View Full Version : Is age just a number?

Curtis
11-24-2013, 07:03 PM
Whats your thoughts here...I am 51, my last G.F was 31.She pursued me knowing my age and of course I was good with it. This is mostly for the women, whats your thoughts on dating older?
Most people mistake me for 35 to 40, which I am cool with..:cool:

To me age is just a number..

Zuplar
11-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Age is most definitely a number, to a degree. IMO once a person gets to a certain maturation point, it's fairly acceptable to hang out or date people older or younger. I hang out with people that are 10 and 20 years older than myself but we all have the same hobbys.

Achilleslastand
11-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Someone famous once said " the good thing about being my age is I can date girls half my age and not get thrown in jail".

ljbab728
11-24-2013, 09:02 PM
Absolutely age is just a number. The things that can happen to your body as you age real issues as I'm finding out recently in spades.

Plutonic Panda
11-24-2013, 09:17 PM
TBH, I'd prefer dating an older woman. I'm into cougars and such. As far as a woman dating an older man, I don't see a problem with it.

boscorama
11-24-2013, 09:23 PM
A number is just a number. Age is more complicated.

MWCGuy
11-25-2013, 02:18 AM
It all depends on the person. I've met older people who had the maturity of a teenager and I have met 18 to early twenty somethings with the maturity of a 50 year old.

I think where people go wrong is chasing someone who is not interested in them to begin with. If there is a spark you will know. If there is not one move on there are plenty of people out there who you can have a good time with and make a lot of fun memories. No need to make it creepy.

Age is only important in my book when the person is a minor. I don't care who you are or how great you are, you don't belong in a relationship with a minor.

Lastly.... keep an open mind love does not come in a supermodel body. I have always found the average ladies are the best ones to have. They will take care of you if you take care of them.

Oh GAWD the Smell!
11-25-2013, 08:30 AM
Age is just a number?

Only old people say that.

And maybe people under 25 trying to rent a car.

Just the facts
11-25-2013, 08:41 AM
30 vs. 50 = no big deal
50 vs. 70 = big deal

Relationship age differences are like dog years. The is an initial point where age is a big deal, then this huge gap in the middle where age difference isn't a problem, then near the upper end it becomes a big deal again. Of course, if people are only in it for the money then all bets are off. My observation has been that a younger man might like 45 year old women - but they want a new crop of 45 year old women every few years. They don't have much of an interest in a 60 year old woman.

betts
11-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Although, it is more logical for women to marry/be in a long term relationship with a younger man, as women generally live longer. And I wouldn't want to spend my fifties caring for a man 70+ personally.

Just the facts
11-25-2013, 08:53 AM
You're right Betts. It's all great until medical issues start popping up, then it's, "do I go out and have good time or wipe pudding off my invalid husband/boyfriends mouth?" And that romantic trip to Paris isn't the same when hauling around an oxygen tank.

bchris02
11-25-2013, 09:09 AM
Not sure I would agree with this. Being in my later twenties I feel I'm in a race to pass certain life milestones by the time I am 30 (marriage, owning a home) and I am not sure I am going to get there. I wish I could say that age is just a number but in our society it isn't so much. There are certain milestones we are expected to have reached by a certain age especially in more conservative circles, such as finishing college by 22, marriage by 24, kids by 27 and home ownership by 30. There is a lot of pressure to meet these deadlines it seems like.

kelroy55
11-25-2013, 11:10 AM
TBH, I'd prefer dating an older woman. I'm into cougars and such. As far as a woman dating an older man, I don't see a problem with it.

I would do that but all the women that are older than me are in the nursing home.

RadicalModerate
11-25-2013, 11:20 AM
I'd say that age is more of a word than a number.
Unlike 175

Jim Kyle
11-25-2013, 12:11 PM
There is a lot of pressure to meet these deadlines it seems like.The pressure can affect you ONLY if you permit it to do so. That is, I think, one of the major lessons I've learned in the past helf-century or more.

I met the first deadline early, turning 21 only a couple of months before getting my BA/2nd Lt bars, but missed the second. Made up for it, by a month, on the third, acquiring an entire family 32 days before turning 27 -- and bought a house only a year later. However I didn't particularly feel any external pressure to meet any of those other than the first, and with a shooting war in progress at the time, it provided all the pressure for the first as I ignored the rest of society...

I can't say that age is just a number, but to a large degree it IS just a state of mind. The other day my wife and I were having lunch at a WhataBurger and two old men were conversing in a booth next to ours. Their entire conversation dealt with their respective health problems, and visits to a cemetery (at least one was apparently a recent widower). When they got up to leave, I saw that both were leaning heavily on canes -- and neither of them appeared to be a day past 70, which made them more than a decade my junior! I remarked on it to my wife, who's six years younger than I am but doesn't look a day past 60. Then I gathered up my oxygen bottle and my own cane and headed out to our vehicle for the drive home.

