View Full Version : First it was taxis; now entrepreneurs target rental cars

Pete
11-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Interesting concept... I'm tempted to try it since it's at LAX but of course there are possible big downsides.

Great idea that probably just needs more flushing out:

New Startup At LAX Lets You Rent Your Car While You're Gone: LAist (http://laist.com/2013/11/13/new_car_rental_startup_at_lax_lets.php)

The worst part of flying out of LAX is figuring out how you're going to get there. Will you take a cab? Can you get a ride from a friend? Should you just bite the bullet and pay to leave your car at the airport?

Well, there's a new way to deal with all of that now, KPCC reports.

A company called FlightCar opened its third location at LAX on Wednesday. Run by three would-be college freshman, 19-year-old Kevin Petrovic, 18-year-old Rujul Zaparde and 19-year-old Shri Ganeshram (all accepted to Ivy League schools), FlightCar will let you park for free and pay you up to $20 per day if someone rents your car. They pick you up and drop you off in a black sedan and wash your car. Plus, they're pretty heavily insured.

"Everything is insured up to a million dollars, Zaparde told KPCC. "We'll cover liabilities, any collision, theft, and damage. Even if there's a small scratch on the car it's fully covered."

But it's not all fun and games. Some customers have taken to Yelp with their horror stories, KPCC found, like "finding decomposing fried chicken wings stuffed in the side door pocket; or worse, not getting fully reimbursed when their car was in an accident."

The city of San Francisco sued the company for operating illegally at the airport in June, but Petrovic says FlightCar isn't backing down.
The launch comes two weeks before one of the busiest travel days in the country -- likely a move to take advantage of travelers coming in and out of L.A. over the course of Thanksgiving weekend.

The first location opened in San Francisco in February, followed by Boston in May. Petrovic said they got the idea from Airbnb.
"Largely because of Airbnb, it's really opened the door to the sharing economy and people are more willing to share," he said.

Of Sound Mind
11-13-2013, 12:39 PM
Interesting concept... but I'd be nervous about doing it because of how people treat cars not their own.

bradh
11-13-2013, 12:43 PM
No way, would never do it. Seen way to many videos of friends doing burnouts in rentals and taking them to Autocross events.

Pete
11-13-2013, 12:46 PM
The real advantage is the free parking, which averages about $15-$20 a day here.

And of course for the renter, it's a great deal.

Jersey Boss
11-13-2013, 01:19 PM
Curious as to how the insurance company feels about you using your car for a commercial enterprise? Would it void your coverage?

Just the facts
11-13-2013, 01:31 PM
So let me see. My insurance and registration is in the glove box with my address on it. I am out of town (and the renter knows this). My 3 button Homelink is attached to the sun visor. And just in case he can't find my house, my GPS system with the big button that says "Navigate Home" will give him turn by turn direction. Yep, no way this can fail.

MustangGT
11-13-2013, 01:40 PM
Curious as to how the insurance company feels about you using your car for a commercial enterprise? Would it void your coverage?

Virtually ALL policies I have ever had or heard about would void your coverage on something like this. I would NOT get anywhere near this situation. Penny wise...Pound foolish applies here.

Zuplar
11-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Sounds like a terrible idea. I would much rather pay to leave my car in a secure location where it's not going to get touched. I barely let my wife drive my truck let alone some dumbass stranger.

MustangGT
11-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Sounds like a terrible idea. I would much rather pay to leave my car in a secure location where it's not going to get touched. I barely let my wife drive my truck let alone some dumbass stranger.

Agreed. For me it is my Mustang GT.

HangryHippo
11-13-2013, 01:44 PM
So let me see. My insurance and registration is in the glove box with my address on it. I am out of town (and the renter knows this). My 3 button Homelink is attached to the sun visor. And just in case he can't find my house, my GPS system with the big button that says "Navigate Home" will give him turn by turn direction. Yep, no way this can fail.

I see your point, but surely you aren't leaving your garage opener and GPS system in the car when you rent it out to someone.

Just the facts
11-13-2013, 02:14 PM
I see your point, but surely you aren't leaving your garage opener and GPS system in the car when you rent it out to someone.

I can't take them out. The GPS/Navigation is built into the dash and the Homelink is built into the sun visor. Also, as a frequent rental car customer, there is zero incentive for me to rent someone's personal car unless they are going to give me frequent flyer miles and a loyalty program. I don't care if they save me $10 or not, I get reimbursed the price of the rental car no matter what it cost.

