View Full Version : SW Corner of NW 30th & Classen

OKCisOK4me
12-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Is this corner zoned for commercial development? It just seems like a nice sized lot for a new apartment development and already in a great location as it's on the northern fringe of the Asian District. It's twice as large as the land the 18th Street Lofts occupies.

warreng88
12-11-2013, 08:17 AM
There were buildings there right up until New Year's Day 2011 and then this happened:

OKC Firefighters Battle New Year's Fire - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=13767970)

The owner tore them down and had plans to rebuild it as a strip shopping center but that may have fallen through in the last couple of years.

soonerguru
12-11-2013, 09:21 AM
There were buildings there right up until New Year's Day 2011 and then this happened:

OKC Firefighters Battle New Year's Fire - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | (http://www.news9.com/Global/story.asp?S=13767970)

The owner tore them down and had plans to rebuild it as a strip shopping center but that may have fallen through in the last couple of years.

That area doesn't need any more strip shopping centers.

warreng88
12-11-2013, 09:25 AM
That area doesn't need any more strip shopping centers.

Agreed but that is what the owner was proposing. If I remember correctly, it was very plain looking like most strip shopping centers are.

tomokc
12-11-2013, 09:36 AM
Not many like the appearance of a typical strip center, but there certainly seems to be commercial demand in this area. Hopefully the developer will bear this in mind if he proceeds with commercial development plans.

But the area would be served if there were a design committee or design parameters for future development.

CuatrodeMayo
12-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Another cheap, tacky, "Asian" themed strip mall is the last thing this city needs.

tomokc
12-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Another cheap, tacky, "Asian" themed strip mall is the last thing this city needs.

I don't think I'd vocalize that sentiment in the Asian District. There was quite a battle over architecture and design with structures placed in medians and public areas a few years ago.