View Full Version : In-n-Out Burger

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

corwin1968
10-31-2013, 01:05 PM
I haven't read all seventeen pages of this thread so I'll just ask....is there any word linking In'N'Out Burgers to the new development on Memorial. It sounds like it would fit right in.

warreng88
10-31-2013, 01:14 PM
I haven't read all seventeen pages of this thread so I'll just ask....is there any word linking In'N'Out Burgers to the new development on Memorial. It sounds like it would fit right in.

No. Not yet at least. If they do come to OKC, they are probably going to open several one right after another like they did in the DFW area. Possibly one in this area, one out on I-40 and Meridian and one in MWC. I could also see one in the Moore area and one out on Expressway. As for me and my appetite, I'll have Tuckers or Patty Wagon.

OKCisOK4me
10-31-2013, 02:26 PM
No. Not yet at least. If they do come to OKC, they are probably going to open several one right after another like they did in the DFW area. Possibly one in this area, one out on I-40 and Meridian and one in MWC. I could also see one in the Moore area and one out on Expressway. As for me and my appetite, I'll have Tuckers or Patty Wagon.

Jack in the Box didn't impress me. Is In N Out that good?

Of Sound Mind
10-31-2013, 02:52 PM

no

warreng88
10-31-2013, 02:54 PM

I think it is good, but there are so many other local burger places I would rather eat at. If given the choice, I would rather have Tucker's, Nic's, Patty Wagon, Irma's or S&B's in that order over In and Out.

bradh
10-31-2013, 02:57 PM
In N Out is to Californias what Whataburger is to Texans

It's just a decent fast food burger, nothing more.

Now Jack in the Box...I love those only for the drunk snack tacos :)

Dustin
10-31-2013, 03:11 PM
It's just a decent fast food burger, nothing more.

PSHHHTT! Recant that statement now, heathen!

But seriously, In-n-out is probably the best fast food burger I have ever had. It blows Braums, Five Guys, Whataburger, and Johnnies out of the water.

I really wish we had a few of them here.

adaniel
10-31-2013, 03:34 PM
Everyone I've talked to in Texas tells me the In-and-Out hype is pretty much done for, and several locations are now doing only mediocre levels of business. So that fact alone will probably deter them from expanding here anytime soon, let alone in this part of the country.

catch22
10-31-2013, 04:47 PM
Every In-N-Out I have visited in SoCal has a line of cars around the building and a line 10-15 deep inside no matter what time of day.

And Californians are migrating to OKC. So... Should do well if we got one.

OKCisOK4me
10-31-2013, 05:16 PM
Every In-N-Out I have visited in SoCal has a line of cars around the building and a line 10-15 deep inside no matter what time of day.

Looks like our fat numbers are gonna go back up. Thanks John Steinbeck!

bchris02
10-31-2013, 06:24 PM

Yeah if one came to OKC I have no doubt it would do well, but I really could care less if it came here or not. I guess I just don't quite get the hype. I've heard our own Sonic is pretty hyped in some other parts of the country that don't have it. If there was one burger joint I wish OKC had that it doesn't, I would say White Castle, only because it brings something unique to the table that other burger joints don't. Personally, I am really liking The Garage for burgers around here.

Jeepnokc
10-31-2013, 10:49 PM
I think it is good, but there are so many other local burger places I would rather eat at. If given the choice, I would rather have Tucker's, Nic's, Patty Wagon, Irma's or S&B's in that order over In and Out.

But none of them are open at 3am when a 3x3 animal style is really good!

shriekingviolet
11-04-2013, 01:41 AM
PSHHHTT! Recant that statement now, heathen!

But seriously, In-n-out is probably the best fast food burger I have ever had. It blows Braums, Five Guys, Whataburger, and Johnnies out of the water.

I really wish we had a few of them here.

I've only been to one (I made a point to stop by an In-n-Out near LAX last time I was in Cali), but my impression of In-n-Out burger was thoroughly 'meh.' The only things I liked about it were that they'd toast the bun if I asked (IMO, all burger buns should be toasted! Nothing is worse than soggy white bread) and that the lettuce and tomatoes were of good quality for fast food. But the patty part was barely better than that from any national burger chain in terms of flavor and juiciness. Braum's is much better IMO. My friend (who's from the east coast and grew up with different burger chains than I did) wasn't impressed either. It was good enough to be acceptable grub late at night, but I can't imagine driving out of my way to ever have it again. I didn't have my burger animal style, but I'm not all that fond of mustard so I can't imagine that would have made a difference for me.

corwin1968
11-05-2013, 07:19 AM
The only In-N-Out burger I've had was one my wife brought back from Dallas. I'm not a big traveler so for me it's part curiousity and part wanting the complete selection of In-N-Out/Five Guys/Smashburger joints. I still think a Sonic #2 Cheeseburger (mustard, lettuce, pickle, onion, tomato) is one of the best burgers around, when it's done well, which is increasingly hard to find. Sonic's QC has plummeted in the past 10 years or so. I just hope for some good restaurants in this area if the plans go thru.

