View Full Version : Roadside Assistance - worth every penny?

BBatesokc
12-06-2013, 06:17 AM
Wondering your thoughts and options about roadside assistance.

In the past I've always carried roadside assistance through my car insurance provider (previously Geico & now Liberty Mutual), and via my cell phone provider, Sprint.

We drive to go snow skiing over the winter and my work often has me driving all over the state - plus my wife often drives to her relatives who live in more rural areas - so, I've always liked the piece of mind of coverage.

With the bad winter weather I called to make sure my coverages were up-to-date. Come to find out Sprint dropped roadside assistance awhile back, but I was still covered through Liberty Mutual for only $9/yr.

I went ahead and added coverage through AAA at considerably more cost (about $170/yr). Mainly because of the added coverage benefits and because it covers the person regardless of whose car you are in.

I actually had a need yesterday when one of my cars would not start. I opted to use my Liberty Mutual coverage and within 20-minutes Roadside Rescue was at my door and jumping my car.

I've used the coverage in the past for tire changes, jumps and a lockout. So I definitely think the low cost service through car insurance or cell providers is worth it.

Any AAA members here, and if so, what are your thoughts - is it worth it?

I know Allstate offers a popular roadside assistance plan too.

Personally, if nothing else, I think most everyone would be wise to purchase a low cost plan through their cell phone or car insurance provider ($20 or considerably less a year).

kevinpate
12-06-2013, 06:30 AM
Carry it via the cell plan and auto plan. Cheap insurance. For a long time the auto plan was a reimbursement plan. It now operates same as the cell plan.

on edit: Once I reach a point that I always, always carry my cell, I'll probably drop the auto policy based RA coverage as redundant.

foodiefan
12-06-2013, 07:02 AM
Have carried AAA only for at least 20 years. . .price is considerably more but it covers more. . .i.e. what ever car I'm in. Gave it to the two "baby boys" until they were out and on their own. Haven't had to use it too often, but when I needed it, it was worth twice the price!!

bradh
12-06-2013, 07:11 AM
we have the coverage through Liberty Mutual as well, for $9 per year, we've had to use it twice in 3 years, but it's still paid for itself.

okseer
12-06-2013, 08:25 AM
I got AAA for my college age daughter and it has paid for itaself 10 times over. I got the 80.00 a yaer plan the gives you up to 5 twos of 100 miles a year. Last year she had the car towed 85 miles to okc, loclked her keys in the car twice and they sent someone out to unlock it and ran out of gas which they brought her gas. Great investment for 80.00. One of the times that she locked her keys in the car was at Lake of the Arbuckles at midnight. They found her and unlocked the car with in an hour.

boscorama
12-07-2013, 07:54 PM
We've had AAA for decades. We most certainly get our dollars worth every year.

ctchandler
12-07-2013, 08:33 PM
If you have a need for the other services that AAA provides, by all means join them. I have had the State Farm road service option on all of my cars since the early 70's, everywhere from $1 to I believe it's $3 now for six months. I have never had any need for their trip-tiks or vacation planning services. My mother belonged to AAA almost her whole life and the only thing she used was the emergence road service (which was already available with her auto insurance) so she wasted a lot of money. I like being able to call any wrecker service, locksmith, or whatever I need without them being a AAA provider. I have had tires changed, gasoline brought to my wife (I pay for the gas), and locksmiths here and on vacations, including while we were staying at the lodge in Yellowstone and I've never had a problem. I think at the price I pay, I have gotten a lot more than my dollars worth.
C. T.

Celebrator
12-07-2013, 08:56 PM
I have had AAA since I started driving, close to 20 years, now. I don't always use it every year, but when I need it, I feel like it pays for itself. Once, my car died in rural Alabama on the way to the FL panhandle beaches...they towed me from Opp, AL to Ft. Walton Beach at no cost because I had AAA Plus! Was REALLY glad to have it that time.

