View Full Version : Mack Brown stepping down.

Pages : [1] 2

Garin
12-10-2013, 02:03 PM
Mark it down Saban is in @ 115 million 10 year deal. Already closed on a new house in Austin. Alabama kids are already decommitting from the tide.

Pete
12-10-2013, 02:05 PM
^

That's all premature and speculative.

The school is denying it... Has a board of regents meeting on Thursday. If anything official is going to happen, it will be announced after that.

Roger S
12-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Mark it down Saban is in @ 115 million 10 year deal. Already closed on a new house in Austin. Alabama kids are already decommitting from the tide.

Hmmmm... Can you cite any sources on this info?

Stew
12-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Mack Brown is a fine coach and Tejas should give him a life time contract with a $50,000,000,000,000 buyout clause.

lasomeday
12-10-2013, 02:29 PM

Really? Espn is denying your source.

Mack Brown denies report that he is stepping down as Texas Longhorns coach - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10115293/mack-brown-denies-report-stepping-texas-longhorns-coach)

warreng88
12-10-2013, 02:31 PM
If Saban comes to UT, I don't think he will do it for less that $7 million/year, which would be $2 million more than any college football coach. And he would make $1,000,000 less than the highest paid coach in the NFL and $1,000,000 more than any of the other coaches below him.

adaniel
12-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Still not convinced he would be leaving Alabama. I think he is just toying with UA to cough up more cash. Saban is too ruthless to want to engage in the good-ole-boy politicking that is needed at UT.

There seems to be a big rumor out there that Saban's wife just closed on a home in Austin. Even if that is true, supposedly they own real estate all over. And Saban does recruit heavily in TX now, might as well get a place.

Jersey Boss
12-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Terry[Saban} bought property in Baton Rouge last year, and she’s a licensed real estate agent with plenty of money to play with if she’s interested in making business deals. Perhaps the house is for Saban’s son and daughter-in-law? Before we jump to any conclusions, there are in fact 1,000 different reasons Mrs. Saban could want property or a home in Austin.

Saban?s wife house hunting in Texas goes viral | Saturday Down South (http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/nick-saban-wife-house-hunting-texas/)

dankrutka
12-10-2013, 02:54 PM

Do you just bounce from thread to thread posting inaccuracies? Mack may leave. Saban may come. Neither is verified at this point. Where did you see Alabama decommitments? Goodness. Please just suspend your judgment and think about it for a while before posting.

OKCisOK4me
12-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Mack Brown was at a house in Miami, FL, recruiting and he tweeted that if he was stepping down, he wouldn't be "killing" himself down there.

Martin
12-10-2013, 04:16 PM
mack brown was at a house in miami, fl

THIS JUST IN, MACK BROWN LEAVING TEXAS TO COACH AT MIAMI. MARK IT DOWN. -M

/not really

venture
12-10-2013, 06:05 PM
This morning Mack said he will have an answer in 2 days on what we wants to do. Then rumors went crazy and he came out denying them. What a mess.

Thread title should be changed because this is just all made up stuff at this point by Garin. Unless he would like to cite his sources. Used toilet paper doesn't count.

stratosphere
12-10-2013, 06:08 PM
"Im not going anywhere" - Les Miles 2004

venture
12-10-2013, 06:12 PM
"Im not going anywhere" - Les Miles 2004

Every coach tends to say that. :) I just think we need some sources when specific numbers and actions are being "reported" by a handle on a message board.

Garin
12-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Mack brown is stepping down its fact. Will happen either Thursday or Friday. I won't give up my source but it's 100% accurate. The thread title is accurate.

Chadanth
12-10-2013, 07:52 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Brown go, but why would Saban leave Alabama? He's built a machine there and it would take a few years to get back there, if ever.

SoonerDave
12-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Brown stepping down was reported by OrangeBloods.com, a reasonably reliable source of Texas athletic info. They were among the first to report about DeLoss Dodds' departure as Texas' AD, which was immediately and vehemently denied, only to be announced to the world "officially" a couple of days later.

My inferences from what I've been reading and hearing today is that there's a fairly carefully orchestrated dance going on. Texas wants Mack out, but they don't want to dishonor or humiliate him because he has been one of their most successful coaches ever, in spite of some conspicuous failings. I believe there is a desire to give Brown the option to "step down" on his own, and the last rumblings I read suggest this will happen later this week.