Just a couple of months ago my wife and I were in Sam's on Memorial and true to their Wal-Mart heritage, they had about 1/4 of the open registers needed to service the people waiting in line. I told my wife "I bet if Costco ever comes here they will bury Sam's". Now I find this thread! I've never been to a Costco but I've heard many good things. Another store I've heard about but never experiences is Trader Joe's. I really want to check one of those out.

Bunty
11-07-2013, 09:14 AM

That's unbelievable, especially with an unappealing sounding fast food name like In-N-Out. A hamburger is a hamburger and can only be made so good. But then SoCal has far more people in it than all of Oklahoma.

bchris02
11-07-2013, 09:40 AM
That's unbelievable, especially with an unappealing sounding fast food name like In-N-Out. A hamburger is a hamburger and can only be made so good. But then SoCal has far more people in it than all of Oklahoma.

In-N-Out really sounds appropriate for a convenience store or gas station moreso than a fast food restaurant. I've never had In-N-Out so I can't comment on its awesomeness, but I do know the hype is nationwide.

MadMonk
11-10-2013, 09:13 PM
I had the same experience with In-N-Out on a few trips to Southern Cal. I wasn't really impressed by the burger. It was good, but nothing I would crave like some of my California coworkers seem to. But, the service was fast and friendly. On my last trip to Dallas I discovered there was an In-N-Out near my hotel so I tried it again. Same experience. However, there were no huge lines at this one at lunch time like there was in Orange County. It was busy, but not to the point of waiting forever for your chance to order.

Someone else mentioned The Garage. That place is my new favorite burger joint.

JarrodH
11-15-2013, 09:26 AM
In N Out will not be coming to OKC any time soon. Their business model is similar to that of braums. Each store is corporately owned and they will not build outside of a set radius of their distribution centers. In order for us to get one, Texas will have to greatly expand their locations and hope that a distribution center would be placed in Dallas.

Andrew4OU
11-15-2013, 09:49 AM
In N Out will not be coming to OKC any time soon. Their business model is similar to that of braums. Each store is corporately owned and they will not build outside of a set radius of their distribution centers. In order for us to get one, Texas will have to greatly expand their locations and hope that a distribution center would be placed in Dallas.

There is a distribution center in Dallas.

http://eater.com/uploads/innout-expansion-small.jpg

In-N-Out's New Dallas Distribution Center Means it Could Expand to Thirteen States - Eater Maps - Eater National (http://eater.com/archives/2011/03/14/innouts-dallas-distribution-center-means-it-can-expand-to-12-states.php)

JarrodH
11-15-2013, 10:00 AM
I stand corrected. I did not know they had built that yet. I still do not see them building here any time soon, I would love to see one though.

bchris02
11-15-2013, 11:01 AM
I still don't get what's so special about In-N-Out. If we are talking about a fast food burger, what makes it so superior to Sonic, Whataburger, Braums, Five Guys, etc? Is it the novelty of it being a California chain? I have to admit I have a special place in my own heart for White Castle but that is a burger that is truly different from all the competition.

Dustin
11-15-2013, 11:10 AM
I still don't get what's so special about In-N-Out. If we are talking about a fast food burger, what makes it so superior to Sonic, Whataburger, Braums, Five Guys, etc? Is it the novelty of it being a California chain? I have to admit I have a special place in my own heart for White Castle but that is a burger that is truly different from all the competition.

Have you ever been to In-N-Out Burger? It is head and shoulders above Sonic and Braums.

Pete
11-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Here are the main reasons people (especially here in California) love In-n-Out:

1. It's extremely fresh. Nothing ever frozen, high-quality beef, they cut the fries right in front of you.
2. It's inexpensive. You can get a cheeseburger, fries and drink for about $4. That's cheaper than McDonald's and just about everywhere else.
3. It's simple. Burgers, fries, drinks and shakes. That's about it.
4. It's friendly. They pay their people very well and demand not just good service, but that it be cheerful. It shows.
5. It's tasty. The burgers will not blow you away but they are darn good and usually it takes a while for people to truly appreciate the entire package.

