View Full Version : Tulsa dance troop mistaken for human traffickers?

BBatesokc
12-09-2013, 03:20 PM
I think this is some fallout from human trafficking hysteria…… (or at the very least racial profiling)

Mother's outrage after cops put white daughter, 13, in protective custody after seeing her with African-American dance instructors who were her legal guardians on outing (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2517281/Houston-police-white-girl-Landry-Thompson-African-American-legal-guardians.html)

Many will give the cops a pass and instead question the parents decision to allow their daughter to travel with two adult men - I can see that argument - but that fact does not negate the deplorable actions by police IMO.

kelroy55
12-10-2013, 09:10 AM
I'll probably stay on the better safe than sorry side of this issue. If she really was part of human trafficking and the police did nothing it would have been worse. I defiently think some racial profiling went on here but like I said a 13 y/o girl with two grown men is something to investigate. I wonder if the adults had a noterized statement from the parents saying she was with them with the parents permission?

Head
12-10-2013, 09:25 AM
The Houston police could have verified the girl's (and men's) status with some inter-agency phone calls. It would have taken a few minutes, but how long does it take to process a kid into protective services? Houston calls Tulsa, Tulsa sends a cruiser to visit with the mom, Tulsa calls Houston, case closed. They're supposed to be "protecting", never mind, "serving" the innocent, not locking people up and THEN determining their innocence.
Just my thoughts.

BBatesokc
12-10-2013, 09:54 AM
I'll probably stay on the better safe than sorry side of this issue. If she really was part of human trafficking and the police did nothing it would have been worse. I defiently think some racial profiling went on here but like I said a 13 y/o girl with two grown men is something to investigate. I wonder if the adults had a noterized statement from the parents saying she was with them with the parents permission?

The 'better safe than sorry' mentality has taken more freedoms from the public than anything else.

Not only did the chaperones have a notarized letter from the parents, but also her birth certificate, health insurance card, and a list of emergency contact numbers.

The parents could not have done anything more and they were not breaking any laws. The parents did however, send copies of their driver's licenses to police for proof they were who they said they were.

I have zero issue with them being profiled. My problem is with the total disregard to facts to the contrary of their assumptions.

Are we now saying we give a green light to law enforcement criminalizing perfectly legal actions?

If she really was part of human trafficking and the police did nothing it would have been worse.

There was no legitimate reason for the officers to 'do anything.' Also, we have plenty of examples of police coming into contact with victims of pimps/human traffickers and doing nothing - only later for the victim to be identified and it certainly wasn't 'worse' for law enforcement.

Of Sound Mind
12-10-2013, 09:58 AM
To answer your question... from that same article...

Thompson's parents say they understand why their daughter and her guardians were questioned, because they made an unlikely trio to be out so late at night.
However, aware of this fact they took significant precautions and packed a range of documents to prove all was above board.
The guardians had a letter signed by Thompson's parents, her insurance card, her original birth certificate and a sheet with numerous contact numbers on it.
The Thompson's then scanned their drivers' licenses and sent them to the police during the incident, but were still not immediately believed.

Whether it was because they were overzealous or just plain lazy, these officers did not reasonably fulfill their duties. Mere suspicion isn't (or shouldn't be) all that's required to make an arrest. A little investigation, including what has been previously suggested, would/should have resolved this issue reasonably and without unnecessarily infringing on the civil liberties of these individuals.

“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.” ― Benjamin Franklin