View Full Version : The Arts: OKC vs Tulsa

bchris02
12-23-2013, 08:26 AM
There is quite a perception that Tulsa is ahead of OKC in terms of arts and cultural amenities. Having not spent a ton of time in Tulsa, is this still the case? It seems to me the difference may not be as large as it once was in say the early 1990s, yet it's something Tulsa civic boosters cling to. Yes, they have the Philbrook and that is an advantage, but other than that, is what way is Tulsa more of a sophisticated arts/cultural city than OKC if it is at all?

mkjeeves
12-31-2013, 06:43 AM
There is a fair amount of stuff in both places. Hard to say which might claim a title, if there is and should be one. I haven't spent a lot of time in Tulsa either but have traveled there specifically for art events in the past. Feathers in Tulsa's cap include the Gilcrease, Tulsa Opera and forward thinking, very active Living Arts.

Prunepicker
01-01-2014, 01:52 AM
OKC is superior to T-Town. Yes, T-Town has the Philbrook but OKC has
the Buttram, the OKC art museums at the Fairgrounds and on
Couch Drive. T-Town has nothing that compares.

ljbab728
01-01-2014, 02:02 AM
OKC is superior to T-Town. Yes, T-Town has the Philbrook but OKC has
the Buttram, the OKC art museums at the Fairgrounds and on
Couch Drive. T-Town has nothing that compares.

pp, I don't understand. What are you talking about when you say the Buttram or museums at the fairgrounds? The museum that was at the Buttram is now the OKCMOA downtown and there is not an art museum at the fairgrounds.

mkjeeves
01-01-2014, 05:43 AM
City Arts Center, now Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center, is at the fair grounds, pending their planned move downtown.

Oklahoma Contemporary Arts Center offers progressive and innovative art exhibits year-round in the Eleanor Kirkpatrick Gallery with free admission to the public. The Circle Gallery exhibits artists who utilize experimental and new media which create multi-sensory installation exhibits. The Bridge Gallery offers exhibit space for community artists and groups to exhibit their work. A variety of classes and workshops for adults and children are offered six days a week in the arts of painting, pottery, weaving and more.

Garin
01-01-2014, 01:00 PM
pp, I don't understand. What are you talking about when you say the Buttram or museums at the fairgrounds? The museum that was at the Buttram is now the OKCMOA downtown and there is not an art museum at the fairgrounds.

Nice observation :tongue:

LandRunOkie
01-01-2014, 01:31 PM
Tulsa is much different than this city. It would be worth your time to make the trip, take some photos, and post them here. You seem to have a very negative perception of Tulsa that would probably change with a visit.

MustangGT
01-01-2014, 02:00 PM
The Buttram Mansion has been a private residence now for quite a long time after the museum moved out. It is NOT an indication of cultural anything, it is just another mansion in NH. Tulsa has some breath taking mansions, a couple of world renowned art/culture museums and just a different vibe. When looking at the Philbrooke and the Gilcrease it is OKC that has NOTHING comparable. Trying to compare/contrast OKC/Tulsa makes about as much sense as doing it to Philly/Boston. Each is unique in there own way.

Snowman
01-01-2014, 02:27 PM
The Buttram Mansion has been a private residence now for quite a long time after the museum moved out. It is NOT an indication of cultural anything, it is just another mansion in NH. Tulsa has some breath taking mansions, a couple of world renowned art/culture museums and just a different vibe. When looking at the Philbrooke and the Gilcrease it is OKC that has NOTHING comparable. Trying to compare/contrast OKC/Tulsa makes about as much sense as doing it to Philly/Boston. Each is unique in there own way.

... but they are in the same state, so clearly we must choose a winner ... then do it again like every six months to a year ( :tongue: it just seems like we have had variations on this thread come around several times before )

foodiefan
01-01-2014, 03:41 PM
[QUOTE=MustangGT;726266 . . . . When looking at the Philbrooke and the Gilcrease it is OKC that has NOTHING comparable. . . . Each is unique in there own way.[/QUOTE]

I absolutely disagree with the first statement. . .and totally agree with the second (well. ..their v. there). The collection at OKCMOA, within its collection parameters is, imho, on par with the Philbrook (pls note. . .no "e" on the end). Does it have the cache of being housed in a 30's mansion with accompanying gardens? Absolutely not. But, is it in an amazing facility with a fabulous art deco film theater and incredible film program? Further, I would put the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum a (Hurley tryptic in the Great Hall, Prix de West) up against Gilcrease any day of the week and if NCWHM didn't come out on top, it would be a damn close tie. Throw in the Fred Jones in Norman (but it is in the metro area), the Contemporary Arts Museum (Fairgrounds to be relocated to Midtown area),the art in the State Capitol, and the many wonderful small, independent galleries (Istvan, the galleries in the Paseo, Midtown). . .I would offer that we are most certainly equal . . .but more importantly, and as you said. . . each is unique and has its own focus. I belong to both the Philbrook and OKCMOA. . .and delight that we have such marvelous institutions within an afternoon's drive. Throw in the Myriad Gardens (don't tell me that isn't "art"). For the art scene, I'm content to be in OKC with trips to Tulsa!!

