View Full Version : OKC 12th Most Popular City for Millennials since 2009

Pages : [1] 2

adaniel
11-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Found this little nugget in the Atlantic in reference to a story about DC. It seems to confirm what I have personally seen. The nice thing is we swung from a net loss of millennials before the recession to a nice gain afterwards.

The 15 Most Popular Cities for Millennials (D.C. Is #1) - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/11/the-15-most-popular-cities-for-millennials-dc-is-1/281480/)

The Wall Street Journal article provides more data:

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2013/11/14/millennials-flock-to-washington-after-abandoning-city-in-recession/

Pete
11-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Take that brain drain!

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/newsroom/img/posts/Screen%20Shot%202013-11-14%20at%209.55.23%20AM.png

soonerguru
11-14-2013, 12:17 PM
Awesome recognition. There's just so much of a different feel in OKC right now with young people. It really has turned a corner and I would expect this trend to multiply in the next few years as long as we continue to offer such a strong job market. Increased amenities are abundantly obvious and expanding. This is not a stagnant place and part of why it's changing is because of this influx of young, creative people painting the canvas with a portrait of the city they want to live in.

Pete
11-14-2013, 12:18 PM
For the purposes of this analysis, the age range is 25 to 34.

Keep in mind these are raw numbers not taking into consideration the populations of the various metropolitan statistic areas (MSA's).

If you compare these raw numbers as a percentage of total population, OKC is then FOURTH, behind only three perennial hipster towns: Denver, Austin and Portland in that order.

So, we're actually ahead of DC, Seattle and San Francisco since 2010.

I really think 2010-20 is going to be a breakout decade in population growth for OKC, finally getting into boomtown territory at 20%+.

OKCisOK4me
11-14-2013, 12:33 PM
I wonder if the numbers have anything to do with reliable transportation. At least 10 of those cities have some kind of transportation infrastructure ala bus, light rail, commuter, streetcar, interurban connectivity.

Pete
11-14-2013, 12:37 PM
I think it has much more to do with job opportunities.

And not just of the professional type (Devon, Continental, Love's, Hobby Lobby, etc.) but also service jobs.

Think about the scores of new bars, restaurants and retail establishments that have opened in the OKC area in just the last few years. And there are tons more on the drawing boards.

No way can all these jobs be filled by the current population, especially since the unemployment rate was already the lowest in the nation.

Teo9969
11-14-2013, 12:58 PM
The Texas triangle change is far more interesting to me than anything else…what the hell did they do wrong to lose so much growth?

The DC trend is also interesting…I don't see anyway that political activism could not be playing a huge role in that insane increase. That change of growth rate is at least twice as much as any other growth rate change.

Pete
11-14-2013, 01:05 PM
I should have mentioned there have been tons of construction jobs in OKC as well.

Plutonic Panda
11-14-2013, 01:10 PM
DC is developing some amazing neighborhoods. They are fantastic, mixed-use neighborhoods. High density, pedestrian-centric, etc.DC seems like an amazing overall city. I wonder if DC is the closest you ever see to Europe. As I have never been, the pictures are incredible.

Pete
11-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Here's the comparison by percentage:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/census2.jpg

Dubya61
11-14-2013, 01:20 PM
It's interesting to me that number 11 (Minn-St. Paul-et. al.) was even worse than OKC for loss pre-recession and equal or greater post-recession. We're all jazzed about OKC (and rightly so), but what is Minneapolis, etc. doing to merit such a change of attitude?

bchris02
11-14-2013, 01:23 PM
The Texas triangle change is far more interesting to me than anything else…what the hell did they do wrong to lose so much growth?

The DC trend is also interesting…I don't see anyway that political activism could not be playing a huge role in that insane increase. That change of growth rate is at least twice as much as any other growth rate change.

Not sure about Dallas and Houston. The hipster darlings of Austin and Portland are still going strong but there is so much job competition there it's likely you will be underemployed. I am sure that has effected migration rates some. Young people move there for the culture, not the job market. Oklahoma City is the kind of place people move for career opportunity that may be more difficult to obtain elsewhere, especially in this economic environment.

bchris02
11-14-2013, 01:25 PM
It's interesting to me that number 11 (Minn-St. Paul-et. al.) was even worse than OKC for loss pre-recession and equal or greater post-recession. We're all jazzed about OKC (and rightly so), but what is Minneapolis, etc. doing to merit such a change of attitude?