All joking aside, this might be good for some one but that has to be a really small number of people.

Just the facts
11-13-2013, 02:27 PM
I think renting a room or whole house is a little different, especially if I am home at the time. However, I wouldn't be real keen to rent my house out for 2 days while I was away for the weekend. Talk about opening the door for identity theft.

Pete
11-13-2013, 02:34 PM
Yep, the rental car market is so massive that even a tiny slice means a ton of revenue.

In the U.S. alone during 2012, rental cars accounted for $23.6 BILLION in revenue -- that's not including other countries.

Tons and tons of money and volume -- perfect type of industry for a fresh entrepreneurial approach.

And these guys must be doing something right because LA is their third market after SF and Boston.

Just the facts
11-13-2013, 02:56 PM
Like I said, I am sure this type of thing is great for some people.

Airbnb And The Unstoppable Rise Of The Share Economy - Forbes (http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomiogeron/2013/01/23/airbnb-and-the-unstoppable-rise-of-the-share-economy/)

In this example the guy rents his house for $100 per night. If you can do that every night then that is $3000 per month. At that rate you could buy a small house and just rent it through the website and after about 10 years you would have earned enough to pay the house off and own it outright. I'm not sure how he is getting a $100 per night for his Prius.

Do you have to pay hotel/motel tax at these places?

catch22
11-13-2013, 02:58 PM
I've rented from someone on AirBNB who was not home, they hid their key for me. Met them the next morning after sleeping in their home.

bradh
11-13-2013, 03:00 PM
Yep, the rental car market is so massive that even a tiny slice means a ton of revenue.

In the U.S. alone during 2012, rental cars accounted for $23.6 BILLION in revenue -- that's not including other countries.

Tons and tons of money and volume -- perfect type of industry for a fresh entrepreneurial approach.

And these guys must be doing something right because LA is their third market after SF and Boston.

Not to say it's not fresh approach and outside the box thinking, but it's just not something I'd ever participate in. I'm not concerned about someone stealing my identity by borrowing my car, I just know how most people treat rentals, and I don't want that to be my truck.

Just the facts
11-13-2013, 03:03 PM
I've rented from someone on AirBNB who was not home, they hid their key for me. Met them the next morning after sleeping in their home.

Was this the actual person's home or a place specific for this purpose?

catch22
11-13-2013, 03:07 PM
Was this the actual person's home or a place specific for this purpose?

Their home. Left me a note on the kitchen table, to feel free to cook/consume anything in the fridge, kitchen, or alcohol (within reason). Free to use their wifi and gave me the code to that. Etc. $80 for the night. 3 blocks off the beach.

Another time, stayed with a girl... 10 blocks off the beach and the same price. Also, wasn't home when I arrived so left a key hidden.

My generation doesn't want corporate hotels in tourist areas. We want to be with locals and experience life as a local. I've made quite a few friends through space sharing. Even if AirBNB got shut down, I have enough contacts in various cities where I could stay and pay cash and not do it through AirBNB.

bradh
11-13-2013, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to using AirBNB for both a place to stay and to offer my house as a place to stay. Just not with the car, I know that sounds stupid, but it's just how I feel.

Pete
11-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Not to say it's not fresh approach and outside the box thinking, but it's just not something I'd ever participate in. I'm not concerned about someone stealing my identity by borrowing my car, I just know how most people treat rentals, and I don't want that to be my truck.

Completely understand.

I may give it a try just for the experience.

Just the facts
11-13-2013, 03:13 PM
I guess it is a generational thing. More power to you. I don't mind sharing a community item, but I guess have to draw the line at sharing my item with the community. Well not totally I guess, if I didn't have a wife and kids I would be more than happy to have people stay at my house for $75 a night. I would have 3 extra bedrooms so I could pocket some pretty good cash.

catch22
11-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Everyone is reviewed, so you have a decent idea of who is meeting you. I don't rent from someone who has less than 10 reviews and all of them need to be positive. If there is even the slightest hint that the room or people hosting me is anything less than kosher (not in the true sense of that word) then I do not rent.

