View Full Version : Pedestrian Crossings in Downtown/Bricktown

BDP
07-19-2005, 11:25 AM
As downtown and especially Bricktown have begun to create a lot of pedestrian traffic, I have noticed a lot of confusion when it comes to the crosswalks (i.e. not knowing to cross with the stop light). I often see pedestrians kind of look around waiting for the light to change only to realize that when it does change either 1) the light actually changed against their crossing or 2) the 'Walk' light doesn't come on because no one pushed the cross button and now the light isn't timed for a pedestrian crossing.

It seems to me that in cities with heavy pedestrian traffic that most, if not all, of the lights are already timed for pedestrian crossings. There is no need to push a button and the crossing indicators automatically change with the stoplights. I would love to see this in bricktown (and possibly in the CBD), especially at the heavily crossed intersections of Reno/Mickey Mantel, Reno/Gaylord, Sheridan/Oklahoma, and Sheridan/Walnut. I think it would make it safer and less stressful for visitors who may already be upset because they had to walk a few blocks from their parking spot.

You'll find that many municipalities only make these kind of changes when reacting to tragedy, like when someone gets hit because of the crossing confusion. I'd love to OKC be proactive on this point and not only make walking in bricktown less stressful and more enjoyable for many, but also much safer.

hipsterdoofus
07-19-2005, 11:37 AM
One thing I'd like to see more of in downtown is the pedestrian crossings with the countdown timer. I believe there are a few of these already and they are very nice. Last year I was in Washington DC and this is all they have. Very convenient and easier to understand than "WALK" followed 2 seconds later by "DON'T WALK".

mranderson
07-19-2005, 11:41 AM
Here are the rules for both pedestrian and wheeled traffic.

Pedestrian. NEVER cross on the red. Press the crosswalk button, and wait. If the traffic light turns green, then do what you are suppose to be doing when you drive. Wait a couple of seconds to make sure there are no idiots running a red, then proceed.

Motorized traffic. If someone is in the crosswalk, STOP EVEN IF YOUR LIGHT TURNS GREEN BEFORE THE PERSON IS ACROSS, AND WAIT UNTIL THEY ARE FULLY ACROSS!

A lot of Oklahomans think once that light turns green, no matter where the pedestrian is, they, the driver, have the right of way. No. The pedestrian does.

Watch drivers in California. They know the score. I do admit, however, more Oklahomas are waking up on this issue. What a surprise. An Oklahoman that actually knows how to drive.

BDP
07-19-2005, 12:52 PM
A lot of Oklahomans think once that light turns green, no matter where the pedestrian is, they, the driver, have the right of way. No. The pedestrian does.

Exactly. And I think the fact that sometimes the crosslight changes and sometimes it doesn't reinforces that confusion. In the end, you still have to push a button here to get a light properly timed for pedestrain crossings. It seems to me there are many intersections downtown where that is an unessecary step and the lights should already be timed for crossing.

The reality is, especially in bricktown, that many people in OK have little to no experience with how to properly cross with a light. All it would take would be to set the lights for pedestrian crossings automatically. Real simple, real cheap, real safe.

Luke
08-03-2005, 12:32 AM
I think the Reno/Gaylord intersection (the main entrance to Bricktown from the business district) should have what the Strip has in Vegas for their pedestrians: escalators (instead of stairs) leading to a pedestrian bridge over the street. It's a simple (perhaps pricey, yet very safe) addition that would leave lasting impressions on those staying within walking distance of Bricktown. It's "cool."

Dungeon Master
08-03-2005, 05:27 AM
All ideas are great, but there is one thing that would hold up any progress in the area.
The city office. They are so way behind and when something does come up, they bounce against you instead of helping you to succeed. The city office has an attitude problem (probably because they are short handed or they think they're God). Yes, it would probably be good for pedestrians and drivers both, but it's time for a reality check.