View Full Version : OU's Joe Castiglione honored as 2013 recipient of John L. Toner Award

ou48A
12-10-2013, 01:53 PM
http://newsok.com/joe-castiglione-ho...rticle/3838961

NORMAN — Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione was honored Thursday as the 2013 John L. Toner Award recipient.
The Toner Award is presented annually by the National Football Foundation to the athletic director who has “demonstrated superior administrative abilities and shown outstanding dedication to college athletics and particularly college football,” according to an OU news release.

“Since Joe’s hire 15 years ago, Oklahoma has dominated the football and athletics landscape with the Sooners experiencing extraordinary success as a perennial national power,” NFF President and CEO Steve Hatchell said in the release. “The Sooners have a rich football history, and the success of the team would not be possible without Joe’s support and leadership. His accomplishments place him the vanguard of his profession and truly worthy of this prestigious honor.”

Castiglione arrived at Oklahoma in April 1998, and hired current Sooners coach Bob Stoops eight months later. Stoops has led the Sooners to four BCS national title games, eight Big 12 titles and the 2000 national championship.
OU athletic programs have won seven national championships during Castiglione’s tenure.
Before joining OU, Castiglione spent 17 years at the University of Missouri, and the last five as athletic director. He is a 1979 graduate of the University of Maryland, and received his master’s degree from OU in 2007.

ou48A
12-10-2013, 02:08 PM
It would never happen but I sometimes get the feeling that Joe C would be a good replacement for Boren whenever Boren retirees

MsProudSooner
12-12-2013, 11:00 AM
It would never happen but I sometimes get the feeling that Joe C would be a good replacement for Boren whenever Boren retirees

Does Joe have his PhD?

ou48A
12-12-2013, 11:52 AM
Does Joe have his PhD?No I don't think so....Pretty sure he just has a masters....
But he is very smart with common sense which in its own way can trump any amount of education.... But I wasn't being too serious about him becoming OU's president.

IMHO we have been damn lucky to have Joe C for as long as he has been at OU.
Considering where we were when he arrived and where OU is now its like a miracle has occurred. Of course he did have help, but this help has literally come from thousands of OU people and not just a hand full of people like you often see at other university’s...this makes future support more sustainable.

Jersey Boss
12-12-2013, 01:00 PM
Does Joe have his PhD?

FWIW, Burns Hargis does not have a PhD.