View Full Version : ONG "constant" charges?

Servicetech571
12-17-2013, 05:16 AM
Does anybody know what the "constant" (the 1.0920 number) means on the gas bill?

Rivalyn
12-17-2013, 08:43 AM
Does anybody know what the "constant" (the 1.0920 number) means on the gas bill?

From ONG's FAQ page just because I was curious too:
Constant – The Constant is a pressure factor or meter factor used to convert metered volume to bill volume.

https://www.oklahomanaturalgas.com/en/CustomerCare/UnderstandingYourBill.aspx

stick47
12-17-2013, 09:00 AM
I figured that would be them charging at least $12/mo whether you used any of their product or not. Crooks.

Servicetech571
12-17-2013, 06:34 PM
From ONG's FAQ page just because I was curious too:
Constant – The Constant is a pressure factor or meter factor used to convert metered volume to bill volume.

https://www.oklahomanaturalgas.com/en/CustomerCare/UnderstandingYourBill.aspx

That's about as clear as mud...

windowphobe
12-18-2013, 05:35 PM
Most residential-size meters have a 1.0000 constant: the actual meter reading is equal to the volume of gas that passes through it. Bigger operations require different constants.

Now this is where it gets flaky. What you're paying for is energy content, which is measured in joules or BTUs or therms. (One dekatherm, the basic unit on a gas bill, is one million BTU.) However, local meters can't measure energy content, which varies from time to time, inasmuch as not all gas is absolutely identical. All they can measure is volume used, in MCF (thousands of cubic feet). So ONG monitors the energy content, reads your meter, applies a correction factor ("Btu factor" on the bill), and sends you a bill for dekatherms. The current Btu factor is apparently 1.036; it was 1.037 the month before.

Servicetech571
12-18-2013, 05:46 PM
Most residential-size meters have a 1.0000 constant: the actual meter reading is equal to the volume of gas that passes through it. Bigger operations require different constants.

Now this is where it gets flaky. What you're paying for is energy content, which is measured in joules or BTUs or therms. (One dekatherm, the basic unit on a gas bill, is one million BTU.) However, local meters can't measure energy content, which varies from time to time, inasmuch as not all gas is absolutely identical. All they can measure is volume used, in MCF (thousands of cubic feet). So ONG monitors the energy content, reads your meter, applies a correction factor ("Btu factor" on the bill), and sends you a bill for dekatherms. The current Btu factor is apparently 1.036; it was 1.037 the month before.

The BTU factor makes sense, I still don't understand the whole "constant" thing. I thought it might be some sort of tempature compensation.

QUAPAW5
12-18-2013, 08:25 PM
I figured that would be them charging at least $12/mo whether you used any of their product or not. Crooks. $12/Month .. you get off easy and cheap .. mine is $28.76 per month .. and its residental ... & you're right if you cut off your gas useage and use 0 units you're still billed This Fee. Service charge was tacked on without any public hearing i understand and it's to improve and maintain the present Gas system to Ong customers. Reminds me of the bell telephone rebate scam from the cc commission yrs ago, GP had no input there either

stick47
12-19-2013, 08:40 AM
The charge ($13 or $29) is according to your monthly usage. They list either low tier or high tier user according to the ONG Rep I spoke with on the phone.