View Full Version : Free College

Garin
12-09-2013, 09:30 AM
I recently attended a meeting and the guest speaker was the President of OCCC Paul Sechrist. He spoke of a program offered by his school for OKC public and Western Heights graduates. I had never heard of this nor anyone else at the luncheon. The numbers were very low of those that actually took advantage of what seems to be a great opportunity for the less fortunate. I went to their website and the program is there we asked lots of questions and the only requirement to take part is you have to graduate with a diploma from high school.

The OKC-GO program is designed to remove some of the financial barriers that might limit a student’s ability to succeed in college. The program is exclusive to OCCC and services graduates from Oklahoma City and Western Heights public high schools. Eligible students can attend OCCC tuition free for up to 3 years or 61 college credit hours. Additionally, students will have access to learning labs, personal mentoring, and leadership building opportunities. - See more at: OKC-G0 (http://www.occc.edu/OKC-GO/#sthash.sRSlWp2P.dpuf)

shawnw
12-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Yep, that's how my daughter, who is a senior taking concurrent college courses (provided by OCCC) at Classen SAS is getting those 3 courses for free (OCCC teacher goes to Classen to teach), and they told her she could continue after graduating for free. Surprisingly (to me, because we had other plans for her), she wants to continue at OCCC for her generals while she figures out what she wants to do in life.

Rose State has a similar offering for Mid-Del students from what I've heard.

Wambo36
12-09-2013, 09:53 AM
Rose State has a similar offering for Mid-Del students from what I've heard. They do have this and although my two oldest didn't take advantage of it, several of their friends did.