Jeepnokc
01-01-2014, 04:06 PM
And doesn't the new Oklahoma Supreme Court building have an extensive art collection hanging on its walls?

Bellaboo
01-01-2014, 05:05 PM
The 45th Infantry Museum over at 36th and MLK has the most extensive collection of Adolph Hitler artifacts at any one place in the world.

The Museum of Osteology in SE OKC is awesome.

The Sam Noble Museum of Natural History (Norman) is beyond Awesome.....

If you haven't been to any of these 3, it's worth your time.

khook
01-01-2014, 06:03 PM
check out the diversity of museums in Oklahoma City

45th Infantry Division Museum
99's Museum of Women Pilots
American Banjo Museum
Edmond Historical Society Museum
Atkinson Heritage Center Midwest City
Fred Jones Museum of Art Norman
Gaylord Pickens Oklahoma Heritage Museum
Harn Homestead
Henry Overholser Museum
International Gymnastics Hall of Fame
Jacobson House Native Art center Norman
Moore-Lidsey House Historical Museum Norman
Museum of Osteology
National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum
National Softball Hall of Fame
Oklahoma City Museum of Art
Oklahoma City National Memorial
Oklahoma History Center
Oklahoma Governor's Mansion
Oklahoma State Firefighters Museum
Oklahoma Railway Museum
Red Earth Museum
Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History Norman
Science Museum Oklahoma
Untitled (artspace)
World Organization of China Painters Museum
World of Wings Pigeon Center
Yukon Historical Society Museum and ARt Center
Yukons Best Railroad Museum
Jim Thorpe Association and Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame
Oklahoma City Zoological Park and Botanical Garden

Then dont forget the active theatre companies

Carpenter Square
City Arts Center
City Rep
Ghostlight
Jewel Box
Lyric Theatre of Oklahoma
OK Children's Theatre
OKCImprov
OK City Theatre Co.
OK Shakespeare
The Pollard Theatre
Poteet Theatre
Reduxion Theatre
Sooner Theatre
Summer Stock
The Boom
Robert JM Productions
whatisthenextstage.com
Whodunit

And all the various college theatre

Feel free to add to the list....

Prunepicker
01-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Tulsa is much different than this city. It would be worth your time to
make the trip, take some photos, and post them here. You seem to
have a very negative perception of Tulsa that would probably change
with a visit.
I lived in Tulsa in the 70's and took people there for art excursions
in the 80's. It's a nice town and they have much to offer. Tulsa
doesn't compare to OKC.

adaniel
01-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Don't forget all of the festivals!

Festival of the Arts-one of the most attended arts festivals in the NATION (over 700K on a typical year).

deadCenter Film Festival- largest in the state, considered one of the "20 coolest" in nation.

Paseo Arts Festival- attended by 60K

+festivals in Edmond, Norman, and even OCCC campus.

bchris02
01-01-2014, 09:31 PM
check out the diversity of museums in Oklahoma City

45th Infantry Division Museum
99's Museum of Women Pilots
American Banjo Museum
Edmond Historical Society Museum
Atkinson Heritage Center Midwest City
Fred Jones Museum of Art Norman
Gaylord Pickens Oklahoma Heritage Museum
Harn Homestead
Henry Overholser Museum
International Gymnastics Hall of Fame
Jacobson House Native Art center Norman
Moore-Lidsey House Historical Museum Norman
Museum of Osteology
National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum
National Softball Hall of Fame
Oklahoma City Museum of Art
Oklahoma City National Memorial
Oklahoma History Center
Oklahoma Governor's Mansion
Oklahoma State Firefighters Museum
Oklahoma Railway Museum
Red Earth Museum
Sam Noble Oklahoma Museum of Natural History Norman
Science Museum Oklahoma
Untitled (artspace)
World Organization of China Painters Museum
World of Wings Pigeon Center
Yukon Historical Society Museum and ARt Center
Yukons Best Railroad Museum
Jim Thorpe Association and Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame
Oklahoma City Zoological Park and Botanical Garden

Then dont forget the active theatre companies

Carpenter Square
City Arts Center
City Rep
Ghostlight
Jewel Box
Lyric Theatre of Oklahoma
OK Children's Theatre
OKCImprov
OK City Theatre Co.
OK Shakespeare
The Pollard Theatre
Poteet Theatre
Reduxion Theatre
Sooner Theatre
Summer Stock
The Boom
Robert JM Productions
whatisthenextstage.com
Whodunit

And all the various college theatre

Feel free to add to the list....

