View Full Version : Memorial Stadium Master Plan

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

venture
10-23-2013, 03:17 PM
There will likely be more released at a later date on this, but they are at least going back and looking at the master plan for the facility.

OU Regents discuss football stadium master plan » New and Developing » The Norman Transcript (http://normantranscript.com/new/x252035303/OU-Regents-discuss-football-stadium-master-plan)

"It's a master plan study of the stadium so we can look at the whole stadium and try to set up a series of priorities," Boren said. "We don't want to just look at little tiny pieces of the stadium by itself. We want to look at the whole stadium. It's been over 20 years since there has been a master plan look at the whole stadium."

No timetable and funded by donations.

HangryHippo
10-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Excellent. I hope they're able to put some money into the concourses and restrooms. Those things are getting downright nasty and cramped. I assume this will also bring the new pressbox and maybe an addition of suites.

ou48A
10-23-2013, 03:32 PM
This sounds like a major overhaul is in the works for the OU football stadium.
Sounds like this would bring all aspects up to the state of the art and expanded some?
Something like this has been needed for awhile now.

ou48A
10-23-2013, 03:34 PM
From the DOK
Oklahoma planning update to football stadium "Master Plan;" stadium upgrades could be imminent | News OK (http://newsok.com/oklahoma-planning-update-to-football-stadium/article/3896699)

OKCisOK4me
10-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Maybe they can work on piping water in for those non working water fountain issues from Game 1.

HangryHippo
10-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Maybe they can work on piping water in for those non working water fountain issues from Game 1.

They've added several water fountains near the student section on the east side since the relief concert. So that's good. Unfortunately, the water they provide doesn't come out cold.

ou48A
10-23-2013, 04:12 PM
OU's football facility’s hurtle has not been near as steep as most others and while many other programs have completed or are in the middle of up-dates and expansions by going basically last it's going to keep the OU facility’s fresher looking for a very long time when compared to many of these other places...

The fresh look is important to many recruits.
With this BOR action OU can now start selling these plans to future recruits.

Geographer
10-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Look for strong wifi to be available throughout the stadium in the next couple seasons...this is a project that Joe C favors and has been discussed in meetings...They also want to be able to send out videos/stats/replay stuff during the game to your smart phone/device at the stadium while you're there.

ThomPaine
10-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Look for strong wifi to be available throughout the stadium in the next couple seasons...this is a project that Joe C favors and has been discussed in meetings...They also want to be able to send out videos/stats/replay stuff during the game to your smart phone/device at the stadium while you're there.

I feel kinda weird about this, but I guess I shouldn't care. Half the folks under 40 are already paying more attention to their phones than they are the game anyway. I guess they have to do whatever they can to keep people buying tickets.

mugofbeer
10-23-2013, 09:36 PM
I would be happy if my (*#^@^!!!!! phone could receive or send a text from inside the stadium.

ljbab728
10-23-2013, 10:08 PM
I would be happy if my (*#^@^!!!!! phone could receive or send a text from inside the stadium.
You know, I think that's great for people who are interested but a text message while watching a football game is the least of my interests.

TheSocialGadfly
10-24-2013, 01:52 AM
This could turn out to be a huge project. I'm excited to see the end result.

OKVision4U
10-24-2013, 06:47 AM
The reason Boren wants a "new" Wholistic Approach could be because of this:

Top 50 College Football Stadiums to See Before You Die | Bleacher Report (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1462868-top-50-college-football-stadiums-to-see-before-you-die#/articles/1462868-top-50-college-football-stadiums-to-see-before-you-die/page/19)

In the report, it said that stadium would have been much higher in the survey, but: it only seats 84 K and kinda disappointing for a Top 5 program (in short). Stadium did not equal the great history.

