View Full Version : Hole-in-the-wall establishments

Pages : [1] 2

Wheres_my_shirt
11-11-2013, 09:23 AM
Hey all! Every week I'm trying to get friends together at a place most of us have never heard of. As you can imagine, finding places you don't know about can be tricky. For us, we're usually gathering at a bar/pub but I would love to hear about any type of place. And don't be worried about listing something that everyone ends up knowing about. Maybe I'm the one guy who hasn't!

The Dugout - 10909 N May Ave, Oklahoma City, OK 73120

Pretty spacious area inside with a patio outside. Has a fair amount of tvs with one projector. Good prices on drinks and a reasonable menu. It allows smoking which I wasn't into so you can be prepared for that. We watched an OU game here on Thursday and I think they do free weekly trivia on that day. Overall a decent place that I may watch a few Thunder games at.

Easy180
11-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Edna's for a lunchbox or six...Nuff said

Richard at Remax
11-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Red Rooster on 30th and Walker

loveOKC
11-11-2013, 11:05 AM
Urban Roots-Deep Duece

lasomeday
11-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Cajun King! Its so good, straight out of a hole in the wall in New Orleans.

OKCisOK4me
11-11-2013, 11:59 AM
The Mill (just west of Henry Hudson's on NW 58th Street)!

Pete
11-11-2013, 12:05 PM
The Scorecard in the Plaza District.

OKCisOK4me
11-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Martha's Tavern on 10th (about a half mile east of Council Road on the north side if the street).

Pete
11-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Neighborhood Lounge on 4th near downtown.

bradh
11-11-2013, 12:26 PM
The Wilshire Club [/thread]

Seriously, it's a great dive. We spent one evening with another couple and we hit up Wilshire Club, Store Club, The Porthole, and Mike's. Good little sample of the NW side's dive bars (although Mike's might not qualify)

OKCisOK4me
11-11-2013, 07:10 PM

Seriously, it's a great dive. We spent one evening with another couple and we hit up Wilshire Club, Store Club, The Porthole, and Mike's. Good little sample of the NW side's dive bars (although Mike's might not qualify)

I was going to mention the bar on the SW corner of 50th & Portland, alas, you knew the actual name ;-) Theh Wilshire Club is a cool lil spot. Love the backdoor entrance...

soonerguru
11-11-2013, 07:28 PM

I would really like to check that place out. Do they really offer cocktails and dancing, or is it just crappy 3.2 beer?

One advantage: short ride to the jail if things get outta hand.

soonerguru
11-11-2013, 07:29 PM
Richard's Club is a fav during Thunder games. 16th and Portland. Real blue-collar neighborhood joint.

bradh
11-11-2013, 08:33 PM
I was going to mention the bar on the SW corner of 50th & Portland, alas, you knew the actual name ;-) Theh Wilshire Club is a cool lil spot. Love the backdoor entrance...

Store Club had a kinda weird feel to it, actually felt a little more out of place there than we did at Wilshire Club. Wilshire Club appeared to be a hangout of trashy (read: more down to earth) Nichols Hills people and it was very welcoming.

You definitely would have to know where you are going to stumble upon it. My friend found out about it by pulling in to the parking lot to turn around and he saw the door and a sign.

bradh
11-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Richard's Club is a fav during Thunder games. 16th and Portland. Real blue-collar neighborhood joint.

Pass that place daily on the way home from picking up my girl from school. It was on our list for our last dive bar crawl, but we didn't make it. Were gonna hit there and Hawaiian Don's

soonerguru
11-11-2013, 09:01 PM
Pass that place daily on the way home from picking up my girl from school. It was on our list for our last dive bar crawl, but we didn't make it. Were gonna hit there and Hawaiian Don's

Both are pretty fun, albeit VERY SMOKEY. Prepare yourself. Hawaiian Don's is owned by Mick Cornett's brother, Don, a very nice guy.

bradh
11-11-2013, 09:02 PM
Both are pretty fun, albeit VERY SMOKY. Prepare yourself. Hawaiian Don's is owned by Mick Cornett's brother, Don, a very nice guy.