Minneapolis has fast garnered attention for being a hipster darling. It has many Austin-like qualities.

Teo9969
11-14-2013, 01:34 PM
DC seems like an amazing overall city. I wonder if DC is the closest you ever see to Europe. As I have never been, the pictures are incredible.

I haven't been but I'd bet that Boston is the closest city you'll get to Europe in the US.

HangryHippo
11-14-2013, 01:42 PM
I haven't been but I'd bet that Boston is the closest city you'll get to Europe in the US.

I'd say DC.

Just the facts
11-14-2013, 02:31 PM
You are all 3 wrong.:) Philadelphia is as close as you can get to Europe.

bradh
11-14-2013, 02:31 PM
How the hell do people afford a place like DC? I get you can save some money by not having a car, but not that damned much.

Zuplar
11-14-2013, 02:35 PM
I fall in that 25-34 category and in no way consider myself a millennial. I don't feel like I have anything in common with these hipsters out there.

PWitty
11-14-2013, 02:37 PM
With how much I read online about millennials moving to dense urban cities, I'm somewhat surprised that a lot of the most urban US cities (NYC, Phi, LA, Bos, Chi) are missing. I'd think they'd do well since that graph is based on raw numbers instead of percentages. Very exciting nonetheless to see OKC so high :cool:

Pete
11-14-2013, 02:38 PM
How the hell do people afford a place like DC? I get you can save some money by not having a car, but not that damned much.

Same way they do it out here in California... You make do with a much smaller place to live and otherwise don't have the room (let alone the money) to spend a bunch on furniture, yards, etc.

A good percentage of my friends here still rent.

bchris02
11-14-2013, 02:49 PM
A lot of friends I have who moved to Portland or San Francisco live in small apartments with multiple roommates. That's how they afford it. They don't have very nice digs. In a city like that though, it's probably not like they spend a lot of time at home anyways other than to sleep.

bchris02
11-14-2013, 02:53 PM
I fall in that 25-34 category and in no way consider myself a millennial. I don't feel like I have anything in common with these hipsters out there.

I would say the cut-off is at about 30 if not slightly above. People born roughly between 1980 and 1984 can identify with either the younger millennials or the older Generation X. There is this dude I know who's 30 but still hipster all the way.

adaniel
11-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Same way they do it out here in California... You make do with a much smaller place to live and otherwise don't have the room (let alone the money) to spend a bunch on furniture, yards, etc.

A good percentage of my friends here still rent.

Yep. Good friend who lives in DC tripled up with two other girls in a townhouse in Arlington. The hope was they would advance enough in their careers to eventually buy a place of their own but for now, just tough it out and have some friends to hang out with. In my friends case she got married and they have a place of their own, but it is quite expensive. Its very interesting to read the comments on that Atlantic article from what I assuming to be DC residents.

bradh
11-14-2013, 03:17 PM
I guess that's how you do it. I think we've all had that phase where you have a roommate or two and spend way too much of your free time chasing tail and drinking and all that stuff in your mid twenties, in a place too expensive for you.

zookeeper
11-14-2013, 03:30 PM
A lot of friends I have who moved to Portland or San Francisco live in small apartments with multiple roommates. That's how they afford it. They don't have very nice digs. In a city like that though, it's probably not like they spend a lot of time at home anyways other than to sleep.

Somebody's been watching too many movies. BChris, trust me when I say that people are people and most people in your age group are NOT "always out" and are home "only to sleep." I'm not saying that doesn't ever happen, but it's hardly the norm.

Teo9969
11-14-2013, 03:44 PM

Millennial =/= Hipster

GoThunder
11-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Millennial =/= Hipster

Thank you.

Zuplar
11-14-2013, 05:49 PM
I would say the cut-off is at about 30 if not slightly above. People born roughly between 1980 and 1984 can identify with either the younger millennials or the older Generation X. There is this dude I know who's 30 but still hipster all the way.

I must be an old soul because I'm younger than that and most the people younger than myself I feel like grew up in a different age. Part of this is because I grew up in a small town so we didn't have internet till a lot later compared to people that probably lived in the OKC area. My sister who is just 3 years younger strikes me more as a millennial.