Boren will put things where they need to be. Got no doubt.

warreng88
10-24-2013, 07:16 AM
There have been multiple people who have said they cannot bowl in the stadium due to the wind in Oklahoma. If they redid the west side upper deck, they could potentially bowl in the whole north side. That would add about 20,000 people or more.

ou48A
10-24-2013, 11:30 AM
You know, I think that's great for people who are interested but a text message while watching a football game is the least of my interests.I agree... I'm there to watch a football game cheer on my team and not much more!
There are so many who spend so much time in their device that they miss a great deal of the game.... Many of the same people leave often before the games out come is finalized... It's like why do you even bother to show up.

shavethewhales
10-24-2013, 11:37 AM
There have been multiple people who have said they cannot bowl in the stadium due to the wind in Oklahoma. If they redid the west side upper deck, they could potentially bowl in the whole north side. That would add about 20,000 people or more.

Ha ha, are there any links to this? As a student in civil engineering that sounds hilarious to me. We certainly have the capability to bowl in the stadium - whether or not it is worth it financially is probably closer to the real issue. How many people would you really add with those corners? And they would be cheap seats anyway.

I think the real hurdle, which someone here mentioned before, is the issues with continuing to increase traffic flow into campus without developing some serious road improvements first. I don't think there's any way the city would let them add 10,000 seats to the stadium right now.

BoulderSooner
10-24-2013, 11:44 AM
Ha ha, are there any links to this? As a student in civil engineering that sounds hilarious to me. We certainly have the capability to bowl in the stadium - whether or not it is worth it financially is probably closer to the real issue. How many people would you really add with those corners? And they would be cheap seats anyway.

I think the real hurdle, which someone here mentioned before, is the issues with continuing to increase traffic flow into campus without developing some serious road improvements first. I don't think there's any way the city would let them add 10,000 seats to the stadium right now.

The city of Norman has no say in what OU builds.

venture
10-24-2013, 11:46 AM

City can't stop it...if OU would even do it. Of course OU wants to block any expansion of Lindsey after Berry through campus. So that kinda goes against your opinion on what needs to happen. Though we already have a thread on that.

SoonerDave
10-24-2013, 11:50 AM
As far as the currency of the upgrades go, most folks here don't realize or are just forgetting the new east decks were finished for the '04 season, only nine years ago....

I, for one, would hate to see the north endzone bowled/decked. Joe C has said in the past he prefers to spend $$ on seats "between the 20's." ...

Bowling in the south endzone (including rebuildling the existing structure) is intriguing, but I suspect cost-impractical.

I think the biggest need is the pressbox. That thing is a dinosaur and was out of date ten years ago. Think it would have been redone in the last batch of upgrades were it not for the economy meltdown.

West deck concessions are in need of upgrade. The logsitics up there are a mess right now.

Glad to see they're visiting the situation.

adaniel
10-24-2013, 11:59 AM
I don't think they would ever bowl in the endzone, or do anything to drastically increase seating at this time. The "6 year waiting list" is more a myth than anything, and I would hate the image of a nice, new stadium with rows of empty seats during game time (cough cough OSU cough).

Pressbox, the addition of more suites, and improving the upper west decks are probably the most pressing needs. I would second the west deck is in bad shape.

dankrutka
10-24-2013, 12:05 PM
I'd love to bowl in the stadium at some point. I just don't like the end zone or the openings at all. I agree that OU does not need many more seats now. Tickets can be had to every OU game (except for very big games like Notre Dame or K-State last season) for under half of face value now. However, if they demolished the end zone seats and bowled it in as is architecturally possible with the Swizer Center impediment, it would not necessarily add that many more seats if it was just one level like the north end zone. Maybe a few thousand to get to 90,000, which would be fine.

warreng88
10-24-2013, 12:08 PM

I heard it about five years ago so conclusions may have changed since then. Everytime I google search for "University of Oklahoma bowl in stadium", I only get searches talking about OU's bowl games. I'll keep searching and if I find it, I will post it here.

ou48A
10-24-2013, 12:34 PM
I'd love to bowl in the stadium at some point. I just don't like the end zone or the openings at all. I agree that OU does not need many more seats now. Tickets can be had to every OU game (except for very big games like Notre Dame or K-State last season) for under half of face value now. However, if they demolished the end zone seats and bowled it in as is architecturally possible with the Swizer Center impediment, it would not necessarily add that many more seats if it was just one level like the north end zone. Maybe a few thousand to get to 90,000, which would be fine.

