View Full Version : In-n-Out Burger

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Jeepnokc
06-08-2014, 07:54 AM
I was looking on their website Restaurant Locations - In-N-Out Burger (http://www.in-n-out.com/locations.asp) just now and it seems they only have locations in Arizona, Nevada, California, Utah, and Texas. That would say to me, they're entering the biggest markets and slowly expanding outwards from them. Naturally, I would think Oklahoma is next up to be the next state to get one, unless of course, they decide to enter Florida or New York first. It just seems Oklahoma and New Mexico would likely be the next logical expansion for them and then perhaps Florida and Georgia; then they can work their way up the east coast.

They do not freeze anything and thus their expansion is tied to their warehouse/distribution locations. They do not open up anywhere that they are not within a certain distance of the distribution center. Once they opened a distribution center in DFW, that opened up that area. OKC is within the distance (I think it is 500 miles) but looking at Wiki, it appears they are moving south as they have opened stores last year in Austin. In 2014, they announced they have opened in San Antonio

Zuplar
06-09-2014, 11:42 AM
They do not freeze anything and thus their expansion is tied to their warehouse/distribution locations. They do not open up anywhere that they are not within a certain distance of the distribution center. Once they opened a distribution center in DFW, that opened up that area. OKC is within the distance (I think it is 500 miles) but looking at Wiki, it appears they are moving south as they have opened stores last year in Austin. In 2014, they announced they have opened in San Antonio

This is what I've always heard. I do think that the DFW facility will mean they eventually open up in OKC. Just might be later rather than sooner.

Pete
06-09-2014, 11:53 AM
For the longest time, they serviced all the restaurants from one distribution center in Southern California, including far north Cali, about 500 miles away.

However, I'm not so sure they are going to expand rapidly in a bunch of different states. They are only in five: CA, AZ, NV, UT and now TX.

In fact, in Texas, they are only in DFW and a few locations in Austin.

The good news is that OKC is almost the exact same distance their new distribution center as Austin.

josh
06-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Two are under construction in San Antonio right now. Inside sources have said over a dozen will be built in the next two-three years in the SA metro area.

adaniel
06-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Just total ancedotal observations on my part.

I can't think In-n-Out corporate is too happy with the performance of their DFW stores. Every one I have driven past is usually empty. A big part of this is probably because they overbuilt them. And they have curtailed their growth considerably. By now they were supposed to be in all Big 4 Texas cities, and they haven't made it to Houston and only now opeing in SA.

Frankly I find them to be highly overrated...trust me you are not missing anything. It could just be the tastes in this part of the country are different.

Pete
06-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Two are under construction in San Antonio right now. Inside sources have said over a dozen will be built in the next two-three years in the SA metro area.

Are you sure? They are not listed on In-an-Out's "coming soon" page.

But if true, of course San Antonio is farther from their distribution center than OKC.

Pete
06-09-2014, 12:04 PM
The company has said that there's a policy of only allowing new locations to be within 500 miles from the distribution center — with the very respectable claims of consistency and freshness and whatnot — but the Baldwin Park, CA facility supplies a branch all the way out in Centerville, Utah, 685 miles away.

Since this was posted a few years ago, In-n-Out has opened facilities in Utah, NoCal, and Phoenix.

soonermike81
06-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Frankly I find them to be highly overrated...trust me you are not missing anything. It could just be the tastes in this part of the country are different.

I agree 100%. I tried them in Vegas several years, and was a little disappointed. When they opened up in DFW, decided to give them another go, and it didn't get close to wowing me. Burgers are decent for fast food burgers, but nothing that blew me away. Their infamous Animal Fries were a mess, and extremely overrated. I can't recall, but it did seem a little expensive for fast food as well.

Pete
06-09-2014, 02:00 PM
In-n-Out can be an acquired taste.

Their burgers won't change your life, but for fast food they are extremely fresh with quality ingredients at a very inexpensive price.

By far the best fast food burger IMO and cheaper than almost all of them. Plus, the whole operation is run amazingly well with fantastic service.

If there is a better burger around for $2, I'd like to know about it.

josh
06-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Are you sure? They are not listed on In-an-Out's "coming soon" page.

But if true, of course San Antonio is farther from their distribution center than OKC.

Yes, very sure.

