View Full Version : Eats Downtown

hipsterdoofus
07-19-2005, 03:26 PM
I'm new here so there may be something like this already, but seriously, can you have too much of this?

What are your favorite eating spots downtown? Mostly I'm talking like lunch break type places or perhaps little known spots?

Personally, I have frequented:

Golden Dragon in the First National building. Chinese buffet - not huge, but lunch for $5 is not bad!

Lunch Box on Sheridan between Hudson and Walker - good cafeteria style almost.

There are others of course, but just thought I'd get this started. Feel free to expand to other areas too, I love to hear about little good restaurants that don't get any press.

mranderson
07-19-2005, 03:31 PM
A downtown staple for decades has been Coney Island. They make very simple hotdogs and are extreemly inexpensive.

Many major chains have locations downtown as well now. Subway, and I think Chick Filet just to name a couple.

BDP
07-19-2005, 04:44 PM
There's Thai Kitchen. Not the best thai in the city, imo, but pretty good. People really like their pad thai and spicy chicken. There's a actually a few non-chain places you can eat. I know there's a decent grill in Oklahoma tower.

hipsterdoofus
07-19-2005, 04:49 PM
Yeah, I am really excited that a new subway opened on Harvey just north of Park. Right across the street from me! I have noticed that their prices are higher on a couple of things than other subways.

Also, I concur on Thai Palace, although their prices went up a while back, but they are very good, and they definately get to where they recognize you if you are a regular.

floater
07-19-2005, 07:57 PM
When I worked downtown, some of the favorites were The Buzz coffeehouse in First National, Snow Pea at the Robinson Renaissance food court, Quizno's on Robinson, the Ground Floor Cafe at Leadership Square, and Sweets & Eats right next to Quizno's.

For a nicer lunch, I'd go to the Museum Cafe or or La Luna on Reno. Then there's the Bricktown places. Lunch is probably a less expensive way to enjoy the cuisine at The Mantel and Nonna's.

The Old Downtown Guy
07-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Johnny’s Lunch Box is an OKC legend as is Coney Island around the corner. Greek spaghetti with chili and cheese is my favorite at Coney Island. The new owner of the Lunch Box has added several new menu items; burgers, cesar salad and chicken noodle soup as well as updating a few of the standards. Still offers a very good corned beef sandwich.

A little further north at 12th & Hudson, a long walk or a short scooter ride, is a new spot located in the old "Busy Bee Diner" location. (only real moss backs will remember the Busy Bee) Taste The Caribbean offers excellent curries, rice and beans, jerk chicken, seafood dishes and a variety of Jamaican soft drinks.

If COTPA would get on the ball and extend a trolley loop up to Plaza Court and east to the medical center, we all could ride up to Taste The Caribbean and Cafe Do Brazil when it reopens in about a month at 11th and Walker.

Not as upscale as The Buzz, Brown's Bakery at 10Walker Circle is still tops for morning coffee etc.

raneman
07-19-2005, 10:57 PM
I love Lunch Box too. Stay away from Pizza Town. Hipsterdoofus and I ate there for lunch one day and there was a roach crawling along the buffet.

I wish Jaime's Grill on the Hill would open a place up in Downtown. They are located in Capitol Hill near the Oklahoma Opry. Easily my favorite restaurant in OKC for lunch, when our offices moved from the Capitol Hill Library to the new Downtown Library, I had to say goodbye to Jaime's.

hipsterdoofus
07-20-2005, 07:20 AM
Yup, Jaime's needs to open a location on mainstreet downtown. Corner of main and Hudson would be fine. Ooh..I know, they need to move into the current bus station as in our idea in that other thread :-)

brianinok
07-20-2005, 07:59 AM
When I worked downtown, I used to eat at this Chinese place down in the Conncourse. It's probably under the BancFirst building, but I don't know for sure. It was always packed for lunch, and was quite good and less than $5 for buffet and coke at the time.

hipsterdoofus
07-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Yeah, there is a Chinese place in the concourse under the first national. Its not far from the Chinese place that is inside the first national building. I ate there once several years ago, but in my experience, it is not as good as Golden Dragon. I think the price difference is about 5 cents between the two.

Patrick
07-20-2005, 01:41 PM
I'm hoping the Greatful Bean Cafe returns in the old Kaiser ice cream building on NW 10th once construction is complete on NW 10th.

floater
07-20-2005, 01:51 PM
I'm hoping the Greatful Bean Cafe returns in the old Kaiser ice cream building on NW 10th once construction is complete on NW 10th.

I do too. With the new landscaping and roundabout, it'd be a nice place to grab a bite and watch the cars navigate the circle.

hotstuff
07-20-2005, 02:15 PM
When I worked downtown, favorite places were The Library (can't remember the name of the building it's in -- but has the food court in the basement), The Buzz and Markie's Deli near the memorial.

escan
07-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Also, try the food at the Over the Counter bar on Park. They used to have a Thursday special of a chicken fried steak sandwich and homemade chicken noodle soup. It's the best steak sandwich and soup I've ever had!

Love the chicken salad at Ground Floor and Interurban isn't too bad either.

HOT ROD
07-20-2005, 06:49 PM
Sounds like there are a lot of great eateries in downtown Oklahoma City.

I just have one question, why dont the city advertise those restaurants to tourists and visitors of downtown? Im sure they could truly benefit from the renaissance just like Bricktown has.