I've seen this brought up before but it really seems those that are somewhere between 25-30 are caught between 2 generations. Of course I think a lot of it is just what people associate with because there is a lot of people on here that I kind of think of as 'millennial' but I'm guessing are in their late 30's.

bchris02
11-14-2013, 05:55 PM
I must be an old soul because I'm younger than that and most the people younger than myself I feel like grew up in a different age. Part of this is because I grew up in a small town so we didn't have internet till a lot later compared to people that probably lived in the OKC area. My sister who is just 3 years younger strikes me more as a millennial.

I've seen this brought up before but it really seems those that are somewhere between 25-30 are caught between 2 generations. Of course I think a lot of it is just what people associate with because there is a lot of people on here that I kind of think of as 'millennial' but I'm guessing are in their late 30's.

I was born in 1985 and growing up, I was told I was generation X until the mid-2000s when the media starting marketing to "millennials" in which it defined as anybody born between 1982 and 1996 roughly. I think a good definition on whether or not you are a millennial is whether you were a teenager at some point in the 2000s decade. If you were 19 in the year 2000, or if you were 13 in 2009, you quality as a millennial. Just because you don't fit the stereotypes doesn't mean you aren't part of the generation. Believe it or not, not all baby boomers were pot-smoking hippies in the 60s.

Zuplar
11-14-2013, 08:28 PM
I was born in 1985 and growing up, I was told I was generation X until the mid-2000s when the media starting marketing to "millennials" in which it defined as anybody born between 1982 and 1996 roughly. I think a good definition on whether or not you are a millennial is whether you were a teenager at some point in the 2000s decade. If you were 19 in the year 2000, or if you were 13 in 2009, you quality as a millennial. Just because you don't fit the stereotypes doesn't mean you aren't part of the generation. Believe it or not, not all baby boomers were pot-smoking hippies in the 60s.

Like I said I guess a lot of it has to do with perspective. I see a lot of urbanist on here and I can't help but think of them as hipster and associate them with the millennial generation of thinking even though I'm sure most are older than myself. Again some of that I think is based on where you were raised.

soonerguru
11-14-2013, 10:59 PM
With how much I read online about millennials moving to dense urban cities, I'm somewhat surprised that a lot of the most urban US cities (NYC, Phi, LA, Bos, Chi) are missing. I'd think they'd do well since that graph is based on raw numbers instead of percentages. Very exciting nonetheless to see OKC so high :cool:

Cost of living.

krisb
11-15-2013, 09:09 PM
DC is developing some amazing neighborhoods. They are fantastic, mixed-use neighborhoods. High density, pedestrian-centric, etc.

So true. There is much more to DC than the federal government's footprint. Adams Morgan is one of the most vibrant, diverse neighborhoods I have ever experienced. By DC standards it has also remained very affordable for millennials and the working class.

http://www.borderstan.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/AdamsMorgan_Borderstan-580x403.jpg

http://www.dcclubbing.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Screen-shot-2011-04-26-at-7.45.14-PM.png

KenRagsdale
11-16-2013, 05:22 AM
The 15 Most Popular Cities for Millennials (D.C. Is #1) - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/11/the-15-most-popular-cities-for-millennials-dc-is-1/281480/#)!

Bellaboo
11-16-2013, 07:05 AM
The 15 Most Popular Cities for Millennials (D.C. Is #1) - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/11/the-15-most-popular-cities-for-millennials-dc-is-1/281480/#)!

This was post # 1.

catcherinthewry
11-16-2013, 07:18 AM

Not all millenials are hipsters. Hipsters are a subset of millenials.

hoya
11-16-2013, 09:02 AM
You are all 3 wrong.:) Philadelphia is as close as you can get to Europe.

Not a chance. Looking at a map it is quite clear that Bangor, Maine, is actually the closest US city to Europe.

Zuplar
11-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Not all millenials are hipsters. Hipsters are a subset of millenials.

Well I agree when I hear that term that's what I think. Call it stereotyping if you will.

LocoAko
11-16-2013, 04:56 PM
Millennial =/= Hipster

I was waiting for someone to post this...

Teo9969
11-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Well I agree when I hear that term that's what I think. Call it stereotyping if you will.

The problem with that stance is that when people are talking about the Millennials they're talking about a very wide swath of people…you're not going to understand public discourse if you're thinking of a very specific person when Millennial just as much refers to the people aged 23 who are in gangs, or the 32 year-old young politician.

