View Full Version : Buchanans flea market

Jesseda
11-17-2013, 07:43 AM
I got a question, why does this flea market charge 5 dollars ea to get in i never heard of a flea market who charges a entrance fee.

GaryOKC6
11-17-2013, 08:05 AM
I got a question, why does this flea market charge 5 dollars ea to get in i never heard of a flea market who charges a entrance fee.

That is probably why I have never heard of Bachman's flea market. Go to Old Paris. it is free

Jesseda
11-17-2013, 08:14 AM
That is probably why I have never heard of Bachman's flea market. Go to Old Paris. it is free

Yeah buchanans is at the okc fair grounds once a month, i was thinking of going but to charge five bucks to get into a flea market i thought was kind of odd, im not going unless it is well worth it, has anyone been to it, if so is it worth paying

kevinpate
11-17-2013, 09:04 AM
... buchanans is at the okc fair grounds ...

Sounds like the answer in a nutshell. Doesn't most everything at the fairgrounds have a cover charge?

Jesseda
11-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Sounds like the answer in a nutshell. Doesn't most everything at the fairgrounds have a cover charge?

They have a flea market that takes place at the cleveland county fairgrounds but they do not charge to get in. I just curious as to what the whole five bucks a head is all about

kevinpate
11-17-2013, 11:01 AM
I know. There is also a craft fair over Thanksgiving weekend at Cleveland Co grounds with no cover.

CC Fair grounds aren't run by the folk who run the State Fair Grounds so the two aren't comparable.

Many events at State fairgrounds have a cover, especially if they are events with small independent dealers. My best guess - the cover is to spread the event fee around, keeping space rental cheap enough to not have the desired sellers simply say fergitaboudit. I know the fees for commercial vendors during the state fair used to be far from insignificant just for the right to be present.

Garin
11-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Evil capitalist

rezman
11-17-2013, 02:12 PM
I've been to Buchanan's numerous times. They rent the hall from the fairgrounds, and vendors pay about $60 for booth space. Buchanan's is a business, which is probalbly why they charge to get in.

There's been times when the place was cram packed with cool stuff and other times when it was kind of ho hum. But I have found some really cool stuff there for not a lot of money.

Prunepicker
11-17-2013, 09:18 PM
I got a question, why does this flea market charge 5 dollars ea to get in i
never heard of a flea market who charges a entrance fee.
Probably because it doesn't have anything worth buying. They want to
make money.

Prunepicker
11-17-2013, 09:27 PM
That is probably why I have never heard of Bachman's flea market. Go to
Old Paris. it is free
Old Paris is okay, not great. The food in the parking lot is good and
especially the corn. As far as the flea market goes, it isn't very good.
Personally I prefer garage sales and Target. I suggest a morning of
garage sales then going to Pollo Regio if one wants to feel good about
themselves toward non French aliens.

MWCGuy
11-18-2013, 12:34 AM
Reminds me of those electronic sales that used to (maybe they still do) come to the fairgrounds for unbelievable sales on everything from TV's to games to car audio. I went to one once and never returned. I paid $7 in my high school days to see overpriced no name products because the deals supposedly sold before I got there according to one of the people working the event. Hardly anyone was buying anything, most people walked out empty handed like I did.

BBatesokc
11-18-2013, 04:20 AM
Was a partner of a booth at Old Paris many, many years ago and had my own at AMC in the mid-late 90's.

Both flea markets IMO became barely a shadow of what a real flea market is supposed to be. Old Paris has way too much bulk 'made in china' crap and actual inventory. Real Flea markets should have tons of rare finds, garage sale items and no actual 'inventory' of stuff they continue to replenish.

MWCGuy
11-18-2013, 07:53 AM
Was a partner of a booth at Old Paris many, many years ago and had my own at AMC in the mid-late 90's.

Both flea markets IMO became barely a shadow of what a real flea market is supposed to be. Old Paris has way too much bulk 'made in china' crap and actual inventory. Real Flea markets should have tons of rare finds, garage sale items and no actual 'inventory' of stuff they continue to replenish.

I used to frequent Old Paris and AMC with my grandpa when I was a kid. He would hit both religiously bright and early. He stopped going and switched to Mary's Swap Meet for that very reason. I always loved going with him he knew how to cut a deal.