View Full Version : Starting Texas Tech QB transferring to OU

Pete
12-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Wow, what a weird development.

Report: Former Texas Tech quarterback Baker Mayfield to enroll at Oklahoma and walk on to football team | News OK (http://newsok.com/report-former-texas-tech-quarterback-baker-mayfield-to-enroll-at-oklahoma-and-walk-on-to-football-team/article/3916002)

He started seven games for the Red Raiders in 2013, completing 64.1 percent of his pass attempts for 2,315 yards, 12 touchdowns and nine interceptions.

OKCisOK4me
12-19-2013, 03:40 PM
It's because Tech didn't offer him a scholarship for the 2014-2015 season.

ou48A
12-19-2013, 03:46 PM
The OU connection on this is that Bakers dad is friends with OU coach Bobby Jack Wright.

ou48A
12-19-2013, 03:50 PM
This kid will never play meaningful downs as a QB at OU. He was extremely mistake prone at Tech.
His best hope of playing is to bulk up and try to play ML or FB

Pete
12-19-2013, 03:54 PM
He started as a true freshman and had great numbers...

He also missed 3-4 games in the middle of the season due to injury, otherwise his stats would have been amazing.

He's a player but of course, OU's QB situation is already quite crowded.

Mississippi Blues
12-19-2013, 04:21 PM
I watched the Texas Tech-SMU game at the beginning of the season (yes, I know, it's not a valid point since it's such an inferior football program) & he was extremely accurate & made some impressive passes. I didn't see him any other games, but he was rather good in that one game I watched.

ou48A
12-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Baker was injured for a time but he was also benched at times because of poor play.
He only played at Tech because other QB injuries.
Bakers poor play is why Tech will not offer him a scholarship.
His statistics just like many Tech QB's were inflated by their system and by playing an extremely weak
non-conference schedule.
Tech lost their last 5 games in large part because of very poor QB play.
Tech has a good QB prospect who had a back injury this year. He will likely be their starter

ou48A
12-19-2013, 04:27 PM
I watched the Texas Tech-SMU game at the beginning of the season (yes, I know, it's not a valid point since it's such an inferior football program) & he was extremely accurate & made some impressive passes. I didn't see him any other games, but he was rather good in that one game I watched.

I watched all but one or 2 Tech games this season... As the competition got tougher the guy was exposed and Tech lost games. As I said he was benched at times because of poor play. Statistics can be very misleading.

Mississippi Blues
12-19-2013, 04:30 PM
nm

ou48A
12-19-2013, 04:40 PM
There is a very long thread on this guy on the Tech board.... It offers some information on the guys ablitys.... I wish him well, but I don't see how the guy has the ablity to win championships for OU at QB.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=188&f=1650&t=12466462&p=4

BoulderSooner
12-19-2013, 05:09 PM
He started as a true freshman and had great numbers...

He also missed 3-4 games in the middle of the season due to injury, otherwise his stats would have been amazing.

He's a player but of course, OU's QB situation is already quite crowded.

His number after the first 3 games were average at best closer to very bad

ou48A
01-08-2014, 04:08 PM
SoonerScoop.com - Mayfield confirms he's still coming to OU (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1595628)

A people search of the University of Oklahoma's student directory also confirms Mayfield as being enrolled for the spring semester.

Easy180
01-08-2014, 04:58 PM
SoonerScoop.com - Mayfield confirms he's still coming to OU (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1595628)

A people search of the University of Oklahoma's student directory also confirms Mayfield as being enrolled for the spring semester.

Any hits on the directory on the name Jameis Winston?

Spartan
01-08-2014, 07:05 PM
Why did Ryan Gosling not offer a scholly? Work ethic issues?

zookeeper
01-08-2014, 07:21 PM
Why did Ryan Gosling not offer a scholly? Work ethic issues?

If you listen to the TT version, it was a big misunderstanding. He was a walk-on. Texas Tech literally (according to them) had no scholarships to offer at the time the discussions took place. Mayfield became angry and cut off contact. According to the Tech side, they only meant it was a different situation than commitments from recruits because he walked-on and he'd have to wait and see how many slots would be available for scholarships. They claim they were going by the letter of the rules and Mayfield failed to understand that. They would literally (again, according to them) have been in violation if they had offered a scholarship when they were tapped out.