There is, however, considerable doubt about just how much of a "lock" Saban is for the job. Some reports I've read (sorry, I don't have links, because the reports are old and frankly don't remember the sources where I read them) when this was not so nearly as "hot" a topic was that Saban politely already declined the Texas job, but did inform them that it was about the "only job he'd leave Bama for." That's led some to speculate that a sufficiently large truckload of money might sway him, but there also lurks the notion that he'd like to give the NFL a second try - especially given the fact the's set the bar so high at his previous college efforts, what would be the point of trying again - his college coaching legacy is secure.

I have absolutely no double-secret insider info either way on Saban. I personally think there are political issues inside Texas that make being the HC down there a lot harder than people realize - which is precisely why a school with all the resources they have, including virtually unlimited money, has only produced one national title since the 60's (under Brown), but has produced seemingly myriad coaching disappointments - folks like John Mackovic, or even Fred Akers back in the day. IMHO, there's a great deal to be said about the influence of what I'd call the Texas "good ol' boy" network, that more or less tells coaches whom they should or shouldn't play - and they're expected to listen. Do I really think Mack Brown didn't want RGIII? Or really thought Chris Simms was the Next Great QB at Texas? Brown will have a mixed history at Texas, but he's not stupid - I firmly believe that many of his more curious coaching decisions were a direct result of that "good ol' boy" influence. Think of it as the Jerry Jones aura at the college level, but spread over a handful of powerful, crusty, old donors. And I also think Nick Saban is smart enough to know that while those issues exist at virtually every major college program in varying degrees, they have a unique potential to serve as a seriously obstructionist influence at a place like UT - and he surely doesn't need or want that kind of hassle.

Some suggest Saban will go merely for the fact that rumors are surfacing that the SEC plans to start coming down hard on schools for the practice of what's called "greyshirting," which is a method of oversigning athletes to scholarships knowing they don't have enough for all the kids that are signed - and then not telling them until they arrive on campus and have no option to go anywhere else. Make no mistake - one element of Saban's success has been his ability to scoop up ridiculous layer of NFL-caliber talent year in and year out, and if one technique to do this is being cut off, he could find this a great reason to bail out now. Who knows.

The point is that no one knows, although I suspect the Orangebloods.com report is reliable. And I think Mack Brown will be done by the end of the week. He may opt to force the issue on Texas, as if to say, "No, I won't step down and take a different position in the athletic department. If you want me out, you'll have to fire me in front of the whole world." That's obviously a bridge-burning scenario Texas wouldn't want or need.

We'll see how it all unfolds.

OKCisOK4me
12-10-2013, 08:24 PM
If the truth is the Mack Brown is stepping down then I don't think he's just going to flat out say he's stepping down today cause he'd be "scared to death" of how that might affect the program, lol.

Things that Scare Mack Brown (http://thingsthatscaremackbrown.tumblr.com/)

venture
12-10-2013, 11:41 PM
Some more legitimate names, at least I would think, starting to come up...

Mike Tomlin, Jim Harbaugh reported as possible Texas candidates - CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24371923/mike-tomlin-jim-harbaugh-reported-as-possible-texas-candidates)

dankrutka
12-11-2013, 12:18 AM
...the influence of what I'd call the Texas "good ol' boy" network, that more or less tells coaches whom they should or shouldn't play - and they're expected to listen. Do I really think Mack Brown didn't want RGIII? Or really thought Chris Simms was the Next Great QB at Texas? Brown will have a mixed history at Texas, but he's not stupid - I firmly believe that many of his more curious coaching decisions were a direct result of that "good ol' boy" influence. Think of it as the Jerry Jones aura at the college level, but spread over a handful of powerful, crusty, old donors. And I also think Nick Saban is smart enough to know that while those issues exist at virtually every major college program in varying degrees, they have a unique potential to serve as a seriously obstructionist influence at a place like UT - and he surely doesn't need or want that kind of hassle.

Wait. You think donors get together and tell coaches at the most powerful programs who to recruit and play? I don't think so. The biggest coaches are running things and certainly not being micromanaged by donors unless they let it happen. You also realize that Chris Simms was a more highly sought after recruit than RG3, right? Recruiting is not a science and a lot of people miss on great prospects. Anyway, I don't really disagree with your larger points, but that this part was pretty shaky.

zookeeper
12-11-2013, 01:00 AM
Good luck to Mack Brown whatever happens. He's a good guy and a class coach.