Thanks for posting this. I had no idea the OKC metro had that many museums.

Prunepicker
01-01-2014, 10:04 PM
How anyone can say Tulsa is artistically superior to OKC is beyond
comprehension. Yes, Tulsa is a wonderful artistic community. I've had
the opportunity to fill in with the Tulsa Symphonia from time to time
and have been called to perform many times with various ensembles
including jazz, classical and progressive rock.

The truth be known, it simply doesn't have the contributions that
OKC has provided. Is that a bad thing? No.

I dislike silly comparisons.

bchris02
01-01-2014, 10:20 PM
How anyone can say Tulsa is artistically superior to OKC is beyond
comprehension. Yes, Tulsa is a wonderful artistic community. I've had
the opportunity to fill in with the Tulsa Symphonia from time to time
and have been called to perform many times with various ensembles
including jazz, classical and progressive rock.

The truth be known, it simply doesn't have the contributions that
OKC has provided. Is that a bad thing? No.

I dislike silly comparisons.

Tulsa I think has done a much better job at branding itself in that manner than OKC has. OKC has historically embraced the country/cowboy heritage from a marketing perspective while Tulsa has embraced the arts/music/culture. It's no longer on Youtube but I distinctly remember the 2005 Chamber of Commerce relocation video for OKC focusing primarily on the Cowboy Hall of Fame and the Remington Park horse races. Compare that to the "City on the Rise" video released last year. Tulsa is also a more cohesive metro area than OKC, which helps when it comes to awareness of and supporting cultural events.

ljbab728
01-01-2014, 10:26 PM
Tulsa I think has done a much better job at branding itself in that manner than OKC has. OKC has historically embraced the country/cowboy heritage from a marketing perspective while Tulsa has embraced the arts/music/culture. It's no longer on Youtube but I distinctly remember the 2005 Chamber of Commerce relocation video for OKC focusing primarily on the Cowboy Hall of Fame and the Remington Park horse races. Compare that to the "City on the Rise" video released last year. Tulsa is also a more cohesive metro area than OKC, which helps when it comes to awareness of and supporting cultural events.

Please elaborate on what you mean by more cohesive.

Prunepicker
01-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Tulsa I think has done a much better job at branding itself in that...
BS. Nothing but BS.

bchris02
01-02-2014, 08:44 AM
BS. Nothing but BS.

If that isn't the case, why are so many people unaware of the arts/cultural events and museums OKC does have? Why is Tulsa perceived to be the arts capital of the state? Even if they are ahead, it's not by nearly as much as the perception. The reason is OKC (chamber of commerce), until recently, has done a rather poor job at marketing that side of the city.

AP
01-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Why is Tulsa perceived to be the arts capital of the state? Even if they are ahead, it's not by nearly as much as the perception.

Whose perception is this? Your's? You heard it somewhere? Honestly, I was not aware of this perception until I got on OKCTalk earlier this year. That's odd being that I'm from that side of the state.

BG918
01-02-2014, 09:38 AM
A friend from St Louis that travels to both OKC and Tulsa for work, when asked about his general opinions on each city, has said OKC seems to be more sports oriented with the Thunder and nearby OU while Tulsa is more arts oriented with its museums and music venues. Whether that's completely true is debatable but that was his opinion.

Bellaboo
01-02-2014, 11:25 AM
A friend from St Louis that travels to both OKC and Tulsa for work, when asked about his general opinions on each city, has said OKC seems to be more sports oriented with the Thunder and nearby OU while Tulsa is more arts oriented with its museums and music venues. Whether that's completely true is debatable but that was his opinion.

Could be this is where some of those perceptions come from.

bchris02
01-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Could be this where some of those perceptions come from.

Quite possibly. It will be interesting to see what happens if/when OKC gets a respectable live music venue that can compete with Cain's.

Mississippi Blues
01-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Whose perception is this? Your's? You heard it somewhere? Honestly, I was not aware of this perception until I got on OKCTalk earlier this year. That's odd being that I'm from that side of the state.

Yeah, I had never heard that opinion until I got on OKCTalk as well.