Current
Restaurant
no

Address: 1923 NW 23rd
Phone: (405) 606-7899
Hours: 11 am - 10 pm every day
Development: OCU
Links:
Official Website (http://www.rehearsalsokc.com/index.html)
Menu (http://www.rehearsalsokc.com/menu.html)
Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rehearsals-Grill/479844852114350)
Urban Spoon (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/46/1769738/restaurant/Uptown/Rehearsals-Grill-Oklahoma-City)

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/rehearsalswiki1.jpg

Information & Latest News
11/15/13: Application for beer & wine permit
Gallery

Pete
10-17-2012, 07:01 PM
New restaurant going in at 1933 NW 23rd to be called Rehearsal. This property is owned by OCU.

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/1933nw23a.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/1933nw23a1.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/1933nw23.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/1933nw23b.jpg

OSUPeterson
10-18-2012, 06:43 AM
Awesome. I live across the street from this. I would love to have a restaurant with a patio I can just walk across the street to.

Hopefully it is not overrun by the fat and creepy panhandlers and homeless people that overrun that intersection.

Teo9969
10-18-2012, 09:31 AM
I'm assuming OCU is running this operation and if so, they better bring someone in from the outside, or this is not going to be a very successful venture. About the only reason students dine @ OCU is 1. Because they have to and 2. Because it's convenient

blangtang
10-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Awesome. I live across the street from this. I would love to have a restaurant with a patio I can just walk across the street to.

Hopefully it is not overrun by the fat and creepy panhandlers and homeless people that overrun that intersection.

You're right, that intersection is busy and filled with all slices. Anyone know the story of the guy with no feet that panhandles by the 7/11?

Spartan
10-18-2012, 01:31 PM
OCU's stewardship of their chunk of NW 23rd is really odd. I don't get it..

This is a ranch house. Ranch houses do not need to serve any other purpose than a house... I passionately believe that. It also looks better painted white than beige brown.

Teo9969
10-18-2012, 02:20 PM
OCU's stewardship of their chunk of NW 23rd is really odd. I don't get it..

This is a ranch house. Ranch houses do not need to serve any other purpose than a house... I passionately believe that. It also looks better painted white than beige brown.

While I agree on this particular property, Speakeasy and 23rd Street Courts say hello

jbrown84
10-18-2012, 06:18 PM
Let's not sneer at adaptive reuse, now.

stjohn
10-18-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm assuming OCU is running this operation and if so, they better bring someone in from the outside, or this is not going to be a very successful venture. About the only reason students dine @ OCU is 1. Because they have to and 2. Because it's convenient

This will be managed by Sodexho (campus dining services). As I understand it, they'll accept meal plan money as payment, and may, just may, serve alcohol. I think they're targeting students, faculty and staff as much as anyone else, and depending on the menu, I don't see why it wouldn't be as or more convenient than on campus options.

BrettM2
10-18-2012, 09:19 PM

Unless they've gone down hill in the last three years, Sodexho had really improved their quality from when I was a student (2002-2006) to when I was employed at the university (2008-2009). Hopefully they've kept up the improvements they made and this will succeed in whatever form it takes.

Teo9969
10-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Sodexo (I kinda can't, since my mother works for them :eek:).

However, in response to several of the thoughts above:

1. Cafeterias are not restaurants

2. The food is, to me, not the problem with the Caf or Alvin's (Sodexo)...It's the borderline horrendous service and work ethic...and most of my friends seem to be in agreement (I was a student from '06 - '10 but lived off campus...Spent a decent amount of time on campus last two academic years as well)

3. It won't be as convenient because it's essentially off-campus...the only things closer to "Rehearsal" than the Caf are Draper/Harris and the Kappa Sig house. Now, it will be an alternative, and that alone will make it popular enough for people who don't have class to worry about, but it won't draw a massive lunch crowd.

4. A cafe is not a restaurant

5. I'm 98% positive there will be no liquor license...so it will be 3.2 beer at best...but I think even that is doubtful

6. A cafeteria/cafe is not a restaurant.

I hope it works out well, but I'm skeptical of Sodexo's ability to put together a convincing restaurant concept and for OCU's food-service team in particular to hire the staff that will make it a great option/change-of-pace/value.

Teo9969
10-18-2012, 11:39 PM
I think this statement is pretty debatable or at least deserves more clarification.

Yeah...that's my bad. I'm talking about Cafe as in "Alvin's Cafe" which is the on campus catch-all food/beverage shop. You go there to get coffee, a sandwhich, slice of pizza, salad, chips, soda, energy drink, etc.