SoonerDave
12-11-2013, 07:45 AM
Wait. You think donors get together and tell coaches at the most powerful programs who to recruit and play? I don't think so. The biggest coaches are running things and certainly not being micromanaged by donors unless they let it happen. You also realize that Chris Simms was a more highly sought after recruit than RG3, right? Recruiting is not a science and a lot of people miss on great prospects. Anyway, I don't really disagree with your larger points, but that this part was pretty shaky.

At most programs? No. At Texas in particular? Yes. I think Texas is a peculiar subculture unto itself. You telling me that a school that develops its own nationwide football channel and basically owns its own football conference wouldn't have the donor impetus to micromanage that football program if they chose? Don't think its a shaky suggestion at all. There has to be a reason why a program like Texas, with its unmatched resources, has produced only two national titles in, what, five decades?

Think about it - how long did it take Texas to embrace minority athletes the way, say, Switzer, did? You think that was solely because of the coaches that went through that program, or because of the implicit direction of the higher ups? Not saying that's what's going on now, but I think the mindset of "he who has the gold makes the rules" is a significant player in the overarching history of Texas football.

Just the facts
12-11-2013, 08:01 AM
From ESPN today....

Alabama Crimson Tide offer Nick Saban another contract extension - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10118037/alabama-crimson-tide-offer-nick-saban-another-contract-extension)

Alabama coach Nick Saban has had a contract extension on his desk since Friday, and the longer it goes unsigned, the more uncomfortable Alabama officials grow, sources said.

Laramie
12-11-2013, 08:06 AM
You think 'Bama' getting uncomfortable? What about the rest of the college football world...

Hope these rumors about Saban possibly being hired by Texas aren't true; this would be another possible nightmare for college football. It's bad enough that Alabama is dominating the college football scene right now without having to focus on Saban setting up shop at UT. Maybe Alabama caused a lot of flack in that chaotic lost to Auburn and Saban is making them pay with the waiting game.

Surely Saban has got to realize that if he goes to the Texas Longhorns that there's going to be a lot of politics and INSTANT EXPECTATIONS of him to turn that program around. Could Saban put up with letting those arrogant officials in Austin push him around?

Austin would definitely be a night place to retire.

FritterGirl
12-11-2013, 08:19 AM
At this point given the conference realignments: Alabama/SEC > Texas/NotReallyBigXII I'd be shocked to see Saban in burnt orange, but stranger things have happened.

Just the facts
12-11-2013, 08:22 AM
At this point given the conference realignments: Alabama/SEC > Texas/NotReallyBigXII I'd be shocked to see Saban in burnt orange, but stranger things have happened.

$7 million > $5 million.

Laramie
12-11-2013, 08:23 AM
My worst fears are developing right before my eyes:

Texas Longhorns eyeing Nick Saban to replace Brown - 12-11-2013 (http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=349029)

Alabama counters...

Nick Saban will apparently have about seven million reasons to rebuff any overtures from the University of Texas.

Updates on Nick Saban's Reported Contract Negotiations with Alabama | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1884248-updates-on-nick-sabans-reported-contract-negotiations-with-alabama)

soonerguru
12-11-2013, 08:29 AM

Texas Longhorns eyeing Nick Saban to replace Brown - 12-11-2013 (http://www.covers.com/articles/articles.aspx?theArt=349029)

Nick Saban will apparently have about seven million reasons to rebuff any overtures from the University of Texas.

Updates on Nick Saban's Reported Contract Negotiations with Alabama | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1884248-updates-on-nick-sabans-reported-contract-negotiations-with-alabama)

On the surface, this sucks. However, this will make OU better. This is the kick in the proverbial pants to get Bob Stoops' competitive juices flowing. Also, this would be great for our conference.

SoonerDave
12-11-2013, 08:31 AM

That link also quotes a Dean Blevins tweet. The same Dean Blevins that had Bob Stoops to Florida as a "done deal" a few years back.

Maybe Saban goes, maybe he doesn't. Who knows. If he does, I'm sure not sounding the death knell for OU as some people are. He's obviously a great coach and knows how to win, but I don't think we should start tearing down the stadium in Norman if Saban starts wearing burnt orange next year.

The pressure on Saban to win instantly would, I think, be unparalleled in CFB. In my own feeble head, that level of expectation could simultaneously prove as both the biggest challenge and biggest negative to him making the move; that expectation might convince him to jump to UT from an ego standpoint, just to prove he could do it, but might also convince him not to come from an "I'm already a legend with a pile of money and don't need the pressure or headaches" perspective.

