View Full Version : Musashi's

RadicalModerate
12-18-2013, 08:25 AM
There is probably already a thread in here about this restaurant, but I couldn't find it.

My grandaughter's choice for her eighteenth birthday dinner was this place and a small group, of eight family members, gathered here last night to celebrate it.

I had no personal prior point of reference for a restaurant like this, so I did a bit of online research to see what others thought of the place and to pick up a couple of clues as to what to order. If one were to believe about half of the reviews, one would expect it to be overpriced, overrated and ordinary. Apparently, half of the people reviewing this restaurant were talking out of the wrong end of their feeding tube.

My definition of a Good Dining Value is that you get what you pay for in the areas of Ambiance, Service and Food. In my opinion, Musashi's hit a 15 (3 x 5). In other words, it was a perfect dining experience (even if the chef missed one toss of a grilled lemon onto the point of his knife).

As a hobby cook, I was mesmerized by the skill of the chef who prepared our meals. I commented to my wife that I hoped they paid him well. Some have said that "you go to Vast for the view." Part of the, not inexpensive but priced right, cost of a meal at Musashi's has to go for the opportunity to view a master of one specialized segment of The Culinary Arts at work. From the fried rice (including the most amazing demonstration of the way to handle three eggs that I've ever seen) to the veggie prep (and everything in between) it was an awesome display of talent. And I never say "awesome" unless I mean it.

My wife and I requested The Family Dinner ($48) which allows you to sample several examples of what Musashi's can provide. The condensed version would be as follows:

The salad was simple, yet fresh, crisp, and had an interesting--in a good way--dressing.

The fried rice was probably the best I've ever had. It was so good that I even ate it with chopsticks.

The "proteins" (shrimp, chicken and steak) were perfectly cooked and flavorful enough right off the grill that they didn't need any other enhancement. However, the dipping sauces (one apparently mustard based, one dark) were delicious and shouldn't be missed.

I completed my meal by completely blowing my "eating plan" by eating the entire bowl of wonderful "Green Tea Ice Cream" provided for dessert and don't regret it a bit.

I didn't mention the Ambiance, but suffice it to say that--from the outdoor waiting area to the Grill Tables--it needs to be experienced to be fully appreciated. The Service was also flawless.

It may be awhile, yet we will be definitely going back for more. It was a great birthday present from our grandaughter to us.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1507217_623329794380956_861493529_o.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/964364_623330641047538_42216912_o.jpg

Dave Cook
12-20-2013, 12:28 AM
Are you an employee? LOL!

[Food snob alert] It's too bad Oklahoma City doesn't have a truly authentic Japanese restaurant or izakaya to offer up something other than the standard 'theme' restaurant.....but for what it is.....Musashi's isn't that bad. The food is good...and people seem to have an enjoyable evening.

NoOkie
12-21-2013, 07:09 AM
Are you an employee? LOL!

[Food snob alert] It's too bad Oklahoma City doesn't have a truly authentic Japanese restaurant or izakaya to offer up something other than the standard 'theme' restaurant.....but for what it is.....Musashi's isn't that bad. The food is good...and people seem to have an enjoyable evening.

I've heard Tokyo sushi has some fairly authentic non-sushi dishes. I've only had traditional Japanese food once when I was in high school, so I can't say how authentic Tokyo is. Their lunch bentos are tasty, though.

I do love me some Japanese steak houses, though. Butter on everything! Chefs doing silly tricks and hamming it up! I mean, come on, who doesn't love the fire volcano onion?

RadicalModerate
12-21-2013, 07:16 AM
At one point during out visit, the chef stacked the onion rings and asked, "You know what that's called?" (pause). . . "An onion."

Easy180
12-21-2013, 07:51 AM
I like Musashi's but Shogun is also very good and a better value so we normally head there even though it's further away

rjstone208
12-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Like Musashi's a lot. Great place for a party or just the family. Lived in Japan (Fukuoka on Kyushu) for about four years so pretty familiar with the cuisine. An izakaya is more like a bar that serves food than a restaurant. Japanese style pub grub. It's a place for the office workers to go after work and unwind, sometimes a lot. Tokyo is a fairly representative of a small family run restaurant you'd find in most cities in Japan. Nothing real fancy but good. Their donburi's (rice bowls with veggies and topped with a meat) are good and very authentic. Like their sushi much better than Sushi Neko.

MustangGT
12-21-2013, 11:13 AM
I have had good meals there and some that were strike outs. Easy180 like you I prefer Shoguns. My biggest complaint about Musashi's is their chintzy portion sizes compared to the oversized prices the clip you for. Also their food quality is inconsistent.

Wishbone
12-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Musashis's is our 2nd favorite Japenese steakhouse next to Shoguns. Yomatos would be 3rd.

RadicalModerate
12-22-2013, 11:18 AM
As I said, above, I have no prior point of reference for comparing Japanese Steak Houses, but I didn't think the portions were too small at all.
(of course, I've been limiting my food intake, for the last few months, so that may have some bearing on my perspective here and it--my perspective--being skewed or not skewed.)

Dave Cook
12-23-2013, 12:10 AM
An izakaya is more like a bar that serves food than a restaurant. Japanese style pub grub. It's a place for the office workers to go after work and unwind, sometimes a lot.

I'm really curious if an izakaya would go over in this part of the country.

Some good friends of mine from my Tokyo days hired a couple of local izakaya chefs and opened a place in Vancouver right on Robson Street in 2003. Ended up winning 'Top Five Izakaya in North America'. Now they've got six locations in Vancouver and Toronto.

I love izakaya food. Here in Bangkok, there are roughly 40,000 Japanese ex-pats so the food is authentic and just like home. Same could be said for Vancouver and Toronto....loads of Japanese living there. But with no Japanese community in Oklahoma City, I'm just not sure if something like this would fly. You think it would......how can you beat cases of Sapporo Super Dry (or Orion) with yakitori, karaage and nikujaga (not the singer)?

Hapa Izakaya « Modern Japanese Cuisine (http://hapaizakaya.com/)

RadicalModerate
12-23-2013, 12:22 AM
I'm really curious if an izakaya would go over in this part of the country.

Some good friends of mine from my Tokyo days hired a couple of local izakaya chefs and opened a place in Vancouver right on Robson Street in 2003. Ended up winning 'Top Five Izakaya in North America'. Now they've got six locations in Vancouver and Toronto.

I love izakaya food. Here in Bangkok, there are roughly 40,000 Japanese ex-pats so the food is authentic and just like home. Same could be said for Vancouver and Toronto....loads of Japanese living there. But with no Japanese community in Oklahoma City, I'm just not sure if something like this would fly. You think it would......how can you beat cases of Sapporo Super Dry (or Orion) with yakitori, karaage and nikujaga (not the singer)?

Hapa Izakaya « Modern Japanese Cuisine (http://hapaizakaya.com/)

Are you referring to a specific neighborhood in Bangkok when you say "this part of the country"?
Or perhaps you mean Thailand in general?

In either case, I'm not sure how a restaurant, on North Western, in OKC, would have anything to offer to resolve the continuing debate.