View Full Version : Sen. Inhofe attempts to end all Southwest Airlines service from Dallas!

HKG_Flyer1
07-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Earlier this week, Sen. Inhofe, working on behalf of American Airlines, introduced a crazy bill to close Dallas Love Field, the Southwest Airlines HQ. If he is successful, the following things would happen:
1) All Southwest Airlines service between OKC, Tulsa and Dallas would end, giving American Airlines a virtual monopoly.
2) Southwest Airlines might end up relocating its Dallas headquarters,
3) Southwest Airlines might end up exiting Will Rogers and Tulsa International Airport completely, since remaining passenger volumes would be significantly reduced,
4) Reduced flight schedules into Will Rogers might make the Southwest Airlines reservation center uneconomic.

In retaliation for Sen. Inhofe's actions, a Dallas-area Congressman, Jeb Hensarling has already introduced a bill which would force the closure of Tulsa International Airport.

This thing is going to get very ugly, with extremely serious potential impacts on Oklahoma's economy, yet the Oklahoma media seems to be asleep at the switch.

mranderson
07-22-2005, 09:39 AM
I posted this yesterday, however, I will reply to this one also.

I want that stupid Wright amendment (really should be called the wrong amendment) repealed. It was nothing but a scam. If Dallas can get one like that enforced, then why not ALL major airports.

Would I be in favor of closing Love Field? No. Not for the reason Inhoff proposes. All it will do is force those same flights to DFW and shift the hub there. It will not effect Oklahoma at all. Just enhance DFW's presence in the airline industry.

Of course, with the hub at DFW, it could force the airlines looking for hubs to look at Oklahoma City.

hipsterdoofus
07-22-2005, 09:51 AM
I don't know alot about whats going on, but definately would not mind it if SouthWest moved to okc. Obviously, even though OKC is doing major renovations, I don't know that it has the facilities to be a hub, but it definately makes sense to be one with the central location.

mranderson
07-22-2005, 10:10 AM
I don't know alot about whats going on, but definately would not mind it if SouthWest moved to okc. Obviously, even though OKC is doing major renovations, I don't know that it has the facilities to be a hub, but it definately makes sense to be one with the central location.

We have been discussing a potential hub for Oklahoma City for a long time. Seriously since January when I learned America West was considering Oklahoma City as a hub city.

As Will Rogers is now, you are correct. We only have 17 gates, which is too small for our level of service and size as it is. We need a minumum of the 25 gates we were promised (see my Will Rogers video in the photo gallery). To be a hub, we will need a second terminal with at least 30 gates plus maintance hangers. They should be in the planning stages now, for construction as soon as a hub contract is signed.

BDP
07-22-2005, 10:35 AM
I don't know alot about whats going on, but definately would not mind it if SouthWest moved to okc.

Well, with Inhofe's brilliant plan, you can kiss that possibility good-bye. No way is a company going to be run out of town only to relocate in the state of the very senator who ran them out. I see no way of this bill passing and it is purely a political play to kiss ass to American, meanwhile it will piss off Southwest. It's kindergarten politics done by the master.

Pete
07-22-2005, 10:41 AM
Purely a political ploy to endear himself to his fellow Tulsans.

I'm sure it will go nowhere but he can say "look what I tried to do fro my constituants".

escan
07-22-2005, 10:55 AM
Agreed. It's never going to happen. All Inhoff is doing is making SW mad. They'll not relocate here (even with all of my wishfull thinking). Also, SW has said they will NOT relocate to DFW, nor does DFW have the room for them right now. That being said, if the Wright Amendment is repealed it WILL "affect" Oklahomans who fly to Texas frequently for business. The thought frightens me....Southwest is a very large part of Oklahoma air service. At least we can ease our minds that SW is suggesting discontinuing service to Tulsa, not OKC. (Thanks Inhoff)

swake
07-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Here, try a more thoughtful, informed and reality based discussion on this topic. It's a lot more complicated issue than what you all are talking about here, but then, Tulsa NEVER gets bashed here does it?

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2155

BDP
07-22-2005, 12:45 PM
Tulsa NEVER gets bashed here does it?

