View Full Version : Hail Satan

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Garin
12-07-2013, 12:08 PM
OK law forces state to accept satanic monument next to 10 commandments (http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/12/06/oklahoma-satanic-temple-piece/)

hoya
12-07-2013, 12:19 PM
I like the Lost Ogle's idea of having Han Solo frozen in carbonite.

Chadanth
12-07-2013, 12:20 PM
If you want your sky-daddy memorialized on public property, everyone else should have the same opportunity.

CaptDave
12-07-2013, 12:25 PM
People were warned this would be the likely outcome..... looks like OK will be defending yet another unconstitutional action in the future when they refuse this request.

Bunty
12-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Legislators ought to do the right thing to head off an expensive lawsuit by donating The Ten Commandments monument to a church, since there is quite a shortage of churches who have a monument on display like that outside their entrances.

Dustin
12-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Reddit is going to have a field day with this!

Garin
12-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Legislators ought to do the right thing to head off an expensive lawsuit by donating The Ten Commandments monument to a church, since there is quite a shortage of churches who have a monument on display like that outside their entrances.

It would be a nice touch for the life church campus.

Anonymous.
12-07-2013, 01:47 PM
When will OK run out of bullets to shoot themselves in the foot with?

venture
12-07-2013, 01:51 PM
When will OK run out of bullets to shoot themselves in the foot with?

30 or 40 years.

MadMonk
12-07-2013, 03:42 PM
When do the Pastafarians get their representation?

Jeepnokc
12-07-2013, 03:42 PM
No...thanks to term limits, we get a new crop of idiots with fresh bullets every 12 years.

kevinpate
12-07-2013, 03:52 PM
When do the Pastafarians get their representation?

Not sure. I have heard their wait has been very draining.

ThomPaine
12-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Not sure. I have heard their wait has been very draining.

Kinda straining for a pun there, aren't ya? :D

onthestrip
12-08-2013, 12:48 PM
I love fighting absurdity with absurdity.

Kiind of like when Rep. Constance Johnson, in the midst of the Oklahoma personhood battle a couple year ago, she tried to file an amendment to ban masturbating. Its always a good trick to point out the ridiculousness of certain things. And placing a 10 commandments statue on capitol grounds was one of those things.

mugofbeer
12-08-2013, 04:23 PM
Maybe they could encourage monuments of any religious organization, gather some additional information for displays and open a Religion Hall of Fame! They could get $40-50 million from the Fed Govt and build it near Lincoln Park. Then OKC could boast of the Cowboy HOF, The American Indian museum and now the Museum of all Faiths! I see major tourist dollars!

ThomPaine
12-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Maybe they could encourage monuments of any religious organization, gather some additional information for displays and open a Religion Hall of Fame! They could get $40-50 million from the Fed Govt and build it near Lincoln Park. Then OKC could boast of the Cowboy HOF, The American Indian museum and now the Museum of all Faiths! I see major tourist dollars!

This is actually a great idea! They've already got the building, the Native American cultural center will never be finished for the intended purpose.

I think there's plenty of land there, they could reenact scenes from the Crusades or the Inquisition (Mel Brooks anyone?). For equal time, Romans could feed Christians to lions, the Moors could show up, and the Egyptians could enslave a bunch of Hebrews. We could also show some Catholic missionaries "educating" American Indians, and we could have a daily Buddhist monk burning.

This could really be a cash cow...

kevinpate
12-08-2013, 05:11 PM
If an All Faiths museum has a cafeteria, and Wednesday is spaghetti day, is that the same as partaking in communion for Pastafarians.

Mel
12-08-2013, 06:05 PM
if they build a statue for satan they need to make it the Southpark version.

venture
12-08-2013, 06:14 PM
if they build a statue for satan they need to make it the Southpark version.

That would be hilarious.

http://www.weirdspace.dk/SouthPark/Graphics/Satan.gif

Mel
12-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Perfect.

mugofbeer
12-08-2013, 08:33 PM
I'm seeing a Phase II amusement park right on I-35!

bchris02
12-08-2013, 08:40 PM
OK law forces state to accept satanic monument next to 10 commandments (http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/12/06/oklahoma-satanic-temple-piece/)

Is this serious? This is exactly why separation of church and state is a good thing and why the government cannot endorse a particular religion, even one that a majority of its citizens agree with like Christianity. While only a minority would probably actually be offended by the Ten Commandments, under the First Amendments all religions must have equal opportunity for a monument or none at all if its on a government-owned property. A vast majority will be offended by a satanic monument. I agree with the poster above that the state should donate the Ten Commandments monument to a church.

Midtowner
12-08-2013, 08:50 PM

That would also be unconstitutional.

RadicalModerate
12-08-2013, 09:18 PM
I love fighting absurdity with absurdity.

