Anybody have one?

My 11 year old Lab has arthritis. She just started on Meloprax and
Norwegian Cod Liver oil.

MsProudSooner
12-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Cosequin

BBatesokc
12-20-2013, 09:20 AM
Mine was put on Glucosamine (bought it at Sam's) and it did wonders him until he finally passed. Turned the clock back several years as far as his ability to get up and down and run.

kelroy55
12-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Mine was put on Glucosamine (bought it at Sam's) and it did wonders him until he finally passed. Turned the clock back several years as far as his ability to get up and down and run.

I'll have to check that out. My Vets have always recommended Rimadyl.

BBatesokc
12-20-2013, 09:38 AM

The dose depends on your dog's size. So you'll need a pill cutter and check with your vet. Also, Sam's sells a brand with some added ingredient that the vet said was also good for our dog. We saw results within 2 weeks.

kelroy55
12-20-2013, 09:43 AM
The dose depends on your dog's size. So you'll need a pill cutter and check with your vet. Also, Sam's sells a brand with some added ingredient that the vet said was also good for our dog. We saw results within 2 weeks.

I'm sure I'll have to cut it down, it's for my Corgi. Losing a couple pounds wouldn't hurt him either.

Dubya61
12-20-2013, 10:21 AM

The downside to Rimadyl, is that it can negatively affect the liver. That's something your family (and your vet, if you choose to discuss it further) to discuss (considering what good you can expect from the Rimadyl and whether or not long-term negative effects of Rimadyl are worth consideration).

kelroy55
12-20-2013, 11:05 AM
The downside to Rimadyl, is that it can negatively affect the liver. That's something your family (and your vet, if you choose to discuss it further) to discuss (considering what good you can expect from the Rimadyl and whether or not long-term negative effects of Rimadyl are worth consideration).

That's true but not sure long term effects come into play for a dog that's already 13-14 years old. But I still want him around as long as I can and want him to be comfortable, pain free isn't really possible unless I use the Cannabis suggestion as well as medication :)

jerrywall
12-20-2013, 11:11 AM
It's been a 10 years, but our vet had us giving our Akita aspirin daily. Based on these posts, I'm guessing that's changed.

BBatesokc
12-20-2013, 11:16 AM
It's been a 10 years, but our vet had us giving our Akita aspirin daily. Based on these posts, I'm guessing that's changed.

Ours had us try baby aspirin, but it upset our dog's stomach.

ou48A
12-20-2013, 01:21 PM
This (MSM) has helped the older dogs I have had in several ways
MSM for Dogs | Methyl-sulfonyl-methane | Canine Supplements (http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/msm-for-dogs.html)

BBatesokc
12-20-2013, 01:36 PM
This (MSM) has helped the older dogs I have had in several ways
MSM for Dogs | Methyl-sulfonyl-methane | Canine Supplements (http://www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/msm-for-dogs.html)

Glad you mentioned MSM. That's the extra ingredient in the Glucosamine at Sam's Club.

ou48A
12-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Glad you mentioned MSM. That's the extra ingredient in the Glucosamine at Sam's Club.
I actually buy them separately at the heath food store and take both my self, I give the dog the same thing but at a lower dosage.
The VET said doing this was fine.
There is a noticeable difference in both of us when we have missed doses for several days.
Growing old can be hell on man and his best friend.

PennyQuilts
12-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Yup. MSM along with the glucosomine is really essential for a dog with bad joints.

One of our girls gets a very low dose of rimidyl every other day and has to have labwork done, periodically, to make sure it doesn't negatively impact her liver. I don't really like giving it to her but it has made a huge difference in her quality of life so I've been doing it. She's only 8 and her breed typically lives to 13-14. She was/is on the glucosamine and it just wasn't doing the job. That being said, we had a dog who was considerably older on glucosomine some years back and it did wonders for her. Apparently, it comes down to the dog and what is specifically going on with them, I guess.

Prunepicker
12-20-2013, 07:55 PM
She's on Meloxicam not Meloprax. 1/2 tab per day. It's working.

boscorama
12-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Yay!

jeninok
12-21-2013, 12:58 AM
Omega 3 fish oils along with a vitamin E pill do wonders for inflammation, that along with the glucosamine and msm help a lot.

Our old dog also really loved her heated dog bed in the cooler months. Even our 7 year old hound gets a little stiff on cold mornings and will wrestle with you for space under the heated blanket.

Meloxicam was a better long term choice for prescription meds for her than Rimadyl, and for the last of her 14 years she took tramadol and it kept her going and with some more perk in her step.

kelroy55
12-21-2013, 10:12 AM
If it works for the dog I'll have to take some too... this cold wet weather is killing my joints.

TaoMaas
12-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Cannabis.

We're talking about the pets...not owners. LOL Our dogs don't have arthritis as bad as others, but some glucosamine supplements did wonders for them.

boscorama
12-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Pot for medicinal purposes has been helpful in animals, and people. People, and animals.

We're talking about the pets...not owners. LOL Our dogs don't have arthritis as bad as others, but some glucosamine supplements did wonders for them.

kelroy55
12-22-2013, 09:23 AM

I picked some up at Sam's yesterday and I'll start taking it along with my little buddy. I'll cut his dose in half.

kelroy55
12-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Pot for medicinal purposes has been helpful in animals, and people. People, and animals.

The way mine just lay around and eat I think they are already stoned lol

BBatesokc
12-22-2013, 02:26 PM
I picked some up at Sam's yesterday and I'll start taking it along with my little buddy. I'll cut his dose in half.

Our vet said that as general rule the dosage is 500mg per 25 pounds of dog, once a day - for 'normal dogs'. However, if the dog is experiencing pain, or if you are just starting the drug, you can double or even triple that dose for the first 2-3 weeks and then tailor back towards the regular dose and determine what the least you can give and still notice an effect. Our 40 pound dog took an entire pill most of the time (1500mg). Our vet said it would be difficult to overdose a dog on Glucosamine and that most of what you buy at Sam's or in WalMarts is actually up to 30% filler and not active ingredient (so not really 1500mg of 'active' glucosamine). That's why you have to play with the dosage, but don't expect to see results for 2-8 weeks. Hope this helps. If you go to a specialty vitamin store that sells high quality glucosamine with very little filler (it will all have some), then stay closer to the original dosage guide.

kelroy55
12-23-2013, 06:04 AM
Thanks for the info !!! I'm hoping it helps the little guy.