View Full Version : So Why Do We Buy Bread & Milk?

OKCisOK4me
12-20-2013, 12:18 PM
I didn't want to ask a stupid question on here so I went and Google'd it myself and found this interesting article written as a general observation about the psychology behind the saying "get out there and buy some bread & milk" and what you really should stock up on before potential life threatening storms.

HowStuffWorks "Why do people buy up all the bread and milk before a storm hits?" (http://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/natural-disasters/buy-bread-and-milk-before-storm.htm)

After reading the above article, which is only 2 1/2 pages long, I realized that my question would not have been all that "stupid" because not only might I be asking, others on here too might be asking. Things listed for purchase in this article I have done for storms so thankfully I have more common sense than I thought, lol.

BTW, this isn't really intended as a thread to get derailed, just **bump** it up every once in a while to keep people informed. Thanks!

RadicalModerate
12-20-2013, 12:27 PM
It's because . . . .

Bread and Milk are The MultiTaskers of The Food Pyramid that resides within Maslow's Hierarchy of Human Needs

. . . ?

They rank only a couple of notches below electricity and gasoline.
This is why Power Lines in The New! Improved!! Oklahoma should be underground.
I hope "They" complete the task before 2:00 AM this morning.
But I don't hope too much.

There isn't a whole lot of "learning from the mistakes of the past" going on here.

I guess.

Just the facts
12-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Buying dairy products in a storm is right up there with people who spend thousands on generators and store 5 to 10 gallon of fuel for it. After two days all you have is large paper weight. I also see people stock up on water like crazy as well, not even realizing that every house has 40 to 60 gallons of fresh clean water sitting in the garage (aka - hot water heater).

RadicalModerate
12-20-2013, 12:37 PM
Buying dairy products in a storm is right up there with people who spend thousands on generators and store 5 to 10 gallon of fuel for it. After two days all you have is large paper weight. I also see people stock up on water like crazy as well, not even realizing that every house has 40 to 60 gallons of fresh clean water sitting in the garage (aka - hot water heater).

In reality, it is a COLD water heater. =)
(yet, i caught your drift. =)

SoonerDave
12-20-2013, 12:41 PM

May be mistaken, but I"m reasonably sure that, technically, water from a hot water heater isn't considered "potable" by virtue of the fact that, in its heated condition, could dissolve trace amounts of certain elements present in the tank, and the tank itself isn't secure from possible external bacterial contamination.

Besides, I tasted tap hot water from the tank once and it was yucky. ;)

RadicalModerate
12-20-2013, 12:53 PM
May be mistaken, but I"m reasonably sure that, technically, water from a hot water heater isn't considered "potable" by virtue of the fact that, in its heated condition, could dissolve trace amounts of certain elements present in the tank, and the tank itself isn't secure from possible external bacterial contamination.

How did it compare with water from a radiator (like, on a motor vehicle?)
Probably not real good I would wager. =)

If I had to ask Phil Robertson--rather than a different "celebrity"--he'd probably give me a bit of advice on "not gambling".
For sure I wouldn't pose the question to Miley Cyrus or Mike Huckabee.

The only thing worse than an approaching tornado is an approaching Oklahoma (potential) Ice Storm.
(de veras?)

I'm not real sure about how Phil Robertson would deal with an Ice Storm on account of he is from Louisiana.
and, by the way, "Potable" is not the ebonic version of "Portable". The "Potable" version of the alternative is "Canteen". =)

Memo to OP: Great Topic. Thank You.

Memo to Dubya the Pun Appreciator =):
Don't waste time
on "Bread and Milk" . . .
Go for the cottage cheese.
As in the sense of:
"how doest i love thee . . ?
let me count the wheys"
=)

btw/fyi: Daisy (from Buy For Less) is superior to Braum's version.

Just the facts
12-20-2013, 01:07 PM

I clean my dishes with it, however, you are correct that warm water doesn't taste good. Of course, room temp water from a plastic bottle is kind of crappy as well.

OKCisOK4me
12-20-2013, 01:26 PM
It's because . . . .

Bread and Milk are The MultiTaskers of The Food Pyramid that resides within Maslow's Hierarchy of Human Needs

. . . ?

They rank only a couple of notches below electricity and gasoline.
This is why Power Lines in The New! Improved!! Oklahoma should be underground.
I hope "They" complete the task before 2:00 AM this morning.
But I don't hope too much.

There isn't a whole lot of "learning from the mistakes of the past" going on here.

I guess.

Read the article RadMo. It goes more in depth. Bread and milk are perishables and the only reason people buy them is to promote the light at the end of the tunnel. Technically it's a saying.

RadicalModerate
12-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Is the (potential) learning here that . . . while electricity may heat the cold water in the personal storage tank, it is good to have alternatives worth mentioning? Especially in regard to urban planning/population control measures? (i think OKC, proper, should have re-allowed the re-introduction of backyard chickens a long time ago. For the eggs and the meat to accompany the toast--that is, the bread--that everyone is rushing out to buy. =)

However: I've been wrong before.