BBatesokc
12-08-2013, 05:44 AM
If you have a need for the other services that AAA provides, by all means join them. I have had the State Farm road service option on all of my cars since the early 70's, everywhere from $1 to I believe it's $3 now for six months. I have never had any need for their trip-tiks or vacation planning services. My mother belonged to AAA almost her whole life and the only thing she used was the emergence road service (which was already available with her auto insurance) so she wasted a lot of money. I like being able to call any wrecker service, locksmith, or whatever I need without them being a AAA provider. I have had tires changed, gasoline brought to my wife (I pay for the gas), and locksmiths here and on vacations, including while we were staying at the lodge in Yellowstone and I've never had a problem. I think at the price I pay, I have gotten a lot more than my dollars worth.
C. T.

This has been my dilemma in not getting AAA in the past - my auto insurance and cell phone provider seemed to cover what I needed. When I learned Sprint no longer offered the service I looked closer at my insurance provider and realized some limitations I didn't like - most obvious was that they only tow to the nearest garage (not the garage of my choice), while AAA will tow a couple hundred miles to the garage of my choice.

Obviously all providers only offer their services and make money because, in general, we don't need or use the service. But, its like insurance and I can write it off.

kevinpate
12-08-2013, 06:35 AM
Way more than once in my life if I hadn't had coverage via my auto policy or cell package, life would of gotten a tad expensive and way more inconvenient. I imagine I'll always have some form of RA coverage, either by leaving it on the auto (very cheap) or by someday relying only on the cell plan. To me it is no different than other forms of insurance, except with RA, the premiums are very, very low.

GaryOKC6
12-08-2013, 07:34 AM
I looked at just going with my auto insurance but mine does not cover as completely as AAA. I also like just calling AAA's toll free number and letting them track someone down and get them out there. When I have used AAA the response time was really fast.

bandnerd
12-08-2013, 07:47 AM
We both have AAA. My mom actually buys it for us. Mid drives all over the place for work, and I'm often transporting students for honor bands/contests/etc. I don't argue with her anymore.

I used AAA quite a bit in college when I was in a less reliable car. My sister and I used it when we ran over barbed wire on I-44 (who knows) and got a flat tire in a less-than-desirable location. It's never taken long for them to get a tow or help out to me, though it's been years since I've used it.

AAA also has special rates at some hotels, dining establishments, and retail outlets, if you ask.

MustangGT
12-08-2013, 10:53 AM
I have AAA. Each plan has its benefits and limitations. No one plan fits all. Find one that serves your unique needs and stick with it. I have found plans generally are different based upon whether you are in your "home" state or not.

ctchandler
12-08-2013, 11:05 AM
BBatesokc,
My company gives me a little more leeway, they will tow a reasonable distance to a garage/dealer of my choice, but they won't tow from Tulsa to OKC! Also, if you purchase AAA, drop the road service option from your car, it is a separate line item and what the heck, a few bucks every six months adds up.
C. T.

BBatesokc
12-08-2013, 12:58 PM
I also noticed we received a $500 medical expense coverage with our AAA plan. If we are in an auto related emergency the first $500 is covered by AAA.

kevinpate
12-08-2013, 01:35 PM
I also noticed we received a $500 medical expense coverage with our AAA plan. If we are in an auto related emergency the first $500 is covered by AAA.

Not a bad little bennie. It won't go far for an ER visit, but it beats nothing should the day arrive.

BBatesokc
12-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Not a bad little bennie. It won't go far for an ER visit, but it beats nothing should the day arrive.

Goes nicely with a $1,000 deductible, typical ambulance ride or trip to a doc in a box.

Mel
12-08-2013, 06:46 PM
I've had AAA for about 25 years. They have saved my butt more than once. I have owned some crappy cars in the past. 200 mile tow no extra charge and I like their maps. As far as rentals and rooms sometimes AARP, sometimes AAA.

Prunepicker
12-08-2013, 07:11 PM
I have roadside via my vehicle insurance. It's worth it.