When comparing burgers you really have to break them down into three categories:

1. Fast food: Drive-thru, mass produced, inexpensive. In-n-Out rules here.
2. Quick Service: No drive-thru but order at the counter and mid-priced. Tuckers, Five Guys, Smash Burger, etc.
3. Restaurant: Red Robin, Chili's, The Counter, RePUBlic, etc. Typically higher priced.

Dustin
11-15-2013, 11:46 AM
5. It's tasty. The burgers will not blow you away but they are darn good and usually it takes a while for people to truly appreciate the entire package.

Gordon Ramsay even raves about them. I read somewhere that while he was filming Hells Kitchen in LA, he went in, ate his cheeseburger, and then went through the drive through to get another one because he loved them so much. If Gordon Ramsay likes them, you know they are good.

Urban Pioneer
11-15-2013, 11:46 AM
I had it for the first time ever last month in LA. It was a great fast food experience. Tasted awesome.

traxx
11-15-2013, 01:03 PM

1. It's extremely fresh. Nothing ever frozen, high-quality beef, they cut the fries right in front of you.
2. It's inexpensive. You can get a cheeseburger, fries and drink for about $4. That's cheaper than McDonald's and just about everywhere else.
4. It's friendly. They pay their people very well and demand not just good service, but that it be cheerful. It shows.

When comparing burgers you really have to break them down into three categories:

2. Quick Service: No drive-thru but order at the counter and mid-priced. Tuckers, Five Guys, Smash Burger, etc.
3. Restaurant: Red Robin, Chili's, The Counter, RePUBlic, etc. Typically higher priced.

Thank you. I've never understood the love for In-N-Out. A burger can only be so good. I can see these things added together making a difference. If I lived near one, I'd probably eat there but I don't see me having the same devotion for the burgers than some people have for Apple products.

Roger S
11-15-2013, 01:22 PM
Tasted like a Sonic burger to me personally but I don't spend a lot of time wondering why people prefer one chain to another. I love White Castle but I know a lot of people who absolutely can't stand White Castle..... Just means more White Castle for me. ;+)

tuck
11-15-2013, 01:25 PM

Spot on!

mcca7596
11-15-2013, 02:09 PM
OK BBQ eater if it tasted like a sonic burger to you then you must not have gotten the spread, it's a thousand island type sauce. Sonic has nothing like it; did you ask for mayonnaise or mustard instead?

Jesseda
11-15-2013, 02:31 PM
OK BBQ eater if it tasted like a sonic burger to you then you must not have gotten the spread, it's a thousand island type sauce. Sonic has nothing like it; did you ask for mayonnaise or mustard instead?

reading this makes me so hungry for IN-N-OUT right now

Roger S
11-15-2013, 02:58 PM

It was about 5 years ago so I don't remember exactly what was on it... I do remember taking the first bite and thinking to myself "Hmmm.... Tastes like a Sonic Burger." ...... I don't recall any thousand island type condiment on it.

And I by no means thought it was a terrible burger. Would eat there if we had one here but I'd prefer a White Castle.

MadMonk
11-15-2013, 03:31 PM
I put an In-N-Out burger as better than Sonic, but not as good as Braum's. In terms of speed and friendly service, In-N-Out are head and shoulders above both.

Pete
11-15-2013, 03:43 PM
BTW, there are very few options at In-n-Out... No jalapenos, bacon, etc.

They also don't come up with a new pretzel-bun, chipotle-sauce gimmick every month.

They do have "animal style" (grilled with mustard, extra spread and grilled onions) but otherwise they serve a bun, hamburger patty, lettuce, tomato and onion with their unique sauce. That's pretty much it.

But considering those basics, they do it as well as you can for anywhere near their price point.

bradh
11-15-2013, 11:02 PM
Man I guess I just don't get it. I grew up in SE Texas, spent a few years on the west coast, and now live here. I found nothing special about In N Out.

soonerguru
11-15-2013, 11:25 PM
Man I guess I just don't get it. I grew up in SE Texas, spent a few years on the west coast, and now live here. I found nothing special about In N Out.

Not sure what your scale of comparison is, but IN-n-Out is to be compared with a fast-food burger, like McDonald's, etc. There is no comparison. It is heads and tails above that in food quality and taste. They use quality ingredients in their food, without fillers and overly processed stuff that will give you cancer like all the major chains use.

It's not "the best burger on earth," it's the "best fast-food burger made with quality ingredients."

bradh
11-15-2013, 11:33 PM
Not sure what your scale of comparison is, but IN-n-Out is to be compared with a fast-food burger, like McDonald's, etc. There is no comparison. It is heads and tails above that in food quality and taste. They use quality ingredients in their food, without fillers and overly processed stuff that will give you cancer like all the major chains use.