It almost seems that OKC promotes Bricktown to death and does not even mention the many good places in the skyscrapers, not to mention the other "local" establishments.

I wish someday that OKC can recognize the true potential of the city by letting everyone (not just special interests) prosper and share in the promotion of downtown. Maybe then we could really see a major increase in tax revenue as well as return visits to the city!!!

jbrown84
07-20-2005, 08:09 PM
Actually Hot Rod, most of those places are only open for lunch during the week, so that is probably why they aren't pushed much in tourist publications.

hipsterdoofus
07-21-2005, 07:37 AM
True, Jbrown. Most of those places close after 2 or so. At the same time, I will also say that they are indeed benefiting from the prosperity downtown. As downtown does well, more people move in, and these establishments get more business. It is a bit sad that the main part of downtown goes to sleep after 5 wheneverone goes home for the day, but as more apartments are going in downtown, I think that will change.

The Old Downtown Guy
07-21-2005, 08:52 AM
According to the Kaiser building's owner, Peter Schafer, there is not a good chance that The Bean will reopen. This may not be a bad thing if a new operator takes this location in the near future. Peter has had an inquiry from City Bites and a couple of others, but no takers so far. I don’t think that he is actively marketing the site. The Bean's food was OK, but not terribly creative; a little short in the spice department for my taste, though I did eat there from time to time.

The addition of the wider brick sidewalk on the north side of the Kaiser's building turns this into a great cafe location. Something on the order of La Madeleine of Dallas would attract good crowds I think. As Plaza Court comes back into the picture, the 10Walker circle could become one of the most interesting pedestrian areas of OKC and Kaiser’s is a major component of that potential street life.

hipsterdoofus
07-21-2005, 08:58 AM
Would be nice if we could get a Jason's Deli downtown too. Talk about good taters! :-)

fromdust
07-21-2005, 08:21 PM
has anyone been to the ground floor cafe in leader ship square? not bad at all.

fromdust
07-21-2005, 08:22 PM
has anyone been to the ground floor cafe in leadership square? not bad at all.

floater
07-21-2005, 09:10 PM
...The addition of the wider brick sidewalk on the north side of the Kaiser's building turns this into a great cafe location. Something on the order of La Madeleine of Dallas would attract good crowds I think. As Plaza Court comes back into the picture, the 10Walker circle could become one of the most interesting pedestrian areas of OKC and Kaiser’s is a major component of that potential street life.

Yeah! It has the potential to be (and should be) the heart of Midtown. Lay out some game tables, some benches, a used bookshop, and an Oklahoma Spirit stop, and you'd be on your way. A nice piece of public art in the middle of the roundabout would cap it off.

escan
07-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Floater-

I agree about the art in the middle of the roundabout. Unfortunately, there are NO city funds to do that. St. Anthony will begin a fundraising campaign for projects just like that in 2006. In addition, funds raised will be used to do streetlamps and improve sidewalks in the Midtown area.

floater
07-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Floater-

I agree about the art in the middle of the roundabout. Unfortunately, there are NO city funds to do that. St. Anthony will begin a fundraising campaign for projects just like that in 2006. In addition, funds raised will be used to do streetlamps and improve sidewalks in the Midtown area.

Good to know. By the way, I love that concrete art deco ornamentation on the building (if you are from St. Anthony). If it's new, it's a nice touch; I admit I've never looked at the hospital much, but they are becoming a great catalyst for Midtown.

HOT ROD
07-25-2005, 01:16 PM
Actually Hot Rod, most of those places are only open for lunch during the week, so that is probably why they aren't pushed much in tourist publications.

This is exactly my point. When I visited OKC recently, I had no idea there were tons of restaurants (and local fare) in the downtown skyscrapers and lower levels. The only thing promoted was Bricktown. It seemed like the only thing going on in OKC was Bricktown, and that is pretty sad for a city as big as OKC.

OF COURSE, I know there is more to OKC than just the tourist trap - given I am from there. I knew where to go. But, I nor the other tourists, was not aware of the eateries in the rest of downtown. It seemed like they were Off Limits for us, that everyone wanted us to only go to Bricktown.

When I visit other major cities, all of their downtown gets advertised. They detail all districts and there are (at least) little ads for restaurants and shoppes, more than just the tourist traps.

While I agree that business may be better for the rest of downtown given the renaissance, I think it is sad that they are only open during lunch - when OKC DOES have tourists and business travelers staying downtown now. I think the businesses should advertise (or the city do it for them, for free - like Bricktown) and they should open for dinner.

Give you an example, downtown has a Chick Fil A. You may not think much about this place, BUT I live in SEATTLE and we have NONE!!! It would have been nice that I could have walked from my hotel two blocks to a Chick Fil A, one of my favourite original sandwiches. I know OKC has them in their malls, but I am not a mall guy. I would prefer the anchor store location and it would have been nice to know - I would have gone there at least twice.

This is what Im talking about. Sure, my tab at Chick Fil A would not come near as close to the tab I ended up paying at Mickey's, BUT not everyone wants to go to tourist traps and many of us dont have the eateries that you have in OKC. I think since the city advertises Bricktown then they should do the same for the rest of downtown (and the inner city districts)!!!

Let all of downtown experience the renaissance, then you all will see more pedestrian traffic as WE tourists WALK and SHOP in your downtown.

Continue the Renaissance!!