What? You are the most sensitive person on this board. Who's bashing Tulsa? Tulsa is a nice place. People in OKC don't bash it. In fact it, we nominated it for a great weekend getaway in our weekly paper. So, seriously, relax, get over it and move on. People here are smart enough to separate Inhofe's bizarre corporate politics from Tulsa. They did it on the thread you pointed us to and people are doing it here. You are the only one I see who consistently goes out of their way to insert irrelevant and backhanded posts on these threads always playing the victimized Tulsan. It gets old... fast.

escan
07-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Agreed. Love a weekend getaway to Tulsa. It's a great city; very pretty, with great shopping, restaurants and historical areas. It was only the aforementioned "bizarre corporate politics" that draws my wrath.

venture
07-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Earlier this week, Sen. Inhofe, working on behalf of American Airlines, introduced a crazy bill to close Dallas Love Field, the Southwest Airlines HQ. If he is successful, the following things would happen:
1) All Southwest Airlines service between OKC, Tulsa and Dallas would end, giving American Airlines a virtual monopoly.
2) Southwest Airlines might end up relocating its Dallas headquarters,
3) Southwest Airlines might end up exiting Will Rogers and Tulsa International Airport completely, since remaining passenger volumes would be significantly reduced,
4) Reduced flight schedules into Will Rogers might make the Southwest Airlines reservation center uneconomic.

In retaliation for Sen. Inhofe's actions, a Dallas-area Congressman, Jeb Hensarling has already introduced a bill which would force the closure of Tulsa International Airport.

This thing is going to get very ugly, with extremely serious potential impacts on Oklahoma's economy, yet the Oklahoma media seems to be asleep at the switch.

1) Unless they choose to fly to DFW Airport then there would be no change. You cry monopoly here...but not when American ended (for a time) service to St. Louis, or the monopoly on flights to Kansas City Southwest has?

2) If they relocate their HDQ it'll be to either Houston, Phoenix, or Vegas...but again, doubt it will happen.

3) Southwest will never leave OKC or TUL completely because of Dallas flights going away. They offer significantly more capacity to Kansas City than Dallas, and also have a good amount to Houston Hobby and Phoenix. I would actually expect service to be redirected to Nashville or Baltimore.

4) Why would lack of service in OKC have any effect on the Res Center? They deal with more than OKC residents. OKC is also one of the largest call center locations in the nation thanks to the low costs...that will not change. That's like saying Dell's call center here is too uneconomical because there are more Gateways or HPs sold in Oklahoma - just a hypothetical of course.

venture
07-22-2005, 01:25 PM
I posted this yesterday, however, I will reply to this one also.

I want that stupid Wright amendment (really should be called the wrong amendment) repealed. It was nothing but a scam. If Dallas can get one like that enforced, then why not ALL major airports.

Would I be in favor of closing Love Field? No. Not for the reason Inhoff proposes. All it will do is force those same flights to DFW and shift the hub there. It will not effect Oklahoma at all. Just enhance DFW's presence in the airline industry.

Of course, with the hub at DFW, it could force the airlines looking for hubs to look at Oklahoma City.

If they were going to close Love, they should have left it closed in the early 70s and not reopen it for Southwest. However, they did with the intention of just intrastate flying...and then Wright Amendment came to give them a little more...then the Shelby Amendment to give a little more...and now this. Either shut it down or open it up all the way. At least that is my stance now.

Shutting DAL may make OKC more favorable for a focus city operation - there won't be anymore large scale hubs (20+ gate operations) until airlines turn around. However, keep in mind that DFW has an entire terminal and satellite terminal open and empty right now thanks to Delta closing the hub there. Plenty of room to go yet.

soonerguru
07-22-2005, 10:06 PM
We have the two worst senators in America. What a joke. Coburn makes Inhofe seem intelligent, though, just like Inhofe made Nickles seem intelligent.

Our representation in Washington continues to get worse and worse. Thank God we have Earnest Mistook fighting for our "religious freedom" amendment every session instead of doing anything for OKC.

I may have to move out of this state eventually.

brianinok
07-23-2005, 09:44 AM
What did American do before DFW?? If they only had 3 gates at Love, then they obviously didn't have a hub, let alone a focus operation. Did the Dallas-Ft. Worth area agree to build DFW airport if American would put a hub there?

HKG_Flyer1
07-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Let's see, this week, Sen. Inhofe filed a bill to close the headquarters operation of the largest air carrier in Oklahoma, Southwest Airlines... the party responsible for bringing cheap flights, frequent service and new destinations to both OKC and Tulsa. I wonder what he's got planned for next week?

Here are some suggestions:
1) Introduce bill prohibiting Kerr-McKee from operating in downtown Oklahoma City. I've got some pretty sweet and empty office space in NW OKC that would be more appropriate for their use.
2) Introduce bill closing Frontier City. There's too much congestion on I-35; we've got plenty of land along the Oklahoma River which would be great for an amusement park.
3) Introduce bill to prohibit SBC from using existing fiber-optic cables running between Texas and Oklahoma. Plenty of capacity exists on other lines.
4) Introduce bill to ban automobile dealerships on Broadway in Edmond, due to aesthetic concerns. Better location would be along Kirkpatrick Turnpike.