I have not rented out space, and based on some things I have heard about regarding landlords, I probably wouldn't. Breaks a ton of sublet contract language I am sure.

catch22
11-13-2013, 03:18 PM
With that said, I would rent someones car but I wouldn't rent my own out. Cars have a lot of things that can go wrong, and I want to be the one to break my car, not someone else.

tomokc
11-13-2013, 03:50 PM
I own a condominium in a resort area which is occasionally rented to others through VRBO. The previous owner did that, and after a little initial trepidation, I grew to like it.

I receive a signed rental agreement and payment in advance, I verify that their check address matches their residential address, and I research them thoroughly on the Internet. Our rates are high and we don't discount - this attracts older renters of greater means, and discourages the riff-raff. The place is immaculate which encourages better treatment by our renters. Knock wood no problems after four years and dozens of renters.

But a peer-to-peer car rental, either as the owner or renter? No thanks.

Plutonic Panda
11-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Agreed. For me it is my Mustang GT.Never knew you owned a Mustang GT, that awesome! ;)

kevinpate
11-13-2013, 06:25 PM
I love my brothers. I love my SiL and her hubs. But I don't tend to loan my rides out to them. And generally not to local friends either. So why, oh why, would I invite all the potential headache to save on a parking fee? Nah, not for me.

Pete
04-27-2015, 04:46 PM
So, I rented out my car via FlightCar on my recent trip to OKC.

All in all, a great experience.

The main advantage is the completely free parking and private drop off and pick up for your flight. They use nice town cars and SUV's to shuttle you privately; no clamoring on and off shuttle buses and stopping at every terminal.

I have an older but very nice Lexus SUV and it stayed rented most the time I was gone. However, they pay you only for mileage; $.10 per mile for older cars and $.20 per mile for newer ones. At least at LAX.

If I had parked my car for the full 12 days it would have cost me north of $200. As it was, that was all free... But I only made like $30 in rental fees.

One very cool thing: They text you a link for pick up on the day of your flight. You merely click it and add a few details. Then you get an auto-text back telling you *exactly* where to stand (under a very specific sign for each terminal) then you can track the car on a little map as it approaches. Then, you get another auto-text when they are arriving, which also describes the car. This all beats the heck out of standing out an outside curb with hundreds of parking shuttles and having no idea when or if the right one will come by.

They also wash and vacuum your car and have it started and waiting for you upon drop-off.

And finally, there is a two-way rating system for both cars and people who rent them.

Really, as I said, the advantage is the free parking and fantastic drop-off and pick-up; both of which are a big deal at an airport like LAX.

I'll use them again. Car was perfectly clean -- no issues whatsoever.

turnpup
04-27-2015, 05:23 PM
I don't know, Pete...

What comes to mind for me is that scene from Ferris Bueller where the parking valets take Cameron's dad's Ferrari (Lamborghini?) and go for a massive joyride. Remember how they took it over that hill and had it going airborne? That'd be my luck. :)

Bunty
04-27-2015, 05:29 PM
Speaking of car rental, it would be nice to rent your car to someone when you arrive in it at work and it already be returned and waiting for you when you get off work. Or pick up someone wanting to rent your car on the way to work and you turn your car over to the renter upon arrival to work.

Pete
04-27-2015, 06:15 PM
BTW, for those who say "I never would" I suspect you are not the target demographic anyway.

These kind of things appeal to people who are far more open to new ideas and are generally less worrisome and distrustful. As I mentioned earlier, they just need a tiny slice of the $23 billion annual rental car industry in the U.S. to make millions.

I can tell you that the FlightCar at LAX was packed with cars and there were tons of people in and out of there both on drop-off and pick-up. And as I mentioned, my car was used most the time I was gone. People are using the system on both ends.

They also are really on the ball when it comes to technology. You list your car in advance (can do it any time before you drop off) and they are waiting for you when you arrive; know your car (by the data you entered and when you'd be arriving) and get you out of there fast. They also take photos of the entire car every time you drop off and after every rental. Why don't all rental companies do this??

They are standing in the parking lot as you drive up with a tablet in hand, know your name, help you get your luggage from your car to theirs and wisk you away in comfort. Then, the pick-up is probably the best I've ever experienced and when you return, they are once again waiting with your car running, fully washed and cleaned. By the time the chauffeur puts your bags in your own car, you are checked out and on your way.