Here's my post (http://www.okctalk.com/other-communities/35797-san-antonio-%7C-deep-heart-9.html#post762596) in the San Antonio thread detailing In-N-Out's confirmation of entering the San Antonio market.

They've since demo'd a three story building in Windcrest where their restaurant will be built. At their Alamo Ranch location they have applied for all their permits.

Pete
06-09-2014, 04:55 PM
^

Awesome.

Great news for SA and bodes well for OKC.

Plutonic Panda
06-09-2014, 05:50 PM
I sent an email asking for them to open an OKC location and received this response.

Dear Mr. Campbell Sadeghy:

Thank you for your e-mail. Our customers have made In-N-Out BurgerŪ the Company it is today, and we sincerely appreciate hearing from you.

We would also like to thank you for your suggestion to open a location in the metro area of Oklahoma City, OK. We plan on expanding as far as we can, and particularly into areas in which our customers have expressed interest. As such, we are happy to let our Real Estate Department know that you are anxious to have an In-N-Out BurgerŪ in your area!

Thank you again for contacting us.

Sincerely,

Kirsten

josh
06-09-2014, 08:53 PM
^

Awesome.

Great news for SA and bodes well for OKC.

I know they've said their next market will be Houston, so for the immediate future they seem to be concentrating on Texas.

Zuplar
06-10-2014, 07:32 AM
I sent an email asking for them to open an OKC location and received this response.

It's a start. I'm sure you aren't the first and won't be the last, but sometimes seeing a trend will push them in the direction of seriously considering a store.

warreng88
06-10-2014, 07:40 AM
As much as I enjoy a good In-N-Out burger when we go to Dallas, has anyone ever tried Freddy's and gotten their california style sauce? It is not exactly like INO, but pretty darn close.

Tigerguy
06-10-2014, 01:55 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the only true In-n-Out is the one outside of LAX. I've found that the sights and sounds make the burgers taste even better. :)

warreng88
06-10-2014, 02:14 PM
As far as I'm concerned, the only true In-n-Out is the one outside of LAX. I've found that the sights and sounds make the burgers taste even better. :)

I didn't know smog could seep into meat...

ctchandler
06-10-2014, 03:13 PM
Pete,
I don't know about "acquired taste", but I quit eating at fast food places in the late 70's. An employee of mine knew I was going to the West coast on vacation and said I should try them. Sounded a little stupid to me, but about five hours out of Las Vegas, on our way to Yosimete, we saw an In-n-Out place and decided to give it a shot. It was fresh, made to order, and we enjoyed the French fries. It's not a gourmet burger place, but the price was right and the food was very good. I'm ready for another one.
C. T.QUOTE=Pete;796942]In-n-Out can be an acquired taste.

Their burgers won't change your life, but for fast food they are extremely fresh with quality ingredients at a very inexpensive price.

By far the best fast food burger IMO and cheaper than almost all of them. Plus, the whole operation is run amazingly well with fantastic service.

If there is a better burger around for $2, I'd like to know about it.[/QUOTE]

Roger S
06-12-2014, 06:20 AM
Looks like In-N-Out may have some competition moving into the area soon. I spotted this on FB this morning.

Nora Roales Nevers Now please come to Dallas/Fort Worth Texas - Heck I'd drive anywhere south of the Red River. When you are raised on these little nuggets of wonderfulness you have really bad withdrawal when you have to move away. Please Please Please come to Salvation Army Texas
Like · Reply · 2 · June 10 at 9:49am

White Castle Thanks for the suggestion, Nora! We hope to be in a location near you in the future. In the meantime, check out our #CraveMobile contest for your chance to bring the Castle to you: CraveMobile | Promotions | White Castle (http://bit.ly/1kwPV8F)
Like · 2 · June 10 at 10:01am

Bullbear
06-24-2014, 08:44 AM
Just total ancedotal observations on my part.

I can't think In-n-Out corporate is too happy with the performance of their DFW stores. Every one I have driven past is usually empty. A big part of this is probably because they overbuilt them. And they have curtailed their growth considerably. By now they were supposed to be in all Big 4 Texas cities, and they haven't made it to Houston and only now opeing in SA.