It is entirely possible to keep the Switzer center intact and rebuild parts of the south end zone seating.
But one idea I heard that probably make a lot of sense was that they might move move the Switzer center to the Bud?

ou48A
10-24-2013, 12:36 PM
As of last spring, according to Joe C OU's top priority would be a new press box that would include a small stadium expansion and span the entire west side.

The second expansion priority was a major south end zone expansion project. While OU would not charge big bucks for these end zone seats they are also probably a lot cheaper to construct at ground levels than seats that are in large upper decks.

ou48A
10-24-2013, 12:50 PM

Much to the chagrin of many posters here I learned late yesterday and on good authority that responsible officials at very high levels have realized the need and are quietly (just starting) working on a major new traffic plan that would help with OU football traffic. It would apparently involve some significant construction.

And as you say we certainly do have the capability to bowl in the stadium or add upper decks... For engineers this really is pretty simple stuff.

OKVision4U
10-24-2013, 12:55 PM
As of last spring, according to Joe C OU's top priority would be a new press box that would include a small stadium expansion and span the entire west side.

The second expansion priority was a major south end zone expansion project. While OU would not charge big bucks for these end zone seats they are also probably a lot cheaper to construct at ground levels than seats that are in large upper decks.

This would be the best big moves that can be made w/o being too much to undertake. The South Endzone would be a big help if it was enclosed ( Close and intimidating like The Swamp ). Help keep the noise to a constant roar & add to the home field advantage. Plus get us to 105 K. We can do every week.

dankrutka
10-24-2013, 01:00 PM
OU definitely does not need 105,000 seats when $94 tickets are going for $20-30 pretty much every game.

BG918
10-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Much to the chagrin of many posters here I learned late yesterday and on good authority that responsible officials at very high levels have realized the need and are quietly (just starting) working on a major new traffic plan that would help with OU football traffic. It would apparently involve some significant construction.

Making Highway 9 a limited access freeway with interchanges at Jenkins, Chautauqua, Imhoff and 24th? That is the best way to funnel traffic into and out of campus.

ou48A
10-24-2013, 01:02 PM
One question I have not heard answered yet is how will OU pay for the new stadium construction?

Usually when OU builds something as major as this OU has received significant donations for the project.

Perhaps some of the new oil wealth to OU people finds its way to this project..... that would not be at all unusual as oil and NG interest are responsible for a very high presentage of major donations to OU going back for almost 100 years.

OKVision4U
10-24-2013, 01:13 PM
OU definitely does not need 105,000 seats when $94 tickets are going for $20-30 pretty much every game.

The history of the OU program should put us in the 105 K capacity. We can fill that every Saturday. And maybe those (less desired seats) could be lowered in price?

I want those 105 K fans gett'n loud. It would be a great point for the recruiting story as well.

warreng88
10-24-2013, 01:27 PM
One question I have not heard answered yet is how will OU pay for the new stadium construction?

From the article:

The cost will be paid for by private donations, according to Castiglione.

HangryHippo
10-24-2013, 01:52 PM
From the article:

The cost will be paid for by private donations, according to Castiglione.

That was for the master plan update, but I think ou48A was asking about actual construction for projects that the master plan deems appropriate. At least that was my take, but he'll correct us.

venture
10-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Hwy 9 to an interstate level isn't going to happen.

I'm pretty sure all expansion will be done with donations. I'm sure Joe C will clear it up when it becomes more of a likelihood.

KenRagsdale
10-24-2013, 02:24 PM
I would proceed cautiously. It's crtically important to keep in mind three words prior to proceeding:

1.) High;
2.) Definition;
3.) television.

Geographer
10-24-2013, 02:36 PM
I would proceed cautiously. It's crtically important to keep in mind three words prior to proceeding:

1.) High;
2.) Definition;
3.) television.

which is why Joe C is pushing for the wifi and other technological advances (such as being able to send replay and other stats to your phone) in the stadium.

HangryHippo
10-24-2013, 02:37 PM
which is why Joe C is pushing for the wifi and other technological advances (such as being able to send replay and other stats to your phone) in the stadium.

Geographer, have you heard what other renovations we might be talking about? Anything to do with moving the Switzer Center?

