View Full Version : Regional Vacation Destination

OKCisOK4me
10-31-2013, 04:23 PM
So many threads have been started up about travel to exotic places both far and wide outside of the United States and pretty much on the other side of the world.

My question is where would you like to get away to either here in Oklahoma for a staycay or one of our bordering states?

For me, in Oklahoma, it would have to be either Medicine Park down by the Wichita Mountains or down in far southeastern Oklahoma in the Ouachita range area, which I have never been to (I've been on the Talahina Drive but only to go to the Veterans Home and no further) and can only imagine is very beautiful this time of year with the leaves changing over. As for outside Oklahoma, in a state the borders our state, I'd have to go with Colorado. I just love the mountains. It's something that here is not, lots of altitude change, hiking, camping, outdoorsy. To be outdoorsy here isn't like there. I would live in Colorado if I could. There is just tons of activity in Colorado. One thing I have yet to do that I'd like to do is trace the original route of the Denver Rio Grand & Southern which dropped west and south out of Durango, wrapped around through Mancos, northwesterly toward Delores, then back northeastward toward Telluride and then back up and around to Ridgeway. Most of that highway was built on the original narrow gauge line. There's a spot between Hermosa and Mancos that still has a watering tower on the line. If it wasn't trespassing, I'd love to find that tower and take a pic of a relic from the past!

The following pic is from the Denver & Rio Grand Western line between Cumbers, NM & Durango, CO.
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3818/10598897424_7a881c68de.jpg

My knowledge of the old narrow gauge lines of Southern/Central Colorado and Northern New Mexico is like Doug Dawg's extensive research of the former interurban and trolley lines of OKC. It IS my hobby, lol. I think it'd be fun to hike portions of the line. That's my regional vacation spot.

So how about the rest of you?

Stew
10-31-2013, 04:26 PM
I never grow tired of Santa Fe/Albuquerque. It's my fave regional getaway.

kelroy55
10-31-2013, 04:38 PM
Eureka Springs is a really nice place to visit.

OKCisOK4me
10-31-2013, 04:57 PM
I never grow tired of Santa Fe/Albuquerque. It's my fave regional getaway.

Yeah, I looked at Albuquerque as a possible city to live in but a lot of locals say it's a dump and full if drug addicts--meth obviously as AMC knows. I'd still love to get out there though for a small vacation. Take a ride up to the Sandia Peaks or hike up as there is a trail. Santa Fe is also beautiful. Went there for a weekend family reunion back in 2004. We rafted the Rio Grande. It was awesome. Definitely a lot of art shopping. Georgia O'Keefe.

OKCisOK4me
10-31-2013, 05:02 PM
Eureka Springs is a really nice place to visit.

Yes, so I've heard. It would be my goal to stay at the Crescent Hotel...which I'm sure has a long waiting list. Speaking of Northern Arkansas, have you ever been to Gaston's on the White River? It's a lodge downstream and below the dam on Bull Shoals Lake. We used to go there a few times when I was a kid. Caught my first and only "lunker" there!

kelroy55
10-31-2013, 05:05 PM
Yes, so I've heard. It would be my goal to stay at the Crescent Hotel...which I'm sure has a long waiting list. Speaking of Northern Arkansas, have you ever been to Gaston's on the White River? It's a lodge downstream and below the dam on Bull Shoals Lake. We used to go there a few times when I was a kid. Caught my first and only "lunker" there!

The Crescent is an amazing place. I've never stayed there but have gone through it a few time. The shops downtown are pretty cool and the area is gorgeous.

OKCisOK4me
10-31-2013, 05:12 PM
I would definitely go there first before going back to Branson.

ljbab728
10-31-2013, 08:48 PM
Hot Springs is a fun and interesting destination with a lot of history.

bradh
10-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Love the Durango Silverton train ride!

As far as regional vacations, ski resorts that are in a decent drive are my faves.

CCOKC
10-31-2013, 09:07 PM
I love all of the places that have been mentioned so far. Another of my favorites is the Enchanted Circle area of northern New Mexico. I have a charter membership at Angel Fire and this summer my husband and I stayed in a condo there and used it as home base to take day trips to Taos and other places in the area. I just think it is so beautiful.

Praedura
10-31-2013, 09:14 PM
Hot Springs is a fun and interesting destination with a lot of history.

Here's a blog entry (with photos) of a couple's recent trip to Hot Springs:

Hot Springs, Arkansas | newlywedsinoklahoma (http://newlywedsinoklahoma.wordpress.com/2013/10/07/hot-springs-arkansas/)

http://newlywedsinoklahoma.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/20131006-203219.jpg

http://newlywedsinoklahoma.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/20131006-202825.jpg

http://newlywedsinoklahoma.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/20131006-202641.jpg

http://newlywedsinoklahoma.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/20131006-202513.jpg

http://newlywedsinoklahoma.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/20131006-202402.jpg

ljbab728
10-31-2013, 09:27 PM
I have stayed at the hotel in the last picture. It's the Arlington.

RadicalModerate
11-01-2013, 05:34 AM
A few years ago, in April of 2010, I made my first (and so far only) trip to Eureka Springs. I had heard about it all my life but just never seriously thought about going there. My wife and I went as part of a little anniversary trip. Even the drive to the place was fantastic. We stayed at some little cabins just outside of town but I know that the next time we go we will be staying at the Basin Park or the Crescent. There was nothing about Eureka Springs that I didn't like but one of the most memorable things was enjoying an afternoon adult beverage on the rooftop patio at the Crescent Hotel overlooking the entire valley. In fact, we enjoyed that little pleasure each of the three afternoons that we were there. Other highlights were the short trip down the road to Thorncrown Chapel, the visit to Keel's Creek Winery, and all of the art galleries you can visit walking up and down the steep streets.