You go on a dive bar night, you expect smoky. Wilshire Club was the same way.

soonerguru
11-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Martha's Tavern on 10th (about a half mile east of Council Road on the north side if the street).

Please describe this place.

soonerguru
11-11-2013, 09:05 PM
You go on a dive bar night, you expect smoky. Wilshire Club was the same way.

Just don't ask for Richard. He doesn't work there. The owners kept the name to keep the license. That's why I want to know more about Martha's Tavern.

The think I've always liked about Richard's Club is their sign out front advertising their happy hour, which is 7-9 AM. You gotta love a bar that offers a happy hour at 7 a.m.

bradh
11-11-2013, 09:09 PM
Just don't ask for Richard. He doesn't work there. The owners kept the name to keep the license. That's why I want to know more about Martha's Tavern.

The think I've always liked about Richard's Club is their sign out front advertising their happy hour, which is 7-9 AM. You gotta love a bar that offers a happy hour at 7 a.m.

Hey man, third shifters need somewhere to go after a hard night's work! Speaking of, I miss reverse happy hours that we had when we lived in Phoenix

bandnerd
11-12-2013, 05:17 AM

Used to drive by that place every day to and from work. Very...um...colorful.

A friend of mine hits up the Store Club every now and then, she seems to meet some interesting characters. Granddad's on 23rd is apparently a pretty cool place, though I don't know if you'd call it a dive? I've not been. But it's definitely not a fancy place.

I know some people really like Lumpy's on NW Expressway and Mac, they have karaoke some nights.

Sipango used to be a standard divey hangout for a relative of mine, it was "his bar." According to him.

bradh
11-12-2013, 07:00 AM
Is Lumpy's the place in the Weokie building?

RadicalModerate
11-12-2013, 08:10 AM
Did Martha's Bar used to be The Lamplighter Club? (like, back in the '70s)

Pete
11-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Neighborhood Lounge has a full bar and karaoke on Thursday nights.

It's also smoke-free.

ctchandler
11-12-2013, 10:06 AM
Pahdz,
Yes, and there is another one on North May, just North of 122nd.
C. T.
Is Lumpy's the place in the Weokie building?

Jeepnokc
11-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Halftime Grill on Newcastle Road in Wheatland. Fried Chicken almost as good as Eischen's and stiff drinks

RadicalModerate
11-12-2013, 11:06 AM
I have never driven by (Bearz) 3020 Club (30th and Penn) without wanting to stop in and check it out. And I've driven by there hundreds of times without actually stopping. Always on my way to do something else . . . Anyone ever been in there?

OKCisOK4me
11-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Please describe this place.

Small. Very small. I think their fire code capacity is 35 or something like that. I can't remember if it's a beer only bar cause I only went there one time. Talking about Martha's on 10th. Don't know what it was in the 70s since I was a new born in '78.

Jeepnokc
11-12-2013, 12:20 PM
I have never driven by (Bearz) 3020 Club (30th and Penn) without wanting to stop in and check it out. And I've driven by there hundreds of times without actually stopping. Always on my way to do something else . . . Anyone ever been in there?

Went there a few times when I was at ocu. They took over the space next door so it is a little bigger than it looks. Beer bar but the big mugs are cheap and cold. Dartboard and pool tables. It is definitely a dive bar. Used to be a lot of the ocu frat boys hanging there

OKCisOK4me
11-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Went there a few times when I was at ocu. They took over the space next door so it is a little bigger than it looks. Beer bar but the big mugs are cheap and cold. Dartboard and pool tables. It is definitely a dive bar. Used to be a lot of the ocu frat boys hanging there

A friend of a friend owns that bar. Forgot about it too, as I've only been there a few times. His family is up there kicking all the time too.

Jeepnokc
11-12-2013, 12:34 PM
A friend of a friend owns that bar. Forgot about it too, as I've only been there a few times. His family is up there kicking all the time too.

Does Jerome still own it?

bradh
11-12-2013, 12:42 PM
There is some place up in Edmond off Coltrane and 2nd that a church buddy of mine told me was pretty hard dive bar. Can't remember the name though.

