View Full Version : How I Found a Surprisingly Good Health Plan

kelroy55
12-02-2013, 02:03 PM
http://boss.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/02/how-i-found-a-surprisingly-good-health-plan/?_r=0

OKCisOK4me
12-02-2013, 03:37 PM
I so don't care for reading all of that. Can you give us the jist or what?

MWCGuy
12-03-2013, 12:32 AM
I could resolve the whole mess in just a few minor changes:'

The patient pays for all minor services out of pocket. (Primary Care, X-Rays, Labs and most medical supplies) The cost of these would drop drastically overnight if the consumer paid the bill. Imagine how much tires, brakes, windshield wipers, oil changes and tune ups would cost if your car insurance company covered the bill.

All providers clinics and hospitals have to publish their prices online and upfront at the office so the customer could price shop. You pay the room and board fees out of pocket. You could pay for your own nurse or to be assigned to a group as they do it now to each nurse.

Reserve insurance for paying for the actual services provided by medical staff in a hospital or ER in an actual emergency.

You deal with the insurance company not the provider.

In the end people would see how much they pay and only pay for the services they wanted or needed.

Establish a federal sales tax to pay for indigent care providers and facilities. Require those that could pay for services to pay for their services over time in monthly payments. Any debt incurred would be considered a life time debt. That way if you suddenly hit the lottery or became wealthy at some point later in life, you have to pay the debt.

kelroy55
12-03-2013, 05:58 AM

Sure... http://boss.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/02/how-i-found-a-surprisingly-good-health-plan/?_r=1

Plutonic Panda
12-03-2013, 08:19 AM
1) Choose a company you want to do business with.

The official recommendation

tomokc
12-03-2013, 08:29 AM
Maybe I'm the only one, but it seems lazy to simply post links and expect others to click, go to another site, read, close and return. If I want someone read by others, I'll paste the text. If it's long or copyrighted, then I'll paste some text from the lead and include the hyperlink.

HangryHippo
12-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Maybe I'm the only one, but it seems lazy to simply post links and expect others to click, go to another site, read, close and return. If I want someone read by others, I'll paste the text. If it's long or copyrighted, then I'll paste some text from the lead and include the hyperlink.

Based on this post, you seem like the lazy one.

kelroy55
12-03-2013, 08:58 AM

How is expecting others to read the article rather than posting the link to the source, which takes about 2 seconds to get to, lazy? Is that 2 seconds that important?

tomokc
12-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Perhaps "lazy" is the wrong word. There is such an overwhelming volume of current-events information in the world and no-one can read but the tiniest fraction of it. I determine what to read after seeing a headline and the lead, and if it's interesting or well-written, I'll delve further; if not then I'll move along. A hyperlinked headline doesn't do it for me.

Again, it's the type of information I'm reading. I'm near the start of an 1,100-page book which will take hours, typically broken into sessions of 30-60 minutes. But when I'm flying around Web sites, message boards and Facebook posts, it's "bang, bang, bang" from story to story.

kelroy55
12-03-2013, 09:17 AM
Perhaps "lazy" is the wrong word. There is such an overwhelming volume of current-events information in the world and no-one can read but the tiniest fraction of it. I determine what to read after seeing a headline and the lead, and if it's interesting or well-written, I'll delve further; if not then I'll move along. A hyperlinked headline doesn't do it for me.

Again, it's the type of information I'm reading. I'm near the start of an 1,100-page book which will take hours, typically broken into sessions of 30-60 minutes. But when I'm flying around Web sites, message boards and Facebook posts, it's "bang, bang, bang" from story to story.

I am somewhat the same way but if I find the title or topic interesting I go ahead and click on the link provided. 50% of the time I copy and paste the article and this time I choose not to. Sometimes it depends if I'm multi-tasking at work or not.

OKCisOK4me
12-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Sure... http://boss.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/12/02/how-i-found-a-surprisingly-good-health-plan/?_r=1

I have an app on my iPhone called Circa. It's quite cool because the developers of the app take full blown articles and they chop them up into shorter tidbits to give the jist of the story and don't they don't act like pricks about it either...

kelroy55
12-04-2013, 06:24 AM
I have an app on my iPhone called Circa. It's quite cool because the developers of the app take full blown articles and they chop them up into shorter tidbits to give the jist of the story and don't they don't act like pricks about it either...

Cool... the next link I post I'll send it to you to chop up.

tomokc
12-04-2013, 07:47 AM
I've heard of Circa. Just downloaded and I'll give it a whirl - thanks!

Two aggregators I like are Flipboard (for iOS) and Digg (on the web). Flipboard lets you select content and providers, but Digg provides thumbnails from stories they select and links to the sources.

kelroy55
12-04-2013, 10:15 AM
I've heard of Circa. Just downloaded and I'll give it a whirl - thanks!

Two aggregators I like are Flipboard (for iOS) and Digg (on the web). Flipboard lets you select content and providers, but Digg provides thumbnails from stories they select and links to the sources.

I'll have to check those out but I usually prefer to either post the entire article or post a link to it in order to present the full thing. I've found that sometimes when only parts are presented some important info is missing. I also try to not post anything too long.

OKCisOK4me
12-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Cool... the next link I post I'll send it to you to chop up.

Maybe you're confused..... I don't work at Shogun Steakhouse...