Kiind of like when Rep. Constance Johnson, in the midst of the Oklahoma personhood battle a couple year ago, she tried to file an amendment to ban masturbating. Its always a good trick to point out the ridiculousness of certain things. And placing a 10 commandments statue on capitol grounds was one of those things.

I do too.
I guess the problem and/or issue arises around the definition of "absurdity" and the establishmentalexperientialparadigms defining what it* is.

*absurdity

RadicalModerate
12-08-2013, 09:21 PM
If an All Faiths museum has a cafeteria, and Wednesday is spaghetti day, is that the same as partaking in communion for Pastafarians.

If they don't serve Lutefisk once a year, for "The HollyDaze" there are probably some Reform Lutrins who wouldn't be offended.

Bunty
12-08-2013, 09:40 PM
That would also be unconstitutional.

Right. I should not have implied the process could be done through a state legislative act. If the monument must be ordered off capitol grounds, hopefully it will be all Rep. Mike Ritze's problem as to what to do with it, since he paid for much, if not all of it. I hope Ritze has the money to feel like paying for legal fees without trying to pass it on to taxpayers.

jerrywall
12-08-2013, 09:49 PM
My only real problem is the seeming ability to designate a location. What if someone wanted to then donate another monument and specify it be placed in front of the satanism monument? Specific placement shouldn't be mandated. Have the alternative monument on the grounds... fine... but to intentionally place it where it is intended to offend, not so much. Intent should have some place in court. Otherwise, why not have robots as judges? Why use humans at all? (This is also the same reason I have a problem with mandatory minimum sentences.)

Bunty
12-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Right. I should not have implied the process could be done through a state legislative act. If the monument must be ordered off capitol grounds, hopefully it will be all Rep. Mike Ritze's problem as to what to do with it, since he paid for much, if not all of it. I hope Ritze has the money to feel like paying for legal fees without trying to pass it on to taxpayers.

Rep. Ritze should mount his monument in his front yard close to his front door, so he can be daily reminded that God doesn't expect him as a politician to lie, cheat on his spouse, or do a bunch of other wrong stuff.

Just the facts
12-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Satan is a biblical character. I have no problem with a statue of him next to the 10 Commandments. The people who oppose the 10 Commandments but approve of Satan have some explaining to do to justify their position.

MadMonk
12-09-2013, 08:47 AM
Someone needs to track down the lost 5 commandments and put them in place as well.
4TAtRCJIqnk

onthestrip
12-10-2013, 07:04 AM
The legislature might double down on their unconstitutional ways by denying the satan groups effort to place a monument. You let one then you should have to let all. Can't wait to see how many taxpayer dollars this legal battle will cost.

Satanist monument? Probably not ? - Associated Press - POLITICO.com (http://t.co/UWERynEB2K)

CaptDave
12-10-2013, 09:42 AM
This might get ugly....and probably will. If Shannon gets his chapel in the Capitol, will a prayer niche for Muslims also be approved if private funds were provided to construct one?

ThomPaine
12-10-2013, 09:54 AM
The legislature might double down on their unconstitutional ways by denying the satan groups effort to place a monument. You let one then you should have to let all. Can't wait to see how many taxpayer dollars this legal battle will cost.

Satanist monument? Probably not ? - Associated Press - POLITICO.com (http://t.co/UWERynEB2K)

Comments pretty interesting. I like the one about Satan being responsible for all human knowledge. Interesting.

onthestrip
12-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Just saw on twitter from a local PR guy who got a press release from a Hindu group that wants to put a statue up of their god/lord. So we might have a real monument park at the capitol. I love it. If you take one you have to take them all. Still waiting for someone to request to erect a flying spaghetti monster statue.

Garin
12-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Satan is a biblical character. I have no problem with a statue of him next to the 10 Commandments. The people who oppose the 10 Commandments but approve of Satan have some explaining to do to justify their position.

No one is going touch this.

ThomPaine
12-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Just saw on twitter from a local PR guy who got a press release from a Hindu group that wants to put a statue up of their god/lord. So we might have a real monument park at the capitol. I love it. If you take one you have to take them all. Still waiting for someone to request to erect a flying spaghetti monster statue.

Waaaaaaay cooler than the Ten Commandments monument!

Dustin
12-10-2013, 06:51 PM
This would be cool IMO. It could become a tourist spot.

Mel
12-10-2013, 07:17 PM
I like the way Hindu Gods look. That's where Cameron got his inspiration for the color of the Natives in Avatar. Muslim's can't really put a statue up because of that image copyright thingy they're always going on about. Instead of the Ten Commandants let's put a a statue of "Buddy Christ" from Dogma. Keep it a happy place.

hoya
12-10-2013, 09:37 PM
What about that guy who left the Cthulhu monument in the Paseo? Can we get him to do one?

