View Full Version : Can't wash your car in your driveway in Mustang

Garin
12-23-2013, 10:01 PM
A guy at work was warned that if he washed his truck again at his home that he would be ticketed. Then I just ran across this video. I've never heard of this before.

Viral Video: Town Cop Throws Down After Complaint of Illegal Act on Neighboring Driveway | Video | TheBlaze.com (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/21/viral-video-town-cop-throws-down-after-complaint-of-illegal-act-on-neighbors-driveway/)

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-23-2013, 10:17 PM
Looks legit to me, and I bet there's nothing else to either story.

Achilleslastand
12-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Taking it off here boss...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnY_Jb9bmCg

Prunepicker
12-23-2013, 11:13 PM
Taking it off here boss...
The tag on the car is from Mississippi. In the book the prison is
in Florida.

RadicalModerate
12-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Apparently, Mustang is attempting to catch up with Peedmont in terms of accelerated progressive law enforcement.
So . . . What is the going rate for Car Wash Permits in Mustang?
(be sure not to demonstrate for or against them, whatever they are . . . )

Heck, I remember when it was unlawful to even PARK a pickup in the front driveway, overnight, in Nichols Hills . . .
Now NH has deteriorated to the point where they put up signs like:
No Turning No Trucks.

What the [heck--with the fu substitute] does that even mean?

RadicalModerate
12-23-2013, 11:30 PM
in Florida.

I am relatively certain that the story (of Cool Hand Luke) was set in Louisiana.
Yet, I've been wrong before. And will be again. =)

I suppose that the real issue here is: Did They Have A Permit To Be Chopping Weeds By The Side o' The Road?
And, don't forget that Luke went to jail, in the first place, for cutting the heads off of Parking Meters.
(invented in Oklahoma City, btw, along with Shopping Carts)

Edited to Add:
zP4XP8CaX7k

Dedicated to Phil . . . Robertson I think his name wuz. Back around Christmas, 2013 . . .
I seem to recall that he had something to do with Dux?

Prunepicker
12-23-2013, 11:34 PM
... Heck, I remember when it was unlawful to even PARK a pickup in
the front driveway, overnight, in Nichols Hills...
There are many homes in NH that don't have driveways that go to
the back of their property. Jackie Cooper's home immediately comes
to mind. But he let me park my truck in his driveway for a gig. I was
unloading my gear and said, "Mr. Cooper, I'll move my truck asap" and
he said, "my name is Jackie and leave your truck here!"

Prunepicker
12-23-2013, 11:38 PM
:backtotop

That's a silly law. My neighbors are more likely to say, "please, wash
your truck!"

RadicalModerate
12-23-2013, 11:56 PM
Glad you got it. =)

In the larger perspective (beyond Nichols Hills, Peedmont, Mustang, et.al.)
I suppose "it" could be considered a joke.

I s'pose it's one of them thar' pesky Principals vs. Principles deals . . . =)

Prunepicker
12-24-2013, 12:04 AM
In the larger perspective (beyond Nichols Hills, Peedmont, Mustang,
et.al.)

I suppose "it" could be considered a joke.
I've always thought of New Jersey as a joke. Not a good one,
but nonetheless a joke.

Achilleslastand
12-24-2013, 12:12 AM
in Florida.

What were you doing looking at the tag?

Prunepicker
12-24-2013, 12:30 AM
What were you doing looking at the tag?
Are you out of your mind? The car was a 1939 Pontiac Coupe! What
do you expect me to look at? Small details are important to car buffs.
How did you miss that?

ljbab728
12-24-2013, 12:33 AM
I've always thought of New Jersey as a joke. Not a good one,
but nonetheless a joke.

Hmmm? I wonder what New Jersey thinks about you. :wink:

stick47
12-24-2013, 05:34 AM
I'd like to know if this actually happened in Mustang? Thinking the locale may be getting confused b/c the car being washed was a Mustang? OTOH, there was one story I found where it was OK to rinse the car off in one city if you didn't use soap. That rule was due to the rainwater run off doesn't go through the treatment system that the sewer water does.

BBatesokc
12-24-2013, 08:18 AM
So, you're saying someone you know in Mustang, OK was warned against washing their car in their driveway, but the video is just a similar situation in another state? Got it.

