View Full Version : Calif. police shoot, kill 13-year-old with fake rifle

GoOKC1991
10-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Calif. police shoot, kill 13-year-old with fake rifle - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57608903/calif-police-shoot-kill-13-year-old-with-fake-rifle/)

Were the police right or wrong? To me, if the Cops thought it looked real, you can't blame them.

Martin
10-23-2013, 02:38 PM
i'm not sure what's worse... that california police are being issued fake rifles or that fake rifles are dangerous enough to kill someone. -M

Mississippi Blues
10-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Given that they told him to put it on the ground & didn't realize it was a fake till shots had been fired & the boy was deceased, I don't really think you can say they were in the wrong or that I blame them. It was just a bad situation once the boy didn't put it on the ground as asked.

Just the facts
10-23-2013, 02:44 PM
A sad situation indeed and I am sure there is a lot more to the story. I wonder if the 13 year old could understand the words the police officers were saying or if he was playing 'cops and robbers' with real cops.

OKCisOK4me
10-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Die Hard premonition?

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5471/10447385425_b1cf4f2d9f.jpg

" I shot a kid. He was 13 years old. Oh, it was dark, I couldn't see him, he had a ray gun, looked real enough. You know when you're a rookie they can teach you everything about being a cop, except how to live with a mistake. Anyway, I just couldn't bring myself to draw my gun on anyone again. "

kelroy55
10-23-2013, 04:37 PM
"Deputies then discovered that the gun the man had been carrying was a replica, and he also had a plastic gun in his waistband"

I think toy guns come with an orange tip to identify them as a toy but most kids take it off or paint it black. The picture looks like it wasn't there. Might have been a split second decision and I can't blame the police.

RadicalModerate
10-24-2013, 05:40 AM
i'm not sure what's worse... that california police are being issued fake rifles or that fake rifles are dangerous enough to kill someone. -M

Exactly my first thought(s) . . . On the other hand, police could have used the fake rifle as a club.

Anyway, I just couldn't bring myself to draw my gun on anyone again . . . "
. . . "They stopped issuing Magic Markers and Sharpies and I wasn't about to pay for one out of my own pocket."