View Full Version : OG&E Wind Power

Servicetech571
10-24-2013, 05:16 PM
Is anybody using it? I don't see the point of paying a higher power bill to get the REC's, am I missing something?

Wind Power (http://www.oge.com/environment/windpower/Pages/WindPower.aspx)

windowphobe
10-24-2013, 05:50 PM
I was an early adopter. When the first wind farm went on line, they sold subscriptions, so to speak, of 100 kWh at a time. I bought six. The argument I made at the time:

It's hard to see any downside to this program. Granted, there are summer days in Oklahoma when the temperature is around 100 degrees and there isn't enough wind to motivate a tumbleweed, let alone spin a turbine, but my A/C doesn't care where the amps come from. And from my political point of view, it's still a boon: it's an environmental gesture that will actually accomplish something without a great deal of lifestyle adjustment, the Saudis don't make a dime off it, and if some passing bird is shredded over Woodward, it will annoy PETA.

It was a tad cheaper then, but I haven't felt compelled to bail.

ctchandler
10-25-2013, 10:18 AM
Servicetech571,
When it was offered in the late 90's/early 2000's, I elected 100% and like windowphobe didn't mind a little more each month to enhance our chances for independence. It was costing me 5-10 dollars a month. I retired in 2004 and about two years ago decided I didn't want to pay the current 10-15 dollars more each month so I opted out. I still think it's a good thing.
C. T.

kevinpate
10-25-2013, 10:29 AM
I've been in sw ok a few times in recent weeks. There are way more towers down there than I had remembered from even just a few years back. But, I was traveling alone on these trips. So it's also possible I just spent more of the drive noticing the countryside than I used to when traveling with others.

king183
06-02-2014, 01:28 PM
Hi, all. I was looking into signing up for OG&E's wind power program because I want to support wind power, but I'm not entirely sure how it works and it isn't clear if I'm actually supporting the use of wind power by paying for Renewable Energy Credits. Can anyone with more knowledge of how it works provide more information? OG&E's website on it is not very helpful.