View Full Version : In-n-Out Burger

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

BDP
09-03-2015, 11:26 AM
If you didn't order a Crave Case... You ordered wrong! ..... White Castle really has no in between it seems.... The response I usually get from people that have tried it are "I LOVE WHITE CASTLE!" or "How can you eat that crap???"...... I never hear "Oh, it's alright." or "It's a decent burger.".

Are the crave case burgers different than when you just order them regularly.

I'll go ahead and be the first person to say "eh, they're alright". I went away very indifferent. But if, like In n Out, they have some off menu things that makes them better, I'd love to know.

Roger S
09-03-2015, 12:10 PM
Are the crave case burgers different than when you just order them regularly.

No... It's just the right quantity to order. Any less than that quantity is the wrong order. ;+)

When I fly to Michigan to see friends up there. They meet me at the airport with a Crave Case.

poe
05-19-2016, 09:11 PM
Just read that Lubbock is getting an In-N-Out Burger at their West End development.

warreng88
06-29-2016, 10:18 AM
I heard a rumor that Hal Smith bought the franchise rights to In-N-Out Burger in Oklahoma about ten years ago so he is the only one who could open one up. He then proceeded to open The Garage in OKC several years ago, which has been absolutely killing it, leading me to believe he will not be opening up an INO anytime soon. Not sure if it is true or not, but that is what a message board is for :)

sooner88
06-29-2016, 10:19 AM
I heard a rumor that Hal Smith bought the franchise rights to In-N-Out Burger in Oklahoma about ten years ago so he is the only one who could open one up. He then proceeded to open The Garage in OKC several years ago, which has been absolutely killing it, leading me to believe he will not be opening up an INO anytime soon. Not sure if it is true or not, but that is what a message board is for :)

I don't believe that In-N-Out is a franchise... I'd think that the Garage and In-N-Out's models were different enough for both to succeed also.

Pete
06-29-2016, 10:20 AM
Yes, completely family owned.

warreng88
06-29-2016, 10:29 AM
I don't believe that In-N-Out is a franchise... I'd think that the Garage and In-N-Out's models were different enough for both to succeed also.

I didn't know that about it not being a franchise. I assumed it was, like McDonald's or BK. I agree on the different models.

corwin1968
06-29-2016, 12:35 PM
For a fascinating read, check the local library (or a good used books website) and read "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser. It chronicles the history of fast food restaurant in the U.S., beginning with Carl Karcher of Carl's Jr. fame. The book is very critical of the fast food industry but he does spend time discussing In-N-Out, and holds them up as a bright spot in the industry. The last few posts here made me think of this and I thought some might find it interesting.

Zuplar
06-29-2016, 01:09 PM
In-N-Out is known for being a fantastic fast food company to work for, as well as providing a great product at a reasonable price. Anytime I'm near one, I always pick it if I need something quick.

Pete
06-29-2016, 01:24 PM
Almost always, their employees seem very happy to be there.

Can't think of another fast food chain where this is even remotely true.

sooner88
06-29-2016, 01:50 PM
The first time I went was in California. They had the minimum hourly rates / benefits and other employee highlights on every tray (all which seemed above and beyond for a fast food restaurant).

dankrutka
06-29-2016, 02:02 PM
For a fascinating read, check the local library (or a good used books website) and read "Fast Food Nation" by Eric Schlosser. It chronicles the history of fast food restaurant in the U.S., beginning with Carl Karcher of Carl's Jr. fame. The book is very critical of the fast food industry but he does spend time discussing In-N-Out, and holds them up as a bright spot in the industry. The last few posts here made me think of this and I thought some might find it interesting.

I second this recommendation. Insightful read.

Anonymous.
06-29-2016, 02:12 PM
Almost always, their employees seem very happy to be there.

Can't think of another fast food chain where this is even remotely true.

ChickFilA does a good job at - at least making their employees seem happy to be there... lol

soonermike81
06-30-2016, 08:31 AM
Chic-fil-A employee definitely seem happy to be there. More importantly, they seem to offer far superior customer service, IMO, compared to other fast food chains.

FighttheGoodFight
06-30-2016, 09:49 AM
ChickFilA does a good job at - at least making their employees seem happy to be there... lol

They start them out at $8 an hour. Honestly I would have killed for that being a 16 year old only finding jobs for minimum wage.

Zuplar
06-30-2016, 10:03 AM
I agree I think Chickfila is probably the only other fast food place where employees really seem to enjoy working there. But I also think there is some prestige, especially in the fast food industry with places like Chickfila and In-N-Out, so they get to be a little pickier when choosing people to work there, which helps.

traxx
06-30-2016, 10:21 AM
In-N-Out and Chick-fil-A are both privately held, family companies with a Christian background and each of them have a three syllable, hyphenated name. Coincidence?

