View Full Version : Another Teacher Killed

ThomPaine
10-24-2013, 08:15 AM
14-year-old accused of killing beloved Danvers, Massachusetts, teacher - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/23/justice/massachusetts-danvers-schools-closed/)

We give our Service Members "hazardous duty pay" (rightfully so), maybe we need to start doing the same for our teachers.

Another sad day.

kelroy55
10-24-2013, 08:32 AM
I saw that, very sad. From all accounts she was a very good teacher and very well liked. RIP

kelroy55
10-24-2013, 11:00 AM
An 11-year-old Washington state boy was arrested after bringing 400 rounds of ammunition, several knives and a handgun to school on Wednesday, police said.

Frontier Middle School, in Vancouver, Wash., was locked down for about two hours after ammunition was found at around 9:20 a.m. local time (12:20 p.m. ET).

The student was interviewed by detectives and later arrested on a count of attempted murder, police said. No injuries were reported.

The boy was booked into Clark County Juvenile Detention Center later Wednesday. He could appear in court on Thursday, local NBC News affiliate KGW reported.

Advertise | AdChoicesBoth the middle school and the adjacent Pioneer Elementary School were put on lockdown, the Evergreen Public School district announced on its Facebook page, and reopened later in the day.

Police spokeswoman Kim Kapp told the newspaper that investigators with the Major Crimes Unit started conducting interviews at 11:30 a.m. (2:30 p.m. ET) and these went on well into the night.

The arrest “concludes the majority of our investigation,” Kapp told NBC News in an email on Thursday. “Detectives will continue to interview additional people to see if anyone has anything else but no more arrests are anticipated.”

The school district notified parents about the incident through the district website as well as its Facebook page, district spokesman Kris Fay told local newspaper The Columbian. A text message and email alert system is only subscribed to by a small number of parents and often experiences delays, Fay told the paper.

“That’s scary,” parent Larisa Mohan told KGW. “I don’t feel very safe for my son to come.”

There are an estimated 900 students at Frontier Middle School and 600 at Pioneer Elementary School, according to The Columbian.

jerrywall
10-24-2013, 11:31 AM
Official: 14-year-old went to movies after killing teacher | Boston Herald (http://bostonherald.com/news_opinion/local_coverage/2013/10/official_14_year_old_went_to_movies_after_killing_ teacher)

Was he taking lessons from Lee Harvey Oswald?

kelroy55
10-24-2013, 01:41 PM
Can't imagine a 14y/o going to see a Woody Allen movie unless he was hiding out.

tomokc
10-24-2013, 04:18 PM
And police in Santa Rosa, CA shot a 13-year-old boy with a toy gun that apparently looked identical to an assault rifle.

In a moment of truth on the street, how can a police officer distinguish between a 13-year-old kid with a toy gun and a 14-year-old killer with a real gun?

bandnerd
10-24-2013, 05:01 PM
As a teacher, these stories are horrifying. My students are the best, but it's hard not to worry about things like this, at least a little bit. I know that statistically, it's nearly improbable that it will happen to me. But still, yikes. That poor young lady.