RadicalModerate
11-12-2013, 02:16 PM
There is some place up in Edmond off Coltrane and 2nd that a church buddy of mine told me was pretty hard dive bar. Can't remember the name though.

It's called Cee Gee's Club now. I can't remember what it was called the one and only time I was in there back in the '80s. I think it had some sort of "Cowboy"/"Western" label back then. It reminded me of some of the dive bars I used to hang out in back in the '70s (except less "dumpy"). (closest thing to a "bar" for me now is Sean Cummings')

OKCisOK4me
11-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Does Jerome still own it?

No, his name is Raphael.

It's called Cee Gee's Club now. I can't remember what it was called the one and only time I was in there back in the '80s. I think it had some sort of "Cowboy"/"Western" label back then. It reminded me of some of the dive bars I used to hang out in back in the '70s (except less "dumpy"). (closest thing to a "bar" for me now is Sean Cummings')

Yeah, it was definitely a western themed bar. It was a regular place my mom would go when I was a kid.

Garin
11-12-2013, 02:41 PM
By George tavern @ 901 NW 64th

loveOKC
11-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Ice Event Center-Great Catfish and Hamburgers on NE 36th between Kelley and Everest
BoBo's- Great Late night Chicken option on NE 23rd between Kelley and MLK. Get there around 8pm. Chicken is perfect at that time

soonerguru
11-12-2013, 05:46 PM

OMG, you made it to the Porthole? Always wondered about that place. Did you bring your swim trunks and whistles? Somehow I imagine being overwhelmed with the smell of smoke, chlorine, stale beer, and man musk.

RadicalModerate
11-12-2013, 06:06 PM
I accidentally stopped in at the Porthole for a quick beer and a bump, on the way back out to Jones, one night, before I learned the reputation of the place. Thankfully, there was just one old sop, at a stool far down the bar, who didn't try to strike up a conversation.

fyi: a beer and a bump means a draft beer and a shot of whiskey. not whatever it was [you] might have thought =).

OKCisOK4me
11-12-2013, 06:50 PM
OMG, you made it to the Porthole? Always wondered about that place. Did you bring your swim trunks and whistles? Somehow I imagine being overwhelmed with the smell of smoke, chlorine, stale beer, and man musk.

Might be the perfect place to sport that new bacon deodorant out at!

bradh
11-12-2013, 07:09 PM
So, it does have that reputation? We had a hunch, but weren't sure. It actually had more females than male, and the best talent behind the bar.

soonerguru
11-12-2013, 07:51 PM
I accidentally stopped in at the Porthole for a quick beer and a bump, on the way back out to Jones, one night, before I learned the reputation of the place. Thankfully, there was just one old sop, at a stool far down the bar, who didn't try to strike up a conversation.

fyi: a beer and a bump means a draft beer and a shot of whiskey. not whatever it was [you] might have thought =).

At the Porthole, a "bump" could probably mean several things, though I thought it odd you were going to a bar to do a line of coke.

soonerguru
11-12-2013, 07:51 PM
So, it does have that reputation? We had a hunch, but weren't sure. It actually had more females than male, and the best talent behind the bar.

Was the pool open?

bradh
11-12-2013, 08:10 PM
There's a pool? We stayed toward the front of the house, didn't wander too much.

soonerguru
11-12-2013, 11:03 PM
There's a pool? We stayed toward the front of the house, didn't wander too much.

It was known for that at one time. Kinda had a bathhouse rep. Never went there so it's all urban legend to me.

icecold
11-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Cookies (next to Someplace Else Deli)

Wheres_my_shirt
11-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Great suggestions everyone! Been to a few of these places now.

OKCisOK4me
11-18-2013, 04:07 PM
Great suggestions everyone! Been to a few of these places now.

So where all have you been?

RadicalModerate
11-18-2013, 05:37 PM
So where all have you been?

Did you really mean "So where have y[ou]' all been?"