Gee, the options are limitless. Thank you Sen. Inhofe, for looking out for the welfare of your constituents and representing Oklahoma as a stalwart of free enterprise.

venture
07-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Let me reference this site for you: http://www.dallas-lovefield.com/lovenotes/lovechrono.html

Also...prior to DFW Airport Braniff, American, and I believe Texas Int'l or Delta also had fairly sizeable operations at Love. As noted on the site about...all 8 airlines agreed to move over to DFW Airport when it was announced and Love would close. Then Southwest came in and started up and said they won't move.

HKG_Flyer1
07-23-2005, 10:02 AM
Why would lack of service in OKC have any effect on the Res Center? They deal with more than OKC residents. OKC is also one of the largest call center locations in the nation thanks to the low costs...that will not change. That's like saying Dell's call center here is too uneconomical because there are more Gateways or HPs sold in Oklahoma - just a hypothetical of course.

Because WN mgmt. employees fly their own airline as non-revs to manage their existing operations. Having to fly American, Delta, Continental or United would raise the cost of the operation.

HKG_Flyer1
07-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Let me reference this site for you: http://www.dallas-lovefield.com/lovenotes/lovechrono.html

Also...prior to DFW Airport Braniff, American, and I believe Texas Int'l or Delta also had fairly sizeable operations at Love. As noted on the site about...all 8 airlines agreed to move over to DFW Airport when it was announced and Love would close. Then Southwest came in and started up and said they won't move.

Nowhere on the link you reference does it say that "Love would close." The reason it doesn't is because there never was any such agreement.

The Dallas Observer ran a detailed expose on the DFW Airport board and their penchant for mis-stating the facts--- which they do repeatedly.

I invite anyone who is interested to read the article for themselves:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/issues/1997-10-16/news/feature_1.html

venture
07-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Let's see, this week, Sen. Inhofe filed a bill to close the headquarters operation of the largest air carrier in Oklahoma, Southwest Airlines... the party responsible for bringing cheap flights, frequent service and new destinations to both OKC and Tulsa. I wonder what he's got planned for next week?

Gee, the options are limitless. Thank you Sen. Inhofe, for looking out for the welfare of your constituents and representing Oklahoma as a stalwart of free enterprise.

Yes Southwest does offer services no other airlines do...to Kansas City. St. Louis had service on TWA...now American. Phoenix was all by themselves, but now has America West. Houston - has Continental. Dallas...originated with Central, American, etc...also has American today. Oooo...but they do have Saturday only service to Las Vegas...that Allegiant flies 4 times weekly, America West once daily, and Champion four weekly as well. Unfortunately Southwest has not paid any special attention to Oklahoma City when it comes to bringing new air service. As far as low fares...America West and Frontier would offset any low fare issues should Southwest exit. Also keep in mind...Southwest is not always the lowest fare airline.

IOW, Southwest has not done OKC any favors lately by bringing new nonstop service to east coast business markets or even Florida like most other cities.

venture
07-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Because WN mgmt. employees fly their own airline as non-revs to manage their existing operations. Having to fly American, Delta, Continental or United would raise the cost of the operation.

Or they could just...i dunno...drive? LOL

I see what you are trying to argue, but many other airlines have had res centers away from cities they fly to. Honestly...with a call center operation, they are not moving that many employees back and forth from Dallas.

venture
07-23-2005, 10:54 AM
Nowhere on the link you reference does it say that "Love would close." The reason it doesn't is because there never was any such agreement.

The Dallas Observer ran a detailed expose on the DFW Airport board and their penchant for mis-stating the facts--- which they do repeatedly.

I invite anyone who is interested to read the article for themselves:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/issues/1997-10-16/news/feature_1.html

No...on the site it doesn't state that, that is from comments made by Mr. Wright who sponsored the legislation. That was the agreement made between Dallas and Fort Worth...to close Love to commercial air traffic.

HKG_Flyer1
07-23-2005, 10:58 AM
No...on the site it doesn't state that, that is from comments made by Mr. Wright who sponsored the legislation. That was the agreement made between Dallas and Fort Worth...to close Love to commercial air traffic.

Rep. Wright was "wrong." In all seriousness, there never was any agreement to close Love Field. But you're not alone in believing that to be the case.

It's not the first time he has employed a bit of revisionist history (The article to which I directed you discusses other misstatements by former Rep. Wright).