Either way, college football will continue to be played. The panic I'm hearing from some circles needs to be tempered a bit. Remember hearing the same kind of panic when Brown went to Texas in the first place, and we all know how that's turned out.

Let's just see how it goes.

soonerguru
12-11-2013, 09:19 AM
That link also quotes a Dean Blevins tweet. The same Dean Blevins that had Bob Stoops to Florida as a "done deal" a few years back.

Maybe Saban goes, maybe he doesn't. Who knows. If he does, I'm sure not sounding the death knell for OU as some people are. He's obviously a great coach and knows how to win, but I don't think we should start tearing down the stadium in Norman if Saban starts wearing burnt orange next year.

The pressure on Saban to win instantly would, I think, be unparalleled in CFB. In my own feeble head, that level of expectation could simultaneously prove as both the biggest challenge and biggest negative to him making the move; that expectation might convince him to jump to UT from an ego standpoint, just to prove he could do it, but might also convince him not to come from an "I'm already a legend with a pile of money and don't need the pressure or headaches" perspective.

Either way, college football will continue to be played. The panic I'm hearing from some circles needs to be tempered a bit. Remember hearing the same kind of panic when Brown went to Texas in the first place, and we all know how that's turned out.

Let's just see how it goes.

His wife was quoted as saying Alabama fans don't appreciate what he's done for their program. Guessing this little flirtation with Texas will remind them what they have.

kevinpate
12-11-2013, 09:52 AM
How to Get a pay raise without leaving the office ... ask the missus to buy real estate in Austin.

Stan Silliman
12-11-2013, 10:51 AM
How to Get a pay raise without leaving the office ... ask the missus to buy real estate in Austin.

That's a pretty good trick. At the worse you might lose $ 50,000 on your home purchase. Weigh that against a $ 2-3 million per year raise and it seems like small change. Plus the house has the cache for realtors of having belonged to a celebrity.

PWitty
12-11-2013, 02:30 PM

That's the exact reason why he would leave. The SEC has gotten to the point where Saban has to have his guys firing on all cylinders, for over half the season, to keep themselves in the hunt to play for a title. Back when he first got there it was really just LSU and Florida (different division) that could compete with Bama year in and year out. Now A&M is in the conference and on an upward trend, as well as Missouri, and Auburn seems to have a coach that can lead it to sustained success as well. And since LSU/A&M/AUB are all in Bama's division, that's three TOUGH games every season that are potential road blocks.

Honestly, who in the Big 12 could consistently compete with Saban's squad (assuming they're as talented as his current and previous Bama teams)? OU and OSU? And this is coming from someone who hates the SEC.

I think if anything, Saban would be tempted to come to the Big 12 because it would allow him more room for error over the course of the season. Not to mention he could hand pick pretty much any HS football player from the state of Texas to come play for him.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. And no matter how you feel about UT, a strong UT football program does nothing but elevate this entire conference. The Big 12 needs to get back to what it was a few years ago when there was consistently a team competing for a national title.

OKCRT
12-11-2013, 05:32 PM
That's the exact reason why he would leave. The SEC has gotten to the point where Saban has to have his guys firing on all cylinders, for over half the season, to keep themselves in the hunt to play for a title. Back when he first got there it was really just LSU and Florida (different division) that could compete with Bama year in and year out. Now A&M is in the conference and on an upward trend, as well as Missouri, and Auburn seems to have a coach that can lead it to sustained success as well. And since LSU/A&M/AUB are all in Bama's division, that's three TOUGH games every season that are potential road blocks.

Honestly, who in the Big 12 could consistently compete with Saban's squad (assuming they're as talented as his current and previous Bama teams)? OU and OSU? And this is coming from someone who hates the SEC.

I think if anything, Saban would be tempted to come to the Big 12 because it would allow him more room for error over the course of the season. Not to mention he could hand pick pretty much any HS football player from the state of Texas to come play for him.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. And no matter how you feel about UT, a strong UT football program does nothing but elevate this entire conference. The Big 12 needs to get back to what it was a few years ago when there was consistently a team competing for a national title.

Texas run the BigXII and if they get Saban they will rule the BigXII for as long as Saban wants to. This would be bad news for the rest of the BigXII because Saban with his hand picked recruits would be dominating. He would have an easy path to a NC game every year. OU/OSU/Baylor would offer little resistance. The worst thing for the BigXII would be having this guy coaching at Texas. It would be like one Bull and 9 cows and that Bull would be out humping all those cows making little calves. The rest of the BigXII teams need to pray that this doesn't happen. Hope that Art Briles or Sumlin gets that job because if Saban comes in you might as well throw in the towel.