Weird. Anyone have a link to the Mustang ordinance?

kelroy55
12-24-2013, 08:48 AM
So, you're saying someone you know in Mustang, OK was warned against washing they car in their driveway, but the video is just a similar situation in another state? Got it.

Weird. Anyone have a link to the Mustang ordinance?

Reality and Garin's posts have little in common.

Garin
12-24-2013, 08:57 AM
It happened to a guy at work couple weeks ago.

Garin
12-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Sec. 102-13. - Water; mud from vehicle; drainage onto street, prohibited.
No automobile or other vehicle shall be washed at any place within the city where the water, dirt, mud or other substances removed therefrom by or during the washing thereof, will drain into or upon any street or sidewalk of the city.

(Code 1977, § 12.08.080). This is what I found in Mustangs ordinances.

RadicalModerate
12-24-2013, 09:40 AM
It would probably be OK to wash a vehicle parked on one's lawn--or that of one's neighbor--but then you would be in violation of the no parking on lawns ordinance. The Car Wash Lobby is very powerful.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-24-2013, 09:55 AM
As I said...I'd put money on "got warned" for simply washing his car not being the whole story.

If you're that guy on the block that rolls up at two in the morning rattling windows with your bass or your car has a ridiculously loud exhaust...Or any other reason that makes you any sort of nuisance to the neighbors...One of them is going to dig this type of law/ordinance/neighborhood rule/etc. up and call the popo every time they see you doing anything. The cops generally aren't going to bust your chops for stuff like this unless somebody complains. Or if you have a mullet. But in that case, you have it coming.

Just sayin.

Garin
12-24-2013, 09:58 AM
Coincidental , I was curious about it and was searching if this had ever taking place before and ran across this video.

Garin
12-24-2013, 09:59 AM
As I said...I'd put money on "got warned" for simply washing his car not being the whole story.

If you're that guy on the block that rolls up at two in the morning rattling windows with your bass or your car has a ridiculously loud exhaust...Or any other reason that makes you any sort of nuisance to the neighbors...One of them is going to dig this type of law/ordinance/neighborhood rule/etc. up and call the popo every time they see you doing anything. The cops generally aren't going to bust your chops for stuff like this unless somebody complains. Or if you have a mullet. But in that case, you have it coming.

Just sayin.

He's actually almost retirement age and has lived in his house for like forty years.

Martin
12-24-2013, 10:01 AM
if this happened at all, it probably had something to do with water rationing... -M

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-24-2013, 10:02 AM
He's actually almost retirement age and has lived in his house for like forty years.

Oh. So he HAS made his neighbors angry lol.

Garin
12-24-2013, 10:04 AM
if this happened at all, it probably had something to do with water rationing... -M

Are we in the midst of water rationing?

Garin
12-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Oh. So he HAS made his neighbors angry lol.

It's possible I guess. It shouldn't matter the reason though the fact that it's a ordinance in the first place is kinda strange to me.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Lots of ordinances are strange.

Just another way for the man to keep you down. He keeps you always breakin' his laws.

Martin
12-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Are we in the midst of water rationing?

yep. that'd be my guess unless i see the ordinance in question... -M

BBatesokc
12-24-2013, 10:13 AM

Just sayin.

I don't know. A lot of neighborhoods/streets have that one nosey neighbor that will call on anyone for anything.

I had a neighbor like that at our previous address. Little old Asian woman who lived across the street and would just stand at her window all day.

She shot my dog once with a bb gun when it someone got out and went onto her yard, she called the city because we put out a desk and two bags of clothes in front of our driveway for League for the Blind, and so on.

-----------

Regarding the original topic. I find it funny this guy was warned over washing his car when I can't tell you how many times we'd (as in myself and fellow neighbors) call police/city action about a nuisance neighbor only to have absolutely nothing done about it.

Things like yard parking, and even running a mechanic shop out of his driveway and garage.

After a couple of years and researching the law we finally got action - but only because of shear persistence.

Garin
12-24-2013, 10:15 AM
yep. that'd be my guess unless i see the ordinance in question... -M

#18 in this thread

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-24-2013, 10:16 AM
True. I've had that neighbor too.

/also why I moved to the sticks. I don't even have to friggen MOW if I don't want to these days

BBatesokc
12-24-2013, 10:18 AM
True. I've had that neighbor too.