I wonder how the hole-in-the-wall dive bars of today compare to The Crutch . . . The Red Barrel . . . The Sawmill Club . . . The Nook . . . Punkin's Place . . . The Corner Lounge . . . and The Hobby Hut. Not to mention Maurice's Club, The Eagles Nest, and The Frog Pond. All gone, but not forgotten. =)

OKCisOK4me
11-18-2013, 05:46 PM

I wonder how the hole-in-the-wall dive bars of today compare to The Crutch . . . The Red Barrel . . . The Sawmill Club . . . The Nook . . . Punkin's Place . . . The Corner Lounge . . . and The Hobby Hut. Not to mention Maurice's Club, The Eagles Nest, and The Frog Pond. All gone, but not forgotten. =)

ummmm, no. I meant "where ALL have you been?"

RadicalModerate
11-18-2013, 05:49 PM
(I figured that's what you meant . . .)

SoonerQueen
11-18-2013, 09:45 PM

Don't forget The Apartment Key Club. It was so fun back in the day. It later became Danny's Blues Saloon. I had many fun hours at that place.

Tritone
11-19-2013, 09:07 PM
Martha's is east of Council and Lamplighter is/was west of Council.

Urbanized
11-20-2013, 07:02 AM
Halftime Grill on Newcastle Road in Wheatland. Fried Chicken almost as good as Eischen's and stiff drinks

ALMOST as good as Eischen's? I guess they didn't set the bar too high then. They should have instead shot for KFC, Church's, Popeyes, or some random grocery store deli case, and then they could have been BETTER than Eischen's. I'm sorry, Eischen's is ONLY about the road trip. It has a good chicken rep because nobody wants to admit that they drove that far for mediocre food.

HangryHippo
11-20-2013, 08:07 AM
ALMOST as good as Eischen's? I guess they didn't set the bar too high then. They should have instead shot for KFC, Church's, Popeyes, or some random grocery store deli case, and then they could have been BETTER than Eischen's. I'm sorry, Eischen's is ONLY about the road trip. It has a good chicken rep because nobody wants to admit that they drove that far for mediocre food.

You, sir, are incorrect. Eischen's is delicious.

RadicalModerate
11-20-2013, 08:19 AM
The only problem with Eischen's is that they only offer fried okra as a side.
(what? no french fries? obviously they have some deep fryers . . .)

Thanks for the info about The Lamplighter, Tritone.

There's a hole-in-the-wall dive bar, called Boots n' Saddles, at the corner of 23rd and Bryant that is apparently still in operation.
Somehow I doubt that it's retained it's "cowboy/western" character . . . =)

Urbanized
11-20-2013, 11:18 AM
You, sir, are incorrect. Eischen's is delicious.

Spoken like someone who is too embarrassed to admit they like to roadtrip for mediocre chicken... ;)

HangryHippo
11-20-2013, 12:20 PM
Spoken like someone who is too embarrassed to admit they like to roadtrip for mediocre chicken... ;)

Haha, I'll drive to the far reaches of Oklahoma for that mediocre chicken!

Prunepicker
11-22-2013, 07:53 PM
I don't know if this place qualifies but I like Tim's Drive In located at
N.W. 50th and N. MacArthur. Darn good burgers and footlongs. They
have Indian tacos, too.

Dang, looks like Midge and I are going to have to make a trip soon.

Midge is my live in girlfriend, a 12 year old Yellow Labrador Retriever that
the Vet thought was only 4 or 5 years old. She's sooooooooo healthy.

Prunepicker
11-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Haha, I'll drive to the far reaches of Oklahoma for that mediocre chicken!
So will I. It's darn good chicken. I can't help but wonder what people
who don't like Eischen's think is good fried chicken? I mean besides Mom's.

Prunepicker
11-22-2013, 08:00 PM
The only problem with Eischen's is that they only offer fried okra as a side.
My Mom is from the south and we always, without fail, had rice and gravy
for our side.

The south grows rice and NOT potatoes. It also grows cotton but it's not
very good with gravy and I don't care who makes the gravy.

This has got to be a "vast Yankee conspiracy."

Rice rules...
Potatoes drool.