured in this Art Casket.”

So you see, it’s not just football and basketball fans who want their final resting place memorialized. And it’s not just men. Almost as many women as men are ordering sports related caskets… with the provision the remote goes in their casket.

ou48A
01-04-2014, 12:33 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1991881/kw3.gif

good stuff

HOT ROD
01-04-2014, 03:07 PM
Lol, very good one!

ou48A
01-05-2014, 04:31 PM
It's a lot easier to be loyal to a team that is the winningest in the last 60+ years.
Actually OU is the most winning football program in modern college football history going back to 1936.

But this poll fly’s in the face of what I once heard a WWLS talk show host say about OU fans.
He said OU fans were nothing more than front running band wagon fans...
which is just not true when compared to just about all other fan bases in all of sports.