View Full Version : Trip back to OKC

CurtisJ
11-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Hi everyone,
I've got a 1 week trip back to OKC planned starting this Wednesday, I've been away for about a year and I will have a few dozen coworkers joining me for the last few days of the trip.

What are the essential restaurants that opened in the last 12-14 months that I need to experience? I know there are alot to choose from, but I'm going to be very busy so lets try to narrow it down to 3-5.

Thanks

Teo9969
11-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Guernsey Park (23rd)
Kitchen 324 (Braniff)

Pete
11-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Here is a quick, long list:

Interesting Local Restaurants - OKCTalk (http://www.okctalk.com/showwiki.php?title=Interesting+Local+Restaurants)

Vast is worth a visit; very unique and food is good enough.

Back Door BBQ is pretty darn good and a fun place.
Empire Slice House is really fun and hip -- same with The Mule.
Waffle Champion for breakfast or lunch
Joey's Pizza is fun and good
Packard's
Whiskey Cake is excellent IMO, just further afield
RePUBlic -- great beer selection, ultra cool setting, food is quite good
Cafe 501 Classen Curve -- another great setting with very good food

Established and can't miss:

Cheever's
RED Prime

lasomeday
11-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Ludivine! Its my favorite and definitely waffle champion for breakfast.

CurtisJ
11-05-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks.

Cheevers is by far my favorite in Oklahoma City.

I think, for this trip, that my short list will be:
The Mule
Guernsey Park
Waffle Champion
Either Packards or Kitchen 324

And Ludivine, I lived walking distance from it for a year and a half and never made it in, I think its time I correct this injustice.

Finally, speaking of Vast, can you get a reservation there on short notice these days?

Pete
11-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Finally, speaking of Vast, can you get a reservation there on short notice these days?

Yes, apart from Saturday nights.

Bellaboo
11-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Thanks.

Cheevers is by far my favorite in Oklahoma City.

I think, for this trip, that my short list will be:
The Mule
Guernsey Park
Waffle Champion

And Ludivine, I lived walking distance from it for a year and a half and never made it in, I think its time I correct this injustice.

Not sure if it was mentioned, but I've been to the bar a couple of times and walked right in (without reservation) on a week night and sat at the window, and we had a very good dining experience with VAST.... I loved their scallops.

Both a little pricey though.

dankrutka
11-05-2013, 07:54 PM

Kitchen 324 > Packard's

Teo9969
11-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Waffle Champion is a chain, no?

It's good, don't get me wrong, but if you're looking to get OKC things while in OKC, I'd miss that one.

If you were thinking about doing W.C. for breakfast/brunch, I'd recommend either Pizza 23 or Kitchen 324…Or even Nic's breakfast!

andrew3077
11-05-2013, 08:27 PM

It's good, don't get me wrong, but if you're looking to get OKC things while in OKC, I'd miss that one.

If you were thinking about doing W.C. for breakfast/brunch, I'd recommend either Pizza 23 or Kitchen 324…Or even Nic's breakfast!

You might be confusing Waffle Champion for Waffle House. Spectacular (if not pricey) waffles/waffle sandwiches!

Teo9969
11-05-2013, 08:40 PM
You might be confusing Waffle Champion for Waffle House. Spectacular (if not pricey) waffles/waffle sandwiches!

Definitely not confusing it with Waffle House…I just got it in my mind sometime earlier (through a Facebook post) that it was a chain. After a brief google search, I am happy to say I am wrong.

Mike_M
11-08-2013, 05:21 AM
Definitely not confusing it with Waffle House…I just got it in my mind sometime earlier (through a Facebook post) that it was a chain. After a brief google search, I am happy to say I am wrong.

Waffle champion is tasty no doubt, but the wait is pretty insane. If you're trying to give a good impression if okc then I'd definitely skip it and do kitchen 324. That place and Guernsey Park are cant miss home runs in my opinion.

Urban Pioneer
11-08-2013, 07:10 AM
Weekday mornings have a wait? I know Saturday usually does but thought weekdays were quicker.

TechArch
11-08-2013, 07:40 AM
I went to Waffle Champion on a Friday for lunch and there was no wait.

soonerguru
11-08-2013, 07:09 PM

No, it is NOT a chain. Geez. There's only one, and it's great. And the longest I've had to wait is about 10 minutes. No biggie.

RadicalModerate
11-08-2013, 11:11 PM
Hi everyone,
I've got a 1 week trip back to OKC planned starting this Wednesday, I've been away for about a year and I will have a few dozen coworkers joining me for the last few days of the trip.

What are the essential restaurants that opened in the last 12-14 months that I need to experience? I know there are alot to choose from, but I'm going to be very busy so lets try to narrow it down to 3-5.

Thanks

Quick Question(s):

How many dozens does "a few dozen" mean?
Do you like chicken fried stakes?
How do you feel about tar(s) and feathers(s)?

Don't want your wait(s) at a Local restaurant to be too long, doncha know.

It's, like, essential.

I suggest Nic's for burgers.
Be sure to butt in line.

Mel
11-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Del Rancho.

RadicalModerate
11-08-2013, 11:45 PM
Tho' not technically "OKC" proper . . .
"Pop's" out around Arcadia might suit the needs of Your Entourage?
"Pop's" is noted for Pampering . . . Plus, once you wade thru the walmartians . . .
the burgers are at least average. honestly average. no grade cheating.