Mark Zuckerberg, Sam Bradford, Miley Cyrus = Millennial.

bchris02
11-16-2013, 10:43 PM
The problem with that stance is that when people are talking about the Millennials they're talking about a very wide swath of people…you're not going to understand public discourse if you're thinking of a very specific person when Millennial just as much refers to the people aged 23 who are in gangs, or the 32 year-old young politician.

Mark Zuckerberg, Sam Bradford, Miley Cyrus = Millennial.

It's the same thing that when people hear baby boomer they think hippies and Woodstock. Hipsters are a subculture of millennials and may not be a majority but they are the dominant one in the media.

bradh
11-16-2013, 10:48 PM
What's funny about that is I don't think hippies when I think Boomers, I think 50's post WWII kids. Maybe I'm in the wrong generation.

Even though Millennial =/= Hipster, it's unfortunately the card you're dealt with. My wife and I are both technically Millennials (I'm barely one) but we have relatives who are definitely not Millennials but absolutely hipsters.

Zuplar
11-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Maybe in 10 years when we look back on this it won't be so negative, but until then I'm going to disassociate myself with the 'millennial' term because I feel like most older generations perceive them as immature.

bradh
11-17-2013, 12:39 PM
The main thing I associate with millennials is, and it's not all their fault, is the "I went to school and should make over $50k (or some other ridiculous number with no basis) right out of college" mindset.

You're only getting that for a few specific technical degrees. I think that's what a lot of older folks getting riled up about with them, that there's an attitude of "I don't need to put in my time."

bchris02
11-17-2013, 01:08 PM
The main thing I associate with millennials is, and it's not all their fault, is the "I went to school and should make over $50k (or some other ridiculous number with no basis) right out of college" mindset.

You're only getting that for a few specific technical degrees. I think that's what a lot of older folks getting riled up about with them, that there's an attitude of "I don't need to put in my time."

You can blame high school guidance counselors and college recruiters for that mindset. Also can you blame people from being rather cynical when it turns out what they were told over and over again for 6-8 straight years turns out to be a lie?

adaniel
11-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Maybe in 10 years when we look back on this it won't be so negative, but until then I'm going to disassociate myself with the 'millennial' term because I feel like most older generations perceive them as immature.

"There's something wrong with the kids" is a theme that is as old as humanity itself. Every young generation is perceived as being immature by older generations.

You should embrace your millennial status, and you likely share more traits and trends with this generation than you think. By being a poster on this board you are using technology to socialize, a big trait with those in Gen Y. If I am not mistaken the vast majority of people on this board are younger than 35.

Yeah millennials can sometimes come off as a bit entitled. But we are also the most educated and most diverse generation in US history. We have already spawned several companies like Facebook and Twitter. To pull it back to the topic at hand, boomers let the center of OKC rot, and Gen X didn't even bother to stick around thanks to the oil bust. Its people born after 1980 who took a risk and are now playing a big role in revitalizing the city center here. If I were a betting man, I would say the majority of businesses in this area are owned by people in their 20's and early 30's. And FWIW this is hardly an OKC thing.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to cook my organic free range chicken so I can post about it on instagram and share it to my facebook friends :-).

catcherinthewry
11-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Its people born after 1980 who took a risk and are now playing a big role in revitalizing the city center here.

Ron Norick, Kirk Humphries, Mick Cornett, Larry Nichols, Aubrey McClendon, Harold Hamm and countless other boomers would like to thank you post 80ers for taking that risk and playing such a big role in revitalizing the city center.:)

Zuplar
11-17-2013, 03:52 PM
"There's something wrong with the kids" is a theme that is as old as humanity itself. Every young generation is perceived as being immature by older generations.

You should embrace your millennial status, and you likely share more traits and trends with this generation than you think. By being a poster on this board you are using technology to socialize, a big trait with those in Gen Y. If I am not mistaken the vast majority of people on this board are younger than 35.

Yeah millennials can sometimes come off as a bit entitled. But we are also the most educated and most diverse generation in US history. We have already spawned several companies like Facebook and Twitter. To pull it back to the topic at hand, boomers let the center of OKC rot, and Gen X didn't even bother to stick around thanks to the oil bust. Its people born after 1980 who took a risk and are now playing a big role in revitalizing the city center here. If I were a betting man, I would say the majority of businesses in this area are owned by people in their 20's and early 30's. And FWIW this is hardly an OKC thing.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to cook my organic free range chicken so I can post about it on instagram and share it to my facebook friends :-).

