View Full Version : Bronx Teen Arrested, Thrown in Prison For Three Years Without Ever Being Convicted

Mississippi Blues
11-24-2013, 04:05 PM
I can't quite understand this….

Teen Thrown In Violent New York Prison For Years Without Ever Having Been Convicted (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/20/kalief-browder-rikers-teen-violent-new-york-prison_n_4302360.html)

Jersey Boss
11-24-2013, 05:11 PM
Contrast this with the recent conviction of a Florida congressman for cocaine possession who is sentenced to rehab. American exceptionalism.

BBatesokc
11-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Personally, I'd like to see the docket history on this case before developing too much of an opinion one way or the other on the fact he was held three years and then the charges dropped.

I can only base my assumptions on Oklahoma Courts, but for a case to be delayed that long, both sides have to be actively working to delay it.

As for his treatment in prison/jail - sounds inexcusable, but fairly routine in such places. Unfortunately our public has yet to sympathize with the incarcerated and their treatment. Personally, I think it should be a priority.

BlackmoreRulz
11-24-2013, 06:06 PM
nm

Jersey Boss
11-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Incarcerated still does not equal convicted. Convicted does not equal license to perpetrate sadistic treatment.

kevinpate
11-24-2013, 07:10 PM
Tough circumstances for a family when it is not possible to make bail for a child. I don't know if NY operates like OK or not. In OK, 1G or 1.5G would have likely been enough to get a bondsman on board, and return the lad home until the matter was resolved.

I've known many folk who could not do that in a matter of hours. I've known fewer, though yes, some, who couldn't make it happen with more time.

Jersey Boss
11-24-2013, 07:43 PM
Agreed Kev, with knowing "fewer... who couldn't make it happen with more time". But therein lies the dilemma for families who can't scrape 1/1.5 G quickly to make bail. Once the bail is paid to the bondsman, does the accused in NY lose the ability to have a PD appointed? So given the choice between bail or legal counsel many of those less fortunate choose the legal counsel. I doubt if this young man would be in a fair fight going pro se. Of course with no attorney the pressure to cop a deal is greater whether factually innocent or not.

kevinpate
11-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Jersey, I don't know if NYC is as fast with a bail equals not indigent, no how, no way, decision as some of our own courts are prone to be. They may have a similar sentiment, but I would hope not. Making bail should only create a presumption regarding eligibility for indigency status, but it seems to irritate some, at least a wee bit. When that happens, they scoot part of that over and get in that no how no way mindset.