Zuplar
06-30-2016, 11:07 AM
In-N-Out and Chick-fil-A are both privately held, family companies with a Christian background and each of them have a three syllable, hyphenated name. Coincidence?

I don't believe in coincidences.

Urbanized
07-02-2016, 09:26 AM
They start them out at $8 an hour. Honestly I would have killed for that being a 16 year old only finding jobs for minimum wage.
But today's minimum wage is $7.25/hr...

Uptowner
07-02-2016, 10:24 AM
$8 an hour obviously isn't a living wage. But I've experienced the well oiled machine that is in-n-out. And I've got to agree with others that they always seem happy. I'm betting it all comes down to organization. This is your task, complete it, and get a check. I worked all kinds of fast food and pizza as a kid and it was the disorganization that turned me sour. "Go organize the freezer because it hasn't been done in a week." "Steam the grease filters so we don't have to hire the pros."

I didn't mind deep cleaning but those types of jobs often come with bizarre and disgruntling requests to do work that you aren't being paid appropriately for. As a grocery sacker I was once ordered to scrub and sanitize the butchers meat locker (while the meat was put in the produce walk-in, gross!!!). I got reconstituted blood + bleach on my shoes and pants, ruining them and costing 10x the $4.15/hr wage I earned. I'm not at all bashful by stating that it was a homeland. But I worked 3 other grocers before moving to fast food and it was a common practice.

HOT ROD
07-02-2016, 07:32 PM
Guys, In-N-Out has a major competitor known as CaliBurger (https://caliburger.com/). :wink:

http://s3-media3.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/d35YSw2LiWzuqEJbamUNlA/348s.jpghttp://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/SEPwGmGGJpiPyZz8J7ecAQ/o.jpg

Coincidentally, CaliBurger is based in Seattle and is sort of a response to In-N-Out NOT locating up here. They are expanding rapidly and appears to desire to go where In-N-Out is not.

Perhaps we should start a campaign to get them to open a location in the inner downtown core and OCU/Plaza, UCO, and OU areas? And notice they CaliBurger FRANCHISES!!!!

corwin1968
07-02-2016, 09:06 PM
Wife's on the way home from Dallas with some In-N-Out burgers!! Better several hours old than not at all!! Last time they packed each vegetable topping seperately so it didn't get all soggy and mushy. That's service.

soonermike81
07-03-2016, 12:14 AM
Am the only one that thinks In n Out is slightly overrated? Im a Fatburger guy.

Thomas Vu
07-03-2016, 12:18 AM

I'm with you in that it's overrated, more than slightly though. People like the price, or at least it's the first thing everybody jumps on when defending it.

Ginkasa
07-03-2016, 06:21 AM
I'm with you in that it's overrated, more than slightly though. People like the price, or at least it's the first thing everybody jumps on when defending it.

I've only seen people refer to In-N-Out's "price" when its compared to burger joints that are more "fast casual" or even sit down restaurants rather than other fast food joints. More often I see people refer to the quality and freshness of their ingredients and the pleasantness of their employees.

Edited to add: If you go back through the thread, you'll find this exact conversation has been played through multiple times whenever someone revives the thread with a rumor or whatever.

1. Post spreading a rumor about In-N-Out coming or lamenting that it hasn't come yet
2. Posts agreeing with the lamentations and destroying whatever rumor is being spread
3. General agreement that In-N-Out is awesome
4. Someone posting a "am I the only one who think In-N-Out isn't that great?" post
5. People agreeing that In-N-Out isn't that awesome
6. People explaining why In-N-Out is indeed awesome (usually Pete)
7. Thread sits silent for several months or longer until step 1 repeats

Interestingly, we seem to have lost 17 pages of this cycle at some point.

soonermike81
07-03-2016, 07:07 AM
I've only seen people refer to In-N-Out's "price" when its compared to burger joints that are more "fast casual" or even sit down restaurants rather than other fast food joints. More often I see people refer to the quality and freshness of their ingredients and the pleasantness of their employees.

Edited to add: If you go back through the thread, you'll find this exact conversation has been played through multiple times whenever someone revives the thread with a rumor or whatever.

1. Post spreading a rumor about In-N-Out coming or lamenting that it hasn't come yet
2. Posts agreeing with the lamentations and destroying whatever rumor is being spread
3. General agreement that In-N-Out is awesome
4. Someone posting a "am I the only one who think In-N-Out isn't that great?" post
5. People agreeing that In-N-Out isn't that awesome
6. People explaining why In-N-Out is indeed awesome (usually Pete)
7. Thread sits silent for several months or longer until step 1 repeats

Interestingly, we seem to have lost 17 pages of this cycle at some point.