Whatever you do, don't allow your "dozens" to overwhelm the Customer--or even Visitor--capabilities of an establishment such as . . . .
oh . . . i dunno . . . fer instance . . . The Tuck's Good Egg Group?

Setting Reasonable Expectations is a good opportunity to avoid disappointment.
(ain't it?)
(of course it is. especially with reservations.)

OKCisOK4me
11-09-2013, 10:01 AM
No, it is NOT a chain. Geez. There's only one, and it's great. And the longest I've had to wait is about 10 minutes. No biggie.

No biggie to wait, but you have to make it a biggie for someone who already posted a "I was admittedly wrong" post after their initial post. Come on now soonerguru...

Prunepicker
11-09-2013, 11:20 PM
Ludivine! Its my favorite and definitely waffle champion for breakfast.
I'm going to have to try it. Thanx.

Prunepicker
11-09-2013, 11:22 PM
Del Rancho.
I like Del Rancho. Tres bien.

soonerliberal
11-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Looking to give my parents a Christmas gift of "dinner and a movie" since they don't often get to have date nights out alone together. I also want to spread their wings past Charleston's (their weekly easy go-to place). They like casual, but nice and newer places, but don't really keep up with what's new. Last year, I did Cafe 501 and they loved dinner there. They also aren't big fans of the white tablecloth type restaurants. Their preference is keeping it under $20 per entree and $10 for a glass of wine (basically around $75 for dinner). Is there anything you all would recommend in that arena?

catcherinthewry
11-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Tho' not technically "OKC" proper . . .
"Pop's" out around Arcadia might suit the needs of Your Entourage?
"Pop's" is noted for Pampering . . . Plus, once you wade thru the walmartians . . .
the burgers are at least average. honestly average. no grade cheating.

Why drive that far for an average burger when there are plenty of options that are closer and better? I like Pop's architecture, but wouldn't go back for the food.

Nick's is a great place, but if you have a dozen with you that's a non-starter. If they don't mind hole-in-the-wall eateries I would recommend Coney Island or Tacoville (on Newcastle rd just after in veers off of 29th).

Urbanized
11-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Waffle Champion's brand, logo and menu are carefully designed for expansion and franchising - something the owner is open about - but a year ago its only location was a food truck that usually located on NW 23rd. As of right now, it is about as far from a chain restaurant as you can imagine...other than the over-the-top popularity.

RadicalModerate
11-23-2013, 10:20 AM
Why drive that far for an average burger when there are plenty of options that are closer and better? I like Pop's architecture, but wouldn't go back for the food.

Nick's is a great place, but if you have a dozen with you that's a non-starter. If they don't mind hole-in-the-wall eateries I would recommend Coney Island or Tacoville (on Newcastle rd just after in veers off of 29th).

You are correct, of course (regarding Pop's).

RadicalModerate
11-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Looking to give my parents a Christmas gift of "dinner and a movie" since they don't often get to have date nights out alone together. I also want to spread their wings past Charleston's (their weekly easy go-to place). They like casual, but nice and newer places, but don't really keep up with what's new. Last year, I did Cafe 501 and they loved dinner there. They also aren't big fans of the white tablecloth type restaurants. Their preference is keeping it under $20 per entree and $10 for a glass of wine (basically around $75 for dinner). Is there anything you all would recommend in that arena?

In no particular order:
Sean Cummings Irish Pub (N. May) (Pub Food and some tasty main dishes)
Vito's (Next to Sean Cummings) (Italian)
Moni's (Way up N. May) (Italian)
Chef's di Domani (Platt College, Memorial Road) (a small selection of varied, excellent, dishes--if they are still serving)

OKCisOK4me
11-23-2013, 10:29 AM

Last time I ate out there (heck it was the only time) I had their BLT, which they actually call the BELT because it has eggs on it. Let me say, "damn, it was good!" I'm sure anywhere can make that kind of thing, but that was the first and only place I've eaten that combo. :cool:

catch22
11-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Weekday mornings have a wait? I know Saturday usually does but thought weekdays were quicker.

I go every week some day during the week between 10 am and 11am and usually no wait. Went on a friday around 8am and waited about 5 minutes to order and 15 minutes for my food.

HARDLY a deterrent.

I hope they don't expand too much or too fast. I like it being a niche and don't want to see it become another chain.

Urbanized
11-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Why wouldn't you want to see them expand the concept if that's what they want to do? It only means they are successful. Tucker's, S&B...they have expanded but I don't think it has affected the quality or appeal of the originals (well, I will count 9th Street as "original" for S&B). In fact MOST of the new concepts added to the downtown area in the past few years have at the very least been part of a larger restaurant group.

I understand being unenthusiastic about most national chains, but wish the best for most locals.

catch22
11-23-2013, 11:22 AM
I do wish them success, of course. But, I don't want them to expand too quickly, like some restaurants do. It takes the charm out of it. I like the downtown area to be THE place for niche restaurants.

foodiefan
11-23-2013, 11:41 AM
back to OP's original question. . .OKCMOA still does a "dinner and a movie" special. . .

Teo9969
11-24-2013, 06:11 PM
I do wish them success, of course. But, I don't want them to expand too quickly, like some restaurants do. It takes the charm out of it. I like the downtown area to be THE place for niche restaurants.

I think 23rd wins the niche restaurant game.