View Full Version : Ice-less Earth

venture
11-03-2013, 10:39 PM
National Geographic posted these images...pretty interesting. Last occurred 34 million years ago. 20,000 years ago Chicago was under ice. Here is North American with no more surface ice. Bye bye Mickey. Pine Bluff, AR becomes a new coastal port town. QUICK! Buy your land while it's cheap.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2013/09/rising-seas/if-ice-melted-map

http://s.ngm.com/2013/09/rising-seas/gatefold/RS_Web_NA_15M_v3.jpg

ThomPaine
11-04-2013, 04:18 AM
California's agricultural region would be underwater too. Interesting.

Garin
11-04-2013, 05:52 AM
Where's the proof? Are there eye witness accounts, photos, anything? Just some more folks trying to sell something to the gullible......

MadMonk
11-04-2013, 05:59 AM
Interesting, but who can say what the next 5,000 years will bring? Hopefully the human race will be as advanced compared to us as we are compared to those in 3,000BC. Its also a little odd how little Africa is affected (comparatively). I didn't realize that they were so much higher in elevation (except some coastal areas). Europe and Asia are the really big losers (as well as Antarctica).
http://s.ngm.com/2013/09/rising-seas/gatefold/RS_Web_Africa_15M_v3.jpg

venture
11-04-2013, 06:02 AM
Bleh...trolls aren't worth it.

venture
11-04-2013, 06:06 AM
Interesting, but who can say what the next 5,000 years will bring? Hopefully the human race will be as advanced compared to us as we are compared to those in 3,000BC. Its also a little odd how little Africa is touched. I didn't realize that they were so much higher in elevation (except some coastal areas).

Yup I agree. If the planet wants to warm up again, it'll do it. Nothing we can really do about it - at least today.

I did find Africa pretty interesting in how they are high enough to avoid losing a lot. Antarctica is half gone, but it is also half ice as well. :)

MadMonk
11-04-2013, 06:18 AM
I started to wonder if tectonic movement would effect this prediction much, but then realized that we are talking much longer time frames than 5,000 years. :wink:

David
11-04-2013, 07:43 AM
Where's the proof? Are there eye witness accounts, photos, anything? Just some more folks trying to sell something to the gullible......

We know how much water there is in the oceans and how much ice we have (ice caps, glaciers, etc.), and we have extremely detailed elevation measurements on pretty much the entire planet. Drawing up new maps based on a combination of the two is just a math problem.

OKCisOK4me
11-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Half of Kuwait is gonna be gone. Well, that was wasted money...

Plutonic Panda
11-04-2013, 11:32 AM
I am not sure I would really care if we lost all the ice. It would suck not to have Epcot or Downtown Disney though. ;)

selfishness, don't the meaning of it ;P

bradh
11-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Half of Kuwait is gonna be gone. Well, that was wasted money...

Invest in offshore exploration :)

venture
11-04-2013, 01:54 PM
I am not sure I would really care if we lost all the ice. It would suck not to have Epcot or Downtown Disney though. ;)

selfishness, don't the meaning of it ;P

I would miss having a winter. :-P

Roger S
11-04-2013, 02:00 PM
I would miss having a winter. :-P

I'm just the opposite... I'd be perfectly happy with a perpetual summer. :cool:

venture
11-04-2013, 02:23 PM
I'm just the opposite... I'd be perfectly happy with a perpetual summer. :cool:

Well not everyone can be sane and stable. :-P LOL

Garin
11-04-2013, 05:48 PM
We know how much water there is in the oceans and how much ice we have (ice caps, glaciers, etc.), and we have extremely detailed elevation measurements on pretty much the entire planet. Drawing up new maps based on a combination of the two is just a math problem..

So we have proof for let's be generous and say the last 300 years , the article talks about 20k years ago and 34mil years ago????? Zero proof of anything really just trying to sell something to the gullible.

Plutonic Panda
11-04-2013, 07:22 PM
I would miss having a winter. :-PI'm sure you would really like a mini ice age then lololol. . . I wouldn't really either way. I just don't like these "mild" winters, they're boring. If it is going to be like this, it might as well just be 80 degrees all winter long or be super cold with constant snow storms. I prefer option 2 during the winter, but thats me :)

venture
11-04-2013, 07:38 PM
I'm sure you would really like a mini ice age then lololol. . . I wouldn't really either way. I just don't like these "mild" winters, they're boring. If it is going to be like this, it might as well just be 80 degrees all winter long or be super cold with constant snow storms. I prefer option 2 during the winter, but thats me :)

I miss my snowmobile in the winter. :)

ljbab728
11-04-2013, 09:10 PM
I guess this will take long enough that I won't have to worry about what to put in my scotch and water. :cheersmf: