View Full Version : Half a Nipple

lasomeday
11-27-2013, 07:04 AM
So, I was at Starbucks this morning and look down and see a woman with a shirt half way pulled down and her nipple half out on the cover of the New York Times.

How is that allowed to be published on the cover of a major paper?

kevinpate
11-27-2013, 07:57 AM
Are you referring to the photo of the lady in the black top with the surgical scars above and to the side of her breast?
The image goes with a breast cancer story. Hardly half a nipple if that's the image you saw. It was barely a sliver of areola.

Stew
11-27-2013, 08:25 AM
I'm not offended by the picture but it does seem like a poor choice for the related article. I guess somebody figured it was an attention getter and judging by the fact it landed as a topic on an OKC website I gotta think that somebody was right.

The article itself is very interesting. I'm glad it was brought to my attention.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-27-2013, 08:52 AM
I think it's about time we stop getting the vapors over boobers. It's childishly prude. There around around seven BILLION female boobs on this planet...We've all seen them. How anyone can be offended by them is beyond me.

Urbanized
11-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Possibly the most remarkable thing about that photo is seeing someone with A TATTOO of the Star of David.

Jersey Boss
11-27-2013, 09:56 AM
So, I was at Starbucks this morning and look down and see a woman with a shirt half way pulled down and her nipple half out on the cover of the New York Times.

See the first amendment to the US ConsTITution.

Ginkasa
11-27-2013, 12:16 PM
I think context is really important with something like this. The photo is not nor intended to be sexual in any way. I don't see this issue.

bandnerd
11-27-2013, 04:40 PM
So...if it were a man's areola showing...

trousers
11-27-2013, 04:42 PM

The whole thing or just half? Big difference.

Midtowner
11-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Ttiwwp.

kevinpate
11-27-2013, 04:43 PM

Then you have the makings for a Ron White joke?

Mel
11-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Breastfeeding in public is another thing society needs to ease up on. It's healthier for the baby and forms a better bond between infant and mother.

rezman
11-27-2013, 08:07 PM

If you consider her nipple is half out, then you don't get out much. The photo is a non issue. In fact it is quite tame in regards to breast cancer. My mom had breast cancer surgery, and her scar was much larger and disfiguring than what is shown in that article.

bandnerd
11-27-2013, 08:08 PM
Breastfeeding in public is another thing society needs to ease up on. It's healthier for the baby and forms a better bond between infant and mother.

Yuuuuuup. Because the actual use for breasts is BREASTFEEDING. Feeding our newborn children. The sexualization of breasts is another thing entirely. It's not like women are walking around, forcing people to look at their breasts, they're feeding their offspring. Heaven forbid...

venture
11-28-2013, 07:49 AM
Honestly, the whole taboo topic of anything to do with the human body gets old fast. Everyone has breasts. Some men have much larger ones than females, and they look the same at times, but yet they can walk around shirtless and its okay?

A lot comes back to how kids are raised when it comes to their bodies. Parents don't want to talk about it or shame the child into keep matters like that quiet. Children are often embarrassed to even discuss it because it is a no-no topic. Most learn about it either from surfing the internet or from friends.

The above the belt stuff just needs to be de-sexualized and for people to mature passed the subject. Below the belt is obviously more taboo since you are talking about actual reproductive organs at that point and not the most pleasant looking place on the human body.