View Full Version : Air leak advice from Window experts

Jon27
12-06-2013, 12:21 PM
I had a house built in 2012. We had Andersen Silverline Low E double paned windows installed by Public Supply (who is now out of business.) I know the builder had expandable foam put around all of the window frames. With this winter storm, I have noticed air leaks on all of them. The fixed windows leak at each of the corners. I put a small piece of weather stripping on the corner, and it made the air stop. The windows that open leak in the corners up the track where the moveable, and fixed window meet. I think it's called a sash? It's where the locks are. I checked all of them to make sure the latches that allow you to tilt the window in were fully engaged. It seems like they were either not installed properly, or something else is wrong? I'd imagine this would be covered under my warranty as this would have to do with the window installation that would have gone wrong in the first year. The builder still has not fixed everything on my list which is another issue (after almost 2 years), and before I contact him about this, I was wanting to see what the actual problem is. Any advice would be helpful, thanks!

Garin
12-06-2013, 02:56 PM
Just because public went out of business doesn't mean that Silverline will not stand behind the product and warranty your windows. I suggest calling or emailing them and they will send out a factory service rep to fix your problem.it may take a little longer since your dealing with the factory but they will take care of it.

Jon27
12-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Just because public went out of business doesn't mean that Silverline will not stand behind the product and warranty your windows. I suggest calling or emailing them and they will send out a factory service rep to fix your problem.it may take a little longer since your dealing with the factory but they will take care of it.

Thanks Garin, I went to their website and emailed them. Do you have any idea what would be causing the issue? I was thinking they weren't installed right, but it sounds like you are saying the windows might be bad. I know very little about windows, but it seems like they are either warped, or there is some internal weatherstripping issue.

RadicalModerate
12-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Silverline used to be a company owned by Andersen Corporation. Now it has been completely integrated into Andersen. I've installed a few American Craftsman windows (the Silverline/Andersen brand) and haven't had any problems with them. The windows you are talking about sound like what used to be the 8500 or 9500 Series but are now referred to by a different designation. One of the nice things about them is the fact that they have an interlock built in at the meeting rail where the two sash(es) come together. This interlock doesn't go all the way across, but stops just short of each side. Apparently there is some sort of factory weatherstripping issue here but it is impossible to know from just a written description. I will say that Andersen Corporation has an excellent field rep in this area and hopefully he will come by and do whatever it is that needs to be done.

Garin
12-06-2013, 05:21 PM
They could be set out of square which could cause the leaks. Hard to tell for without seeing in person. But as rm said they should take care of you.

Jon27
12-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks to both of you! I was curious, and looked a little closer this afternoon. The fixed windows only leak in the bottom corners, none of the top corners leak. The single hung windows leak where RadicalModerate is describing. It seems to me like there is an issue at the bottom of each window that is causing air to blow in. That would explain why it's running up the track. Again though, it's just a guess because I know nothing about window installation. They are the 2900 series with Low E 3 glass if that helps.

RadicalModerate, I had to laugh when I saw your post. It's not a poem! LOL!!!

RadicalModerate
12-06-2013, 07:31 PM
RadicalModerate, I had to laugh when I saw your post. It's not a poem! LOL!!!

It's ALL
poetry
If one thinks deeply
enough
About Issues
and
Air Leaks
around and/or involving
Windows
ain't
It?

=)

BlackmoreRulz
12-06-2013, 07:42 PM
It's ALL
poetry
If one thinks deeply
enough
About Issues
and
Air Leaks
around and/or involving
Windows
ain't
It?

=)

I'm really disappointed that RadMod missed this opportunity...
http://indianapublicmedia.org/about/files/2010/08/red_green.jpg

RadicalModerate
12-06-2013, 08:06 PM
The answer is easy: Left or Right? =)
(a.k.a. the Borland gambit)
http://www.dvdizzy.com/images/h-k/his3-19.jpg

For real, SuperChris: The Andersen Corporation wants to do the correct thing.

Jon27
12-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Thanks again for the advice! I emailed them, but I'll also call a guy that my family has used for years for windows and doors. See if he knows the Andersen rep by chance. Here's a piece of advice. If you build a house, insist on timelines for warranty work to be completed rather than just the builder saying that there is coverage for things that happen within the first year. Luckily, I knew who all of the subs were so I've been able to contact them directly. I was working with Public Supply until they went out of business, but I don't think they did the best work anyways.

RadicalModerate
12-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Public Supply was, at one time, a fine, old, local, Oklahoma company, that produced a decent, new construction, aluminum window (albeit, without even a hint of a thermal break in the frame). I am a bit surprised that they, at some point, decided to start doing "company installs" especially of products that they, themselves, didn't manufacture. I am doubly surprised that your "builder" didn't have the framing and cornice crew install the windows that the builder selected. I personally, installed a lot of "Diamond" windows from Public Supply as a framer/cornice carpenter, back in the day. I had no idea that Public Supply had anything to do with Silverline vinyl windows at all.

Thanks for jogging my memory . . .
I'm still confident that Andersen Corporation will stand by their product.
(if it is faulty installation on the other hand . . .)

Garin
12-07-2013, 07:51 AM
They stopped making vinyl windows around 2007 and started distributing silverline. They were still making the aluminum stuff up until they closed their doors last October. Sounds like on a fixed window they only way it could leak air is if the glass is loose which means the glass will need to be removed from its frame and re glazed.