BDP
07-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Yes Southwest does offer services no other airlines do...to Kansas City. St. Louis had service on TWA...now American. Phoenix was all by themselves, but now has America West. Houston - has Continental. Dallas...originated with Central, American, etc...also has American today. Oooo...but they do have Saturday only service to Las Vegas...that Allegiant flies 4 times weekly, America West once daily, and Champion four weekly as well. Unfortunately Southwest has not paid any special attention to Oklahoma City when it comes to bringing new air service. As far as low fares...America West and Frontier would offset any low fare issues should Southwest exit. Also keep in mind...Southwest is not always the lowest fare airline.

You make some good points, but when one airline leaves it reduces the downward pressure on the airfares of other airlines. OKC is so expensive to fly in and out of in large part due to a lack of competition. This probably affects our O&D numbers as well. We can't really afford to lose any service, even if those markets are served by other airlines.

HKG_Flyer1
07-23-2005, 12:30 PM
You make some good points, but when one airline leaves it reduces the downward pressure on the airfares of other airlines. OKC is so expensive to fly in and out of in large part due to a lack of competition. This probably affects our O&D numbers as well. We can't really afford to lose any service, even if those markets are served by other airlines.

I agree with you, BDP. I can't see anything good about Southwest Airlines possibly eliminating service to Dallas due to action by Sen. Inhofe.

Doug Loudenback
07-23-2005, 03:58 PM
Well, my "inner self" tells me that I should just keep my sentiments to myself, but my "outer self" more commonly prevails ... as it does now ... so please just let my outer self relate the personal opinion of my inner self, but with apologies to any who may be offended, particularly, and including, my inner self, who is telling my outer self to stuff it!

Jim Inhofe is a pinhead. He is such an embarrassment to this state (or, at least, my inner self constituant)! :tweeted:

HKG_Flyer1
07-23-2005, 04:05 PM
Well, my "inner self" tells me that I should just keep my sentiments to myself, but my "outer self" more commonly prevails ... as it does now ... so please just let my outer self relate the personal opinion of my inner self, but with apologies to any who may be offended, particularly, and including, my inner self, who is telling my outer self to stuff it!

Jim Inhofe is a pinhead. He is such an embarrassment to this state (or, at least, my inner self constituant)! :tweeted:

It's kind of funny, but prior to this issue, I was always somewhat neutral to mildly favorably disposed toward Sen. Inhofe. When I heard about this, however, I just about fell out of my chair. The more I look, the more fishy/idiotic his move seems; it's as if he took a complete leave of his senses.

When I've raised this with other people, they for the most part say stuff like, "Oh yeah, he's an idiot. Didn't you know?" My reply has been "Ah, no, not really." Didn't he represent Tulsa in Congress for several years? Where is his common sense here?

On the one hand, I can certainly understand him wanting to do a favor for American Airlines, as it does employ several thousand people at the AA Maintenance Facility in Tulsa. However, one has to draw the line somewhere. IMHO, that line falls well this side of introducing a bill to effectively close down the headquarters of a nettlesome competitor (Southwest) that has also generated substantial economic benefits for the State of Oklahoma and Oklahoma City.

Pete
07-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Looks like Inhofe is a laughingstock to his colleagues as well, as should be expected when you try and pull such a silly bit of grandstanding:

Retaliatory bill targets Tulsa airport
By The Associated Press

WASHINGTON - A Texas congressman, upset that Oklahoma Republican Sen. Jim Inhofe authored a bill that would force Southwest Airlines out of Love Field in Dallas, has introduced a bill to shut down commercial flights to Tulsa International Airport.

Rep. Jeb Hensarling, a Republican, titled his bill the "What's Love Got To Do With It Act," and called it a "lighthearted swipe," the Tulsa World reported Friday from its Washington bureau. The measure also targeted an airport in the home state of Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, who joined Inhofe's effort.

Inhofe introduced his bill after Sen. John Ensign, R-Nev., introduced legislation to repeal the Wright Amendment. The 1979 amendment prohibits Southwest from offering direct flights from Love Field, its home airport, to other states without first stopping in a state next to Texas.

If the amendment is repealed, Southwest would directly compete with American Airlines, a major Tulsa employer. The intent of the amendment was to help growth at then-new Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, the center of American Airlines' operations.
Hensarling said Congress should stay out of the issue.

"Having Congress shut down one airport to enhance the local economy of another is wrong and will set a very dangerous precedent," Hensarling said.

"Soon every member of Congress may attempt to arbitrarily shut down other airports to benefit their hometowns or home states. Do we really want Congress picking winners and losers between airlines and airports?"

Rep. John Sullivan, R-Tulsa, said he confronted Hensarling over the bill to close Tulsa's airport.

"I think he thinks he is kind of witty," said Sullivan, who represents Oklahoma's 1st District, which includes Tulsa. "This is not Leno or Letterman or something like that."

Sullivan said 25,000 jobs depend on Tulsa's airport.