Pete
10-19-2012, 08:41 AM
I really like the idea of trying to bridge the gap between the general community and the university.

College campuses are great places and OCU is a fantastic resource for OKC, yet right in the middle of the city I doubt too many people use the facilities that are not directly related to the university. That's a shame for both the school and the community.

I live right next to a college that is similar in size to OCU and they are just now starting to develop new facilities (athletic, dining, performing arts) that are specifically designed for the community at large as well as their students. I find myself over there much more and have even contributed to the school and would consider taking night classes.

I think OCU would be wise to look for more such opportunities and the 23rd Street corridor is the perfect foray.

Spartan
10-19-2012, 08:57 AM
While I agree on this particular property, Speakeasy and 23rd Street Courts say hello

Those are NOT ranch houses. If you wanna see some awesome ranch house reuse action, check out SW 44th.

HangryHippo
10-19-2012, 10:10 AM
Just so I'm clear on points 1, 4, and 6, you believe that a cafe/teria is not a restaurant? haha, I kid!

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Sodexo (I kinda can't, since my mother works for them :eek:).

However, in response to several of the thoughts above:

1. Cafeterias are not restaurants

2. The food is, to me, not the problem with the Caf or Alvin's (Sodexo)...It's the borderline horrendous service and work ethic...and most of my friends seem to be in agreement (I was a student from '06 - '10 but lived off campus...Spent a decent amount of time on campus last two academic years as well)

3. It won't be as convenient because it's essentially off-campus...the only things closer to "Rehearsal" than the Caf are Draper/Harris and the Kappa Sig house. Now, it will be an alternative, and that alone will make it popular enough for people who don't have class to worry about, but it won't draw a massive lunch crowd.

4. A cafe is not a restaurant

5. I'm 98% positive there will be no liquor license...so it will be 3.2 beer at best...but I think even that is doubtful

I hope it works out well, but I'm skeptical of Sodexo's ability to put together a convincing restaurant concept and for OCU's food-service team in particular to hire the staff that will make it a great option/change-of-pace/value.

Teo9969
10-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Those are NOT ranch houses. If you wanna see some awesome ranch house reuse action, check out SW 44th.

They seem like Ranch houses to me? If they were not previously ranch houses, what types of homes were they? It seems like every house I've seen with similar builds is categorized as Ranch-style homes w/ the County Assessor.

I trust you, since you're definitely more knowledgeable on the subject than I...just genuinely curious.

Teo9969
10-19-2012, 10:21 AM
I really like the idea of trying to bridge the gap between the general community and the university.

College campuses are great places and OCU is a fantastic resource for OKC, yet right in the middle of the city I doubt too many people use the facilities that are not directly related to the university. That's a shame for both the school and the community.

I live right next to a college that is similar in size to OCU and they are just now starting to develop new facilities (athletic, dining, performing arts) that are specifically designed for the community at large as well as their students. I find myself over there much more and have even contributed to the school and would consider taking night classes.

I think OCU would be wise to look for more such opportunities and the 23rd Street corridor is the perfect foray.

I definitely agree with this. I just wish they would collaborate with other entities on these types of projects. I think if they hired out A Good Egg or another local restaurant group to help design the concept and get it off the ground, that it would have a much better chance of succeeding as a bridge piece.

BoulderSooner
11-14-2012, 09:42 AM

i guess your 98% was incorrect .... the ABC 2 was granted at last weeks planning commission meeting

Pete
03-20-2013, 02:23 PM
And Rehearsals (on 23rd and owned by OCU) looks like it is close to opening, with an application for a new sign:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/rehearsals.jpg

amaesquire
04-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Rehearsals has died.

http://mediaocu.com/2013/04/17/university-officials-plan-to-sell-restaurant-property/

amaesquire
04-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Rehearsals has died.

http://mediaocu.com/2013/04/17/university-officials-plan-to-sell-restaurant-property/

Mr. Cotter
04-17-2013, 11:46 AM
It looks like the University will now sell the building to the operator, rather than lease it to them, and the University will no longer receive any profits from the operation.

amaesquire
04-17-2013, 11:49 AM
It looks like the University will now sell the building to the operator, rather than lease it to them, and the University will no longer receive any profits from the operation.

Ahh, that makes more sense. Thanks.

Pete
04-17-2013, 01:57 PM

Yes, that's how I read it as well.