Lmao, that sounds about right! And I think I am number 4 every time

Tundra
07-03-2016, 07:58 AM
i'm with you in that it's overrated, more than slightly though. People like the price, or at least it's the first thing everybody jumps on when defending it.

"highly"

Pete
07-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Those that think it's overrated or just not that good are in the very extreme minority.

I was at first indifferent towards it but then learned how I liked my burger cooked and was soon hooked.

It's high-quality, fresh, inexpensive and served by people who are generally happy to be there. For fast food, that's about as good as it gets.

All that said, it's a fast food hamburger and there is only so much that can be expected.

Tundra
07-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Those that think it's overrated or just not that good are in the very extreme minority.

I was at first indifferent towards it but then learned how I liked my burger cooked and was soon hooked.

It's high-quality, fresh, inexpensive and served by people who are generally happy to be there. For fast food, that's about as good as it gets.

All that said, it's a fast food hamburger and there is only so much that can be expected.

I think its the best "fast food burger" out there, until I had ever went , I thought they were more of a sit down and eat a burger kinda place, never new they were fast food. And the fact they serve shakes is a real plus.... The one beef I have with most the burger places around here, is they don't serve shakes, with exceptions of Tuckers or fast food places....

My expectations were higher and I was kinda let down to find out it was a fast food burger... the plus is, its easy on the wallet..

Thomas Vu
07-03-2016, 10:36 AM
The service is great, first time I went they learned it was my first time there and even delivered my tray similar to a waiter would (or whataburger). Also asked if I needed salt, pepper, ketchup, and/or napkins (also similar to whataburger). While my lady friend had to go pick hers up hahaha.

Motley
07-03-2016, 11:12 AM
If you look at the overall package, In-n-Out is hard to beat. However, I'm a mustard on burger type with a side of o rings, so the Thousand Island style sauce at In-N-Out doesn't hold an attraction to me, and they don't have rings. Still for the price and the fact it is a drive-through, it's a good burger.

If in So. Cal, try The Habit. It is a darn good burger, and they have chicken or tri-tip sandwiches, salads and rings. Not a drive-through but is fast and casual.

josh
07-03-2016, 09:05 PM

This can not be true as In and Out does not franchise and is agilely family owned.

Jersey Boss
07-03-2016, 11:06 PM
He then proceeded to open The Garage in OKC several years ago

In the interest of historical accuracy, The GARAGE launched in Norman, not OKC.

Uptowner
07-05-2016, 10:22 AM
3x3 mustard fried, medium rare with grilled onions, hold the salad. Animal fries...and if I've sufficiently starved myself long enough before entering, a Neapolitan shake.

Those arguing the holy righteousness of the in-n-out are either haters or un-initiated. It's easy to say "whataburger is better" when you have a dozen in your town and live 200 miles from the nearest INO. As far as garage S&B is concerned. meh. Tucker's got 2,000% better when they switched buns (which I'm 90% sure are the brioche from Ben E Keith) stopped using grass fed gristle meat, and started to fry the burger atop the onions rather than on the side. Tucker's is my go-to for the moment.

But the fact you can do in-n-out drive through rockets them to the front.

Pete
07-05-2016, 10:30 AM
Tucker's has become my favorite burger in OKC.

Consistently great.

Ginkasa
07-05-2016, 10:31 AM
3x3 mustard fried, medium rare with grilled onions, hold the salad. Animal fries...and if I've sufficiently starved myself long enough before entering, a Neapolitan shake.

Those arguing the holy righteousness of the in-n-out are either haters or un-initiated. It's easy to say "whataburger is better" when you have a dozen in your town and live 200 miles from the nearest INO. As far as garage S&B is concerned. meh. Tucker's got 2,000% better when they switched buns (which I'm 90% sure are the brioche from Ben E Keith) stopped using grass fed gristle meat, and started to fry the burger atop the onions rather than on the side. Tucker's is my go-to for the moment.

But the fact you can do in-n-out drive through rockets them to the front.

On the rare occasion I get to enjoy In-N-Out, the drive thru is crazy backed up. They clearly have a good system to handle it, but I always prefer to step inside and order at the counter.

Uptowner
07-05-2016, 10:35 AM
The drive through often has a couple kids taking orders and swiping cards on a mobile device. They even bring the trays out if your order is up before you reach the window. I've not seen this practice at any of the Texan locations though.

traxx
07-05-2016, 12:05 PM
And the fact they serve shakes is a real plus.... The one beef I have with most the burger places around here, is they don't serve shakes, with exceptions of Tuckers or fast food places....