Inhofe said he was not backing off his effort.

"I can assure you that as the senior senator from Oklahoma I am not going to sit idly by as American Airlines is legislated out of business," he said.

HKG_Flyer1
07-23-2005, 05:52 PM
Inhofe said he was not backing off his effort.

"I can assure you that as the senior senator from Oklahoma I am not going to sit idly by as American Airlines is legislated out of business," he said.

Hmmmm..... errr..... okay. Has anyone thought to mention to the Senator that no one is trying to legislate American Airlines out of business?

Does anyone have any idea what he is talking about?

Pete
07-23-2005, 06:10 PM
I think he's impling that if the Wright Ammendment is repealed by new legislation, it will have a severe impact on AA's business.

Pretty big leap and even if it did have an impact, AA has lots of other problems that have nothing to do with WN.

venture
07-23-2005, 06:11 PM

I agree with your comments...if Southwest leaves fares will probably go up some. OKC is not extremely expensive at all...and most of the O&D markets are relatively cheap to fly. If you play with the Q4 2004 O&D figures...the lowest cost (per mile) city to fly to from OKC is Manchester, NH thanks to Southwest (WN). That comes out to 11 cents per mile, though WN only has 26% of the market share. Lets go with the next group that are 15 cents or cheaper per mile to travel to. This brings in BOS, FLL, BWI, LAS, Islip (ISP), Hartford (BDL), Boise (BOI), and Oakland (OAK). All of those are 15 cents except BDL and BOI are 14 and OAK is 13. Of those, Southwest only has the most market share in BWI (33%) and Las Vegas (27.7%). In those markets Southwest isn't even the lowest priced airline with Delta winning BWI (13% market share) and Allegiant taking Vegas (21.2% market share).

The point I'm trying to make...Southwest has not been agressive for Oklahoma City for awhile. If you really want to guarantee low fares, the airport needs to go after JetBlue and AirTran. Only then will we see any spike in O&D. Southwest is comfortable with the status quo they have right now.

venture
07-23-2005, 06:17 PM
I think he's impling that if the Wright Ammendment is repealed by new legislation, it will have a severe impact on AA's business.

Pretty big leap and even if it did have an impact, AA has lots of other problems that have nothing to do with WN.

You hit it on the head. I would also watch the situation in Seattle now...as Alaska has filed a request to operate around 100 daily flights now from Boeing Field to compete with Southwest, if they are allowed to move. This is crazy. Southwest tried the same thing in Detroit years ago when they operated out of both Metro and City Airports. They had some basic service out of Metro to Chicago and St. Louis, with everything else out of City. They wanted Detroit to expand the runways at City Airport so they could move all of their operations away from Metro and Big Red. The deal never happened...Southwest left City Airport and moved everything to Metro Airport where it just offers basic "yeah we are here" level of service.

I think it should also be noted that Rep. Hensarling also stated that he thinks the situation in Dallas is fine the way it is now and everything should essentially be dropped.

HKG_Flyer1
07-23-2005, 07:04 PM
I agree with your comments...if Southwest leaves fares will probably go up some. OKC is not extremely expensive at all...and most of the O&D markets are relatively cheap to fly. If you play with the Q4 2004 O&D figures...the lowest cost (per mile) city to fly to from OKC is Manchester, NH thanks to Southwest (WN). That comes out to 11 cents per mile, though WN only has 26% of the market share. Lets go with the next group that are 15 cents or cheaper per mile to travel to. This brings in BOS, FLL, BWI, LAS, Islip (ISP), Hartford (BDL), Boise (BOI), and Oakland (OAK). All of those are 15 cents except BDL and BOI are 14 and OAK is 13. Of those, Southwest only has the most market share in BWI (33%) and Las Vegas (27.7%). In those markets Southwest isn't even the lowest priced airline with Delta winning BWI (13% market share) and Allegiant taking Vegas (21.2% market share).

The point I'm trying to make...Southwest has not been agressive for Oklahoma City for awhile. If you really want to guarantee low fares, the airport needs to go after JetBlue and AirTran. Only then will we see any spike in O&D. Southwest is comfortable with the status quo they have right now.

That all makes sense, venture79. Still, I find the idea of Sen. Inhofe "taking on" Southwest Airlines to be reckless and ill-advised. Since Inhofe has introduced the bill, Rep. Joe Barton has said that he will support Inhofe's effort unless Southwest ceases its efforts to get the Wright Amendment repealed. That sounds an awful lot like a form of extortion and blackmail, in my book.