But, who knows?

venture
01-11-2014, 12:10 PM
If you listen to the TT version, it was a big misunderstanding. He was a walk-on. Texas Tech literally (according to them) had no scholarships to offer at the time the discussions took place. Mayfield became angry and cut off contact. According to the Tech side, they only meant it was a different situation than commitments from recruits because he walked-on and he'd have to wait and see how many slots would be available for scholarships. They claim they were going by the letter of the rules and Mayfield failed to understand that. They would literally (again, according to them) have been in violation if they had offered a scholarship when they were tapped out.

But, who knows?

Sounds like someone who feels they are entitled to everything. The good news, NCAA denied his appeal and Texas Tech is apparently blocking his Big 12 transfer. I'm not sure why he would bother with OU, the roster is full. If you are good and what playing time, find a school that needs a QB.

ou48A
01-12-2014, 01:24 PM
. I'm not sure why he would bother with OU, the roster is full. If you are good and what playing time, find a school that needs a QB.Not saying that he has made all the right choices....but like a lot of us.... he loves OU....even if its only as a normal student.... He will make a great QB for some intramural football team, if he stays at OU..... Sounds like money is not a major issue for the kid, which lets him follow his dreams. Nothing wrong with that.

venture
01-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Not saying that he has made all the right choices....but like a lot of us.... he loves OU....even if its only as a normal student.... He will make a great QB for some intramural football team, if he stays at OU..... Sounds like money is not a major issue for the kid, which lets him follow his dreams. Nothing wrong with that.

I guess he could always try to play as a FB or something else and be useful for some trick plays. Still...he's out for at least a year and Tech is still denying his transfer. Can that keep him from ever playing at OU?

SoonerDave
01-13-2014, 10:33 AM
I guess my thing in all of this is that Texas Tech has any influence over where he goes given that he was a walk-on, non-scholarship athlete. TT didn't give him anything. Don't understand why they could deny him going anywhere he wanted. If he were a scholarship player, absolutely - all bets are off. But a walk-on? Hmmm....don't quit get that.

ou48A
01-13-2014, 10:53 AM
I guess he could always try to play as a FB or something else and be useful for some trick plays. Still...he's out for at least a year and Tech is still denying his transfer. Can that keep him from ever playing at OU?

Bulking up to play another postion would probably be his best choice if he really wants to play very much at OU.
I'm guessing that he could make a great FG holder for the possibility of fakes?
I may be wrong but I thought I heard that he must sit out 2 years since he is transferring within the same conference?
I heard he has a very pretty GF at Baylor?

ou48A
01-13-2014, 12:29 PM
Clarification from KREF as of about noon today.

He can play in the 2015 season and play a total of 2 years. He still hasn't spoken with any of the OU coaches.
He still hopes he can walk on OU's football team and maybe OU baseball, probably as an out fielder.
Indicated that the Tech head coach did not communicate with him and also with other Tech players.

ou48A
03-13-2014, 11:05 AM
I am happy to say that on this I might be eating a little crow....
Stoops just said on the radio that Baker Mayfield is an “exciting looking guy”.

Pete
03-13-2014, 11:12 AM
At the very least, he'll provide great depth with Blake Bell moving to TE and Kendall Thompson transferring.

ou48A
04-20-2014, 11:18 AM
The Baker Mayfield family soon plans to appeal to the NCAA.

Oklahoma football: How Baker Mayfield grew up a Sooner fan in Austin, Texas | NewsOK.com (http://m.newsok.com/oklahoma-football-how-baker-mayfield-grew-up-a-sooner-fan-in-austin-texas/article/4083657)

Snowman
04-20-2014, 01:27 PM
It is pretty crappy TT is blocking the transfer of someone who was a walk on for their team.

Bigrayok
04-20-2014, 03:37 PM
I thought he looked good in the spring game.

Bigray in Ok

mugofbeer
04-20-2014, 04:05 PM
I'm still 100% against it but this is the kind of thing that makes certain football players want to unionize. TT wouldnt commit to a scholarship even though he had started 7 games for the school. Seems the school holds a few too many cards. Hope the NCAA makes the wise decision which is to let Mayfield be eligible immediately.

bluedogok
04-20-2014, 06:56 PM
It is pretty crappy TT is blocking the transfer of someone who was a walk on for their team.
I agree, the fact that he was a non-scholarship player going to the school on his (or parents) own dime should give him the ability to an open transfer like any other student. Since the school decided not to "lock him down" with a scholarship he should have freedom of movement since there seems to be no implied contract like a LOI or scholarship offer.

Urbanized
04-21-2014, 03:48 PM
Yeah, that is really, really crappy. Want to lock the kid down? Give him a scholly. Simple.