Geographer
10-24-2013, 02:42 PM
Geographer, have you heard what other renovations we might be talking about? Anything to do with moving the Switzer Center?

I haven't heard anything about that, but that doesn't mean something isn't in the works if you've heard something.

ou48A
10-24-2013, 03:37 PM
That was for the master plan update, but I think ou48A was asking about actual construction for projects that the master plan deems appropriate. At least that was my take, but he'll correct us.

Yes I am asking how will the actually construction will be paid for?

How much OU revives in donations will have a big impact on what actually gets built?
If who OU has contracted with is any indication, based on some of their previous work this appears to be a major stadium project......... I would imagine that OU probably has most of the needed donors lined up for this project other wise OU officials would look pretty bad if these plans did not work out.

ou48A
10-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Making Highway 9 a limited access freeway with interchanges at Jenkins, Chautauqua, Imhoff and 24th? That is the best way to funnel traffic into and out of campus.

I would agree that this^ is needed but it really one of several things that are needed
Its virtually a given that HY9 will eventually be brought up to interstate standards but when is the question?

While I wasn't told and specifics they know they need to do something and are kicking around thoughts and ideas on a plan to improve football traffic... The important thing to know is that they now know that the traffic / parking is already pretty much at the maximum for what most people will tolerate and that if they want to significantly add onto the stadium they must developer a plan to handle a lot more traffic. They know that the current traffic problems are keeping some people from attending games.

OU has conducted 2 survey's that I participated in that I know of with some of its season ticket holders/donors. They apparently receive a great deal of negative feed back on the bad parking and traffic issues in Norman.

I guessing that a one way Flood street could be a possibility fairly soon and that making Lindsey 4 lanes from Elm to the west is almost certain to happen with in the next 15 or so years.
It would not solve the problem but I'm hoping that a commuter rail system would play a role in helping this issue.

OKCretro
10-24-2013, 03:53 PM
i have heard that their will be a recruit lounge/players family lounge on one corner of that end zone. Like a big suite level thing that recruits and others can go to before /during halftime/and end of game. This would be a great idea.

venture
10-24-2013, 04:26 PM
I guessing that a one way Flood street could be a possibility fairly soon and that making Lindsey 4 lanes from Elm to the west is almost certain to happen with in the next 15 or so years.
It would not solve the problem but I'm hoping that a commuter rail system would play a role in helping this issue.

Commuter rail would be a big help. People could just park downtown and take the train in.

Flood is a different animal. North of Main it isn't a big issue, but getting further south you start getting into a more dense, higher value residential area. You are also looking at a ton of curb cuts which isn't going to solve anything. A better solution is to create a by-pass of sorts from Flood/Robinson curving over Hayes and then follow University down. North of Downtown you are dealing with all sub $80K homes which makes buying out much more reasonable. Just south of Downtown is where the problems start which homes $400-600K - so 4-lanes is out. However, 2-lane with single lane roundabouts would easily handle the increased traffic through there. Of course at that point you are just needing to provide a gateway into Campus. It won't solve any parking concerns. This is where a garage or two at campus corner - along with other development options - could be a solution.

I'm not going to hit on Lindsey that much...we already have 20+ page thread on that, and if people can't keep comments in that area which Berry to Elm has also been discussed, then well...the wall in front of me would provide more stimulating conversation. :)

ou48A
10-24-2013, 04:53 PM
I think the idea is to temporary make Flood one way north after football games much like the do with Lindsey. It would cost some money and it would be a pain for some. They would need lots of new signage, adjust traffic lights/ stop signs and maybe add some man power.
But this would probably be the quickest and cheapest way to make the problem better. There are other places where better traffic control at key intersections would help out a lot.

Geographer
10-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Here's to planning the city for 6 days a year. *raises glass*

ou48A
10-24-2013, 07:46 PM
Here's to planning the city for 6 days a year. *raises glass*

Actually it's a plan that's not nearly that^ narrow minded!

It's a plan to keep and increases the many millions that flow into and benefit the community 365 days a year and year after year.....Just like OU is making a big investment in their stadium to keep and expand, the city of Norman will be making investments to help keep and expand this needed revenue source to the community.

venture
10-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Actually it's a plan that's not nearly that^ narrow minded!