I am in Dallas at least once a month usually more. We usually go to the INO on 75 towards downtown as my partner is from California and insists we eat there every time we are in Dallas and have hit several of them while there. I have never experienced them empty. I have always waited in line and many times ate outside or had to wait for a table inside to empty before taking a seat so I think they are doing pretty well.

Soonerman
06-24-2014, 09:40 AM
I had In and Out last week in Grapevine when I was in DFW, It was good but I like Whataburger much better.

soonerguru
06-24-2014, 03:35 PM

Another huge burger-eatin' town.

soonerguru
06-24-2014, 03:44 PM
I had In and Out last week in Grapevine when I was in DFW, It was good but I like Whataburger much better.

I love Whataburger, but I think the key difference is the quality of the ingredients In-N-Out uses: no-hormone, 100% natural beef, real fries, etc. I'm not sure how Whataburger rates in that category.

Dubya61
06-24-2014, 03:53 PM
I love Whataburger, but I think the key difference is the quality of the ingredients In-N-Out uses: no-hormone, 100% natural beef, real fries, etc. I'm not sure how Whataburger rates in that category.

I think you mean "pure" beef, rather than "natural." Patty Wagon rates HIGH in that category, too. They feature local, farm-raised, hormone & antibiotic free beef patties. I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure its grass-fed, too.

soonerguru
06-25-2014, 08:20 PM
I think you mean "pure" beef, rather than "natural." Patty Wagon rates HIGH in that category, too. They feature local, farm-raised, hormone & antibiotic free beef patties. I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure its grass-fed, too.

They do, but I hate eating the equivalent of a sweetened loaf of bread with my burger, so Pattywagon isn't in the rotation.

rizzo
06-27-2014, 02:42 PM
In N Out is to Californias what Whataburger is to Texans

It's just a decent fast food burger, nothing more.

Now Jack in the Box...I love those only for the drunk snack tacos :)

Whataburger is way better than In n Out IMO..

adaniel
06-27-2014, 02:51 PM
I am in Dallas at least once a month usually more. We usually go to the INO on 75 towards downtown as my partner is from California and insists we eat there every time we are in Dallas and have hit several of them while there. I have never experienced them empty. I have always waited in line and many times ate outside or had to wait for a table inside to empty before taking a seat so I think they are doing pretty well.

Like I said its just my ancedotal observation. I live very close to their location in Addison and its almost never as busy as nearby fast food places at the same time. I have floated this by several people and they have all noticed the same thing.

Bullbear
06-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Like I said its just my ancedotal observation. I live very close to their location in Addison and its almost never as busy as nearby fast food places at the same time. I have floated this by several people and they have all noticed the same thing.

that is fine. we obviously have observed different things. that is allowed

Hondo1
06-29-2014, 08:51 PM
Passed by In and Out in Plano this evening. Pretty full parking lot and a busy drive through. My only experience with In and Out was in Los Angeles. Meh. But man is it a gas eating a burger while some of the biggest airliners in the world touch down at LAX whose main runway is about a hundred feet from your table.

Soonerman
06-29-2014, 09:22 PM
Whataburger is way better than In n Out IMO..
This, I even like Braum's better than In and Out.

bchris02
06-29-2014, 09:32 PM
The Garage has to be my favorite burger place in OKC. For fast food, I prefer Sonic.

I could care less if OKC ever gets In-n-Out. There are so many great choices here already.

Bullbear
06-30-2014, 08:56 AM
Favorite burger in town is Patty Wagon.
I love sonice burgers and Coneys.. the thing I hate is thier sides.. they need to learn to cook thier Tater Tots completely.
they are just greese balls.. make those suckers CRISPY..

FighttheGoodFight
06-30-2014, 09:16 AM
Let's be honest. In-N-Out is a good burger but what sets it apart is the really cheap price.

If I was in college or high school you better believe I would make it a staple.

Soonerinfiniti
07-01-2014, 02:41 PM
While I appreciate that everyone has different tastes (but Braum's - seriously?), I had a double double animal style in Dallas over the weekend and it was outstanding! I was full all day! And $3.00? Are you kidding me? Although I like Tucker's, they don't hold a candle to In-N-Out!

Bullbear
07-01-2014, 02:46 PM
While I appreciate that everyone has different tastes (but Braum's - seriously?), I had a double double animal style in Dallas over the weekend and it was outstanding! I was full all day! And $3.00? Are you kidding me? Although I like Tucker's, they don't hold a candle to In-N-Out!