Whaaaaa?!

Braum's. Sonic has a whole ad campaign based around their shakes. Johnnie's, Steak 'n Shake, Red Robin...and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Bullbear
07-05-2016, 12:08 PM
Whaaaaa?!

Braum's. Sonic has a whole ad campaign based around their shakes. Johnnie's, Steak 'n Shake, Red Robin...and those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Hell at S&B you can get a BOOZY shake with your burger.. WIN!

traxx
07-05-2016, 12:12 PM
$8 an hour obviously isn't a living wage.

And therein lies the problem.

It used to be that fast food jobs and other similar jobs were done by teenagers so they could have money to go on dates and go to the mall. Somewhere along the way, people got it in their head that punching up a burger and coke on a register and asking if you wanted fries with that should demand a living wage. Not every job can be a living wage. And there's a lot of jobs out there that were never meant to be living wage jobs. Gathering up the shopping carts at Walmart was never meant to support a family of four.

AP
07-05-2016, 12:43 PM
Yep, all the teenagers had those jobs and that's why all the fast food restaurants were closed until 4pm every evening waiting for those kids to get out of school.

jerrywall
07-05-2016, 12:51 PM

It used to be that fast food jobs and other similar jobs were done by teenagers so they could have money to go on dates and go to the mall. Somewhere along the way, people got it in their head that punching up a burger and coke on a register and asking if you wanted fries with that should demand a living wage. Not every job can be a living wage. And there's a lot of jobs out there that were never meant to be living wage jobs. Gathering up the shopping carts at Walmart was never meant to support a family of four.

Honestly, that $8 is probably part time starting pay. For example, McDonald's locally start at $9.25 and up for full time positions. Not saying that's great wage, but it's higher.

jerrywall
07-05-2016, 12:53 PM
Yep, all the teenagers had those jobs and that's why all the fast food restaurants were closed until 4pm every evening waiting for those kids to get out of school.

As mentioned in my previous post, the full time daytime workers at fast food tend to be paid higher than the starting part time evening and weekend wage. Even going back to the early 90's, I knew folks making 10+ an hour on opening shifts at McDonald's.

AP
07-05-2016, 01:03 PM
The fact of the matter is ~10% of the working population makes under $10 an hour, and they are not all teenagers.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/23/news/economy/15-million-american-workers-earn-10-dollars-or-less-an-hour/

Tundra
07-05-2016, 04:29 PM
I start people out at $13 per hour and can't get anyone to apply, or if they do they don't have a drivers license....it's pathetic people just don't want to work

AP
07-06-2016, 07:20 AM
Just because I'm interested, what year did you start working and what did you make?

soonermike81
07-06-2016, 10:13 AM
Just because I'm interested, what year did you start working and what did you make?

Is this a question for the whole forum? If so, I didn't have my first paying job till college. Grew up working for various family businesses; no pay except room and board and I got my brother's car handed down to me. But in college, I got a Summer internship after my sophomore year that paid $13/hour and got a company car as well. Pretty sweet deal for my first paying job

FighttheGoodFight
07-06-2016, 10:19 AM
Started work at a ice cream join for $5 bucks an hour at 16. Saved up enough to buy my first car which was a 1998 ford explorer sport. Dang car lasted me until I was 23 with only new tires and oil changes. Sometimes I miss that old car.

Edit: Mid 2000s

Pete
07-06-2016, 10:25 AM
At age 15, I worked summers as a maintenance man at a hotel near I-40 & Meridian.

I still have a pay stub: $2.25 / hour. But that was in 1976, and would equate to $9.50 now.

Paid for my first car -- a 1970 Mustang -- before I even turned 16.

I had a bunch of odd jobs before this, including throwing papers for the Oklahoman & Times, which I soon realized was a complete exploitation of kids with no other job options. Threw both the morning and evening papers in bitter cold and scorching heat; getting up at 5AM every day before school And I think I made about $80 a month, which equated to well less than $1 / hour.

jerrywall
07-06-2016, 10:38 AM
My first paying job was selling newspapers for the Edmond Sun, then eventually as a paperboy. Taught me tons about owning/running my own business, because it was structured that way. We "purchased" the papers on credit, delivered them, then collected subscription fees and paid for the papers monthly, keeping any profit and tips. If you were stupid and blew the money you collected before paying for the papers, they'd not let you get more papers until you were current. At the age of 13/14 this was a real education. I did this until I was 16, then started working at McDonald's in 1991, for $4.25 an hour (on Broadway in Edmond, when it was still there at 8th street.) Bought my first car cash as well, a couple of months after turning 16. By the time I was 18 I was making $9 an hour, and by the time I was 21 I was working at Taco Mayo as a manager, and purchased my first house in Edmond. Of course, I didn't job hop, and I put in plenty of hours. Picked up side jobs in my spare time as well (landscaping, lawn mowing, etc).