It's a plan to keep and increases the many millions that flow into and benefit the community 365 days a year and year after year.....Just like OU is making a big investment in their stadium to keep and expand, the city of Norman will be making investments to help keep and expand this needed revenue source to the community.

It's pretty close, but someone that shares the same line of thought naturally would not call them narrow minded - that's for the 99% of the other posters on this board to do - and have. Repeatedly.

This will be a good investment for OU and Norman, but it obviously doesn't provide continuous revenue to the city. I'm in favor a better connector from the North. With Hwy 9 on the south that essentially takes care of getting traffic in and out of OU during high traffic days. Now if we could just get that train...

ou48A
10-24-2013, 09:59 PM
It's pretty close, but someone that shares the same line of thought naturally would not call them narrow minded - that's for the 99% of the other posters on this board to do - and have. Repeatedly.

This will be a good investment for OU and Norman, but it obviously doesn't provide continuous revenue to the city. I'm in favor a better connector from the North. With Hwy 9 on the south that essentially takes care of getting traffic in and out of OU during high traffic days. Now if we could just get that train...

Because the money turns over in the community many, many times OU athletics does provide continuous revenue to the community, just like it has for many decades. There is almost always some construction project occurring too.

Because of the multiplier effect to the entire local community OU football has amounted to billions of dollars worth of economic activity to the local economy.
In part because there are tons of OU fans who have moved to Norman, many in there retirement years so they can watch OU events more easily.

To see this as just 6 day event is truly narrow minded and that really is being very nice about it to say the least! Its true economic ignorance of Norman/OU to not understand this. Responsible people understand it well and that's about all that really matters

Because they have done research officials now know that they are up against what most fans will tolerate from traffic and parking congestion. This has provided the motivation to finally act.

Although I do not know what will be done it makes pure economic sense for the city to improve its traffic planing and street capacity to ensure that this large revenue stream to the community can continue and be expanded if desired.

OKVision4U
11-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Well, we certainly need a big boost in the OU stadium now. With all the negative press we are having now, a new stadium expansion would be a tool that Bob Stoops could use to get a few receivers that can catch. A Tight End that can be a difference maker. Some D-line / Some run stopping MLB's. ...a punter, a kicker, an offensive line that can keep them off the QB's back for a 4 count.

When Baylor is OUT-Recruiting you, then we have to WOW them into Norman.

TAlan CB
11-11-2013, 04:28 PM
I know that OU feels it needs to keep up with the 'Jones', but sometimes these 'improved stadiums' are not an improvement. When OSU closed in their end-zone they added new seats, boxes, restaurants, etc. Having attended many games in Stillwater, I don't think it was an improvement. It is true that the setting sun caused problems as it came right down the field, but with the box seats wrapping around the stadium, good views of the campus from the stadium, and of the seating from outside were blocked. Now the stadium seems out-sized to the campus and separate from it despite its architecture. As an alumni and architect I don't like it. Tulsa improved their stadium with better facilities, but fewer seats - why not, it was seldom filled. As an OU graduate as well, I enjoyed going to game's in the old stadium, but there have been many improvements at the stadium - most of them good. I am sure they could fill in most of the new seats, but at what point is it too much. Just look at Nebraska, Penn State, Tennessee - all stadiums expanded to the point of real eyesores - and fixing them or replacing would be very expensive. look at TCU and Baylor, new stadiums of similar capacity, just better quality. Well, hope it goes well, and does not become another mega-ugly embarrassment to the University. It can be done, but does it need to be?

OKVision4U
11-11-2013, 04:42 PM
I know that OU feels it needs to keep up with the 'Jones', but sometimes these 'improved stadiums' are not an improvement. When OSU closed in their end-zone they added new seats, boxes, restaurants, etc. Having attended many games in Stillwater, I don't think it was an improvement. It is true that the setting sun caused problems as it came right down the field, but with the box seats wrapping around the stadium, good views of the campus from the stadium, and of the seating from outside were blocked. Now the stadium seems out-sized to the campus and separate from it despite its architecture. As an alumni and architect I don't like it. Tulsa improved their stadium with better facilities, but fewer seats - why not, it was seldom filled. As an OU graduate as well, I enjoyed going to game's in the old stadium, but there have been many improvements at the stadium - most of them good. I am sure they could fill in most of the new seats, but at what point is it too much. Just look at Nebraska, Penn State, Tennessee - all stadiums expanded to the point of real eyesores - and fixing them or replacing would be very expensive. look at TCU and Baylor, new stadiums of similar capacity, just better quality. Well, hope it goes well, and does not become another mega-ugly embarrassment to the University. It can be done, but does it need to be?