RadicalModerate
12-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Read the article RadMo. It goes more in depth. Bread and milk are perishables and the only reason people buy them is to promote the light at the end of the tunnel. Technically it's a saying.

Sorry, amigo, I'm wrong again.
(however, I must admit, that the above response, to my attempted answer, to your original question, makes me wonder, again, about the definition of "common sense")
And that isn't a "bad" thing.
Is it?

BBatesokc
12-20-2013, 01:34 PM
We don't do milk. We buy bread because we can make sandwiches with or without utilities and bread tends to last awhile.

In all honesty, we've never rushed out and bought food to stock up when the rest of the herd does. I can't think of a time we were stuck in our house for more than 24 hours.

RadicalModerate
12-20-2013, 01:39 PM
We don't do milk. We buy bread because we can make sandwiches with or without utilities and bread tends to last awhile.

In all honesty, we've never rushed out and bought food to stock up when the rest of the herd does. I can't think of a time we were stuck in our house for more than 24 hours.

While I take exception to your flagrant use of the word "herd" . . .
I understand your position on the issue.
It is a good place to be.

Just the facts
12-20-2013, 01:41 PM
If you are going to buy bread, get the potato bread. It lasts a lot longer and taste a lot better. We prefer Martins.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/foodspotting-ec2/reviews/2416064/thumb_600.jpg

RadicalModerate
12-20-2013, 01:47 PM

While I take exception to your flagrant use of the word "herd" . . .
in reference to the general population of OKC
and the suburbs thereof.
I understand your position on the issue.
It is a good place to be.
No kidding.
no joke

(p.s.: can you even believe the extent to which OPs
will go to in order to avoid
being accused
of posing
a 'stupid'
question?)

All Kidding Aside: Thank You for Your Honesty and Promotion of Honor.
Merry Christmas and a Happy--Prosperous--New Year.

(I don't send cards on account of the environmental cost)

OKCisOK4me
12-20-2013, 01:50 PM
If you are going to buy bread, get the potato bread. It lasts a lot longer and taste a lot better. We prefer Martins.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/foodspotting-ec2/reviews/2416064/thumb_600.jpg

Thanks Kerry for contributing valuable information for this thread which exists for the very reason of learning or gaining useful knowledge.

Garin
12-20-2013, 01:53 PM
In reality, it is a COLD water heater. =)
(yet, i caught your drift. =)

Mine runs on natural gas so it is still hot, all electric homes are ridiculous in a power outage.

Just the facts
12-20-2013, 02:20 PM
Thanks Kerry for contributing valuable information for this thread which exists for the very reason of learning or gaining useful knowledge.

Just be sure to wash it down with Parmalat milk. It doesn't have to be refrigerated until you open it and has a shelf life of 6 to 9 months. To top it off - it taste pretty good.

ou48A
12-20-2013, 02:23 PM
When buying a home I put a very high priority on areas with underground utility's...
It increases the odds and usually means getting your electricity back on much sooner.

ou48A
12-20-2013, 02:27 PM
On one occasion my refrigerate broke down during a snow storm. Until I had time to go buy a replacement we buried our frozen foods in a deep snow drift and put things like milk and eggs in the garage. Things like this can help. I have also filled large ice chest with snow / ice and kept things cold for days.

MadMonk
12-20-2013, 03:33 PM
My years of experience with Oklahoma weather outages informs me that my best option for items to stock up on prior to an "x-mageddon"-style weather event are a good bottle of bourbon (or two) and your favorite mixers. Makers Mark is my current favorite.

Snowman
12-20-2013, 03:52 PM
Normal buying patterns get people use to overbuying so overstocking for a storm should not be a suprise

KenRagsdale
12-20-2013, 04:11 PM
We buy bread and milk prior to a big storm because we buy bread and milk prior to a big storm. That's why.

OKCisOK4me
12-20-2013, 04:20 PM
We buy bread and milk prior to a big storm because we buy bread and milk prior to a big storm. That's why.

I'd hate to hear the rhyme & reasons for the rest of your life...

Richard at Remax
12-20-2013, 04:22 PM
I bought beer instead

KenRagsdale
12-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Repitition may not entertain, but it does instruct.

OKCisOK4me
12-20-2013, 05:43 PM
I bought beer instead

I'm certain I'll skate into the liquor store this evening...

boscorama
12-20-2013, 07:28 PM
Another stupid question? What's the deal with not buying milk? When power goes out there are other places you can store the milk (besides the fridge).;) BTW don't forget the manual can opener.