I find this whole thing extremely unsavory and believe that Sen. Inhofe's effort reflects poorly on Oklahoma.

venture
07-23-2005, 07:12 PM
That all makes sense, venture79. Still, I find the idea of Sen. Inhofe "taking on" Southwest Airlines to be reckless and ill-advised. Since Inhofe has introduced the bill, Rep. Joe Barton has said that he will support Inhofe's effort unless Southwest ceases its efforts to get the Wright Amendment repealed. That sounds an awful lot like a form of extortion and blackmail, in my book.

I find this whole thing extremely unsavory and believe that Sen. Inhofe's effort reflects poorly on Oklahoma.

If things continue down this road of politicians going wacko...then I think we will see an increasing chance that they'll tell Southwest to deal with it and leave it status quo. The point I was trying to make is don't think of Southwest as a huge save all for Oklahoma City - they aren't worried about us right now. However, the new airport director better get to work on getting AirTran or JetBlue in town. Hopefully they can get someone like Akron-Canton's Fred Krum. He is probably the most successful airport director in the nation right now with incredible vision.

HKG_Flyer1
07-23-2005, 07:14 PM
I think it should also be noted that Rep. Hensarling also stated that he thinks the situation in Dallas is fine the way it is now and everything should essentially be dropped.

I don't think that's correct, although I think I know where you may have seen a statement to that effect in the last 24 hours, but I'm 99% sure that Rep. Hensarling is still on the case.

In fact, I've summarized the current status of the Wright Amendment repeal effort below:

House of Representatives

The Right to Fly Act (H.R. 2646) attracted an additional co-sponsor in the House on Thursday (Rep. Feeney).

Current sponsors are listed below.

Republicans (20 total)
Rep Baker, Richard H. [6th district – Baton Rouge, LA]
Rep Bradley, Jeb [1st district – Wolfeboro, NH]
Rep Calvert, Ken [44th district – Corona, CA]
Rep Cannon, Chris [3rd district - Mapleton, UT]
Rep Culberson, John Abney [7th district – Houston, TX]
Rep Feeney, Tom [24th district - Oviedo, FL]
Rep Flake, Jeff [6th district – Mesa, AZ]
Rep Fortenberry, Jeff [1st district - Lincoln, NE]
Rep Franks, Trent [2nd district – Glendale, AZ]
Rep Hensarling, Jeb [5th district – Dallas, TX]
Rep Hostettler, John N. [8th district - Blairsville, IN]
Rep Johnson, Sam [3rd district – Plano, TX]
Rep Miller, Jeff [1st district – Chumuckla, FL]
Rep Musgrave, Marilyn N. [4th district - Ft. Morgan, CO]
Rep Otter, C. L. (Butch) [1st district – Star, ID]
Rep Paul, Ron [14th district - Surfside, TX]
Rep Platts, Todd Russell [19th district - York, PA]
Rep Ryan, Paul [1st district - Janesville, WI]
Rep Terry, Lee [2nd district – Omaha, NE]
Rep Wilson, Joe [2nd district – Springdale, SC]

Democrats (9 total)
Rep Brady, Robert A. [1st district – Philadelphia, PA]
Rep Cardin, Benjamin L. [3rd district – Baltimore, MD]
Rep Cooper, Jim [5th district – Nashville, TN]
Rep Davis, Jim [11th district - Tampa, FL]
Rep Doyle, Michael F. [14th district – Swissvale, PA]
Rep Hinojosa, Ruben [15th district – Mercedes, TX]
Rep Ortiz, Solomon P. [27th district - Corpus Christi, TX]
Rep Murtha, John P. [12th district – Johnstown, PA]
Rep Thompson, Bennie G. [2nd district – Bolton, MS]

In addition, the following Congresswoman has introduced a bill (H.R. 2932) which would allow Tennessee-based air passenger traffic the right to fly in and out of DAL.

Rep Blackburn, Marsha [7th district – Brentwood, TN]

Finally, the Dallas Morning News reported that the No. 2 leader in the house, Majority Leader Tom DeLay [22nd district - Sugar Land, TX] stated "I would support getting rid of the Wright Amendment." The newspaper also reported that he said "I've never supported the Wright Amendment. I think it interferes with free market principles, and if we're ever going to have a viable airline industry in this country we have to go more toward free market principles than using government to pick winners and losers."

Senate

Sen. John Ensign (R-NV) has introduced the American Right to Fly Act (S. 1424) with bi-partisan support from the following five co-sponsors:

Sen. Brownback, Sam (R-KS)
Sen. Chafee, Lincoln (R-RI)
Sen. Hagel, Chuck (R-NE)
Sen. Lieberman, Joe (D-CT)
Sen. McCain, John (R-AZ)

In addition, the following Senator succeeded in securing an amendment to a FY06 Transportation-Treasury spending bill which would allow Missouri-based air passenger traffic the right to fly to fly in and out of DAL.