...if we end up 8-4, then Bob will need something he can sell to the upper level recruits. The difference makers. If it is great "enhancement" that has the WOW factor, then yes. If it is just a few more suites w/ a new pressbox, then that will only be a small impact to the High Level Difference maker recruits. A big difference between the two. Is it worth the gamble? ...I don't want to use the Go Big or go home, but yes, it is a priority. Remember, this is about football players and you have to have the right ones on your sideline when the game starts.

venture
11-11-2013, 04:57 PM
...if we end up 8-4, then Bob will need something he can sell to the upper level recruits. The difference makers. If it is great "enhancement" that has the WOW factor, then yes. If it is just a few more suites w/ a new pressbox, then that will only be a small impact to the High Level Difference maker recruits. A big difference between the two. Is it worth the gamble? ...I don't want to use the Go Big or go home, but yes, it is a priority. Remember, this is about football players and you have to have the right ones on your sideline when the game starts.

While the stadium needs some updating, the school already has state of the art facilities outside of it.

onthestrip
11-11-2013, 05:25 PM
...if we end up 8-4, then Bob will need something he can sell to the upper level recruits. The difference makers. If it is great "enhancement" that has the WOW factor, then yes. If it is just a few more suites w/ a new pressbox, then that will only be a small impact to the High Level Difference maker recruits. A big difference between the two. Is it worth the gamble? ...I don't want to use the Go Big or go home, but yes, it is a priority. Remember, this is about football players and you have to have the right ones on your sideline when the game starts.I'm guessing but I have a feeling high school athletes care more about the quality of locker rooms, players lounges, training facilities rather than if there are more suites or club levels. They don't use those, they aren't spectators. I doubt adding capacity and new suites factors much compared to the slick new athletic dorms or Switzer center. I think you might be over-reacting from 2 losses.

SoonerDave
11-11-2013, 06:01 PM
Well, we certainly need a big boost in the OU stadium now. With all the negative press we are having now, a new stadium expansion would be a tool that Bob Stoops could use to get a few receivers that can catch. A Tight End that can be a difference maker. Some D-line / Some run stopping MLB's. ...a punter, a kicker, an offensive line that can keep them off the QB's back for a 4 count.

So why isn't UCLA, which plays in the Rose Bowl, and seats just under 100K based on its most recent upgrades, isn't winning national titles every year?

How long has Tennessee, with its 100K capacity, been all-but irrelevant to CFB?

You know what? OU needs to win. Oregon didn't buy a 100K seat facility first; they started winning. Stanford, if I'm correct, tore down a facility and replaced it with a smaller one - and started (and continued) winning.

If all it takes is a giant stadium and great, flashy scoreboards, why aren't schools just running to Jerry Jones and begging to rent out JerryWorld?

I guess my frustration in this thread is the fact that I am a HUGE ADVOCATE of proper, smart upgrades and expansion to OMS. But this blind notion of "we've gotta go to 100K NOW or we're doomed" just makes it nearly impossible to be such an advocate without it simultaneously sounding like we have to just start throwing bricks and chairs at the stadium.

I'm first in line to suggest we need a new pressbox and corresponding suites. That's smart. That's sensible. But this seeming insistence that we have to expand to 100K (or whatever the number is this week) or Face Ultimate Doom (tm) is, well, exhausting. It just makes the effort to discuss good ways to continue upgrading our stadium seem kinda futile - like if you don't advocate the Blind Upgrade to the Next Biggest Factor Of Ten, that somehow you're Just Not a Real Fan. Heck, I read an article in the last two weeks where some Nebraska folks are speculating they've expanded their stadium too much and too quickly.