Laramie
12-11-2013, 06:10 PM

Not so fast...

Texas has tougher entrance requirements than many of the current Big XII schools. There's enough talent there and some of that talent has big boosters who want their relatives on the playing field. Texas is a different animal with challenges unforeseen by many aspiring coaches. At 62 does Nick Saban want to go through all of that?

Saban's legacy is signed, sealed and delivered. He made one big bonehead mistake attempting to kick that field goal against Auburn; we'll see how big an EGO he possesses. Some coaches just don't know when to hang it up. Joe Paterno and Mack Brown are the latest to miss the train as it left the station.

zookeeper
12-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Not so fast...

Texas has tougher entrance requirements than many of the current Big XII schools. There's enough talent there and some of that talent has big boosters who want their relatives on the playing field. Texas is a different animal with challenges unforeseen by many aspiring coaches. At 62 does Nick Saban want to go through all of that?

Saban's legacy is signed, sealed and delivered. He made one big bonehead mistake attempting to kick that field goal against Auburn; we'll see how big an EGO he possesses. Some coaches just don't know when to hang it up. Joe Paterno and Mack Brown are the latest to miss the train as it left the station.

Entrance requirements for bigtime college football is almost quaint. These days, it's all about the "special admits." For example:

"But not everyone is cut out to be a student; most football players are not. Most do not meet their college's admission standards. Nevertheless, they are enrolled, as "special admits." At Georgia and Texas A&M, not untypically, 94% of freshman football players were special admits. Even with gut courses and special tutoring, barely 50% of college football players graduate." Baltimore Sun (http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-10-30/news/bs-ed-college-football-20131030_1_southeastern-conference-football-college-presidents)

Barely 50% of football players graduate, less than 25% of black football players ever graduate. The "special admit" has blown any thought about "student athletes" out of the water.

Admissions wouldn't be a problem for a Nick Saban at Texas.

Laramie
12-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Here is an outstanding coach who several years ago was in a position to move into the Athletic Director's position and had a coach-in-waiting (Will Muschamp). Things were really looking upbeat in Austin. Mack Brown wanted to seal his legacy with one or possibly two more national championship crystal balls before the immaculate transition.

Mack Brown didn't see the danger involved with attempting to win a few national championships as he exited the coaching ranks to replace DeLoss Dodds as Athletic Director. Will Muschamp apparently got tired of waiting or saw what Mack didn't see coming...

A Longhorn political football: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAz9e8_eogmgrONElLTbJqj_11sW5ra 9GC_VnQXP5Id3avf5fv4Q

Texas Football Coach Mack Brown Will Reportedly Resign (Or Be Fired) By The End Of This Week:

Texas Football Coach Mack Brown Will Reportedly Resign (Or Be Fired) By The End Of This Week | The Smoking Section (http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2013/12/texas-football-mack-brown-resign)

http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif "Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

Martin
12-12-2013, 09:59 AM
oh right... it's a real shame that muschamp didn't get the opportunity to coach for ut... he's doing wonders for the gators. i seem to forget which bowl they're going to this year...

-M

OKCRT
12-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Here is an outstanding coach who several years ago was in a position to move into the Athletic Director's position and had a coach-in-waiting (Will Muschamp). Things were really looking upbeat in Austin. Mack Brown wanted to seal his legacy with one or possibly two more national championship crystal balls before the immaculate transition.

Mack Brown didn't see the danger involved with attempting to win a few national championships as he exited the coaching ranks to replace DeLoss Dodds as Athletic Director. Will Muschamp apparently got tired of waiting or saw what Mack didn't see coming...

A Longhorn political football: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAz9e8_eogmgrONElLTbJqj_11sW5ra 9GC_VnQXP5Id3avf5fv4Q

Texas Football Coach Mack Brown Will Reportedly Resign (Or Be Fired) By The End Of This Week:

Texas Football Coach Mack Brown Will Reportedly Resign (Or Be Fired) By The End Of This Week | The Smoking Section (http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2013/12/texas-football-mack-brown-resign)

http://www.thunderfans.com/vforum/images/smilies/okc.gif "Oklahoma City looks oh-so pretty as I get my kicks on Route 66." --Nat King Cole.