I think all this is hard to understand when your home airport isn't of the mega variety. Getting in and out of there is by far the biggest hassle and these guys make it super easy. Just not having to ride with others in the to and from is a massive thing. All that waiting around, trying to find them or stopping at every single terminal. It can add 30 minutes to both the in and out, and it's hard time: People all in a semi-stressed mood having to navigate around loud, chaotic, and aggressive buses, taxis and shuttles.

catch22
04-27-2015, 06:44 PM
I wouldn't have a problem doing Uber or AirBNB, but I'm not sure how trustful I am of people driving my car.

One good afternoon of pushing the car to its limits can really mess a car up.

Spending the money on parking seems to be a better risk for me than not knowing what type of abuse has been done to my transmission, if they have redlined the crankshaft, or drove off with the E-Brake on.

My car also has a 15 second startup warm-up period. It starts and accelerates the motor to 1,500 RPM for 10 seconds, then cuts down to 1000 RPM for 5 seconds, and then drops to idle at 600 RPM.

Putting the vehicle in gear while the motor is in the warmup stage is known on my vehicle to reduce the life of the motor mounts (from the excessive jolt at high-idle RPM) as well as damage the transmission if done too often.

I take care of my vehicles and operate them how they are designed to be operated, so I would be very hesitant to allow someone to rent my car without knowing who it is and have a chance to explain how I want my vehicle operated.

bradh
04-27-2015, 06:53 PM
Yeah I am kinda like catch here, plus I have seen way too many YouTube videos of guys hooning rentals.

Pete
04-27-2015, 06:54 PM
I wouldn't rent it out if my car was even semi-newish.

But it has 125,000 miles on it and I read all the reviews that said if there was anything even slightly wrong that FlightCar makes it right in short order. If you think about it, if they didn't do that they'd be out of business very fast.

Lots of complaints about having items stolen from the car, yet they tell you over and over to take everything out. I did exactly that and of course didn't have any problem at all.

In all, I received about a $250 benefit for a car that was going to sit idle anyway. And as I said, you can't imagine how much better the pick-up and drop-off experience is unless you've had to park your car for decades at an airport like LAX. That alone makes it worth it to me, even on short trips where there wouldn't be nearly as much financial benefit.

catch22
04-27-2015, 07:09 PM
^ my point is once you drive off the lot, they will deny all liability.

If someone destroyed your transmission one afternoon, but your transmission held on long enough for you to drive to the grocery store before it blew up. You'd have a tough time making them buy you a new transmission. You'd be stuck with the costs of maintenance, while the rental company benefits from not having to maintain their fleet, and the rental user got the benefit of the cheap rental.

catch22
04-27-2015, 07:49 PM
No, I'm saying internal damage is not obvious, and internal damage can go weeks before finally failing.

If the door is broken when you get back, that's obvious. If someone abuses your transmission it won't be obvious for several weeks or months before it craps out.

bradh
04-27-2015, 08:05 PM
Catch makes a good point, and he's not anti other sharing services. No need to pick fights with him. Sid you are right in that these companies know reputation is their ticket.

Mel
04-27-2015, 08:12 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cneCgNA9U

I would fear something like this.

Pete
04-27-2015, 08:55 PM
^ my point is once you drive off the lot, they will deny all liability.

That's simply not true, though. I researched this and many that rented their cars out talked about how later parking tickets or running toll booths or even scratches were discovered and FlightCar handled it quickly and without much hassle.

Think about it. If they didn't do these things they would have no business model and they know it.

I'm not saying bad things don't happen but there is plenty of stuff people can do to homes that isn't easily discovered until later. It's really the same issue and one that has been able to be reconciled in all types of rental arrangements.

catch22
04-27-2015, 09:36 PM
But I'm not talking about parking tickets, toll fines, door dings, and scratches.

I'm talking about internal damage to the engine and or transmission from abuse or improper operation.

What if the renter is driving down the road, accidentally bumps the transmission into R. A gear tooth gets bent. Two weeks later you're driving down the highway and that tooth breaks off, jams a gear, and your transmission blows? Will they cover it? Can you prove the renter broke your transmission?

It's one thing to refund $30 uber rides, $120 AirBNB rentals. It's another to purchase a $2,400 transmission overhaul.

I doubt they will send a check in the mail and accept full responsibility given that there's no way to know that any misuse happened during the rental agreement, and no way to know if you failed to maintain your car correctly.