Physical age cannot be minimized. Mental age, however, is a matter of choice. It's all up to you, not to the pressures of society. Pleading pressure, to put it bluntly, is a copout!

bluedogok
11-25-2013, 08:49 PM
Yes...I dated some who were my age and older (mid to late 30's back 10+ years ago) that acted like teens and some in their 20's who acted 60. Not a gender specific thing either, knew guys who were the same way.

Plutonic Panda
11-25-2013, 10:00 PM
I would do that but all the women that are older than me are in the nursing home.Then age may possibly be more than "just a number" if you're implying I should get out and hunt for older women while I'm still 19? Unless you follow the "cougar" line where older women hunt younger men. lol j/k. . . I turn 20 on the 29th of this month though.

I would be hunting some place else than a nursing home for my future wife haha ;)

Plutonic Panda
11-25-2013, 10:02 PM
The pressure can affect you ONLY if you permit it to do so. That is, I think, one of the major lessons I've learned in the past helf-century or more.

I met the first deadline early, turning 21 only a couple of months before getting my BA/2nd Lt bars, but missed the second. Made up for it, by a month, on the third, acquiring an entire family 32 days before turning 27 -- and bought a house only a year later. However I didn't particularly feel any external pressure to meet any of those other than the first, and with a shooting war in progress at the time, it provided all the pressure for the first as I ignored the rest of society...

I can't say that age is just a number, but to a large degree it IS just a state of mind. The other day my wife and I were having lunch at a WhataBurger and two old men were conversing in a booth next to ours. Their entire conversation dealt with their respective health problems, and visits to a cemetery (at least one was apparently a recent widower). When they got up to leave, I saw that both were leaning heavily on canes -- and neither of them appeared to be a day past 70, which made them more than a decade my junior! I remarked on it to my wife, who's six years younger than I am but doesn't look a day past 60. Then I gathered up my oxygen bottle and my own cane and headed out to our vehicle for the drive home.

Physical age cannot be minimized. Mental age, however, is a matter of choice. It's all up to you, not to the pressures of society. Pleading pressure, to put it bluntly, is a copout!Great post Mr. Kyle and I wish you the best sir! :)

hoya
11-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Age is just a number. That's what I tell high school girls. Along with "hey baby, I have a car."

hoya
11-25-2013, 11:19 PM

Dude, an older woman for you just means she can buy you beer.

Plutonic Panda
11-26-2013, 12:09 AM
Dude, an older woman for you just means she can buy you beer.Well, I'm not really into just a sugar momma, but yeah haha. . . I'm also not the biggest fan of alcohol, but I'll have a good time when needed ;)

windowphobe
11-26-2013, 07:16 PM
In my case, it's just a number -- but a very high number.

Curtis
11-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Haha...that's how I feel.

Curtis
11-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts...Seems either way around here, in my town, its hard to find a good one at any age.

Teo9969
11-26-2013, 11:13 PM
I'd say that age is more of a word than a number.
Unlike 175

This is gold!

catch22
11-26-2013, 11:19 PM
Half your age plus 7

Prunepicker
12-01-2013, 09:28 PM
I can't imagine being married to a woman half my age with her having
to take care of me when she's 40. How reasonable is that? Thankfully
my wife is older than me, which emphasizes her incredible wisdom.

BBatesokc
12-02-2013, 05:46 AM
...Physical age cannot be minimized. Mental age, however, is a matter of choice. ...

Couldn't agree more.

There are moments when age (or age differences) don't seem to be a big deal - 20's - 60's - possibly (depending on mental maturity).

But it should certainly be a consideration when it comes to long term relationships IMO.

My stepfather - whom I've always considered my dad since I was the age of 11 - died just three weeks ago (and just before their 31st wedding anniversary). He was 83 and my mother is only 60.

The 'age is just a number' misconception became evident when he hit his 70's. Fortunately he kept himself in very good health. Otherwise, mom would have been faced with being the caretaker of an elderly husband while she herself was still fairly 'young.'

Now she's 60 and a widow and not looking forward to possibly creating an entirely new life with someone else for the next 20-40 years.

Fortunately my parents were very mature and responsible and my dad knew he would most likely die long before my mom, so he made sure she would be financially taken care of for the rest of her life even if he couldn't be there himself.

I believe if two people are in good physical shape then indeed mental age is what mostly separates us or draws us together regardless of 'the number.'

I personally would not want to marry someone 20-30years younger than myself knowing the reality they may one day have to take care of me and that I will most likely die long before they do.

kelroy55
12-02-2013, 06:15 AM
Sorry for the loss of your step-father. I know how step parents can seem like your biological ones, or closer.