I have to disagree with Brown being a good coach I think he's average. In fact I think just about any average coach could have done what he has done with the resources he's had to work with. Stoops is a good coach and if he was running the program down there he would have many more titles hanging on the wall than Brown does IMO. Now Saban is a great coach and pray he doesn't go to Texas. Texas has always been able to cherry pick the recruits they want. If Saban gets there he will not only cherry pick Texas but Ga. Fl. or anywhere else he wants to venture.

ou48A
12-12-2013, 10:21 AM
On the surface, this sucks. However, this will make OU better. This is the kick in the proverbial pants to get Bob Stoops' competitive juices flowing. Also, this would be great for our conference.

This^ +
He will make Texas better but don't fear Saban at Texas like a lot of the local sports media is pushing.

Why.... because unlike at Alabama not everybody at Texas is going to be on the same page..
There is so much factional in fighting at UT among their biggest boosters that it wouldn’t be long before this was a big distraction for Saban..... All the big shots will want his ear..... He did not have this distraction at Alabama at least on this scale.
Saban is almost 63 years old.... Even if he does take the UT job he is not going to be their for a long time.

PWitty
12-12-2013, 03:30 PM
I have to disagree with Brown being a good coach I think he's average. In fact I think just about any average coach could have done what he has done with the resources he's had to work with. Stoops is a good coach and if he was running the program down there he would have many more titles hanging on the wall than Brown does IMO. Now Saban is a great coach and pray he doesn't go to Texas. Texas has always been able to cherry pick the recruits they want. If Saban gets there he will not only cherry pick Texas but Ga. Fl. or anywhere else he wants to venture.

Slow your roll there buddy. I wouldn't say Mack Brown is just an average coach. UT was straight dominant for a good 9 year stretch, but I'll admit they have fallen off the last 4 years. And don't try and act like Stoops doesn't have the same kind of tools at his disposal. OU is still one of the top 5 programs in the country, prestige wise, and historically OU has been one of the biggest beneficiaries of Texas HS football recruits besides UT. Stoops has had some pretty phenomenal talent in Norman recently and he doesn't have any more to show for it than Mack Brown.

And I'm a KU grad from KC so my opinion is totally unbiased, which I'm assuming is the opposite of yours :wink: I just had to step in before it turns into a Stoops>Brown thread.

PWitty
12-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Texas run the BigXII and if they get Saban they will rule the BigXII for as long as Saban wants to. This would be bad news for the rest of the BigXII because Saban with his hand picked recruits would be dominating. He would have an easy path to a NC game every year. OU/OSU/Baylor would offer little resistance. The worst thing for the BigXII would be having this guy coaching at Texas. It would be like one Bull and 9 cows and that Bull would be out humping all those cows making little calves. The rest of the BigXII teams need to pray that this doesn't happen. Hope that Art Briles or Sumlin gets that job because if Saban comes in you might as well throw in the towel.

Even if Saban was dominant for a few years at UT, it would still be great for the Big 12. Like others have said, he is old and won't be there for too long even if he does end up there. We have to face facts, the last several years the Big 12 has been pretty much non-existent on a national scale. Nobody cares about Big 12 football outside of the Big 12. All anyone cares about is Oregon in the Pac 12, and the SEC. The SEC has run the show for what, 7 years in a row? If Saban came in and led UT to a national title, it would get the Big 12 back on the big stage and regain some of the luster it has lost over the last several years. Heck, he wouldn't even have to win! Just having him go to UT would put all eyes on Texas and the Big 12 conference. Look at the SEC for instance. Most SEC teams don't play any real competition outside of their conference schedule, so all anyone has to do is put up a good fight against Bama and all of a sudden the media is in love with them. I don't see how anyone could think Saban being at UT would be anything but great for the conference, outside of OU fans who just don't want to see it happen.

adaniel
12-12-2013, 05:02 PM

Don't know if I completely agree with this.

Texas is not the dream job a lot of people have made it out to be. They have a lot of money for sure. But they've always had a lot of money and look what it has to show for it. As it stands now, UT athletics is in a state of disarray. Football, basketball, baseball, etc have all fallen off bigtime in the past 5 years. As an OU alum I would take heart in it if it OU wasn't so tied to the hip to them. There are lots of reasons as to why, but the main one is money corrupts, and their are way too many cooks in the kitchen, in terms of who's in charge at UT. Really an overall void in leadership, and Dodd was not getting it done. There is also a definite good-ole-boy contingent of people and coaches in the HS system that have to be kept happy in Texas. It exists everywhere, but given the cutthroat level of competition of TX HS athletics and overall size of the state it is worse there than anywhere else. FWIW I am the son of a school administrator in a pretty large ISD down there; let's just say I've seen some things. Say what you will about Mack Brown but he is (was?) very good at navigating this world. I think with much more parity in CFB most coaches would not have the patience to do so.

