View Full Version : Drive-Wise

ljbab728
11-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Due to a recent significant general increase in automobile premiums in Oklahoma by my insurance company I am opting to install a "drive-wise" device in my vehicle which will save me about $98.00 for a six month period. I easily fit the criteria for this savings. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

kevinpate
11-12-2013, 07:37 AM
My company has never, to my knowledge, instituted one of those. Not sure handling over detailed data on my driving would appeal to me even if they did. Just as easy to skip a lunch one day a month and an appetizer one evening of the month and save slightly more than that device appears to offer.

Of course, I sort of feel the same way about my free, and disabled, GPS feature on my phone. Just a quirk of mine I suppose.

rezman
11-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Kevin, I feel the same way about any late model vehicle with satellite and GPS technology. Your diving habits can already be tracked, and probably are without you even knowing it.

MadMonk
11-12-2013, 09:41 AM
There's no way we will ever use the data generated by that device against you...ever. Trust us.
-Insurance Companies

I know that all these insurance companies are marketing these types of devices as a "good driving tracker" to save you money, but it seems more likely that they will be used to screw you instead. I'm sure that plans are in place to make these devices mandatory for obtaining auto insurance in the future, but in the mean time, the less the insurance companies know about me, the better.

ljbab728
11-12-2013, 09:01 PM
My company has never, to my knowledge, instituted one of those. Not sure handling over detailed data on my driving would appeal to me even if they did. Just as easy to skip a lunch one day a month and an appetizer one evening of the month and save slightly more than that device appears to offer.

Of course, I sort of feel the same way about my free, and disabled, GPS feature on my phone. Just a quirk of mine I suppose.

Well my driving habits leave me with no worries at all about anything negative they could discover. They allow 12,000 miles per year and I normally only drive around 4-5 miles per day. You can't drive over 80 on freeways and I'm never over the speed limit. You also can't drive regularly in "the wee hours of the morning" which I never do. I rarely eat lunch out so that isn't a savings option for me, in fact I rarely eat lunch at all. On the few occasions I eat out for an evening meal I rarely order an appetizer. I understand your point and I'm sure it wouldn't work for everyone but I just can't currently see any downside for me, anyway.

kevinpate
11-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Kevin, I feel the same way about any late model vehicle with satellite and GPS technology. Your diving habits can already be tracked, and probably are without you even knowing it.

Only when I rent from Budget. I buy 'em old and drive them til the wheels fall off. Current rides are 89 tank and a 92 Honda. My adult children tend to drive newer vehicles, and as I mentioned, I rent them from time to time. But for everyday around the metro stuff .... nah.

kevinpate
11-12-2013, 09:14 PM
Well my driving habits leave me with no worries at all about anything negative they could discover. They allow 12,000 miles per year and I normally only drive around 4-5 miles per day. You can't drive over 80 on freeways and I'm never over the speed limit. You also can't drive regularly in "the wee hours of the morning" which I never do. I rarely eat lunch out so that isn't a savings option for me, in fact I rarely eat lunch at all. On the few occasions I eat out for an evening meal I rarely order an appetizer. I understand your point and I'm sure it wouldn't work for everyone but I just can't currently see any downside for me, anyway.

I think it's best if I don't get any more specific than to simply note our driving habits and times for driving vary. Oh, but do they vary.

BBatesokc
11-13-2013, 03:32 AM
My driving habits would be a real head-scratcher for the uninformed.