It's not "the best burger on earth," it's the "best fast-food burger made with quality ingredients."

My scale of comparison is a few posts earlier in the thread, Whataburger. I can't taste the difference in In N Out's "quality ingredients" over a standard Whataburger. I'd never compare it to McDonalds. I know what I'm getting when I eat those single cheeseburgers from the golden arches.

And come on, stepping out your front door and breathing gives you cancer these days ;)

MWCGuy
11-16-2013, 01:52 AM
I have had good burgers at just about every place that makes them. Some of my favorites are bowling alley snack bars. They usually make a good greasy cheeseburger. South Robinson Auto Auction made a good greasy burger in their snack bar back when they were in business. A burger is next impossible to screw up unless you serve it like Bricktown Brewery (Stale bun with a patty that taste like leather.)

mikesimpsons82
11-16-2013, 08:02 AM

Shake Shack puts In-N-Out to shame.

ryne
11-16-2013, 06:50 PM

Pete pretty much summed it up perfectly. I have been to In-N-Out many times and can't get enough of it. I also took my girlfriend there recently and she went in with high expectations (my fault) and she was very impressed. They are not the fanciest or the most expensive, but for a quick, cheap burger it can't be beat.

OKC_Chipper
11-16-2013, 08:16 PM
Lived in DFW area this summer and I can tell you that In and Out is far and away better than Whataburger. By far my favorite fast food burger.

adaniel
11-16-2013, 10:03 PM
My scale of comparison is a few posts earlier in the thread, Whataburger. I can't taste the difference in In N Out's "quality ingredients" over a standard Whataburger. I'd never compare it to McDonalds. I know what I'm getting when I eat those single cheeseburgers from the golden arches.

And come on, stepping out your front door and breathing gives you cancer these days ;)

In-n-out is overrated. Not bad, but at the end of the day its a fast food burger. It thrives in a place like California, which really does not have a beef/burger culture like we do in this part of the world. I think part of their following is a "grass is greener" effect. They do decent business in their Texas locations due to all the California transplants and late night drunkies needing a quick bite, but I know it's nowhere close to the drive thru lines wrapping around the block like when they first opened.

I will say I know a native of OC now living in Plano who says their burgers are not the same as they are in CA, but I digress. I have had one in San Diego as well as one in Allen TX and it was the same: fresh but a little bland beef, limp lettuce, and stale fries. In terms of chains, I would argue that it's no better than Whataburger and probably inferior to Five Guys. And compared to the local places its not even a contest.

bradh
11-16-2013, 10:39 PM
Five Guys really is good. I never got that craze either until they opened here. The burger is good (better than Whataburger and In N Out) but the real kicker is those damn cajun fries. I can appreciate a place that takes such an ownership in the quality of their fries.

Bunty
11-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Lived in DFW area this summer and I can tell you that In and Out is far and away better than Whataburger. By far my favorite fast food burger.

Is it also better than Wendy's?

metro
11-17-2013, 12:31 AM
Thank you. I've never understood the love for In-N-Out. A burger can only be so good. I can see these things added together making a difference. If I lived near one, I'd probably eat there but I don't see me having the same devotion for the burgers than some people have for Apple products.

You must not have eaten at Nic's.

metro
11-17-2013, 12:34 AM

Totally agree, comparison wise, In and Out is most similar to McDonalds as far as type of burger and taste, with the exception being you can tell In and Out uses fresh ingredients and not McFillers and McPreservatives; but taste is still similar, just superior. As far as "animal style" it's not mustard folks, it's a thousand island dressing, just like McDonalds Big Mac.

adaniel
11-17-2013, 12:36 AM
Five Guys really is good. I never got that craze either until they opened here. The burger is good (better than Whataburger and In N Out) but the real kicker is those damn cajun fries. I can appreciate a place that takes such an ownership in the quality of their fries.

Five Guys fries=bomb. I typically don't like thick fries as they are prone to getting soggy, but the flavoring they use is phenomenal.

mikesimpsons82
11-17-2013, 05:29 AM
You must not have eaten at Nic's.
Doubtful because it doesn't sound like that person absolutely hated burgers. Leaving Nic's they would think burgers are supposed to be bland and taste medicre and may never want a burger again. That is, of course, they don't go into it thinking that they're supposed to think it's good so they do anyway, despite how terrible it is.

Jeepnokc
11-17-2013, 07:15 AM
Totally agree, comparison wise, In and Out is most similar to McDonalds as far as type of burger and taste, with the exception being you can tell In and Out uses fresh ingredients and not McFillers and McPreservatives; but taste is still similar, just superior. As far as "animal style" it's not mustard folks, it's a thousand island dressing, just like McDonalds Big Mac.