The operator has already invested a ton into the building and were very close to opening. So now, it seems they will buy it but the operation will be the same.

Teo9969
04-17-2013, 03:59 PM
i guess your 98% was incorrect .... the ABC 2 was granted at last weeks planning commission meeting

Looks like we were both right...

ljbab728
04-17-2013, 11:34 PM
OCU to sell land previously planned for restaurant | News OK (http://newsok.com/ocu-to-sell-land-previously-planned-for-restaurant/article/3787195)

BoulderSooner
04-18-2013, 08:45 AM
Looks like we were both right...

not really the ABC 2 was granted

Teo9969
04-18-2013, 10:10 AM
not really the ABC 2 was granted

and will not be used by an OCU institution, which was the reason for my original assertion.

Mel
12-30-2013, 12:39 PM
You're right, that intersection is busy and filled with all slices. Anyone know the story of the guy with no feet that panhandles by the 7/11?

He's not big on shoes.

shawnw
12-30-2013, 02:28 PM

*second (or worse) hand info disclaimer
My EMT friend says he responded to the call where the guy lost his feet. He said the guy was already in a wheel chair but had his feet (though not usable), and that he was on drugs to the extent that he wasn't aware his feet were dragging on the ground for an extended period of time, leaving a trail of blood behind him, so the feet had to be amputated due to the damage.

I make no claim or allegiance to this info. Hopefully it is not incorrect to the extent to be personally disparaging to that guy. Was just a story the friend told me.

shawnw
01-10-2014, 06:49 AM
So... the "open" sign was on when I drove by yesterday? But there were no cars. Surely a technical error. Unless someone has information to the contrary?

Mr. Cotter
01-10-2014, 07:08 AM
They are open. I had dinner there last week, and was pleased. They didn't have beer yet, but do have taps installed. I had fish tacos, and my wife had a burger. Both were very good. Prices are reasonable and the interior is very nice. I wish they had more variety on the menu, or at least a few things that really stood out. This is close to my neighborhood, and I'll definitely go back.

I expect their business will pick up once OCU students are back on campus.

shawnw
01-10-2014, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the info

Pete
01-10-2014, 08:22 AM
See article atop thread for photos, links to site, menu, etc.

http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/restaurants-bars/5840d1389367094-rehearsal-outside.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/attachments/restaurants-bars/5839d1389367093-rehearsal-inside.jpg

borchard
06-28-2014, 05:16 PM
So apparently Rehearsals is closed now. Somoe Someone on Urbanspoon said it was because OCU realized they could make more money by selling it to someone else?

Pete
06-28-2014, 05:44 PM
Looks like it closed on May 9th.

I'll try to see if I can figure out who may be taking it over.

Pete
07-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Has anything been operating on this building since the closure of Rehearsal's a year ago?

Martin
07-02-2015, 10:19 AM
was by that way last weekend and the 'rehearsals' sign is still up. -M

Roger S
07-02-2015, 10:25 AM
Has anything been operating on this building since the closure of Rehearsal's a year ago?

Nope.... Nor have I noticed any activity there.

shawnw
07-02-2015, 10:34 AM
Such a tragedy. I enjoyed that place as an option.

MagzOK
07-03-2015, 04:26 AM
When I officed at Shepherd Mall, I quickly fell in love with Rehearsals as a wonderful option for lunch in the area. The food was very good and it was really nice to get away from the hustle and bustle of the sprawling fast food restaurants in the area. Actually I enjoyed it so much I eventually took my family down there a few times and everyone was very pleased. The pricing was excellent as well. I remember once sitting on the patio at lunch there and it was so loud right there along 23rd street I couldn't hear my friend hardly at all.

CCOKC
07-03-2015, 08:56 AM
How long were they open? I don't go by there often but I never actually saw the place when it was open.

MagzOK
07-04-2015, 08:50 AM
How long were they open? I don't go by there often but I never actually saw the place when it was open.

I think they were open less than a year, actually. We showed up there for lunch one day and there was a closed sign on the door. When I went the week before, the place was bustling and there was nothing that would indicated it would be closing shortly thereafter.

Pete
07-06-2015, 06:01 AM
Chae - OKCTalk (http://www.okctalk.com/showwiki.php?title=Chae)

White Peacock
07-14-2015, 08:31 PM
We went to Rehearsals once and everything we had was fantastic. I was bummed to see they closed down, as the food was fantastic and the guy in charge was pretty cool and had high hopes for the place.