TIP: Kopy and Keep all the info in your vehicle. I ran out of gas Friday
night and didn't have mine. Brrr... A guy in a Santa hat helped me out.

ctchandler
12-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Prunepicker,
You shouldn't need anything in your car. I never show them anything, they do the job, write me a bill, I pay them, and submit it to my State Farm agent and they send me a check.
C. T.

Prunepicker
12-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Prunepicker,
You shouldn't need anything in your car. I never show them anything,
they do the job, write me a bill, I pay them, and submit it to my State
Farm agent and they send me a check.
C. T.
1. I didn't have the phone number.
2. I didn't have my account number for when I reached the service.
3. If I had a copy in my car I could have used the service.

ctchandler
12-08-2013, 09:27 PM
I'm still confused, I call any service I want, pay them and send the receipt to State Farm. I don't need a phone number or account number. I think you must mean if you want the service to bill your insurance agent/company direct, is that it? I never do that. It's too easy to just pay and go, mail the information to State Farm.
C. T.
1. I didn't have the phone number.
2. I didn't have my account number for when I reached the service.
3. If I had a copy in my car I could have used the service.

Prunepicker
12-08-2013, 10:28 PM
I'm still confused, I call any service I want, pay them and send the receipt
to State Farm.
C. T.
My roadside service doesn't work that way. I have to call the hotline and
wait for assistance to arrive.

BBatesokc
12-09-2013, 04:04 AM
double post.

BBatesokc
12-09-2013, 04:06 AM

I photograph important papers like that and keep them in a password protected app in my smart phone. I do the same with receipts. Saves lots of hassle.

However, in your case above, I'd have just called information (or Googled it on my smart phone) and gotten the number to my insurance company and called them and had them transfer or give me the number to the road side assistance.

I call any service I want, pay them and send the receipt to State Farm.

Not a fan of that type of coverage. I'd rather not mess with having cash, giving out my credit card number and I haven't owned a check book in a decade. I also don't want to have to wait to be reimbursed or told I paid more than they will cover.

ctchandler
12-09-2013, 10:03 AM
PP,
Gotcha! And now you understand my confusion.
Thanks,
C. T.
My roadside service doesn't work that way. I have to call the hotline and
wait for assistance to arrive.

Prunepicker
12-09-2013, 10:08 AM
However, in your case above, I'd have just called information (or Googled
it on my smart phone) and gotten the number to my insurance company
and called them and had them transfer or give me the number to the
road side assistance.
I still would have needed my account number. :(

ctchandler
12-09-2013, 10:13 AM
BBatesokc,
Don't quote me, but I believe locally they will bill you but that doesn't help when you are out of town. I have never waited for payment and when I was working I would drop by at lunch time and they wrote me a check in a matter of a minute or two. Now, it's a matter of about three to five days using the U. S. mail service. As for the check, I do online bill paying and have since the mid 90's when Weokie was the first to offer it free, but I do keep a check book with me for emergencies. I also was never given any maximum. If there is one, I never reached it and I have used the service a lot since the late 60's. I suppose it's all in what you want/need and State Farm has satisfied my requirements for a long time. If I felt the way you do about certain items, I would sign up with AAA in a New York minute (whatever that means, I guess that's fast).
C. T.

Not a fan of that type of coverage. I'd rather not mess with having cash, giving out my credit card number and I haven't owned a check book in a decade. I also don't want to have to wait to be reimbursed or told I paid more than they will cover.

BBatesokc
12-09-2013, 11:41 AM
I still would have needed my account number. :(

Why? I never have my account number in front of me when I call. I just give them my name, DOB, address and possibly my SSN and they find my account - just like when I call Cox Cable, OGE, etc.

zookeeper
12-09-2013, 12:15 PM
The bottom line is that Roadside Assistance programs pay for themselves for a lot of people. I've had mine through my insurance company for 20 years. It's so cheap it's paid for itself many times over. Once in the middle of nowhere in west Texas.

BBatesokc
12-09-2013, 12:53 PM
The bottom line is that Roadside Assistance programs pay for themselves for a lot of people. I've had mine through my insurance company for 20 years. It's so cheap it's paid for itself many times over. Once in the middle of nowhere in west Texas.