/also why I moved to the sticks. I don't even have to friggen MOW if I don't want to these days

Same here. Not quite 'the sticks', but on 2.5 acres and my 3 neighbors are also our vacation/scuba buddies so we all get along very well. I just like looking out my window and not looking into my neighbor's unkept garage.

Garin
12-24-2013, 10:26 AM
Every city in America has this ordinance.

I didn't see it on Okc, I could have missed it though

Martin
12-24-2013, 10:28 AM
#18 in this thread

well there you go... so it's not so much that you can't wash your car in the driveway, it's that you can't let the runoff flow into the street.

...and in looking up this ordinance for myself, it was a couple paragraphs down from the one that prevents people from playing on sidewalks or streets. i'm glad our national nightmare is now over. -M

stick47
12-24-2013, 12:15 PM
As for the 2 am boombox scenario, Mustang just enacted a noise ordinance similar to the ones used by MWC and others. I'd have some fun with that one around the 3rd of July if I still lived in the city limits.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-24-2013, 04:14 PM
Why? To be an inconsiderate jerk too all those around you?

RadicalModerate
12-24-2013, 04:59 PM
During my semi-futile Leaf Cleanup Project (after the snowstorm and before the ice "event") I, again, encountered this friendly little sign and decided to comply voluntarily, rather that simply blowing the leaves into the storm drain like The Pros with those annoying leaf blowers would probably do . . .

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1493518_623939660986636_1352281783_o.jpg

Questor
12-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Looks like mandatory odd/even water rationing is still in effect in OKC, not sure about metro suburbs:

City of Oklahoma City (http://www.okc.gov/watering/)

I looked through some news releases and found that water rationing has been mandatory for the last several winters, at least since 2011. Kind of interesting.

MWCGuy
12-27-2013, 02:12 AM
I know many cities are cracking down on what goes into the storm drains just simply because the cost of cleaning the catch basins and treating the waste water for the storm drains is getting fairly cost prohibitive especially with all new regulations that have come down over the last several years.

In Midwest City we have placards on the storm drains reminding people not put anything in the drains. I saw on one of the new drains installed at work that Oklahoma City installed with the stamping "This drain feeds the Oklahoma River" or something to that extent.

I actually prefer going to the Car Wash because the pressure is better and most modern Car Washes recycle/filter/clean the water used in the drains.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
12-27-2013, 09:01 AM
More info from another forum...This guy (in the video) is evidently known for having multiple friends washing multiple cars, making TONS of racket with stereos, every day. The car was being washed in the street and was moved to the driveway right before the cop go there.

This is a very upscale neighborhood, and this dude is apparently a complete and utter nuisance to every one of his neighbors every day.

kelroy55
12-27-2013, 09:04 AM
More info from another forum...This guy (in the video) is evidently known for having multiple friends washing multiple cars, making TONS of racket with stereos, every day. The car was being washed in the street and was moved to the driveway right before the cop go there.

This is a very upscale neighborhood, and this dude is apparently a complete and utter nuisance to every one of his neighbors every day.

and now for the rest of the story.......

kelroy55
12-27-2013, 09:16 AM
Yeah, but when we are trying to make cheap, shallow, uninformed political arguments, it's best if you don't tell the while truth.

I especially like it when somebody posts a half truth and then gets upset if there's any outrage about the post.

kelroy55
12-27-2013, 09:52 AM
It is fun to ignore it isn't it? :)

sorry... couldn't see your post *lol* j/k

FritterGirl
12-27-2013, 10:24 AM
The City of Oklahoma City through the Storm Water Quality division of the Public Works department promotes responsible water use through its Curbs to Creeks program, which is similar to the storm drain marker program noted above. Pollutants of all sorts, including pesticides, fertilizers, and sludge and soap from driveway car washes end up in the City's storm water drainage basins and can cause environmental issues.

There is a great deal of information online about these programs:

Storm Water Quality - Public Outreach (http://www.okc.gov/pw/swq/outreach.html)

City of Oklahoma City | Office of Sustainability (http://www.okc.gov/sustain/tips_streams.html)

Dubya61
12-27-2013, 10:29 AM
I especially like it when somebody posts a half truth and then gets upset if there's any outrage about the post.

Also funny (to me, at least) is when someone posts something they think is REALLY outrageous, and it doesn't get noticed.