For these reasons and more I am still not convinced Saban is going anywhere. I am stunned how many UT fans, donors, and alumni, most who are pretty smart people, have bet the house on obtaining him. UT has backed itself into a corner here, and anything short of getting Saban will be seen as a failure that will ultimately handicap whatever coach they do settle on. Simply put, lots of folks have drank the "We're Texas" Kool aid and are convinced that the UT prestige (Ha!) and cash will cause him to leave a job and thriving program that he has 110% control over to one that is a shell of itself and one where he has to answer to every Tom Dick and Harry in the state. Sorry just not seeing it.

kwhey
12-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Mack Brown to remain Texas head coach, according to report - SBNation.com (http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/12/13/5208902/mack-brown-staying-texas-longhorns)

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/12/13/5176844/nick-saban-texas-alabama-coach

Jersey Boss
12-13-2013, 09:41 PM
But, but, but.... "Mark it down Saban is in @ 115 million 10 year deal. Already closed on a new house in Austin. Alabama kids are already decommitting from the tide." "Mack brown is stepping down its fact. Will happen either Thursday or Friday. I won't give up my source but it's 100% accurate. The thread title is accurate."

ou48A
12-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Alabama Athletics ‏@UA_Athletics
"We are excited about the future and the University of Alabama is where I plan to end my coaching career." - Head Coach Nick Saban

Mississippi Blues
12-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Mark it down, Garin, his thread, & his sources are 100% laughable.

BrettM2
12-13-2013, 09:50 PM
So if I can't trust Garin with Texas football scoops, can I trust him regarding the age of the Earth and Niagara Falls? I feel so lost...

kevinpate
12-13-2013, 09:54 PM
Perhaps the OP's original source was The Onion?

Laramie
12-13-2013, 10:03 PM
Yeah! Mack has one lifeline left. He deserves at least another year.

venture
12-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Mark it down, Garin, his thread, & his sources are 100% laughable.

If only he would do the honorable thing. Fall on his sword (delete his account) and go away.

It is pretty obvious the guy is just here to cause issues and troll people. While he does provide a certain amount of entertainment, I'm start to feel bad inside. It's just not fair with the cards he was dealt. ;)

zookeeper
12-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Count out Nick Saban.

CNN Sports: Saban signs new contract with 'Bama (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1884200-nick-saban-signs-contract-extension-with-alabama-crimson-tide?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t2)

Rivals.com (http://alabama.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1584383):

Nick Saban is staying at the University of Alabama, just like he said all along. Saban reached an agreement Friday that is expected to raise his salary to between $7 and $7.5 million per year from his current annual compensation of almost $5.4 million and extend his term as head football coach of the Crimson Tide.

Chadanth
12-14-2013, 08:22 AM
Mack brown is stepping down its fact. Will happen either Thursday or Friday. I won't give up my source but it's 100% accurate. The thread title is accurate.

Here we are on Saturday, Mack Brown is still employed and Saban just signed an extension at Alabama. Any other bold, 100% accurate predictions?

SoonerDave
12-14-2013, 09:53 AM
Here we are on Saturday, Mack Brown is still employed and Saban just signed an extension at Alabama. Any other bold, 100% accurate predictions?

I would expect part of the dance here was that Texas wasn't going to force out Mack until they had their #1 draft pick in house. Now, assuming that Saban has actally signed the extension, Texas power brokers are looking for their #2 guy in the hopes of making it look as though he, whomever it may be, was their intended all along.

Now, mind you, not to put too fine a point on all this, but unless someone can find a report to the contrary, every media article I've seen so far on this has said that Saban has agreed to or finalized and extension with Alabama. I would very much like a pointer to an article that affirmatively and specifically states Saban has signed that deal.

Before someone suggests I'm trying to delude myself into thinking there's some secret notions that might still land Saban at UT, I'm not; I've never been much in the "Saban to UT" camp. But I would like to see something that says he actually signed the new deal. Just for the sake of completeness.