Sen. Bond, Christopher (R-MO)

In deference to Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, he agreed to drop a provision that would have removed restrictions on "through ticketing" and marketing that prohbit Southwest from advertising airfares and selling tickets between Love Field and cities outside the exempted states.

However, Bond threatened to pursue the issue further if legislation under review in the Commerce Committee to undo the Wright Amendment doesn not advance.

Finally, Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK) and Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA) introduced the Orwellian-named True Competition Act (S. 1425). The bill, which is supported by American Airlines, would close Dallas Love Field to all commercial air traffic. It appears to be an attempt to "punish" Southwest Airlines for seeking repeal of the Wright Amendment.

Not surprisingly, this bill has virtually no support.

HKG_Flyer1
07-23-2005, 07:17 PM
The point I was trying to make is don't think of Southwest as a huge save all for Oklahoma City - they aren't worried about us right now. However, the new airport director better get to work on getting AirTran or JetBlue in town. Hopefully they can get someone like Akron-Canton's Fred Krum. He is probably the most successful airport director in the nation right now with incredible vision.

Agreed, 100%. I do however, think that the Wright Amendment has a fair chance of being repealed. There is a lot of anger about this and it is increasingly being viewed as an anachronistic, anti-consumer piece of legislation which has evolved into a form of corporate welfare which benefits American Airlines at the expense of the traveling public.

HKG_Flyer1
07-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Did anyone else see today's Sunday Oklahoman? They spanked Sen. Inhofe... hard!!! Bad Senator! :fighting3 Crazy Senator! :tweeted:

mranderson
07-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Do you think this bit of a temper tantrum will cost him re-election in 2008?

HKG_Flyer1
07-24-2005, 05:08 PM
Do you think this bit of a temper tantrum will cost him re-election in 2008?

I don't think this issue alone will kill him (indeed, it's pretty difficult to get any incumbents out of office unless they do something like molest small children), but if he doesn't start doing some creative back-pedaling, he's given potential challengers a great talking point.

Whatever he was trying to do appears to be backfiring. The Tulsa media seem kind of mystified by this action, as well. The Tulsa Post, however, has yet to weigh in.

BDP
07-25-2005, 09:21 AM
The point I'm trying to make...Southwest has not been aggressive for Oklahoma City for awhile.

Which is definitely a valid point. The only point I was trying to make was that, while Southwest may not be aggressively expanding our service, anybody offering any service to OKC is a good thing. I would love to get the airlines you mentioned, but I would hate to lose any that we have, especially when it doesn't seem like getting additional airline service is in the near future.

That's interesting that you say OKC is not expensive to fly to or from, because I have lived in two other markets and flying home to OKC was always the most expensive ticket of any flying I'd do and I have a lot of friends who hesitate to visit because of the cost (and hassle) of flying here. But maybe it's just more expensive to fly the west coast where I have a lot of family. I trust you market evaluation, as you are consistently one of the most informed posters when it comes to air travel issues, but it's always seemed relatively expensive to me.

That’s what is kind of disgusting. American has benefited greatly from legislation. One could say that they have been legislated into business, or at least kept in business by legislation. No one is trying to legislate them out of business, but simply repeal restrictive legislation that actually discourages others from doing businesses. Again, just more proof that this is no principled stand by Inhofe, but just another case of a crooked senator kissing corporate ass.

jbrown84
07-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Did anyone else see today's Sunday Oklahoman? They spanked Sen. Inhofe... hard!!! Bad Senator! :fighting3 Crazy Senator! :tweeted:

You know it's bad when even The Oklahoman is badmouthing Inhofe.

HKG_Flyer1
07-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Las Vegas Sun

Editorial: So much for competition

WEEKEND EDITION
July 23-24, 2005

Excerpts:
This past week Sen. John Ensign, R-Nev., introduced legislation that would repeal restrictions on airline flights that have been imposed on Dallas' Love Field, which is where Southwest Airlines is headquartered.

The current federal restrictions are so severe that people from 43 states, including Nevada, can't make direct flights to Dallas' Love Field on Southwest, the busiest airline at Las Vegas' McCarran International Airport.

The irony of the restrictions on Dallas' Love Field is that they were put into law just one year after Congress deregulated the airline industry in 1978 to benefit consumers.

The restrictions on Love Field, if they ever made sense, certainly don't today. Dallas-Fort Worth Airport now is the world's sixth-busiest airport, so it sure doesn't need help.

But the opposition to Ensign's legislation is strong nonetheless, as both of Texas' U.S. senators -- Republicans Kay Bailey Hutchison and John Cornyn, usually thought of as free-market conservatives -- are opposed to removing these outdated government restrictions.

