View Full Version : Hostels

Teo9969
10-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Why do we not have them in the US?

OKCisOK4me
10-29-2013, 05:16 PM
I was expecting to see foreign language out of your post! ;-)

We do. It's just that like foreigners, when they came to the US, they changed their name and dropped the S out...

kevinpate
10-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Several in the U.S., particularly Hawaii comes to mind. For others, see:
USA Hostels - Cheap Hostels in USA (http://www.hostels.com/usa)

Pete
10-29-2013, 05:28 PM
There are a bunch of them here in Cali.

But let's face it, in places like OKC you don't get many backpackers and there are tons of cheap hotels anyway; and very cheap places to eat.

I think the key to viability is lots and lots of young tourists and an otherwise expensive accommodation market.

kevinpate
10-29-2013, 05:33 PM
There are indeed Pete. However, most of the places that are sub 40 a night I wouldn't let my lovely or my daughter and g-babies or even my sons stay in on their own. The ones that are sub 30, I might check in if I was bug bombing the house, but I'd have to feel a real need to economize.

And that's from someone who often relishes finding a super bargain at a mom and pop type place elsewhere. Many of ours though are no longer by the night places, but rent weekly, and perhaps some rooms are hourly or 1/2 day rates.

Teo9969
10-29-2013, 05:39 PM
We obviously have an occasional hostel here or there, but they're not easy to find, and more than anything, they're not popularly used.

I would love to see one of these massive-unit developments allocate a portion of their development to a hostel, especially if someone builds a complex in west Bricktown. And the city ought to eventually incentivize such a thing, as hostels give people of all varieties a chance to experience the city for a more affordable price. Hostels usually have a large clientele base of young people, which is the demographic whose minds you want to most positively affect about OKC. Even better if it's connected to a network of other established hostels around the country.

I'd have never gone to Prague except the people that I met in hostels who recommend that I go there.

Pete
10-29-2013, 05:41 PM
Yes, the best thing about hostels is connecting with other travelers and learning about the community and area.

Might be more viable for OKC once train travel is extended.

Teo9969
10-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Yes, the best thing about hostels is connecting with other travelers and learning about the community and area.

Might be more viable for OKC once train travel is extended.

It certainly would be more viable, but you can always operate a bus route to places that might bring in tourists (Adventure District comes to mind).

I think I'd certainly wait until we have all of the MAPS3 projects finished up, but it never hurts to get the idea rolling now.

Pete
10-29-2013, 06:22 PM
I meant extended train travel to other cities rather than just Ft. Worth.

RadicalModerate
10-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Why do we not have them in the US?

Maybe those "slasher flix" provided too much bad PR, subliminal or otherwise?
Perhaps the concept would flourish if, rather than Hostels, they labeled them Bates Motels?

Teo9969
10-29-2013, 09:18 PM
I meant extended train travel to other cities rather than just Ft. Worth.

Ah…that I definitely agree on.

All the more reason ODOT REALLY REALLY needs to make this HSR from OKC to South Texas happen…having the ability to hit up San Antoino, Austin, Dallas, and OKC in one trip would be huge.

Pete
10-29-2013, 09:34 PM
When I was a kid, there were lots of train destinations from OKC.

We moved to Oklahoma from Milwaukee and my grandmother wouldn't fly, so at least once a year she'd take the train down and back again. I remember begin fascinated when we went on the car to see her sleeper unit.

Pretty sure you could get all the way to the west coast as well.

kevinpate
11-03-2013, 10:16 AM
You can go to the west coast from OKC now.

Among other places. One can also go to Chicago, and from there throughout the Midwest or down to New Orleans, or across the northwest or to the NE, and continue on.

Used to be one could go on to SA and not just west from there, but also over across the SE into Florida and on down south to Miami (or turn north up through the eastern seaboard states.) The southernmost route from SA through LA, MS, AL and FL no longer exists, though a route that go ENE on into the Carolinas and then to NY is still out there, and from Carolinas I believe one can go south into FL. Love trains. Wish my lovely did and we had more free time.

https://www.google.com/webhp?source=search_app#q=Amtrak+routes

Jeepnokc
11-03-2013, 07:56 PM
We just got back from Key West and there was a Youth Hostel there. Didn't stay there as a little past the youth part but noticed it going by.