RadicalModerate
12-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Ain't Dogma a Bitch?
http://www.crystalinks.com/romulusremus.jpg

Fantastic
12-11-2013, 02:26 AM
Every time I move (which has been quite frequently for various reasons over the years) I pack my very important religious texts together (the Satanic Bible, Holy Bible, Book Of Morman and Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy) to test whether or not they will start a fire by being combined... hasn't happened yet... I say build the monument

Fantastic
12-11-2013, 02:28 AM
And yes... I am serious

rezman
12-11-2013, 09:06 AM
This is actually a great idea! They've already got the building, the Native American cultural center will never be finished for the intended purpose.

I think there's plenty of land there, they could reenact scenes from the Crusades or the Inquisition (Mel Brooks anyone?). For equal time, Romans could feed Christians to lions, the Moors could show up, and the Egyptians could enslave a bunch of Hebrews. We could also show some Catholic missionaries "educating" American Indians, and we could have a daily Buddhist monk burning.

This could really be a cash cow...

And, it could be a great location for a Food Truck Court.

CaptDave
12-11-2013, 09:07 AM
This is getting fun.....

Hindu group proposes monument at Oklahoma State Capitol - Tulsa World: Government (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/government/hindu-group-proposes-monument-at-oklahoma-state-capitol/article_6b0e9432-4852-5e04-bfeb-fd6e054a1569.html)

kelroy55
12-11-2013, 10:10 AM
http://static.freepik.com/free-photo/the-buddha-of-happiness_21111784.jpg

ThomPaine
12-11-2013, 01:18 PM
http://static.freepik.com/free-photo/the-buddha-of-happiness_21111784.jpg

Come on, you know you want to rub his belly...

ThomPaine
12-11-2013, 01:22 PM

CaptDave
12-11-2013, 01:26 PM
I am waiting for someone to propose a monument to the Force.

We will need a Festivus pole too. All that darn tinsel on those trees is distracting.

We could combine feats of strength with light saber duels for an epic holiday.

kelroy55
12-11-2013, 02:04 PM
Come on, you know you want to rub his belly...

I just have to rub my own lol

trousers
12-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Florida gets a Festivus pole. Let's hope Oklahoma experiences a Festivus miracle too!
Florida Man Airs Grievances With Festivus Pole In Capitol : NPR (http://www.npr.org/2013/12/11/250200281/florida-man-airs-grievances-with-festivus-pole-in-capitol)

CaptDave
12-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Florida gets a Festivus pole. Let's hope Oklahoma experiences a Festivus miracle too!
Florida Man Airs Grievances With Festivus Pole In Capitol : NPR (http://www.npr.org/2013/12/11/250200281/florida-man-airs-grievances-with-festivus-pole-in-capitol)

Probably should have started the Airing of Grievances already.....

Bunty
12-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Ain't Dogma a Bitch?

What a crude, grossly disgusting statue to put before the people. The urchins don't even have their willies covered up.

ThomPaine
12-11-2013, 08:20 PM
May not be a god or goddess, but interesting nonetheless...

trousers
12-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Probably should have started the Airing of Grievances already.....

So if we have a statewide Festivus celebration who leads the Feats of Strength, would that be the Governor?

Just the facts
12-12-2013, 12:54 PM
Just curious, is the Indian Museum, if ever finished, going to mention any of the Indian gods or depict any rituals? They don't do any rain dances at any local, state, or federal funded events or on government property do they? What is that Indian on the license plate doing?

ThomPaine
12-12-2013, 02:43 PM
Just curious, is the Indian Museum, if ever finished, going to mention any of the Indian gods or depict any rituals? They don't do any rain dances at any local, state, or federal funded events or on government property do they? What is that Indian on the license plate doing?

Shooting an arrow.

Just the facts
12-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Shooting an arrow.

Just an arrow, or a Sacred Rain Arrow?

http://www.travelok.com/media_room/release/oklahoma-wins-best-license-plate-award

JIMBO
12-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Ain't Dogma a Bitch?
Romulus and Remus founders of ROME raised by a wolf.

ThomPaine
12-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Just an arrow, or a Sacred Rain Arrow?

Oklahoma Wins Best License Plate Award | TravelOK.com - Oklahoma's Official Travel & Tourism Site (http://www.travelok.com/media_room/release/oklahoma-wins-best-license-plate-award)

Well, there you go...

kevinpate
12-12-2013, 03:44 PM
Wait. You mean that isn't Chamberus, the sacred dog eat dog god of business, and its minions enjoying the sweet taste of corpus welfarus?

Guess I heard it wrong. Off to update my handy dandy deity guide.