View Full Version : Microsoft Names Next Windows Operating System- Windows Vista

okcpulse
07-25-2005, 09:55 AM
Longhorn will be released in 2006 to consumers as Windows Vista. This comes after Microsoft tossed around in a large list of names, who decided Windows Vista would be the best name for Microsoft's next operating system. So many stories have been circulated about the project codenamed Longhorn. And as development begins winding down, various features continue to trickle out to publications such as PC World and PC Magazine. New features will include a graphics engine dubbed 'Avalon', and Indigo, a web services architecture, as well as the new Internet Explorer 7. While Windows Vista will sport an entirely new GUI look (graphic user interface), the more anticipated feature includes virtual folders, a much improved search engine, and transparent graphics. Although WinFS has been dropped from the project, it will be available later as an add-on, although you can supposedly download WinFS now from Microsoft.com. The interface will have a light, sleek look and feel that made Mac OS X on Apple Computers a very popular choice for computer consumers. But we all know Windows isn't Unix, like Mac OS X.

Despite that fact, Windows Vista is expected to the most stable and secure operating system released by Microsoft thus far. Critics argue that Windows Vista is nothing more than a simple upgrade from XP. Others argue that it may as well be a service pack 3 for XP. But no one can deny that Windows XP was the most popular operating system released by Microsoft, and almost everyone uses some version of XP. If Vista is an improvement on top of XP, then the argument has already been settled. Now, get ready for the bad news. Windows Vista is expected to be somewhat of a system hog. It will require at least 256 MB of RAM to run, and 512 MB recommended, according to PC Magazine. A decent graphics card is also recommended to take full advantage of Avalon. The OS will also be released in a 64-bit and 32-bit version. Suse Linux 9.2/9.3 is currently the only operating system designed for both 64-bit and 32-bit processors (you do not have to buy two separate versions). The price is still an uncertainty.

Another potential roadblock is the expected lawsuit by Vista Software, a technology company, for trademark infringement. It is uncertain whether this could delay the release of Windows Vista, or if Microsoft will settle out of court. At this time, the Beta 1 release will be next week to developers on August 3rd. Beta 2 will be out by December or early next year, with a December 2006 release for consumers. I look forward to getting a copy of Windows Vista to delve into the operating system's features. I plan to buy my wife an Apple Computer next year, as she is a Mac fan, and I already run both Linux and Windows on my workstation PC. So, we will enjoy the best of all three worlds. See you on the Vista!

mranderson
07-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Vista is Spanish for view, and is a common term. I am not sure they can file suit over the name unless Vista software has a program called Vista. This may fall under the same copyright rule as the title of a published work.

I would like to know more about this program. If it is a major upgrade, I will convert my computers to it.

ibda12u
07-25-2005, 10:58 AM
This is definatly a major upgrade. Honestly XP Sp2 is a major upgrade because of the amount of changes in functionality it does. It's not just about patching a few holes. It's almost as major as Win98, and Win98 SE. I guess though at first glance and to the usual consumer XP and XP SP2 visually aren't that different, but once you get under the hood. that's where you really see it.

okcpulse
07-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Vista is Spanish for view, and is a common term. I am not sure they can file suit over the name unless Vista software has a program called Vista. This may fall under the same copyright rule as the title of a published work.

I would like to know more about this program. If it is a major upgrade, I will convert my computers to it.

Windows Vista will not be a descendant of Windows XP. Windows Vista is being built on the Windows Server 2003 code base, which is Microsoft's most secure and stable operating system. This will be the biggest leap toward stability Microsoft has made since going from 9x platforms to NT platforms on PCs.

mranderson
07-26-2005, 12:36 PM
So. What you are saying is Vista can not be supported by XP, which means every computer using XP must buy a totally new operating system and not just upgrade. Is that correct?

Where can I find a VERY detailed report on Vista? Even Microsoft does not have much information.

okcpulse
07-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Here is a detailed web site you can view for information about Windows Vista. From what I understand, upgrades will be available. Windows XP upgrades were available for Windows 98 and Windows ME computers, although XP was not a descendant of either operating system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista#Aero

raneman
07-27-2005, 12:10 AM
How it all began:

http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/7954/7114xy.gif

Karried
07-27-2005, 01:30 PM
LOL , that's hilarious....it is probably true too!

soonerdm
07-29-2005, 07:21 PM
Windows Vista will not be a descendant of Windows XP. Windows Vista is being built on the Windows Server 2003 code base With the existing NTFS file system still in place this version is not much more than XP with some bells and whistles.