View Full Version : Emily Sutton is doing an Ironman Triathlon

Pete
11-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Some may know that I've been into triathlon for quite a while, having competed in three full Ironman competitions and scores of other distances.

I have a friend in OKC from high school that also does them and just today I saw she signed up for Ironman Arizona, and that Emily Sutton also signed up as a part of the same local training group. (I believe they are doing this through the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, the same organization I have been involved with for my endurance events and coaching.)

I had seen Emily had completed the local Redman half -Iron distance tri and had a respectable time.

For those that don't know, a full Ironman is: 2.4 mile open-water swim (IM Arizona uses the Tempe town lake / river); 112 mile bike and then a running marathon (26.2 miles).

For most competitors, it takes between 12 and 17 hours to complete; you have to finish within 17 to get your official medal.

It also takes a full year of training six days a week, often with more than one workout a day.

So, big ups to Emily for taking this on and doing it for an awesome cause! You can bet there will be plenty of media coverage when she races in November of 2014.

kelroy55
11-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Good job to all of you, I almost needed oxygen just reading what it takes.

bluedogok
11-18-2013, 09:28 PM
I have some friends in Texas who have done them, one did his first half in 2011 in The Woodlands. His first full was last year in Montreal right in the middle of summer, he said it was a nice change from the spring/summer training in Austin.