[I]t is actually both. Here is the description from Wiki

[/I"Animal Style" is one of the most popular "secret" styles; in addition to the standard toppings, Animal Style burgers include pickles, extra spread, grilled onions, and mustard fried onto each meat patty. "3×3" (pronounced 3-by-3), "4×4", or variations of "m" × "c", refers to a burger with a varied amount of meat patties, "m", and slices of cheese, "c": e.g. a burger with six meat patties and three slices of cheese is a "6×3". The In-N-Out "secret menu" section of the website only mentions the "3x3" and "4x4", which are registered trademarks of the company.[3]]

corwin1968
11-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Nice to see that my burger question as spawned it's very own thread.

I have been aware of In-N-Out's distribution center policy and given that they are in the Dallas area it's only a matter of time before they expand into Oklahoma. We're practically next door to Dallas in terms of the transportation industry.

MadMonk
11-19-2013, 11:23 AM
I think the whole mystique around In-N-Out is that we don't have one here. I used to be the same way about missing Krispy Kreme donuts (the best ever) until we got one of those. I'm still that way about getting to drink a Cheerwine (http://www.cheerwine.com/). Every time I go back "home" I have to bring a case or two back with me. :wink:

Mississippi Blues
11-19-2013, 11:41 AM
I think the whole mystique around In-N-Out is that we don't have one here. I used to be the same way about missing Krispy Kreme donuts (the best ever) until we got one of those. I'm still that way about getting to drink a Cheerwine (http://www.cheerwine.com/). Every time I go back "home" I have to bring a case or two back with me. :wink:

I don't think it's because they're not here because you hear people rave about them even in the cities they're located in. My cousin lives in Phoenix & she loves In-N-Out.

soonerguru
11-19-2013, 02:09 PM
Shake Shack puts In-N-Out to shame.

Oh yes, I agree. Again, a different animal, however. Shake Shack is not a mass-market McDonald's-type place. It's a special hamburger joint. It's an institution. Again, In-n-Out is nowhere near the best, but it is very good for what it is.

CaptDave
11-19-2013, 03:51 PM

No way to tell you are from North Carolina!

Pete
11-19-2013, 04:13 PM
I wonder how In-n-Out is doing in Texas?

bchris02
11-19-2013, 07:08 PM

Bricktown Candy Co has Cheerwine, or at least they did a year ago last time I was in there.

ThomPaine
11-20-2013, 02:24 PM

Pop's has Cheerwine too...

MadMonk
11-20-2013, 04:09 PM
No way to tell you are from North Carolina!
So glad you didn't besmirch my reputation as being from that other Carolina. :D I can't claim it as birthplace, but it's where I spent the majority of my youth, earlier around Fayetteville and then later near Charlotte. Lots of summers spent in Wilmington and Myrtle Beach. Great place to be a kid.

Pop's has Cheerwine too...
I discovered this fact just this past summer. It was a nice surprise, but it's a bit pricey. Still, at least I can get my fix a little more conveniently when needed.

Plutonic Panda
06-08-2014, 12:09 AM
I was looking on their website Restaurant Locations - In-N-Out Burger (http://www.in-n-out.com/locations.asp) just now and it seems they only have locations in Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah, and Texas. That would say to me, they're entering the biggest markets and slowly expanding outwards from them. Naturally, I would think Oklahoma is next up to be the next state to get one, unless of course, they decide to enter Florida or New York first. It just seems Oklahoma and New Mexico would likely be the next logical expansion for them and then perhaps Florida and Georgia; then they can work their way up the east coast.

soonerguru
06-08-2014, 12:19 AM
I was looking on their website Restaurant Locations - In-N-Out Burger (http://www.in-n-out.com/locations.asp) just now and it seems they only have locations in Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah, and Texas. That would say to me, they're entering the biggest markets and slowly expanding outwards from them. Naturally, I would think Oklahoma is next up to be the next state to get one, unless of course, they decide to enter Florida or New York first. It just seems Oklahoma and New Mexico would likely be the next logical expansion for them and then perhaps Florida and Georgia; then they can work their way up the east coast.

It is somewhat shocking to me that any burger chain wouldn't put Oklahoma at the top of the list. We must ingest more burgers per capita than just about any other state.

Plutonic Panda
06-08-2014, 01:00 AM
It is somewhat shocking to me that any burger chain wouldn't put Oklahoma at the top of the list. We must ingest more burgers per capita than just about any other state.Haha... that's true as well :p