As for Brown stepping down, I don't see any way around this. Texas' athletic structure until this year insulated Mack Brown from the more powerful of the contrary donors, which was essentially DeLoss Dodds. When football plus other factors regarding legal entanglements made Dodds' departure inevitable, so went Brown's protection. Mind you, the groups that have wanted Mack out didn't just start brewing this season - there's been this sentiment for a time now. I don't pretend to have any double-secret sources, just a fairly reasonable interpretation of what I've read about Texas football over the last several years, not just in the last week or so. There's still a 1-in-100 shot Brown could stay, but it's almost impossible for me to see how. Dodds' was truly his last defender with any influence to keep him, and the big-time guys who want him out now have (essentially) their guy in charge now. Can't see how he stays. Nothing's impossible, of course, but it just seems a real longshot to me now.

Chadanth
12-14-2013, 10:09 AM
I would expect part of the dance here was that Texas wasn't going to force out Mack until they had their #1 draft pick in house. Now, assuming that Saban has actally signed the extension, Texas power brokers are looking for their #2 guy in the hopes of making it look as though he, whomever it may be, was their intended all along.

Now, mind you, not to put too fine a point on all this, but unless someone can find a report to the contrary, every media article I've seen so far on this has said that Saban has agreed to or finalized and extension with Alabama. I would very much like a pointer to an article that affirmatively and specifically states Saban has signed that deal.

Before someone suggests I'm trying to delude myself into thinking there's some secret notions that might still land Saban at UT, I'm not; I've never been much in the "Saban to UT" camp. But I would like to see something that says he actually signed the new deal. Just for the sake of completeness.

As for Brown stepping down, I don't see any way around this. Texas' athletic structure until this year insulated Mack Brown from the more powerful of the contrary donors, which was essentially DeLoss Dodds. When football plus other factors regarding legal entanglements made Dodds' departure inevitable, so went Brown's protection. Mind you, the groups that have wanted Mack out didn't just start brewing this season - there's been this sentiment for a time now. I don't pretend to have any double-secret sources, just a fairly reasonable interpretation of what I've read about Texas football over the last several years, not just in the last week or so. There's still a 1-in-100 shot Brown could stay, but it's almost impossible for me to see how. Dodds' was truly his last defender with any influence to keep him, and the big-time guys who want him out now have (essentially) their guy in charge now. Can't see how he stays. Nothing's impossible, of course, but it just seems a real longshot to me now.

I was pointing out the foolishness of a guy on a forum in OKC saying it was a done. 100% deal. I'm convinced Brown is on his way out, but it might wait until after the bowls. There's not a lot of talent on the street right now, and coaches of bowl-bound teams aren't going to jump ship just yet.

SoonerDave
12-14-2013, 10:22 AM
I was pointing out the foolishness of a guy on a forum in OKC saying it was a done. 100% deal. I'm convinced Brown is on his way out, but it might wait until after the bowls. There's not a lot of talent on the street right now, and coaches of bowl-bound teams aren't going to jump ship just yet.

I still think Texas would be crazy not to at least take a shot at Gundy, but I don't know if he fits their "ego" profile. They have to hire someone who they think is as "big" as Texas. I think Gundy is a heck of a coach, despite some of his curious public relations moves. There's some notion they might want to look toward the NFL, but I can't fathom any current NFL coach that would be worth pursuing would break away from an NFL gig unless that gig just wasn't working out, a la Shanahan at Washington. But he's a falling star IMHO, so there's no way Texas would want him. David Shaw would be a good hire.

Right now, you're right in pointing out that there's just not a great deal of "big enough" talent out there for Texas to snag now that it appears Saban truly is off the table.

No matter who they hire, that has to be prepared to handle Texas' internal athletic politics. Don't think that aspect gets nearly enough play, as I think that's a huge internal obstacle to most any coach being successful.

Jersey Boss
12-14-2013, 10:49 AM

While I could be mistaken, I believe reaffirmed President Powers is a Brown supporter.

bluedogok
12-14-2013, 10:53 AM
While I could be mistaken, I believe reaffirmed President Powers is a Brown supporter.
Yes he is along with the two largest donors who have buildings and schools named after them on campus and one is Mack's attorney.

Garin
12-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Well I got that one wrong! But today is a new day full of adventures and life goes on.

OKCisOK4me
12-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Well I got that one wrong! But today is a new day full of adventures and life goes on.

You didn't get that one wrong BUT your "source" sure did, lol...