This last part is a big reason for the negative perception, although I'm guessing it was meant as a joke. I think you made a lot of good points on everything else and I hope that someday this is what people think of when the think millennials.

ljbab728
11-17-2013, 08:30 PM

My daughter graduated from college this year with a degree in accounting and has a job here in the OKC area in that salary range. She certainly doesn't have an entitlement mindset but, just saying it's not an unreasonable amount.

soonerguru
11-17-2013, 09:51 PM
The Millennials are also known for being great community builders and being very tolerant and civic minded. They are the most ethnically diverse generation ever. Not all the stereotypes are negative.

Urban Pioneer
11-17-2013, 11:43 PM
I just turned 32 and graduated High School in 2000. I am a first year Millenial and proud to be so. There is a very definite difference in perspectives between our generation and others. Openess, acceptance, and the simple willingness to forgive, forget, and move on.

This energy is and should be harnessed into a powerful phenomena. It is unfortunately squandered by the political obsessions of many of our elders.

Such a waste in opportunity.

bchris02
11-18-2013, 06:23 AM
My daughter graduated from college this year with a degree in accounting and has a job here in the OKC area in that salary range. She certainly doesn't have an entitlement mindset but, just saying it's not an unreasonable amount.

I agree. Going to college should be a gateway to a career. Due to the recession, in many cases college graduates are/were doing low-wage jobs that prior to 2008 would have only been done by high school graduates or even dropouts. Millennials who went deep into debt to get a college education have every right to be upset about it. When I was living in Charlotte it was quite common to see 25 year olds with degrees living with their parents and working at Little Caesars. Something is definitely wrong there.

Just the facts
11-18-2013, 07:03 AM
Not a chance. Looking at a map it is quite clear that Bangor, Maine, is actually the closest US city to Europe.

Are you sure it isn't Barrow, AK?

Zuplar
11-18-2013, 07:14 AM
I think a big issue with the whole 'get a degree, get a good paying job' actually comes from the previous generation. Of course back in the day less people went to college, which made having a degree that much more important. Therefore it seemed as lot of parents pushed their kids to go to college for the reason that people in their generation had much more success out of the box. Nowadays it seems that a Bachelors is a lot more watered down that it was 25 years ago. This is one of the reasons why I went back and got my Masters as I feel that's a better way to have a leg up on the competition.

Bellaboo
11-18-2013, 07:21 AM
In the 60's and 70's it was 'you have to have a degree to separate yourself'. Now, it's more like you have to have a degree in a specific study that will separate yourself. Such as math or science.

bradh
11-18-2013, 08:49 AM

Yeah I just picked $50k out of the air. Shoulda said six figures. bchris is right though, you can't really blame the kids on this

PhiAlpha
11-18-2013, 09:55 AM
Are you sure it isn't Barrow, AK?

Asia?

hoya
11-18-2013, 04:41 PM
I just turned 32 and graduated High School in 2000. I am a first year Millenial and proud to be so. There is a very definite difference in perspectives between our generation and others. Openess, acceptance, and the simple willingness to forgive, forget, and move on.

This energy is and should be harnessed into a powerful phenomena. It is unfortunately squandered by the political obsessions of many of our elders.

Such a waste in opportunity.

Yeah well, I'm an aged, directionless, 35 year old member of Generation X. We rebelled against the political activism of our parents with our own endless apathy. You damn kids make too much noise.

CuatrodeMayo
11-18-2013, 05:55 PM
wait but why: Why Generation Y Yuppies Are Unhappy (http://www.waitbutwhy.com/2013/09/why-generation-y-yuppies-are-unhappy.html)

bchris02
11-24-2013, 02:46 PM

Here is a video that somewhat deals with that situation. It is a Glenn Beck segment and I want to preface that I don't normally listen to Glenn Beck or endorse him, but this is a good article explaining what is wrong with the way we market education today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7v_llrKxyo4

AP
11-24-2013, 07:59 PM
wait but why: Why Generation Y Yuppies Are Unhappy (http://www.waitbutwhy.com/2013/09/why-generation-y-yuppies-are-unhappy.html)

That was actually a really good post and to me (24 yo) it is surprisingly accurate to how I feel/felt coming right out of college.