OU has bigger problems than their stadium. We've got what looks to many observers like a train wreck within the offensive coaching staff, with mismanaged talent and misguided playcalling. Right or wrong, that public perception gets recruits' attention, too. National media is starting to look at Oklahoma and ask "What on earth is going on down there?" What TE in their right mind would come to OU right now (regardless of stadium size), given what they haven't done with TE's since Gresham was done going into the 2009 season?

Its about perspective, folks. I don't mean to rain on the parade of enthusiasm for enhancing OMS, but its just one piece of the puzzle.

traxx
11-12-2013, 07:51 AM

If all these things are needs, then a stadium isn't going to fix it. Being out recruited and out coached by the likes of Baylor and other teams indicates a problem with the coaching, not the stadium. Our coaches either need to get their act together or we need new coaches.

OKVision4U
11-12-2013, 07:58 AM
So why isn't UCLA, which plays in the Rose Bowl, and seats just under 100K based on its most recent upgrades, isn't winning national titles every year?

How long has Tennessee, with its 100K capacity, been all-but irrelevant to CFB?

You know what? OU needs to win. Oregon didn't buy a 100K seat facility first; they started winning. Stanford, if I'm correct, tore down a facility and replaced it with a smaller one - and started (and continued) winning.

If all it takes is a giant stadium and great, flashy scoreboards, why aren't schools just running to Jerry Jones and begging to rent out JerryWorld?

I guess my frustration in this thread is the fact that I am a HUGE ADVOCATE of proper, smart upgrades and expansion to OMS. But this blind notion of "we've gotta go to 100K NOW or we're doomed" just makes it nearly impossible to be such an advocate without it simultaneously sounding like we have to just start throwing bricks and chairs at the stadium.

I'm first in line to suggest we need a new pressbox and corresponding suites. That's smart. That's sensible. But this seeming insistence that we have to expand to 100K (or whatever the number is this week) or Face Ultimate Doom (tm) is, well, exhausting. It just makes the effort to discuss good ways to continue upgrading our stadium seem kinda futile - like if you don't advocate the Blind Upgrade to the Next Biggest Factor Of Ten, that somehow you're Just Not a Real Fan. Heck, I read an article in the last two weeks where some Nebraska folks are speculating they've expanded their stadium too much and too quickly.

OU has bigger problems than their stadium. We've got what looks to many observers like a train wreck within the offensive coaching staff, with mismanaged talent and misguided playcalling. Right or wrong, that public perception gets recruits' attention, too. National media is starting to look at Oklahoma and ask "What on earth is going on down there?" What TE in their right mind would come to OU right now (regardless of stadium size), given what they haven't done with TE's since Gresham was done going into the 2009 season?

Its about perspective, folks. I don't mean to rain on the parade of enthusiasm for enhancing OMS, but its just one piece of the puzzle.

I have been to the UCLA games many times. The reason the college team is not supported in greater numbers for football is the location of the Rose Bowl in Pasadena. It is completely removed from Westwood. The game is about wine & cheese for them, not football. Not the 100K stadium.

I am talking about competing against our local / regional competition... TCU / A&M / UT / Baylor / OSU / Tech. This is our recruiting base and we must remain significant if we want to continue what Bud W. started. ...if we don't, then don't build anything. The landscape of college football is different than it was even 20 years ago, re: Recruiting. That 17 &18 year old kids that wants to play CF is looking for more than just a few extra trophies in the cabinet. If all they wanted was trophies, than OSU / Baylor would not be getting ANY recruits at all. If all they wanted was trophies, than OU would have a receiver that could catch and we would have beaten Baylor ( just like we have for years). ...Kids today want all that "stuff".

Guys, this "sloppy big loss (29 points) w/ an average Baylor qb, 3rd string rb" was the slap in the face for our program. I'm not saying we are doomed. I'm saying OU has ZERO swagger. The mid level teams use OU as a launching point for their program. This has taken its toll over the past 5 years. It has added up to this moment. We got beat by Baylor by 29 points becuase they had enough athletes on the field that could compete w/ OU and in this case, beat us by 29. We did not lose to RG3, we lost to the NEW Big 12 power....Baylor?