Lots of folks like Braums burgers. I can't get past the fries myself. but to each their own.

I love a Double Double animal style with green chiles. however I don't really pit Tuckers and INO against one another. I would frequent both if i had the chance.

Pete
07-01-2014, 03:03 PM
I'll say it again, when you are comparing burgers you have to break it down into three categories: 1) table-service restaurant (like Republic); 2) quick-service (counter) restaurant (like Tucker's, Smashburge); and 3) fast (drive-thru) food (In-n-Out, McDonald's).

In-n-Out is miles ahead of any other fast food place and is cheap even by that standard.

ljbab728
08-31-2015, 10:55 PM
Brianna's take on this.

http://www.oklahoman.com/article/5443670&headline=California%20burger%20chain%20fans%20are% 20hoping%20%20to%20lure%20one%20to%20Oklahoma%20on %20the%20Double-Double

In response to my inquiries, Carl Van Fleet, vice president of planning and development for In-N-Out, said the company won't be in Oklahoma any time soon.

"While we hope to make it to the Oklahoma someday, our slow growth plans will prevent us from getting there in the near-term future," he wrote in an email.

Pete
09-01-2015, 07:39 AM
^

That's always going to be the standard response of any corporate restaurant or retail chain.

Remember, Trader Joe's issued almost an identical denial about Oklahoma while they had already pulled a building permit for Tulsa.

Having said that, I don't have any reason to believe In-n-Out will be coming to OKC soon.

PhiAlpha
09-01-2015, 10:59 AM
^

That's always going to be the standard response of any corporate restaurant or retail chain.

Remember, Trader Joe's issued almost an identical denial about Oklahoma while they had already pulled a building permit for Tulsa.

Having said that, I don't have any reason to believe In-n-Out will be coming to OKC soon.

In-n-Out would be nice to have, but with all of our burger offerings (though most are higher end than fast food), I think we can live without it for awhile.

TU 'cane
09-01-2015, 11:18 AM
From our perspective OKC seems like a decent market to expand to, for some reasons listed on this page.

I enjoy it when I go down to Dallas. It's not something that will just knock your socks off, that's just being realistic about almost any food, particularly fast food.
But, I will say that it tastes fresh, and it's simple. I would definitely drive down more often for weekend trips to OKC and make sure to stop at the INO for a quick lunch or dinner on the way back home.

In-N-Out, if you're reading this, expand to OKC already. You will not be disappointed...

pickles
09-02-2015, 09:47 AM
I cannot imagine caring about this. We live in a city that already has an absurd excess of burgers and fast food.

bchris02
09-02-2015, 09:49 AM
I would rather have White Castle.

SSEiYah
09-02-2015, 10:31 AM
I've eaten at in-n-out in California and DFW, its cheaper than whataburger but I feel whataburger tastes better. I'd love to see CookOut (http://www.cookoutnc.com/index.php?action=locations)expand to Oklahoma. Prices are consistent with In-n-out but the taste is better in my opinion. I'd rank them above whataburger.

bchris02
09-02-2015, 10:46 AM
I've eaten at in-n-out in California and DFW, its cheaper than whataburger but I feel whataburger tastes better. I'd love to see CookOut (http://www.cookoutnc.com/index.php?action=locations)expand to Oklahoma. Prices are consistent with In-n-out but the taste is better in my opinion. I'd rank them above whataburger.

I really miss from when I lived in North Carolina. I don't think they have any locations west of Georgia however. I think it would do great in Oklahoma.

adaniel
09-02-2015, 12:47 PM
TBH it is going to be a while before they expand in OKC, or really outside of Texas in general. IMO I think they overbuilt their DFW locations and are probably now much more cautious in their expansions.

Now that the hype has died down a bit, I notice that their business in the locations here are decidedly mixed. The In and Out by me in Addison stays packed 24-7, but the one by my parents is very slow. If I am not mistaken In and Out planned on being in every large TX metro by 2015. As of now they have made it to Dallas and Austin, but are only now opening a location in San Antonio and have yet to open any in Houston.

Pete
09-02-2015, 12:51 PM
Every single one of them in Cali have long lines all day every day.

