View Full Version : Cranberry Sauce and Living Wills

ljbab728
11-27-2013, 11:06 PM
Pass the cranberry sauce; have you got a living will? | News OK (http://newsok.com/pass-the-cranberry-sauce-have-you-got-a-living-will/article/3908818)

This is something that was brought home to me recently.

Just last year I was involved with my now deceased mother as her medical power of attorney and obeying her living will. When I had a recent medical issue arise it occurred to me that I didn't have anything set up like that for myself. I immediately did so and it's a great relief to me and I'm sure it will be, at some point, for my family. It's just not something that most people like to think about.

kevinpate
11-28-2013, 09:47 AM
... It's just not something that most people like to think about.

True that. I've been involved with family members and others in a wide variety of situations, medical and non-medical. serious legal consequences and minor legal annoyances. Helping someone through setting up an advance directive is typically a hard conversation, though in my opinion it ought not to be.

When someone has trouble coping with the thought of their end days from a medical standpoint, it's also almost a given that person will also have difficulty wrapping their head around the need for a durable power of attorney.

On the whole, we tend to not want to face our own mortality, and there is even less comfort in facing anything that suggests lingering and being unable to make decisions prior to one's demise.

In my opinion, dealing with these two items are great gifts to one's family.

ljbab728
11-28-2013, 07:09 PM
True that. I've been involved with family members and others in a wide variety of situations, medical and non-medical. serious legal consequences and minor legal annoyances. Helping someone through setting up an advance directive is typically a hard conversation, though in my opinion it ought not to be.

When someone has trouble coping with the thought of their end days from a medical standpoint, it's also almost a given that person will also have difficulty wrapping their head around the need for a durable power of attorney.

On the whole, we tend to not want to face our own mortality, and there is even less comfort in facing anything that suggests lingering and being unable to make decisions prior to one's demise.

In my opinion, dealing with these two items are great gifts to one's family.

That was my thought exactly, Kevin. I don't want to put my family through any complicated legal situations if something becomes necessary 160 years from now.

Achilleslastand
11-28-2013, 07:35 PM
In the case of both of my parents one had everything in order the other did not I can say I would not want nor wish what I and many had to go thru with the latter on anyone.
Great thread and wake up call to get our affairs in order so to speak before departing this earth.