Just the facts
12-20-2013, 07:40 PM
One winter when I lived in Moore our power went out and we had to move the food in the fridge to the back patio where there was about 2 or 3 inches of snow on the ground. The next morning we woke up to what I can only assume was an overnight feeding orgy by the local raccoon gaze.

bchris02
12-20-2013, 07:41 PM
I bought bread and almond milk tonight. I usually don't get worked up over these but when Mike Morgan said to expect the power to be out when we wake up in the morning, I took a trip up to Homeland and purchased bread, meat, cheese, and milk.

CaptDave
12-20-2013, 08:20 PM
I wait until after the frenzy at the store and the snow (or ice) starts falling - then I go to the store the next day. Usually deserted and only have to dodge the occasional out of control vehicle - usually a lifted 4x4 truck. :)

ctchandler
12-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Worthy Cook,
I have enough beer to last a week. If the ice storm lasts longer, I may call you.
C. T.
I bought beer instead

Chadanth
12-20-2013, 08:58 PM
I bought a ham and whiskey. I know priorities...

kevinpate
12-20-2013, 09:03 PM
... I can't think of a time we were stuck in our house for more than 24 hours.

Agreed, but I can recall a time or three I wasn't adverse to letting folks think that we were. :)

kwhey
12-20-2013, 09:49 PM
I didn't want to ask a stupid question on here so I went and Google'd it myself and found this interesting article written as a general observation about the psychology behind the saying "get out there and buy some bread & milk" and what you really should stock up on before potential life threatening storms.

HowStuffWorks "Why do people buy up all the bread and milk before a storm hits?" (http://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/natural-disasters/buy-bread-and-milk-before-storm.htm)

After reading the above article, which is only 2 1/2 pages long, I realized that my question would not have been all that "stupid" because not only might I be asking, others on here too might be asking. Things listed for purchase in this article I have done for storms so thankfully I have more common sense than I thought, lol.

BTW, this isn't really intended as a thread to get derailed, just **bump** it up every once in a while to keep people informed. Thanks!

Why? Because people are panicky idiots.

OKCisOK4me
12-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Another stupid question? What's the deal with not buying milk? When power goes out there are other places you can store the milk (besides the fridge).;) BTW don't forget the manual can opener.

I purchased some trail mix (second time in two weeks, lol) and some more Chef Boyardee Ravioli. Can opener is a p.o.s. but at least its manual! If the world is coming to an end, thank God, 7 Eleven is right across the street...haha.

Why? Because people are panicky idiots.

Because even though I'm 35, I thought the article was pretty interesting and that there might be some people on here that would appreciate the information.

gjl
12-21-2013, 12:30 AM
I always heard it was bread, milk, and toilet paper. The trick is you gotta get there early or this is what you find.

http://imageshack.us/a/img513/189/vohb.jpg

bandnerd
12-21-2013, 07:42 PM
I never stock up on milk. Lactose intolerance takes away that necessity.

My sister apparently stocked up on fresh fruit, because it doesn't have to be refrigerated and at least provides some nutrients, fiber, and hydration.

I've always just stocked up on normal foods and figured I'd use the grill if we lost power. Got a freezer full of meat, have to cook it somehow. I also almost always have a decently filled pantry. But, we have never lost power for any significant amount of time. It's the one thing we've been lucky with in our home ownership so far.

boscorama
12-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Mental note: hot dogs would be handy with wood burning stove or fireplace.

kwhey
12-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Because even though I'm 35, I thought the article was pretty interesting and that there might be some people on here that would appreciate the information.

Oh, it was nothing against you or the article. I was giving the cliffs notes version. :)

Prunepicker
12-23-2013, 02:22 AM
I buy milk and bread to counter the peanut butter I have stored in
in case the weather is in the 50's and there's no chance of rain, sleet
or snow.

I remember the panic of '62. We had plenty of peanut butter but no
bread or milk. Thankfully we made it to the store while the temps
were in the 70's. It was expected to drop into the 60's that night.
In fact it dropped to 64. It rained somewhere but I don't remember
where. Seattle? London? A close call, though.

Today I'm still alive because cooler heads prevailed.

RadicalModerate
12-23-2013, 06:20 AM
People who are thinking clearly will buy bread, milk, eggs, butter and maple syrup so they can have French Toast.

boscorama
12-23-2013, 07:30 PM
Never thought of hoarding peanut butter but will make a point to have a few jars. And crackers.

I buy milk and bread to counter the peanut butter I have stored in
in case the weather is in the 50's and there's no chance of rain, sleet
or snow.

I remember the panic of '62. We had plenty of peanut butter but no
bread or milk. Thankfully we made it to the store while the temps
were in the 70's. It was expected to drop into the 60's that night.
In fact it dropped to 64. It rained somewhere but I don't remember
where. Seattle? London? A close call, though.

Today I'm still alive because cooler heads prevailed.

Dennis Heaton
12-23-2013, 08:40 PM
I learned right after Hurricane Hugo that two items you definitely want to have plenty of after a major storm hits...charcoal for the grill and charcoal lighter fluid.