Even Oklahoma Republican James Inhofe, one of the most right-wing members of the Senate, opposes Ensign's legislation.

In fact, after Ensign introduced his bill, Inhofe introduced legislation that would effectively shut down Love Field, barring any flights with 56 passengers or more from using the airport. Inhofe had the chutzpah to call his anti-competitive legislation the "True Competition Act." :tweeted:

Inhofe's interest might not seem obvious at first since he isn't from Texas, but he is just doing the bidding of American Airlines, which is one of Oklahoma's largest employers, with 8,000 airline employees in Tulsa alone.

This is one of those issues where the public has a genuine opportunity to put to a test a member of Congress' stated free-market views -- and see whether they are just rhetoric. :congrats:

Inhofe, in the biography found on his Senate Web site, brags that he is "one of the leading conservative voices in the Senate," and "is a strong advocate of common sense Oklahoma values including less government, less regulation." What a joke. :fighting3

The corporate interests of American Airlines are being protected from competition by economic protectionism of the worst sort, while Southwest is further harmed because it can't expand and consumers are hurt because they have fewer choices, which results in higher fares. :congrats:

BDP
07-26-2005, 10:19 AM
HKG, this whole issue highlights the fallacy of "free-market" politics. Many in the so-called conservative guard feign to be free-market supporters to the public, but are "pro-business" in application and in private fundraising campaigning. They complain when their political adversaries make attempts to protect selected individuals, but they are just as guilty of using the government to protect selected corporations. In most of today's rhetoric, the term "free-market" is merely lip-service for the ideologues.

This is also how in a "conservative" city you get support for public financing for an outside retail chain, but not for something like public wireless infrastructure.

brianinok
07-26-2005, 04:55 PM
Today's Journal Record had an article about the bill to close TUL to commercial traffic. Does anyone have access to it?

soonerguru
07-26-2005, 06:14 PM
This is also how in a "conservative" city you get support for public financing for an outside retail chain, but not for something like public wireless infrastructure.

Especially when the Gaylord Family owns a 20 percent interest in the "outside retail chain."

The Oklahoman loves taxes in which their owners are enriched.

mranderson
07-26-2005, 06:42 PM
Especially when the Gaylord Family owns a 20 percent interest in the "outside retail chain."

The Oklahoman loves taxes in which their owners are enriched.

What is the "outside retail chain?"

soonerguru
07-26-2005, 09:29 PM
The "outside retail chain" is Bass Pro. You've heard of it?

mranderson
07-26-2005, 09:31 PM
The "outside retail chain" is Bass Pro. You've heard of it?

Bass Pro, yes. However, I have never heard of the term "outside retail chain."

BDP
07-27-2005, 10:01 AM
I have never heard of the term "outside retail chain."

Not locally owned or headquartered. There are a lot of people who are indifferent to that issue though, so I can understand.

HKG_Flyer1
08-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Looks like Sen. Inhofe has found a partner in his bizarre quest to close down Southwest Airlines' Dallas HQ and eliminate its OKC-DAL and TUL-DAL routes. The scandal-tainted Rep. E.B. Johnson (D-TX) has decided to lead the charge on Inhofe's behalf in the House of Representatives.

For those that don't know her (I assume that includes everyone), some of the highlights of her legislative career in Washington are as follows:
1) She was one of 11 congresscritters who wrote Kofi Annan, Secretary General of the U.N., to ask him to send official election monitors to the U.S. to monitor the last Presidential election.
2) She was one of 3 congresscritters who voted against sending former Pres. Ronald Reagan a birthday greeting when he was on his deathbed.

During last week's press conference, she cited "protection of DFW minority contractors" as her main reason for wanting to keep the Wright Amendment in place and shutter Love Field. Indeed, she surrounded herself with such contractors during her announcement. Ironically, DFW Airport is not even in her district (although she pointed out that it used to be), whereas Love Field is in her district.

When one of the reporters asked the logical question as to why she wasn't concerned about minority contractors and employees (i.e. her own consituents) at Love Field, who would be thrown out of work, she practically snarled (and refused to answer the question). She was then joined by a "neighborhood representative" who said she supported Rep. Johnson's action. Ironically, this resident wasn't from her district either (she is actually from Rep. Pete Session's district).

In any case, it looks like Sen. Inhofe has done a good job of curing any "warm fuzzy feelings" Southwest Airlines might have had about Oklahoma. His actions have also attracted a fair amount of negative press (although nothing on the scale of that legislator awhile back who seemed to be trying to recruit ambulance chasers to file their claims here).