Uptowner
07-06-2016, 01:25 PM
1993 age 13 as an office gopher for $3/hr plus free lunches. Once of legal age - grocery sacker, pizza, burgers, braums, fry cook, and auto parts salesman all for $4.15 federal minimum.

It took me 2 years at that rate to buy my 1970 mustang. A 429 boss clone with 4 on the floor and the rev limiter removed, it only took a week before I was banned from the high school parking lot. I ended up trading down for a Honda because I had to start working at o'reilly's for discounted parts, and even then the $5 bucks/hr they paid me wasn't enough to keep the old girl running.

rizzo
07-06-2016, 06:58 PM

Oh yes. Give me Fatburger any day over in/out.

stick47
07-06-2016, 07:20 PM
About 1961 or 62 at Sonic. I was the kitchen flunky and made 50 cents an hour.
I like Freddys Steakburger restauants. Have yet to see one where there weren't twice the number of workers in there than needed. I don't know what the pay is but kudos to Freddy for employing tons of school kids.

ctchandler
07-06-2016, 07:42 PM
I'm an old guy, so for a lot of you, this will be hard to relate to. I delivered papers for the Oklahoma Journal and I don't remember the pay, then, I sold donuts to pay for my Boy Scout Jamboree (1957) trip. The first job I remember the pay for was as a sack boy at Humpty Dumpty's for fifty cents an hour. I was promoted to the produce department and got a ten cent raise. Then I went on the harvest and made really good money. I worked for a privately owned Phillip's 66 station for $25 a week. Finally, I worked for the board of education maintenance for $1.25. Joined the U. S. Navy at $78 per month. As an IT professional, I made close to $100,000 when I retired 12 years ago.
C. T.

ljbab728
07-06-2016, 08:46 PM
My first paying work was for my father at our family farm making $.25 an hour for many different things. My first "non family" full time job was for a bank in the early 70's making $400.00 per month.

traxx
07-07-2016, 08:07 AM
My first job was a summer job working as a yard boy at a local apartment complex. Pretty much anything that needed to be done was my job. I was fourteen and got paid a little over $4 an hour. I worked 40 hour weeks because my dad made me. So while the other kids were out swimming and playing, I was working. I did that for 3 summers before taking a job as a sacker at the grocery store. That afforded me more time with my friends but less money. But since it was part time I was able to work it during school as well.

baralheia
07-07-2016, 03:29 PM

Oh, yes, I absolutely remember when FDR established the minimum wage solely to give teens entry level jobs so that they can have some spending cash and get work experience.

Erm... Actually, no, he didn't say that. At all. Not even close. What he actually said was:

Pete
07-07-2016, 03:37 PM
Yes, the bottom line is that the huge percentage of minimum wage jobs are staffed by adults and many of those are providing for others as well.

And a lot of those people are living and working in places much more expensive than this part of the country.

Soonerinfiniti
07-07-2016, 03:57 PM
In early 2015 there was talk of an In N Out location at the Rayzor Ranch commercial development in Denton. Anybody heard anything about this? I would love for them to start moving up I-35 toward Oklahoma!!!

turnpup
07-07-2016, 05:23 PM
My first job at age 14 was being the janitor for my dad's school administration office. It paid around $4 per hour, when the minimum wage at that time was $3.35. Back then, people still smoked cigarettes at board meetings, so I remember having to empty and clean dirty ash trays. I did that all through high school, and also worked part-time for a year or so at a local jewelry store.

When I got to college in Dallas, I was thrilled to get a job at Bloomingdale's that paid $5.50 an hour. The minimum wage was still $3.35. I worked all the way through college so I could pay for an apartment in the summer and not have to go home to (what was then) boring Oklahoma. Most of the jobs were grunt work but they paid the bills. Clerk at Nutri System, cashier at Dress Barn, clerical work for a guy in some business I can't even remember.

The most remarkable job was the summer after my first year of college. Pepsi was doing a modern-day version of the Pepsi Challenge taste test and was hiring kids from college to travel all over the DFW metro and operate the challenge. They paid $15 per hour, plus overtime (minimum wage still $3.35). Most weeks we clocked at least 50 hours. What a windfall that was!