It's a great operation and great, fresh food served at reasonable prices. I'm a huge fan, although it took me a while to come around.

Mr. Cotter
09-02-2015, 01:46 PM
I've had it, and it's good fast food. I can't imagine picking it over Tucker's, though.

shawnw
09-02-2015, 02:02 PM
Maybe we should frame it as a challenge to them. "In-and-Out is afraid of the heavy competition in the Oklahoma market". :-P

adaniel
09-02-2015, 02:14 PM
^
I think that is the thing though. Here, they would be just another burger restaurant. Its less of an critique on In and Out and more of an observation on this market. You better bring you A game in Oklahoma if you are selling any sort of beef. Don't see what make's them stand out besides being a CA import.

As an aside, I actually find the burger I had in San Diego was different that the time I ate it here in Dallas. IDK if they are just trying to adjust to the differing tastes in this part of the country, but it was definitely not the same. Not worse per say, just off. My cousin's GF (a California transplant) observed this as well.

Pete
09-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Tucker's is literally twice the price of an In-n-Out burger.

We've been through this before... There are three distinct burger categories:

1. Full service restaurant, like RePUBlic
2. Quick service, like Tucker's, 5 Guys, or Smashburger
3. Fast food, like In-n-Out, McDonadl's Jack in the Box

And even in the fast food category In-n-Out is cheap and by far the freshest (and I think best) product.

shawnw
09-02-2015, 02:35 PM
I would have stuck five guys, smashburger, and in-and-out in the same category, but I get what you're saying.

Pete
09-02-2015, 02:39 PM
I would have stuck five guys, smashburger, and in-and-out in the same category, but I get what you're saying.

Totally different price point and service model.

Urban Pioneer
09-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Gawd, I try to go to In-n-Out every time I go to LAX. Catch22 got me hooked. I'm a big fan of Tuckers but the burgers really can't be compared. They are two different ensembles and shouldn't be compared. It's different food. Closest I have had here to In-n-Out is Freddy's and that was mostly in spirit.

And plus, who doesn't want palm trees on their drink cups?

BDP
09-02-2015, 02:51 PM
I'm a huge fan, although it took me a while to come around.

Same here. When I was first told that it was the "best hamburger", I was thinking best all around, and so I tried it and was like "well, it's good, but best?". Then I realized they just meant fast food burgers and then, yeah, it is one of the best.

And then I had Animal Style...

I've only had White Castle once very recently and I must say that I don't get it. Maybe I ordered wrong, but it seemed very blah to me. Now, I do get the medicinal properties of a bag of sliders at 2 am, but flavor wise it didn't stand out to me.

Mr. Cotter
09-02-2015, 02:52 PM
Tucker's is literally twice the price of an In-n-Out burger.

It doesn't have to be. Between a Keep it Local card and the Tucker's card (where about every 10th burger is free), it costs me and my wife $15 to eat at Tuckers. That's about $3 or $4 more than two combo meals at In-n-Out. If I'm going to invest the calories in a burger, that small of a price difference is nothing.

Pete
09-02-2015, 03:01 PM
Don't get me wrong, I love Tuckers.

But they really are in a different category; no drive-thru, etc.

Roger S
09-02-2015, 03:04 PM
I've only had White Castle once very recently and I must say that I don't get it. Maybe I ordered wrong, but it seemed very blah to me. Now, I do get the medicinal properties of a bag of sliders at 2 am, but flavor wise it didn't stand out to me.

If you didn't order a Crave Case... You ordered wrong! ..... White Castle really has no in between it seems.... The response I usually get from people that have tried it are "I LOVE WHITE CASTLE!" or "How can you eat that crap???"...... I never hear "Oh, it's alright." or "It's a decent burger.".

Mr. Cotter
09-02-2015, 03:05 PM
I know they are, I would just never choose to downgrade to save $4. Just a personal preference. It's way better than McDonald's, though.

Urban Pioneer
09-02-2015, 03:14 PM
This thread made me crave a burger. I am literally at Tucker's now for a ver overdue lunch.

Double Tucker $8.49
Chocolate Shake $3.99
Subtotal $12.48
Tax $1.05
Keep it Local Saved $1.25

End $12.28

Wishbone
09-03-2015, 07:35 AM
In and Out is pretty good. I can't say it's a whole lot better than Whataburger or Braums.