I wasn't overly impressed with that "German" restaurant on the edge of town or Pivot Rock but that is only my opinion.

Did I forget to mention the "Christ of the Ozarks"?

The worst part of the whole experience was that none of the pictures I took, on the "Bic" camera that I bought at a local grocery store, in order to capture the experience, came out on account of the camera or the film were defective. However, my memories of how "magical" the place is are not.

btw: I've been to Hot Springs and Silverton/Durango. They are extra special, too. Still, if I had to choose, I'd have to go with Eureka Springs.

I'd also mention Duluth, Taylor's Falls or Stillwater Minnesota (in the summer) but they aren't regional so I won't.

MsProudSooner
11-01-2013, 09:42 AM
The Durango area is one of my absolute avorites, too. Pagosa Springs is nice, too. Colorado in general is my first choice for a driving vacation.

Bellaboo
11-01-2013, 11:34 AM
We did a little 3 day trip this summer to Denver just to expierence 'Red Rocks'. It truly is one of the best outdoor concert venues in the world. Saw OneRepublic and had a great time. One less on the bucket list.

betts
11-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Beavers Bend. You will not think you're in Oklahoma. It looks like New Hampshire. Nice cabins to rent in the area as well.

Mississippi Blues
11-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Durango / Aspen, CO. It's really hard to beat just about anywhere in Colorado as a vacation place (Personal opinion. Nobody respond & start naming off places that you find better, it's just an opinion).

RadicalModerate
11-01-2013, 06:46 PM
Durango / Aspen, CO. It's really hard to beat just about anywhere in Colorado as a vacation place (Personal opinion. Nobody respond & start naming off places that you find better, it's just an opinion).

Aspen is Amazing in August.
The side trip to The Maroon Bells is Breathtaking
You are correct, Sir.
(subjective opinionwise)

One of the most amazing--perhaps even bordering on "awesome"(?)-- experiences of my life so far was approaching Aspen, via Independence Pass (sort of south of Leadville and to the right), at night, instead of traversing the regular route, on the way to a motorcycle race at the dirt track next to the Aspen airport. One will never understand what The Night Sky looks like, until one stops--to take a leak--by the side of the road, at The Summit of Independence Pass on a clear August night. While hauling the race bike to the races, in Aspen, CO.

thanks for the reminder!

is Galveston still "regional"? i sorta liked Galveston. at least before the last couple of hurricanes.

Dustin
11-01-2013, 07:41 PM
Colorado Springs is always fun. Also, I've heard good things about Hot Springs, AR. I bet it's beautiful this time of year!

Lot's of Colorado in this thread.

RadicalModerate
11-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Colorado Springs is always fun. Also, I've heard good things about Hot Springs, AR. I bet it's beautiful this time of year!

Lot's of Colorado in this thread.

The Air Force Academy, The Garden o' The Gods, and The Cave o' the Winds are pretty cool . . .
Yet . . . I still have to place my "bets" on Here to Mena. In terms of gamboling.

If you ever considered a trip to "Colorado" in non-skiing season, ye olde fashioned lakeside amusement park (in conjunction with the new! improved! Elitch Gardens might be added to your itinerary? =)

Did I forget "Pike's Peak"? sorry =)

Teo9969
11-01-2013, 08:00 PM
Colorado is God's country.

RadicalModerate
11-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Colorado is God's country.

So is Oklahoma.
The only thing that really/actually matters is where are You Are At in connection with . . . ("God")

Isn't it? =)

(if that quip offends you, steer clear of colorado springs
way too many religious icons. imho =)

OKCisOK4me
11-01-2013, 09:44 PM
Another place in Arkansas that I'd like to visit would be a float trip down the Buffalo River. From what I understand, the experience on the Buffalo stands tall over that of an Illinois River outing. When I was in boy scouts, I would have gone to float the river with my troop but I ended up moving to Missouri. I did at least get to go to Philmont (a rather large boy scout camp out by Cimarron, New Mexico) where, unlike the typical boy scout that backpacks, we rode horses for a week in the northern half of camp. It was some of the best outdoor memories I've experienced to this day!

RadicalModerate
11-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Another place in Arkansas that I'd like to visit would be a float trip down the Buffalo River. From what I understand, the experience on the Buffalo stands tall over that of an Illinois River outing. When I was in boy scouts, I would have gone to float the river with my troop but I ended up moving to Missouri. I did at least get to go to Philmont (a rather large boy scout camp out by Cimarron, New Mexico) where, unlike the typical boy scout that backpacks, we rode horses for a week in the northern half of camp. It was some of the best outdoor memories I've experienced to this day!

I, for one, am happy that you got to "experience" The Buffalo River.
It is . . . for lack of a better . . . term: Awesome.
(no kidding. been there, done that. awesome doesn't begin to describe it)

Oh. Wait. You haven't done that yet.
See if you can find a canoe rental place in a (formerly) little town called "Gilbert, AK".

Seriously: A float trip down the Buffalo River in Arkansas is, (or, at least was--back in the day) one of the Very Best Life Experiences one can actually experience.