I agree - just trying to determine if AAA considerably higher price is really worth it. We are gonna give it 1-2 years and then re-evaluate. Hard (if not impossible) to argue against the extremely low rates from insurance and cell phone providers though.

tomokc
12-09-2013, 01:00 PM
I've been happy with AAA. They replaced a dead battery in my wife's car (same price as Hibdon and it saved me the interminable wait), transported an antique car to the shop, towed a rental car out of deep gravel in another state, and got my daughter's car to the shop in her college town. They've taken very good care of us.

BBatesokc
12-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Anyone know if roadside assistance claims are a part of your C.L.U.E. report?

ctchandler
12-09-2013, 03:02 PM
BBatesokc,
I won't pretend to know about the C.L.U.E. report, but excessive calls do get the companies attention. My agent was told to "counsel" me about four tow claims in a single year. I had a tow on Thanksgiving day and of course nothing was open, so they towed me home, then on Friday I had them tow it to my garage. My agent wasn't bothered, but had to call me and talk to me about it. She did say it could impact my insurance but I don't remember in what way. Nothing ever came of it.
C. T.
Anyone know if roadside assistance claims are a part of your C.L.U.E. report?

BBatesokc
12-09-2013, 03:17 PM
BBatesokc,
I won't pretend to know about the C.L.U.E. report, but excessive calls do get the companies attention. My agent was told to "counsel" me about four tow claims in a single year. I had a tow on Thanksgiving day and of course nothing was open, so they towed me home, then on Friday I had them tow it to my garage. My agent wasn't bothered, but had to call me and talk to me about it. She did say it could impact my insurance but I don't remember in what way. Nothing ever came of it.
C. T.

I'm guessing the "She did say it could impact my insurance…." is a reference to your C.L.U.E. report. That is a report insurance companies use to help determine
what rate to charge you (think 'credit score'). I suspect any roadside assistance claims through your insurance provider's roadside assistance coverage will have a negative impact on that score. Cell phone providers and AAA would not have an impact on your C.L.U.E report as far as I know.

kevinpate
12-09-2013, 05:28 PM
BBatesokc,
... My agent was told to "counsel" me about four tow claims in a single year. I had a tow on Thanksgiving day and of course nothing was open, so they towed me home, then on Friday I had them tow it to my garage. My agent wasn't bothered, but had to call me and talk to me about it. She did say it could impact my insurance but I don't remember in what way. Nothing ever came of it.
C. T.

Have the same car insurance and was counseled once. I was an adult in my mid 20's. My agent at the time had known me for over 20 years. Was getting into places, at times a bit foolishly, and then not getting back out. The counseling went along these lines -

He: Hey, I was asked to speak to you about having several claims for wreckers this year. Try to dial it back some. Maybe let someone else drive some.
Me: Sure thing.
He: Consider yourself spoken to. Say hi to Jan and Pat.

I had the same agent until he passed too young when I was well into my 30's. Good agent and a great man. Sweet wife and daughter too.

ctchandler
12-09-2013, 05:28 PM
BBatesokc,
I agree totally but I have used them often and my rates have not gone up. I suppose if I had used them for four tows the next year, maybe it would have. I do remember that my agent told me that the average person doesn't have four tows in a lifetime (as far as insurance claims). The counseling had no effect on my use of the road service option. I don't know how AAA could have anything to do with your "C. L. U. E.".
C. T.

ctchandler
12-09-2013, 05:33 PM
Kevin,
That's pretty much the way my agent handled it. Mine retired a year or two ago and I hated to lose him. I'm not unhappy with my new agent but when you have an agent for almost 40 years, you kind of get comfortable with him/her.
C. T.

kevinpate
12-09-2013, 06:14 PM
Yes, ya do indeed. Like I said Tony was there long long before I could drive, as my parents' agent, and he was mine until he passed. At that time, I switched to an agent in Norman. He passed after a few years. I told number 3 he was expected to stick around for a long time. So far, so good.