View Full Version : Urban infill utilities cost

LandRunOkie
12-09-2013, 09:33 PM
Looking at possibly building a house myself. Would anyone know what a new water main, sewage pipe, gas pipe, and electrical costs to run from the street to the house? Also would like to know if this is something where you have to pay for quality for can I DIY?

kevinpate
12-10-2013, 04:05 AM
Maybe sit down over a coffee with someone like the U-Build it folks?
UBuildIt | Offices | Oklahoma City - Edmond | OK | Build Your Own Home or Remodel (http://www.ubuildit.com/offices/oklahoma/oklahomacity-edmond/)

Bellaboo
12-10-2013, 06:56 AM
Looking at possibly building a house myself. Would anyone know what a new water main, sewage pipe, gas pipe, and electrical costs to run from the street to the house? Also would like to know if this is something where you have to pay for quality for can I DIY?

I know that these utilities have to be done (connected) by someone who is licensed. Plumbing, electrical, etc.......then they have to have the city do an inspection.

LandRunOkie
12-10-2013, 11:14 AM
Well after some research, ONG hooks new homes up for free if they don't have to extend the main. I would assume electrical is the same situation. Plumbing for a crawlspace foundation house can be done for around $3000.

LandRunOkie
12-11-2013, 02:29 PM
How much should a city lot in an older part of town cost and where can you find them? A lot of people are asking 10 to 20k for lots in sketchy parts of town. Are these market prices or just speculators?

LakeEffect
12-11-2013, 02:54 PM
How much should a city lot in an older part of town cost and where can you find them? A lot of people are asking 10 to 20k for lots in sketchy parts of town. Are these market prices or just speculators?

Well, I've heard that, most recently, lots in the Cottage District/SoSA area are going upwards of $125,000. 10 - 20k for a sketchier part of town isn't out of line.

easternobserver
12-11-2013, 06:21 PM
Well, I've heard that, most recently, lots in the Cottage District/SoSA area are going upwards of $125,000. 10 - 20k for a sketchier part of town isn't out of line.

Contact the city. Many cities would be very willing to help someone looking to turn a vacant lot into a new hone. Waived permit fees, help with extending water/sewer, even rebates on sales tax on building materials have all been available in various places at various times. Also, cities tend to accumulate unwanted lots...make the case that it would save them from mowing and you might be surprised at the offer you may get!

LakeEffect
12-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Contact the city. Many cities would be very willing to help someone looking to turn a vacant lot into a new hone. Waived permit fees, help with extending water/sewer, even rebates on sales tax on building materials have all been available in various places at various times. Also, cities tend to accumulate unwanted lots...make the case that it would save them from mowing and you might be surprised at the offer you may get!

Not available in OKC at this time. (Unless you meant, lobby the city to start a program like this)

easternobserver
12-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Smaller cities tend to have more flexibility and often will look at things on a case by case basis without having to create a big deal program.

LandRunOkie
12-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Hmmm its not looking too promising. Much cheaper land in the outlying towns. People can PM if they'd want to sell a lot in the city.

Mel
12-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Come to the sprawl side. (evil cackle follows.)

blangtang
12-12-2013, 11:40 PM

Where are you looking?

Older part of town and sketchy parts is a little bit vague.

I've seen a small marginal corner lot down near the Plaza district go for 3K recently.

I've seen 50' x 140' lots in the near area of NW 23rd and Classen recently sell for 15K to 25K - and these are being gobbled up by infill builders who are selling 1500-2000 sf homes for around 150K to low 200k's. There's a single lot for sale over by that Classen School on 17th and Classen, although it may be zoned for multifamily, i don't know...

LandRunOkie
12-13-2013, 08:56 AM
I don't think anyone would pay 200k for this house as it is my first and likely to be a meager effort, Habitat for Humanity style. Just want to build for the experience really, as long as I can recover my expenses if I needed to sell, it doesn't really matter where it is. Thanks for the update, I haven't been out as much with the weather.