SoonerDave, ...Please tell me how OSU did in 2012? You said "flashy scoreboards & giant stadium", well all you have to do is look at OSU. Why did Mr. Pickens spend over 100 Mil in Stillwater? ...answer that. To make them significant. To draw the recruit to Stillwater. To win games against OU. ...That is the slap in the face too.

Guys, we are not "doomed", we are just behind. ...and on that slippery slope called average. The (State of the Program) is this, if we finish the season 8-4, and more beatings on national TV, how many recruits (difference makers) will sign a LOI w/ OU in 2015 / 2016? If we lose to OSU on national TV, what is that going to feel like?

So, I ask you, do we want to remain significant? ...then we need that WOW in Norman. It needs to look like the Biggest, Brightest Party in the Big 12 that all recruits want to come to and Bob S can have that story to tell.

...or we can replace a pressbox w/ a few more suites, and in 2016 we will continue to get beat by the Mid Level programs on national TV. ...and it won't be that big of a deal to report from that new pressbox, because it happens all the time.

venture
11-12-2013, 08:12 AM
I have zero problem modernizing and expanding the stadium. Thinking it will lead to national prominence again though is foolish. While top rated facilities are going to be on a recruits plate, so are quality of the coaching staff, quality schedule/opponents, and proper path to the NFL.

The schedule isn't horrible, but has taken a hit. Getting to the NFL is there, but not as easy as it use to be. The coaching quality though is in the toilet right now in several positions (not every one).

OKVision4U
11-12-2013, 08:13 AM
If all these things are needs, then a stadium isn't going to fix it. Being out recruited and out coached by the likes of Baylor and other teams indicates a problem with the coaching, not the stadium. Our coaches either need to get their act together or we need new coaches.

Guys, we can stick our heads in the sand if we want to, but all you have to do is ask "why did Gundy ask for a new make-over" for his facilities? He could coach, but the kids did not want to be there. You must look at the over-all level of talent. ...it is at a constant now.

Yes, the OC at OU needs to be moved, but we still rely on the elite athlete to be at OU, not just the average athlete. That is the recipe' for our success.

OKVision4U
11-12-2013, 08:23 AM
I'm guessing but I have a feeling high school athletes care more about the quality of locker rooms, players lounges, training facilities rather than if there are more suites or club levels. They don't use those, they aren't spectators. I doubt adding capacity and new suites factors much compared to the slick new athletic dorms or Switzer center. I think you might be over-reacting from 2 losses.

...who just beat us by 29 on national TV? ...the new Big 12 power...Baylor ! That stadium is not the old "pature" it used to be, it is a new shiny toy that Coach Briels is using against Bob S.

....Gundy, is using that shiny new toy at his school too. ...A&M is using that new "story" of a toy to find their next Johnny Football.

venture
11-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Guys, we can stick our heads in the sand if we want to....

Well let us know when yours it out of the sand so we can discuss this topic, and others you chime in on, logically without delusional claims. How's your 20-story tower in South Norman doing?

Just the facts
11-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Just look at Nebraska, Penn State, Tennessee - all stadiums expanded to the point of real eyesores - and fixing them or replacing would be very expensive. look at TCU and Baylor, new stadiums of similar capacity, just better quality. Well, hope it goes well, and does not become another mega-ugly embarrassment to the University. It can be done, but does it need to be?

I wish more people would adopt the 'less is more' philosophy. I'm not sure what OU could do at this point but if money was no object I would build a 65,000 stadium that improved the fan experience over seating capacity. But we all know there is no ranking of college stadium by 'fan experience' and everyone wants to be #1 on some list - so seating capacity it is.

OKVision4U
11-12-2013, 08:49 AM
I wish more people would adopt the 'less is more' philosophy. I'm not sure what OU could do at this point but if money was no object I would build a 65,000 stadium that improved the fan experience over seating capacity. But we all know there is no ranking of college stadium by 'fan experience' and everyone wants to be #1 on some list - so seating capacity it is.

When minor programs ( TCU / Baylor ) rise up in a small amount of time, to become a constant thorn in our sides...how did they achieve that?

Less is more, is not what the landscape of college football is today. It's about competition. On & Off the field.