Mechanical things break. Even brand new airplane break. Uber rides don't break and AirBNB rentals don't cause foundations to crack. There's just way too much uncertainty with a vehicle for me to let someone else play with it while I only earn $30 for the use.

kevinpate
04-28-2015, 10:17 AM
I sort of get where Pete is coming from, but I really, really get where catch22 is coming from.

A user of your car blows a toll booth, or scores a parking ticket or four, there are date and time stamped records to track back for possession. Someone mucks up your car but it remains functional for a day or week or three, it's going to be much tougher to relate it back to a callous renter. It is not bad business to say sorry you have trouble but we can't just cut a check without it being connected to the time you left it with us.

And when internal parts break, it isn't always a wondered when that might happen scenario. It's often a it was fine a sec ago but nope, not now.

I do agree with Pete that the older the vehicle, maybe the easier it is to say why not. Then again, I do tend to drive mine until they only have salvage value left. It's not likely anyone other than a demo derby driver would rent one of mine anyway. :)

jerrywall
04-28-2015, 12:48 PM
I've got to wonder how these services work in states with owner liability laws (laws which hold the owner liable for any criminal acts or damage done when they consent to their car being loaned out). This may be a case like Uber where state laws will need to be updated.

adaniel
04-28-2015, 01:35 PM
But I'm not talking about parking tickets, toll fines, door dings, and scratches.

I'm talking about internal damage to the engine and or transmission from abuse or improper operation.

What if the renter is driving down the road, accidentally bumps the transmission into R. A gear tooth gets bent. Two weeks later you're driving down the highway and that tooth breaks off, jams a gear, and your transmission blows? Will they cover it? Can you prove the renter broke your transmission?

It's one thing to refund $30 uber rides, $120 AirBNB rentals. It's another to purchase a $2,400 transmission overhaul.

I doubt they will send a check in the mail and accept full responsibility given that there's no way to know that any misuse happened during the rental agreement, and no way to know if you failed to maintain your car correctly.

Mechanical things break. Even brand new airplane break. Uber rides don't break and AirBNB rentals don't cause foundations to crack. There's just way too much uncertainty with a vehicle for me to let someone else play with it while I only earn $30 for the use.

This. I don't like even giving my car to a valet (and of course everything in Dallas requires valet parking). If you have an appliance for a car that doesn't require much outside of sticking a key in an ignition then this would be okay. For me, I have a V8 sports car; not only will people likely not take the extra care needed like using premium gasoline or allowing time for it to warm up. They would likely just flog the hell out of it.

FWIW I actually have a friend with the same model as mine just a year newer with a special plug in monitor for insurance purposes. A day after he valeted it at a hotel in St Louis, he got an email from the company saying they recorded significant wheel spin, rapid acceleration, and at least 3 instances of the engine being revved beyond 5,000 RPMs. He would have been none the wiser as the car was in perfect shape after he got it back with no signs of abuse. Of course he showed this email to the valet company and they just shrugged their shoulders.

Way too many people nowadays are ethically bankrupt and will do what they think they can get away with. That's what scares me about the "sharing economy."

HangryHippo
04-28-2015, 03:23 PM
Way too many people nowadays are ethically bankrupt and will do what they think they can get away with. That's what scares me about the "sharing economy."

This!

Jersey Boss
04-28-2015, 04:02 PM
the "sharing economy."

I never could understand the terminology of this method of doing business. When I "share" something with someone there is no fee involved. Wouldn't the term "reseller" be more accurate? I did hear a report on NPR sometime within the last year and the story was about how corporations are buying up apartment complexes in some cities and in essence are faux hotels through AirBnB. . This then enables the owning companies to rent out properties without being in compliance of ADA standards or collecting the hotel/motel tax. Additionally this also raises rents for legitimate renters as it reduces the rental stock.

gopokes88
04-28-2015, 04:11 PM
I've got to wonder how these services work in states with owner liability laws (laws which hold the owner liable for any criminal acts or damage done when they consent to their car being loaned out). This may be a case like Uber where state laws will need to be updated.

Unless FlightCar has a commercial policy for your car when its being rented, (I have no idea if they do or not) you can bet if the person renting it crashes it, that claim is getting denied 10/10 for commercial activity exclusions.

Also Pete you can probably write off the miles the person drove your car as a business expense. If you made $30 that means it was driven 300 miles. I think the rate is now .55/mile. You could write off 300*(.55-.1)= $135.