View Full Version : Humans will live on the Moon within 30-40 years, predicts Commander Chris Hadfield

Prunepicker
12-17-2013, 01:01 AM
Why would anyone want to live on the Moon?

From The Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/10521578/Humans-will-live-on-the-Moon-within-30-40-years-predicts-Commander-Chris-Hadfield.html)
Commander Chris Hadfield, the astronaut who captured the public's
imagination when he recorded David Bowie's Space Oddity in the
International Space Station, has predicted man will live on the Moon
within his lifetime.

OKCisOK4me
12-17-2013, 01:07 AM
That's a healthy life...84-94 years of age. I can see it now, like in the new 'Time Machine' with Guy Pierce, where in the future, the moon is broken due to lunar drilling and pieces of it are impacting the surface of the earth due to gravitational forces thus destroying mankind.

Snowman
12-17-2013, 03:56 AM
That's a healthy life...84-94 years of age. I can see it now, like in the new 'Time Machine' with Guy Pierce, where in the future, the moon is broken due to lunar drilling and pieces of it are impacting the surface of the earth due to gravitational forces thus destroying mankind.

You would be having to doing a lot more than drilling to get pieces of the mood out of it's gravity well, it may only have one sixth earth's gravity but getting anything to escape velocity still will take a lot of force, it is doubtful any industrial explosions would even give even small rocks or dust enough thrust to clear the moon's gravity and even if it did get in earths path we already run into tons of asteroids and debris from asteroids or comets daily (with even more exotic materials than are on the moon) so that would not be an issue either.

Chadanth
12-17-2013, 05:01 AM
Cool. Why not?

BBatesokc
12-17-2013, 05:12 AM
I so tried to get my wife to sign up with me for the manned mission to Mars - I'm certain some people would be lining up to help assure I left this planet!

Moon life wouldn't be so bad, and its a heck of a lot closer.

Roger S
12-17-2013, 06:24 AM
Sign me up! I'll be the first man to cook BBQ on the moon!

There are trees and oxygen on the moon right? :wink:

OKCisOK4me
12-18-2013, 12:17 AM
You would be having to doing a lot more than drilling to get pieces of the mood out of it's gravity well, it may only have one sixth earth's gravity but getting anything to escape velocity still will take a lot of force, it is doubtful any industrial explosions would even give even small rocks or dust enough thrust to clear the moon's gravity and even if it did get in earths path we already run into tons of asteroids and debris from asteroids or comets daily (with even more exotic materials than are on the moon) so that would not be an issue either.

It was a movie....based on a classic science fiction novel by HG Wells ;-)